Apple and sultana cake

billd766

I make carrot cake and pineapple upside down cake all of the time. I often get "orders" for the pineapple upside down cakes for birthdays. I basically use this recipe: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/carrot-cake-iii/ but make a few changes. I usually don't put in the pecans in either the cake or the icing. I also reduce the sugar in the icing to about 3 cups and add a couple of tablespoons of lemon juice to it. I use a 10" round cake pan and grease it and then line it with parchment paper (brown paper bag) and then grease and flour the paper. It makes it come out easier as it is a very moist cake and tends to stick.

For the pineapple upside down cake I use a basic yellow cake recipe : http://allrecipes.com/recipe/yellow-cake-made-from-scratch/.

I use the same 10" pan. I grease and flour the pan and then lay sliced pineapple in the bottom. I normally use canned pinepple but you cn use fresh but you need to "cure" it overnight in hot sugar water. After covering the bottom of the pan with the pineapple I add marachino cherries in the holes and then generously sprinkle brown sugar over the whole mess. I then add the syrup (or sugar water is you use fresh pineapple) to just soak the pineapple good. I then pour in an d spread the batter and bake until done. After it's finished I let it cool for abuot 20 minutes and then invert it on a large plate. Yum!

Now I'm really hungry so I guess that I'll go make a "no bake" cheesecake that I bought the ingredients for last week. Really easy also and calorie free - Right!

• Like 1

thanks 766 you rearly now how to make a mans belly ache.

Sorry about that but I had the need for some comfort food.

I wonder what it tastes like with Birds Custard. Maybe tomorrow.

Perhaps you can tell me a little about how to make custard, I thought I would give it a try, bought a container of Royallee brand custard powder from Tesco,s I thought that would be a good start, followed directions implicitly as follows, blend one rounded tablespoon of powder with two tablespoons of milk taken from one pint [20oz] of milk, add one rounded tablespoon of sugar to remainder of the milk and bring to full boil, pour boiling milk on to the blended custard powder stirring well. What could possibly go wrong? The next morning I removed from the frig a container with milk in it and a little yellow colouring. Down the sink and back to the drawing board

Perhaps you can tell me a little about how to make custard, I thought I would give it a try, bought a container of Royallee brand custard powder from Tesco,s I thought that would be a good start, followed directions implicitly as follows, blend one rounded tablespoon of powder with two tablespoons of milk taken from one pint [20oz] of milk, add one rounded tablespoon of sugar to remainder of the milk and bring to full boil, pour boiling milk on to the blended custard powder stirring well. What could possibly go wrong? The next morning I removed from the frig a container with milk in it and a little yellow colouring. Down the sink and back to the drawing board

Hi Paul

I use Birds custard that I bought in Villa this year and like you I read the recipe but I must have been lucky as it worked for me. What I have done since is add yellow food colouring to make it look like custard and the last time I put 3 tbs of custard powder in and it came out thick enough to eat with a knife and fork. It tasted OK though.

This attachment came from the Birds tin but the Thai custard powder should be much the same.

Birds custard in the microwave.doc

Edited by billd766

I make carrot cake and pineapple upside down cake all of the time. I often get "orders" for the pineapple upside down cakes for birthdays. I basically use this recipe: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/carrot-cake-iii/ but make a few changes. I usually don't put in the pecans in either the cake or the icing. I also reduce the sugar in the icing to about 3 cups and add a couple of tablespoons of lemon juice to it. I use a 10" round cake pan and grease it and then line it with parchment paper (brown paper bag) and then grease and flour the paper. It makes it come out easier as it is a very moist cake and tends to stick.

For the pineapple upside down cake I use a basic yellow cake recipe : http://allrecipes.com/recipe/yellow-cake-made-from-scratch/.

I use the same 10" pan. I grease and flour the pan and then lay sliced pineapple in the bottom. I normally use canned pinepple but you cn use fresh but you need to "cure" it overnight in hot sugar water. After covering the bottom of the pan with the pineapple I add marachino cherries in the holes and then generously sprinkle brown sugar over the whole mess. I then add the syrup (or sugar water is you use fresh pineapple) to just soak the pineapple good. I then pour in an d spread the batter and bake until done. After it's finished I let it cool for abuot 20 minutes and then invert it on a large plate. Yum!

Now I'm really hungry so I guess that I'll go make a "no bake" cheesecake that I bought the ingredients for last week. Really easy also and calorie free - Right!

I have saved your recipes and as usual they are classed as round tuit cakes. I like the sound of that "no bake" cheesecake. Do you have a recipe for that.

In Makro last week I found some Dole sliced peaches in light syrup and also a can of Royal Blueberry pie filling.

I haven't had sliced peaches for years and I think they will go down nicely with some thick carnation tinned milk.

I use this recipe: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/the-best-unbaked-cherry-cheesecake-ever/ I picked up a can of Blueberry pie filling instead of cherry. I use butter cookies and chocolate cookies instead of graham crackers as I haven't seen the crackers anywhere. I never follow a recipe exactly but use the baking recipes as a guideline to get the quantities right I made one this morning nd just put it in the fridge at about noon.

The Tesco that I shop at in Singburi and Chainat both have the dole sliced peaches. They also usually have ole mandarin orange segments. Both are acceptable and better than nothing.

I bought some royal Crown custard powder and never have been able to get anything but a thick sauce., nothing like a backed custard pudding. It's great served warm over hot bread pudding.

Edited by wayned

Paul, did you expect to pull out a bowl of custard pudding? The custard powder makes a desert sauce, not a pudding as Americans are used to, I'm one.

No wayned, I did expect to pull out a bowl of custard to pour on a pudding or just eat as is but I only got milk with a tiny bit of colouring on top, don't know what I did wrong.

Hi Paul

I use Birds custard that I bought in Villa this year and like you I read the recipe but I must have been lucky as it worked for me. What I have done since is add yellow food colouring to make it look like custard and the last time I put 3 tbs of custard powder in and it came out thick enough to eat with a knife and fork. It tasted OK though.

This attachment came from the Birds tin but the Thai custard powder should be much the same.

attachicon.gifBirds custard in the microwave.doc

Thanks bilid766, next time I will find genuine Birds custard powder, strange how your recipe says three tablespoons and mine said one. Maybe that was the problem. Will print off your microwave recipe and try that.

Hi Paul

Use 2 tbs the first time and you will have pourable custard. I like my custard thick and I think I went over the top with 3 tbs.

If you are in CM as your avatar suggests try to find a Villa or Foodland as they stock Birds custard powder.

https://foursquare.com/v/%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%A1%E0%B8%9B%E0%B8%87-rimping-supermarket/4c9362272bf7b60c2f7c6a0a

It looks as though neither Villa or Foodland are in CM though I have heard reports that Rimping supermarket is good.

A TVF post going back to last year.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/672338-where-to-buy-birds-custard-or-ambrosia-custard-or-something-similar/

There is this place though it IS expensive. Perhaps if several people got together the postage would be cheaper.

http://www.britishcornershop.co.uk/birds-custard-powder-original?gclid=Cj0KEQiAm_eiBRCWgIfq9pK1nZsBEiQAGqUcSUs4riEub7yDqG1cPVihtYyZxCPgyzl71qB5V5XGvzcaAlyS8P8HAQ

Alternatively if you have a mate in BKK or Pattaya ask if they will but it for you and send it by Thai EMS post.

Cheers

Bill

i have found royallee brand custard powder ok,but cut right down on the sugar,add a small amount of vanilla flavouring or a drop of lime jus.

stewed apples touch of cinnamon,cover with plain sponge cake from tesco and a nice thick custard on top,then sprinkle the rainbow mix on top.

• Like 1

10 Minute Banana Bread Makes 2 small loaves (12 muffins) 4-5 TSP (¼ Cup) Butter or oil 2 Eggs 2 or 3 Ripe Bananas ½ to 2/3 Cups Sugar 1 1/3 Cups AP Flour 1 TSP Baking Powder ½ TSP Cinnamon as needed Sultanas/Nuts mix wet ingredients and sugar, mash, add baking powder, stir, add flour, stir. Bake at 180degC for muffins (25min)

Paul, did you expect to pull out a bowl of custard pudding? The custard powder makes a desert sauce, not a pudding as Americans are used to, I'm one.

No wayned, I did expect to pull out a bowl of custard to pour on a pudding or just eat as is but I only got milk with a tiny bit of colouring on top, don't know what I did wrong.

There's a knack to getting the liquid mixed with the custard powder. I'll explain the principle and then follow up with the method for making custard.

Principle:

• If you added the powder to milk, it would float and not blend properly.
  • You must slowly add the liquid to the powder, beating the liquid into the powder, to form a paste.

Method:

Need: 10 minutes, tablespoon, small pan, 1 heaped tablespoon of custard powder, 1 heaped tablespoon of sugar, 3/4 pint of whole milk. Serves 2 people.

• Off the heat, put the custard powder into a "corner" of a tilted pan.
  • Now put 2-3 tbsps of milk into the powder and, using another tablespoon, mix, until the milk has been absorbed by the powder, pressing any lumps of powder into the milk.
  • Repeat this process, slowly adding liquid and blending into a paste, until you get a light sauce. Only use 1/2 pint of the milk for now.
  • Now when you have a sauce, add the remaining milk in larger quantity, but still mixing all the time, and put on a light heat of no more than 1/2 power / flame.
  • Beat the liquid continuously whilst on the heat until it thickens. You can add the sugar to taste. If it thickens too much add some more milk.
  • At no point in the process above should you stop beating the sauce.
  • Eat hot or chill in the fridge.
Edited by RandomSand
  • Like 1

I hate to disagree here but the no fail, easiest method for custard is....

(1) Take your custard powder and mix it in a separate cup with enough cold milk to make it liquid, beat out all lumps

(2) Warm your milk/sugar while doing this

Add 1 to 2, and whisk constantly till it thickens.

I don't add sugar that much but if you do then you put it in the milk and stir while warming it up to dissolve.

The thickening properties of the custard powder will work quickly, which is why you must stir constantly to stop it sticking to the saucepan

No lumps, easy easy..

Oz

• Like 1

i have found royallee brand custard powder ok,but cut right down on the sugar,add a small amount of vanilla flavouring or a drop of lime jus.

stewed apples touch of cinnamon,cover with plain sponge cake from tesco and a nice thick custard on top,then sprinkle the rainbow mix on top.

I can't find the right smiley for drooooooooooolllllllll

? ?

http://getemoji.com/

• Like 1

? ?

http://getemoji.com/

Thanks for that.

I managed to copy the link and a very few emojis but the link is OK as I can find them from there.