50 police officers under probe for allowing billboards on Bangkok police kiosks

webfact

50 police officers under probe for allowing billboards on police kiosks

BANGKOK: -- About 50 police superintendents at various police stations in Bangkok are under investigation for allowing advertising billboards to be installed at police kiosks.

The probe was ordered by Pol Lt-Gen SrivaraRangsipromnakul, acting commissioner of Metropolitan Police Bureau to determine if there were any irregularities involved, said Pol Lt-Gen PrawuthThavornsiri, spokesman of the National Police Office.

He said that the presence of advertising billboards at police kiosks had been going on for a long time as it was a sort of cooperation between private companies and the police to make use of the empty space for publicity purpose.

However, he said that this arrangement was against regulations as there has not been any consent from the police office.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/50-police-officers-probe-allowing-billboards-police-kiosks/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-11-07

50 police officers under probe for allowing billboards on police kiosks

BANGKOK: -- About 50 police superintendents at various police stations in Bangkok are under investigation for allowing advertising billboards to be installed at police kiosks.

The probe was ordered by Pol Lt-Gen SrivaraRangsipromnakul, acting commissioner of Metropolitan Police Bureau to determine if there were any irregularities involved, said Pol Lt-Gen PrawuthThavornsiri, spokesman of the National Police Office.

He said that the presence of advertising billboards at police kiosks had been going on for a long time as it was a sort of cooperation between private companies and the police to make use of the empty space for publicity purpose.

However, he said that this arrangement was against regulations as there has not been any consent from the police office.

He said that the presence of advertising billboards at police kiosks had been going on for a long time as it was a sort of cooperation between private companies and the police to make use of the empty space for publicity and hopefully charitable purposes.whistling.gif .

However, he said that this arrangement was against regulations as to date there appears to have not been any commission payments received by any nominated ''police farce force charities.''whistling.gif

Edited by siampolee

There is simply no end to the corruption,recalcitrance and malfeasance .of this pathetic organization.

On Wednesday evening as I was passing the police control both at Ratchadamneunnok Road I glanced inside at the three officers who were all sitting around drinking beer without a care in the world.

• Like 1

In the grand scheme of things, it's a pretty small infraction of the supposed law. But of course it's indicative of the absolute disregard that this organ station have for the law they are meant to uphold.

But, if you don't provide sufficient equipment, including police booths, training and remuneration, then you get what you deserve.

Any politicians listening? No, I didn't think so. An efficient proactive police force isn't really in their interests as it would shut down the gravy train THEY are on.

There is simply no end to the corruption,recalcitrance and malfeasance .of this pathetic organization.

On Wednesday evening as I was passing the police control both at Ratchadamneunnok Road I glanced inside at the three officers who were all sitting around drinking beer without a care in the world.

What are you complaining about? They are Thai cops. That's what they do.

• Like 1

While I do not agree with police earning extra revenue for advertising, when I first came here I was informed that a lot of the police kiosks were either paid for or built for free by local companies, in which case (if true) advertising the sponsor would be fair.

Even in the UK the police are no strangers to advertising - though I do feel that the advertising agency could have thought things through a bit more and foreseen the implications of a strategically placed bus exhaust - can't think why "Police Community Support Officer", Annette, is smiling though.....................coffee1.gif

HampshirePolice.jpg

• Like 1

A ''sort of cooperation ''.....yeah right; you give us dosh and you can advertise on our cabins. By the way, would you like to give us more money to advertise on our pick-up's as well ? Oh; and we could also carry your company name on the back of our uniform for a further 'consideration'.

While I do not agree with police earning extra revenue for advertising, when I first came here I was informed that a lot of the police kiosks were either paid for or built for free by local companies, in which case (if true) advertising the sponsor would be fair.

Even in the UK the police are no strangers to advertising - though I do feel that the advertising agency could have thought things through a bit more and foreseen the implications of a strategically placed bus exhaust - can't think why "Police Community Support Officer", Annette, is smiling though.....................coffee1.gif

HampshirePolice.jpg

That is an advert on a bus (run by private enterprises in the UK) promoting the police paid for by the police, totally different to advertising by private companies on a police property paid to police which is not authorized meaning the money is going in to someone's corrupt pocket.

Your ignorance is in full view, a typical Thai response to wrongdoing unfortunately - try to find a place to deflect the criticism rather than understand the issue. No wonder you support who you do.

Truly blinkered

HampshirePolice.jpg

That is an advert on a bus (run by private enterprises in the UK) promoting the police paid for by the police, totally different to advertising by private companies on a police property paid to police which is not authorized meaning the money is going in to someone's corrupt pocket.

Your ignorance is in full view, a typical Thai response to wrongdoing unfortunately - try to find a place to deflect the criticism rather than understand the issue. No wonder you support who you do.

Truly blinkered

you lost your humour today? it injected a bit of fun and that exhaust made me chuckle

HampshirePolice.jpg

Truly blinkered

you lost your humour today? it injected a bit of fun and that exhaust made me chuckle

Truly unobservant of me. Can't afford a new iPhone and my eyes are not so good this morning. You are right - funny :-)

• Like 1

Typo error should have read 50,000 he he, i was chatting to a bar girl last saturday, she was also chatting to this guy, he had the bar "T" shirt on," i said so he works here then" ?. reply "oh no he is a policeman, he looks after our bar and the bar across the road" normal practice then lol !!

HampshirePolice.jpg

Truly blinkered

I presume you have a problem recognising and acknowledging humour......................

No a problem reading thoroughly on this occasion so my apologies

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I always thought that those billboards are there as a thank you for donating money to build

the booth and install a/c in them no ?......

It's still using government property for commercial purposes. If the booths are a necessity, the government can fund their cost. But allowing private fuding and billboards as "payback" gives at best the perception of illegal behavior and at worse bribery . The police do not need such a taint, especially when there is already so many corruption with the police.

The other day passing through a big intersection, I noticed the traffic officer was wearing a vest (with some reflective tape, so I guess for visibility even though overall, he still looked brown) with advertising for Paragon on it. Thought it very odd and why would it be allowed?

I don't know what led to all those police booth advertisements being placed there.

But around my area of BKK, most of them seem to be done on behalf of local and well-known private hospitals -- which makes me tend to think it was some sort of financial donation by those companies to building the booths in exchange for promotional consideration.

Nothing inherently wrong with that, assuming that's what occurred.

On the other hand, if the local BIB are just selling the space and pocketing the money, then that would be in keeping in the finest traditions of their acclaimed organization.

The hospital ones have been around for at least 15 years. I've always been under the impression the hospitals paid for the construction of the kiosks. Seems fair enough to display their advertising sign if that is the case.

In the grand scheme of things, it's a pretty small infraction of the supposed law. But of course it's indicative of the absolute disregard that this organ station have for the law they are meant to uphold.

But, if you don't provide sufficient equipment, including police booths, training and remuneration, then you get what you deserve.

Any politicians listening? No, I didn't think so. An efficient proactive police force isn't really in their interests as it would shut down the gravy train THEY are on.

Why does it have to be a booth? Why not just a shelter from the rain?

HampshirePolice.jpg

Would be even funnier if the bus had exhausts on either side! blink.png