How many Farang live with Thai inlaws?

How common is this in Thailand?

For awhile I lived with my wifes parents but it just became just to much to bear.

I have since moved on and am not in that relationship anymore. But what I am asking is living with the inlaws something that other farang do here?

I understand this is something that Thai's do but I feel like it is too much to expect a farang to live like this.

I would like some feedback on if this is a reasonable request by your Thai spouse to live with her parents.

Here are some problems I had with living with my inlaws.

1. They never worked just sat around.

2. Being in my room moving my things ( I have no space to myself)

3. Never having any alone time with my wife.

4. Butting into issues related to money that only my wife and I should discuss.

Edited by flyingsaucersarereal
  • Like 2

Only fools let themselves end up in the soft-prison of the in-law ordeal.

Farang's with their heads on right don't allow it to happen, but their partners may insist and basically hen-peck their husbands into complying.

rolleyes.gif

Depends on the inlaws and the size of the house.

Edited by krisb

Build a new house. In two houses, one of which is slightly above the average Thai style, I have a granddaughter here, wife's daughter plus husband and two sons living in the Thai house along with one wife and another grandson. We will be building a fifth (don't do the maths) house soon to make things easier as well as a guest room with separate entrance here. They are all hard working and helpful, we have a few dogs that BARK so they don't just come by to have a chat.

When they had no money for food due to not being paid for their rice, they asked us, not for money, but one of our ducks. They got it.

We do have a large compound, sorry about that, my wife didn't sell off land to pay for whisky like most of the people in the village.

Edited by cooked
  • Like 2

After moving back to Thailand, following 3 years in the UK, wifey and I moved in with her parents.

I was ok with it but it wasn't long before wifey insisted on moving to our own rental.

She'd gotten to enjoy her own quiet and privacy in the UK and didn't enjoy moving back into the old home.

• Like 1

Not a good idea. Yes lazy are heck! what is theirs is theirs and what is yours also is theirs! Lazy arsed Brother privacy none at all!

but you do really get to see how lazy and stupid some Thai (not all some) people are..so lazy can´t switch off a light for a room that

never gets used or seldom used, walk away leave TV and fan on or switch on..Total inconsideration when they are slightly ill all hands

to the deck and off to local hospital but when it´s you (poor me just the farang father of their granddaughter) left for 4 hours doubled up in pain

as A-hole father out law off at the farm feeding cows and pigs and lazing about on the hammock (end result 4 day stay a hospital when I eventually

got there!

Lesson learned! Since Buddhism teaches impermanace of all things gf´s no, Wifes´no Gik´s yes! well if everything is going to be impermanent they might as well enjoy a bit of fun while it lasts with a gik. My experience after a few years here that Thai´s make great giks, good gf´s, not so good fiancee´s and worse wifes! so Giks it is!

Not a good idea. Yes lazy are heck! what is theirs is theirs and what is yours also is theirs! Lazy arsed Brother privacy none at all!

but you do really get to see how lazy and stupid some Thai (not all some) people are..so lazy can´t switch off a light for a room that

never gets used or seldom used, walk away leave TV and fan on or switch on..Total inconsideration when they are slightly ill all hands

to the deck and off to local hospital but when it´s you (poor me just the farang father of their granddaughter) left for 4 hours doubled up in pain

as A-hole father out law off at the farm feeding cows and pigs and lazing about on the hammock (end result 4 day stay a hospital when I eventually

got there!

Lesson learned! Since Buddhism teaches impermanace of all things gf´s no, Wifes´no Gik´s yes! well if everything is going to be impermanent they might as well enjoy a bit of fun while it lasts with a gik. My experience after a few years here that Thai´s make great giks, good gf´s, not so good fiancee´s and worse wifes! so Giks it is!

Yes!

Edited by mesquite

I would not be comfortable living with the in-laws. I like to do my own thing.

I did live with mother on one side and sister and her husband on the other side. Never really had problems with them entering the house unannounced. Each family is different.

• Like 1

Yes of course, but don't you find the 12 Burmese maids, 2 Gardeners, and 3 chauffeurs get rather intrusive and annoying at times, ? laugh.png

Whenever our Burmese servants get a little too familiar, wifey always sorts them out, usually by sending them packing at the end of the month and getting them replaced the same day. Seems to work out OK at least for now when there seems to be a never ending supply of them.

Yes of course, but don't you find the 12 Burmese maids, 2 Gardeners, and 3 chauffeurs get rather intrusive and annoying at times, ? laugh.png

Whenever our Burmese servants get a little too familiar, wifey always sorts them out, usually by sending them packing at the end of the month and getting them replaced the same day. Seems to work out OK at least for now when there seems to be a never ending supply of them.

We normally take them out on our boat and throw them overboard. If it's good enough for The Thai Navy , it's good enough for us.

• Like 1

I lived with my Mother and Father in law for about 18 months while we were settling in, then having a house built. It was great, the only thing I was ever asked to pay for was the electric, which was about 300 baht a month. We now live about 100 metres away, and it is still great. But then all my in laws are fantastic, I love them dearly.

• Like 1

Only fools let themselves end up in the soft-prison of the in-law ordeal.

Farang's with their heads on right don't allow it to happen, but their partners may insist and basically hen-peck their husbands into complying.

rolleyes.gif

Depends on the inlaws and the size of the house.

thumbsup.gif I've had more than one carnal thought about my sister-in-law. Just thoughts mind you.

Good thing she lives in a different house! clap2.gif

• Like 2

ChrisB87, in Asian culture many oldest sons live with their parents once married or their parents live with them & it's the oldest sons job to take care of them . No trickery just culture

My Thai brother-in-law (wife's sister's husband) did/does this.

Wifey is always telling me how her sister's Mother-in-law is driving her nuts!

I forget who said it, but "Give me liberty or give me death" seems appropriate when it comes to living with in-laws.

Why send them back to their hovels,just give them a letter to take to local Police to administer 10 strokes of the cane it will teach them who's MASTER,

I've been living with the inlaws for nearly three years and it's not a problem. But I suppose I went from a shared house while at uni to a shared house while working in London. They cook, wash up and clean the house allowing me and the missus to work and relax in the evening. They're always happy to help and never ask for money. I give them 4k a month for food that feeds all of us. If however there were any other family members who wanted to join in the fun, then I'm sorry, the answer would have been no. No matter how much pressure was put on me.