Massive Fuel Leak at CNX?

deesquared

He suggested that it was A-1 fuel. And he was right, according to the news report.

He also suggested it has a very low flash point and can explode at any time. Which is wrong. It's actually quite safe when it comes to simple spills.

And I'm still not sure what it was:

CHIANG MAI, 9 November 2014 (NNT) - Group Captain Wisut Chantana, as Director of Chiang Mai International Airport, has confirmed all flights services remain active despite an oil leak at the 19th aircraft stand last night (8 November 2014).

He said the incident did not affect the airport’s operation and passengers’ safety because the stand is fairly far from main lane and used for small aircraft only. Apart from the 19th stand which is being closed for oil cleaning, the rest are in service.

The incident involved a large volume of oil leaking from a pipeline under the control of PTT Public Company Limited

He suggested that it was A-1 fuel. And he was right, according to the news report.

He also suggested it has a very low flash point and can explode at any time. Which is wrong. It's actually quite safe when it comes to simple spills.

And I'm still not sure what it was:

CHIANG MAI, 9 November 2014 (NNT) - Group Captain Wisut Chantana, as Director of Chiang Mai International Airport, has confirmed all flights services remain active despite an oil leak at the 19th aircraft stand last night (8 November 2014).

He said the incident did not affect the airport’s operation and passengers’ safety because the stand is fairly far from main lane and used for small aircraft only. Apart from the 19th stand which is being closed for oil cleaning, the rest are in service.

The incident involved a large volume of oil leaking from a pipeline under the control of PTT Public Company Limited

The other article stated it was A-1.

Update: Our tap water definitely smells like fuel now. I just took a shower and it smells like someone spilled a gallon of petrol in our bathroom.

It just keeps getting better and probably will for a while longer. When are you going to get out of there/move?

Update: Our tap water definitely smells like fuel now. I just took a shower and it smells like someone spilled a gallon of petrol in our bathroom.

Ah, don't worry about it dude...just keep chillin' out.

After all, you're not the kind of guy who worries about building bomb shelters, right?

Its all good. Just boil it first and then add some sweetener ;-)

After all, you're not the kind of guy who worries about building bomb shelters, right?

Your input really isn't constructive. Please find something else to do.

It just keeps getting better and probably will for a while longer. When are you going to get out of there/move?

Move?! That would be a bit of an over reaction wouldn't it?

This makes one wonder.

The water from your moo-bahn may be from a well?

If so it may now be contaminated?

Does you moo-bahn use govt water or well water or?

This makes one wonder.

The water from your moo-bahn may be from a well?

If so it may now be contaminated?

Does you moo-bahn use govt water or well water or?

It's city water. And I just opened the grate on the street where the water pipe is and there is definitely fuel floating on the surface of the water.

Hope it is not kerosene Jet A and Jet A-1 fuel because it has a very low flash point and can explode at any time.
um, I think you confusing jet with avgas.
Looks like it was A-1. He got it right.

No he didn't - Avgas is far more flammable than A and A-1.

Jet fuels are designed to be vaporised and mixed with air to ignite.

he actually said "Hope it is not kerosene Jet A and Jet A-1 fuel". Some confused people in this forum.

My constructive input to learn from this for your family was shot down by you.

Still, I understand your current dilemma and I will inform you that if you are on city water and it is filled with fuel then you have a long-term issue on your hands. You had better start making arrangements now for an alternate water source.

I do not know the city water source, do you? Is it a reservoir? This information will allow us to help you determine how long it will be contaminated.

Do you currently have a reservoir or tank at your property that would allow for water to be trucked in?

Hope it is not kerosene Jet A and Jet A-1 fuel because it has a very low flash point and can explode at any time.
um, I think you confusing jet with avgas.
Looks like it was A-1. He got it right.

No he didn't - Avgas is far more flammable than A and A-1.

Jet fuels are designed to be vaporised and mixed with air to ignite.

he actually said "Hope it is not kerosene Jet A and Jet A-1 fuel". Some confused people in this forum.

I'm not sure if you are a native English speaker but when we say "I hope it's not..." what we are saying is that we think it may be. You use that expression when you are assuming one thing but hoping for another. It's one of those odd English grammar things.

Still, I understand your current dilemma and I will inform you that if you are on city water and it is filled with fuel then you have a long-term issue on your hands. You had better start making arrangements now for an alternate water source.

I do not know the city water source, do you? Is it a reservoir? This information will allow us to help you determine how long it will be contaminated.

Do you currently have a reservoir or tank at your property that would allow for water to be trucked in?

Be interesting to hear what the Water Board have to say !

Edited by alfieconn
  • Like 1

Be interesting to hear what the Water Board have to say !

Indeed. I'm going to check with my neighbors to see if they are experiencing the same.