What New Skills Have You Acquired In Thailand?

eldragon

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watching a worker as I plan how to do it better as soon as they leave?

The run-of-the-mill tradesmen here in Thailand do indeed leave a lot to be desired - some don't even have their own tools.

However, for people who are prepared to pay a decent daily wage it is possible to employ craftsmen in the building trades who are world class.

Look at what they build; the ban settees in urban areas, the the beautiful wood houses upcountry, the 5-star hotels, the posh condos, etc., etc., etc.

These places are built by Thais. The Burmese, Lao, and Cambodians are just the labourers. It's not like in many western countries where skilled immigrants have largely taken over construction work, and the indigenous white Anglo-Saxons have been marginalized in their own countries.

There are only two reasons for being unable to get competent workers in Thailand... A. You are a clueless farang who doesn't know to operate here. Or B. You are unwilling to pay these skilled workers a living wage.

Good post.

A brainless condemnation of Thai craftsmen as a whole shouldn't go unanswered... and you did it very well.

The number of "likes" he received gives some indication of the disconnect between so many newcomers and the people they live among. If they're not new here, then their situation is even more regrettable.

• Like 1

Here I play lots of football, weight lift and riding my bicycle. In Australia I'd do much less. Here I live a different lifestyle.

Oh, and I've been asked to speak in universities. In Australia that would be unlikely.

I'm missing out on lots of business meetings / networking while being over here though. Australia has far more of that.

• Like 1

Not readheads smotherb, facial hair, answer this post and I'll give you something else.

Well, I am relieved you have nothing against people who read? So, let's see, you are against fat, ugly, tatoos, and facial hair. What, pray tell, else offends you?

Sorry, I forgot, you also mentioned farangs, or would a fat ugly Thai with tatoos and facial hair suffice?

If i remember correctly......bad drivers offend him too....

• Like 1

You will really see a different Thailand if you do your best to look good and wealthy. It's all about show.

You could say the same thing about dressing like a slob and getting drunk with taxi drivers every night. It just depends on which Thailand you want to see.

You will really see a different Thailand if you do your best to look good and wealthy. It's all about show.

You could say the same thing about dressing like a slob and getting drunk with taxi drivers every night. It just depends on which Thailand you want to see.

Well....however one dresses, one sees the real Thailand only when talking to people and observe behaviour.

Well....however one dresses, one sees the real Thailand only when talking to people and observe behaviour.

All of Thailand is real.

Not readheads smotherb, facial hair, answer this post and I'll give you something else.

Well, I am relieved you have nothing against people who read? So, let's see, you are against fat, ugly, tatoos, and facial hair. What, pray tell, else offends you?

Sorry, I forgot, you also mentioned farangs, or would a fat ugly Thai with tatoos and facial hair suffice?

Mr Benalbina, would you care to tell me any poster who drives and rides motorbikes who is not offended by most of Thailands drivers? I'm not sure though if 'offended' is the right word to use here.

Mr Benalbina, would you care to tell me any poster who drives and rides motorbikes who is not offended by most of Thailands drivers? I'm not sure though if 'offended' is the right word to use here.

Mr SmotherB, be fair now, your are picking the negatives from my posts here, how about the positives? If you are honest and have read a lot of my posts, you will see that there is far more positives than negatives, in fact there was an OP from me recently about this.

I once against refreshed my Thailand-found skill in forgetting about getting anything repaired and just buy a new one. Changed from 3BB to True after they failed to fix the ADSL line in six attempts. Should have remembered this is a disposable product country.

Mr Possum1931, you look too much at others. I leave it at that.

Btw....i enjoyed driving in Thailand despite the many nutters on the road.

• Like 1

I can spot a ladyboy from 100 meters

I learned that there are those hard to spot at first sight.

And thus to be VERY suspicious when I spot a VERY attractive lady....(ehhehhm)....boy!

Edited by Khunangkaro