What New Skills Have You Acquired In Thailand?

eldragon

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok sure, I can play this game. What new skills have I acquired in Thailand?

I can now spot a deadbeat, lowlife, good-for-nothing farang just from the constant negativity and irrational hatred of Thailand in nearly all of their posts.

A useful skill, actually.

I bet u cant!!

• Like 2

I hate getting taxi bikes and haggling prices so I bought myself a little CBR 150. I had never ridden a motorcycle and here I decide to learn in Bangkok. I was very intimidated at first but I just watched and did what the locals did when safe to do so. After understanding the traffic and behaviors of the traffic I decided to try a CBR 400. Dropped the bike once when I slipped in oil. Now I ride a 900cc and part of a club.

I'm proud of that.

Same same with me.

After not riding bikes for almost 25 years, I started to ride again in Thailand. Have my sixth bike now and feel as confident on it like a young man, which I'm only at heart.

• Like 2

well i could lay blocks,

do my plumbing,

electrics,

before i came here but it has been very very handy,

but ive learned how to keep pigs, vacines, feed, what to look for in a good pig,

i was from farming stock my mum still has a smallholding in the uk,

so chickens ducks ect were not a problem,

but there was a lot to learn about keeping pigs, people think they are easy to keep, eat anything ect,

but take it from me there is a lot to learn,

and when youve got over 100 of them you need to know what to do if something goes wrong,

jake

• Like 1

I have learned to never trust the figures presented to you in a Thai real estate deal...double check the numbers so that you do not get what I like to call..."pencil whipped"...

Have caught up to 100,000 baht errors...the would be criminals just smile sweetly and continue the deal with the new figures...never apologize or attempt to explain the "mistake"...This is Thailand...

• Like 2

The skill of predicting where the other people on the sidewalk will walk or not walk so I can better avoid them walking into me or blocking me. Knowing when walking on the road next to the cars is best.

Learning that when eating alone at a table ordering another pepsi i must specify how many bottles.

How to calibrate water pressure on a bidet spray and avoiding overspray.

Learning money is God

Learning money can make any man handsome.

Learning lack of money can make a handsome man undesirable

Learning logic and reason are futile

Learning hospitals that care for sick buffaloes can be costly

• Like 1

Having 6 sense when driving on the road.

s

Ha! I agree. "Defensive Driving" takes new meaning for both the motorbike and car. "6th sense", hmm... front and back, left and right, up and down (hey, you never know!). I say the best test for Altzeimer's (old timers) is driving in Thailand. Do that without mishap and you cannot have the problem, you would not survive!

How to use a brush cutter with confidence to make the ground nice and clear by mincing anything and everything underneath it and not worrying about that big metal blade hitting rocks & stuff. It's brutal but gets the job done.

I also learned how to apply antiseptic cream every day to small wounds (eg from flying rocks) because they get infected real quick out here.

My incredibly smart Thai friends helped me acquire the skills to play competitive Scrabble in English at the highest level in the world. Next week I will represent Thailand at the world championships in the place of my birth, London. The positivity and respect of the people of this exceptional country has given me everything. Bashers take note....

• Like 2

Watching a worker as I plan how to do it better as soon as they leave?

You don't need to be in Thailand to develop an irrational superiority complex, and it's not so much a skill as a delusional mind-set.

Well done. Actually this has happened on numerous occasions. Nonetheless I have met a number of excellent workers here. The prime example is normally carpenters. They tend to be immensely skilled and, because I lack that skill, I tend to pay for the best.

On the other side of things I am a qualified sparky and network engineer. Plumbing just comes naturally and my wife was a mural painter. Saying this just makes it too boring but helps you understand my position in finding some workers completely devoid of skill. This has happened to me in other countries too. Yawn.....

• Like 1