Visa run - fastest/cheapest/safest option from Koh Samui with baby

Dear Forum,

I am on Koh Samui with family (wife and 1 year old daughter - please mind in your answer). We all have 60 days double entry tourist visa. The first stay period ends on January 5.

At the moment, I am trying to somehow calculate the best way to do a visa run. Trouble is, around the time our first entry period ends, travel is outrageously expensive due to high season. I igured that a quick flight to, say, Malaysia in and out (or Cambodia) will cost us something like 1,000 EUR !

I tried Air Bangkok Samui-Bangkok- Penang and back, the same with Firefly... the longer I searched, the worse fares got.

My second option was to get a 30 days extension (140 EUR for the three of us) and then fly at a lighter time. But flying at any later date well into February does not seem to yield a better result.

My wife cringes at the thought of taking a ferry to the mainland and a suicide jungle trip to the Myanmar border by minibus. Well, I also have strong reservations against that option.

What about train rides? From the mainland ferry port (which?), would it be a good idea to take a train to Malaysia or Myanmar? The former route running through terrorist infested area, the latter existing at all?

If I was on my own, I wouldn't care about safety or inconvenience as long as it was cheap and fast. But since I cannot make a phantom visa run with my daughter's passport in my pocket, I need to find a solution that is relatively safe, cheap AND convenient. Am I asking the impossible here?

Any advice highly appreciated!

BKK Air & Air Malaysia -> USM-BKK-KUL-BKK-USM on 5th of Jan, prices 250€ per adult roundtrip, don't know about infant prices. (Also direct flight USM-KUL available with Air Malaysia at 315€/adult)

Edited by jabis

Children under the age of 15 do not pay overstay fines.

If you go to immigration to get your child an extension they will probably tell you not to bother with a 30 day extension for them.

At least getting the extensions delays having to do the trip.

• Like 1

It is not fast but not so much flying. The Ferry from Koh Samui is not a problem. I have taken it ... works fine. Pleasant trip actually. You can get a full sized Bus from Surat Thai to Krabi (Krabi) - You do not have to take a Kamakazi van... And a full size Bus as a package trip to Penang from Krabi Town via Hat Yai ...This package out of Krabi Town includes transportation, overnight stay and a Visa Agent in Penang. You take the big bus to the Malaysian Border - then to a smaller bus to Penang. Cost out of Krabi Town for the package is 4500 Baht. With some planning this can be done - just make a solid plan. I have a phone number of a guy who is involved with the package deal out of Krabi Town.

• Like 1

Just rent car, drive to Khota Bharu, no reason to go to Hat yai and sadao border,

nice little town to spend the night and than drive back

??? Why would you advise them to drive to Kota Barhu, which adds hundreds of kilometers and many hours to their trip compared to driving to Sadao? Plus it has one going through two of the three restless southern provinces. Don't think ones travel insurance is valid there.

• Like 2

It is not fast but not so much flying. The Ferry from Koh Samui is not a problem. I have taken it ... works fine. Pleasant trip actually. You can get a full sized Bus from Surat Thai to Krabi (Krabi) - You do not have to take a Kamakazi van... And a full size Bus as a package trip to Penang from Krabi Town via Hat Yai ...This package out of Krabi Town includes transportation, overnight stay and a Visa Agent in Penang. You take the big bus to the Malaysian Border - then to a smaller bus to Penang. Cost out of Krabi Town for the package is 4500 Baht. With some planning this can be done - just make a solid plan. I have a phone number of a guy who is involved with the package deal out of Krabi Town.

Read the OP. They want to to do a border run to activate second entry of a visa. They do not need to go to Penang. And forget about going from Samui via Krabi to Hat Yai. Talk about zig zagging... Closest to Samui is actually Myanmar border, but my experience is that it takes less time to drive to Sadao at the Malaysian border or the little border just to the West of it, than driving to Ranong at the Myanmar border.

Just rent car, drive to Khota Bharu, no reason to go to Hat yai and sadao border,

??? Why would you advise them to drive to Kota Barhu, which adds hundreds of kilometers and many hours to their trip compared to driving to Sadao? Plus it has one going through two of the three restless southern provinces. Don't think ones travel insurance is valid there.

its a nice ride down the coast, done it a few times in the last year.

ok, maybe not the fastest but some beautiful scenery

Doesn't samui offer flights direct to anywhere internationally?

I agree that it is a beautiful road down. But then again, so is the drive from Chumphon to Ranong. Both just take longer than going to Sadao. There are several international flight from/to Samui. But in January this is going to cost a lot. In conclusion:

Type: Cost: Speed: Safety: Comfort:

Flight Bad Medium Good Good

Visa van Good Good Bad Bad

Self drive Good Medium Medium Medium

Hello

You can take a ferry to Surat Thani, hop on a mini-van to Hat Yai, catch another mini-van to the border at Sadao or even to Penang, Malaysia.

You can enjoy some good Chinese and Indian food in Penang, where you can spend a few nights.

You can come back to Koh Samui in the same way.

Good luck

I agree that it is a beautiful road down. But then again, so is the drive from Chumphon to Ranong. Both just take longer than going to Sadao. There are several international flight from/to Samui. But in January this is going to cost a lot. In conclusion:

U dont need got to Chumphon

Surart thani to Ranong ( via Takupa ) 218 KMs 3 hours

Surat Thani to Hat Yai 317kms 4 hours ( an than its another 45 minutes to the boarder)

U dont need got to Chumphon

Surart thani to Ranong ( via Takupa ) 218 KMs 3 hours

Surat Thani to Hat Yai 317kms 4 hours ( an than its another 45 minutes to the boarder)

You need to look at distances and time from Donsak, not just Surat. Donsak to Ranong via Lang Suan (Chumphon) is 290km. Via Takua Pa is 360km. To Sadao is also 360km. But mostly all highway there so easily done in 4 hours. Out/in at Malaysia border is very quick, whereas to Myanmar will take time due to boat crossing. I never managed to make a single day border run to Myanmar and be back in time for the ferry to Samui (some suicidal visa run companies managed it in the past though) whereas to Malaysia that is very doable. But again, if you have the time take two days and enjoy the scenery.

Edited by ubonjoe
fixed broken quote (to many quotes 4 is the max)

Extend with 30 days first at immigrations in Nathon.

Then Take a flight direct to Penang from Samui on February 5th stay two nights and fly back February 7th.

Thu, 05 Feb 2015 Koh Samui (USM) to Penang (PEN) Flight FY3603

Time 3:15 PM to 5:45 PM

Pricing

2 Guest(s) @ 36.96 EUR ≈73.93 EUR

1 Infant(s) @ 13.21 EUR ≈13.21 EUR

Taxes/Fees ≈108.29 EUR

Coming Back Sat, 07 Feb 2015 Penang (PEN) to Koh Samui (USM) Flight FY3602

Time 2:25 PM to 2:55 PM

Pricing

2 Guest(s) @ 0.00 EUR ≈0.00 EUR

1 Infant(s) @ 13.21 EUR ≈13.21 EUR

Taxes/Fees ≈94.55 EUR

TOTAL PRICE ≈303.18 EUR

• Like 2

Don't want to sound..well organised...but had you known about your trip & extension req before setting off on your trip you could have booked firefly well in advance...I also have a dble ent tourist visa..i knew my dates etc and got a return from Samui to Penang for 3500bhtbooked well in advance.

But you best option would be rent a car & go to Sadeao...can do in a day but over night is prob best for you & family....Good luck

There are a few members on Samui, who have their own cars, and sometimes looking for "car share" .... it might be worth asking on the Samui forum under Private Visa runs, if anyone is going at that time...

As mentioned the drive to Rayong is not that bad, it's very scenic, and a couple of ways you could do it... either through Khao Sok or the road further north... (can't think of the road number off hand,) but all these roads are not that bad for driving...

The coastal road down south as Phuketrichard, says is nice, and hardly any traffic .... easy drive and pretty much by-passes Had Yai... But in a rented car you will not be able to drive in Malaysia.

By bus, going via Nakon Si Tamarat would be a much better change point than Krabi..... Why not go to the Raja ferry depot / ticket office as you head into Nathon, they have VIP bus schedules, you might want to check out too...Seatran would also be worth asking also, ... go direct to their office, rather than an agent... although agents usually include pickup up service on Samui and then take you to the terminal...

Avoid the mini bus suggestions bah.gif

here is the Raja ferry time table out side their office heading into Nathon... phone number to, but you might want a Thai speaker on the phone ! be sure to ask for VIP bus! wink.png

Nathon%2520Lent%2520Fest%2520and%2520Mae

Edited by samuijimmy

Thank you all for your help!

I have opted for the following:

Flight from Surat Thani to Kuala Lumpur (Air Asia).

You can buy Air Asia Tickets in any 7/11 store on Koh Samui, or through their good mobile app. Return flight cost me 7600 BHT for 2 adults and an infant, which was a bit more than through the mobile app. But then again my credit card didn't work, so bying for cash in 7/11 was a good choice.

I want to buy bus tickets with Panthani company (that the name?). They offer a 550 BHT ride from Samui ( not sure about hotel pick up) to Surathtani airport incl ferry ticket. They also seem to schedule their busses in accordance to flight departures and arrivals.

Hope this was a good choice. Will report on return (31 Dec)

is that their name)