Buying a used vehicle in Thailand

Kenny202

Was initially looking at buying a new pick up as we will be living out in the country about 60k's

from the city but things may have changed a little now and thinking a cheaper yet still reasonable

vehicle with a moderate rate of km's (75-100k) on it may be a better buy for me for now.

In Australia you would expect to pay around 30-50% of new price but have had some feedback

that in Thailand due to tax or something used cars are extremely expensive and have heard all

sorts of horror stories of speedo's wound back, panels dodgy'd up, shoddy mechanicals etc.

Is this the norm in Thailand not to trust or buy used cars? Is it really that bad? I know the Thais are

usually terrified of buying used cars for fear of a previous accident / bad luck / phi etc I thought it

would have been a buyers market

Used cars were very overpriced in Thailand for years, but after the government tax rebate scheme ended, second hand prices have become more realistic due to a glut on the market.

Pick-ups hold their value better than cars. I'd be buying new if I could afford it simply to avoid some of the issues you mention, unless I could get a substantial discount over new, and only if I had someone I could trust, to check out the vehicle thoroughly.

I bought a used 2012 Mazda2 Sport with only 10,000 Kilometers on the odometer. I was lucky and bought it from a co-worker of my girlfriend. She bought it new for 600,000 baht and I paid her 450,000 baht for it. She also put anti-theft system and a high end stereo system in it. It is fully loaded with options and has leather interior. I was very happy with the deal and really like the car, it was like new when I bought it. Good luck on finding something but if possible I would recommend buying from someone I knew or a friend of a friend.

I would prefer to buy a new car, including service and warrantee, rather than an often overpriced secondhand. wink.png

Motorbikes may be different, if the secondhand is cheap enough and considering you can afford to repair or just loose the money invested...

However, my first car in Thailand was a real bargain secondhand some 10 years old Chrysler Jeep, based on little cheaper than renting a tiny Suzuki and could I just keep it alive including some service for 2 years, it would even up the costs; so any further time it could run or any money from a resale would be a benefit. I was lucky, kept it going for 8½ years and got 40% of what I paid back when selling it. So presume it’s relative – or just a question of good luck... whistling.gif

My next car was brand new and I’m very happy with that, not worth saving a tiny bit for some unknown almost new vehicle. smile.png

Every long term Thai friend told me "never buy used".

I did not need new and only live here 5-6 months a year so used seemed like the right deal for a retiree. We found a 2007 Toyota in the summer of 2010 that was on the road in Phuket for only 3 years with 50,000 km and owned by an Ozzie headed home. Hilux Vigo Double Cab with CarryBoy. It did need new tires so Baht 480,000 seemed pretty good to us-likely 45% discount or more.

As soon as we got it upcountry, all my Thai friends were jealous of the truck. We only put 6,000 km each year on it and have been very, very happy. Great fuel mileage, runs smooth and quiet with great acceleration.

I think many Thais buy new as bank loans are easier with less $ down.

Good luck

post-111888-0-83719400-1415356733_thumb.

I bought my first pickup Toyota from Apple Auctions in Bangkok, had over 100k and never had 1 problem. If you go on Google puch in this name and you will come up with their site. They have auctions all over the place you will find their auction times and dates. Or you can call them on the number. They will tell you what areas and city they are in. Most of the vehicles are bank repose.

• Like 1

For checking a car re repairs damaged parts that have been bog filled. Get one of those magnetic strips you put on a fridge door and place it on what ever parts of the body you want if it falls off that part has been bogged (filled)

• Like 2

In my 20 + years in Thailand, I both 2 - 4 wheel Drives, the first one A Willy's Jeep from a Thai friend on Koh Samui.... The second a Land Rover in Chiang Mai, witch is really a Toyota with a Land Rover Body.....both have been modified for Off Road....I know a lot about mechanics,...and knows where to look if I have a problem,...and mostly can fix it myself. but there are times I need a Garage to do the repairs. +/- half the garages in Thailand are no good and it's advised to be present when they work on your car.....and check what they do..... Some are good of even great mechanics...needless to say, I made some great friends with some of those mechanics....From Chiang Rai, Chiang Mai, Nong Kai, Sukothai, Pranburi, Koh Samui, Ubon Ratchathani.......and so many more places........!!!

A couple of suggestions about buyong used cars/trucks in Thailand.

1) NEVER BUY ANYTHING FROM A TENT CAR DEALER.

2) Never buy a used vehicle from a Thai if at all possible.

3) Always look for expats selling their personal cars/trucks due to leaving the country. They will bargain with you and many have had the dosh to keep up the maintenance on the vehicle.

4) Always get the car registered in your own name and buy 1st quality insurance nameing yourself as the payee if stolen or crashed.

5) Be careful about buying a vehicle that is near the beach areas. There is probably some rust that can't be easily seen.

6) Never give a Thai person a deposit on a vehicle. You probably will never get it back of the deal goes south and they do often.

7) Never, ever take a Thais word as truth. They will lie to make a deal happen and smile while doing it. Don't get mad, they can't help it. It their culture. Just walk away and move on.

Edited by CMCMANGOMAN
  • Like 1

If you can find a private deal with a known background used might work out but just buying from a dealer used or from a shady car sales lot in general is not cost effective. In most cases you will have no warranty used and it that THB100,000 savings will go away pretty quit if an engine goes really bad.

Second hand cars stay reasonable expensive cause repairs are dirt cheap here.

We've always bought second hand to avoid that immediate fall in price once the new car. Chosen well the car retains it's relative value and you can sell it for a good price.

Taladrot.com is a good car sales site where you can get an idea of car prices by age.

• Like 1

Toyota Sure (2nd hand arm of Toyota in Thailand) seem a pretty reasonable dealership. I bought a 3 - year old Vios 1.5 on tick and got a year's full warranty on it plus a couple of free services. I found some cheaper and some more expensive of a similar age elsewhere from private sellers at the time, but the year's warranty gives you peace of mind. Check on Toyota's website for branches of Toyota Sure.

• Like 1

We have bought 3 Excellent USED Cars from a well established dealer in Chiang Mai. The first one, a Honda Jazz, we sold about 18-months later as we were returning to live in Australia and got almost what we'd paid for it.

On our return to CNX, we bought a used Honda City and had an excellent run out of it but I wanted something a bit bigger. We got a very good trade-in price from our regular dealer and bought a Honda CRV from him. That was three years ago and the CRV is brilliant. It had full service history from Honda where we continue to have it looked after. They even contacted us a few weeks ago to bring it in for a FREE upgrade on an Air Bag that Honda and several other vehicle manufacturers (world wide) were replacing.

Used Car Dealers in Thailand are probably no better or worse than dealers wherever you come from. Just use some common sense and make sure you KNOW what you're buying.

Toyota Sure (2nd hand arm of Toyota in Thailand) seem a pretty reasonable dealership. I bought a 3 - year old Vios 1.5 on tick and got a year's full warranty on it plus a couple of free services. I found some cheaper and some more expensive of a similar age elsewhere from private sellers at the time, but the year's warranty gives you peace of mind. Check on Toyota's website for branches of Toyota Sure.

Agreed, just got 200,000 off a Vigo ex-demo with 900 odd kilometers on it(some of them mine)Ok last years model,but with the remainder of the 3year or 100,000 warranty left and free labour on the servicing up to 70,000.

I checked for quite a while and its as cheap as a tent or cheaper,but with all the Toyota backup.

In fact the salesman called today and asked if everything was OK!, good service.

A couple of suggestions about buyong used cars/trucks in Thailand.

1) NEVER BUY ANYTHING FROM A TENT CAR DEALER.

2) Never buy a used vehicle from a Thai if at all possible.

3) Always look for expats selling their personal cars/trucks due to leaving the country. They will bargain with you and many have had the dosh to keep up the maintenance on the vehicle.

4) Always get the car registered in your own name and buy 1st quality insurance nameing yourself as the payee if stolen or crashed.

5) Be careful about buying a vehicle that is near the beach areas. There is probably some rust that can't be easily seen.

6) Never give a Thai person a deposit on a vehicle. You probably will never get it back of the deal goes south and they do often.

7) Never, ever take a Thais word as truth. They will lie to make a deal happen and smile while doing it. Don't get mad, they can't help it. It their culture. Just walk away and move on.

I am sure you did not mean to bash Thais, but I believe you can be duped by farang and Thai alike. I have purchased four used vehicles in Thailand, two from Thais and two from farangs. I have been pleased with all four of them. However, it may be interesting to note, all four sellers, Thais and farangs, were friends.