Massive Fuel Leak at CNX?

deesquared

We just woke up (4am) to the smell of our house filled with a very strong gasoline smell. Heading outside it was even stronger. I walked up to our guard shack to investigate and my eyes were watering profusely. According to them there was a massive fuel leak at the airport and they are draining it off using the city's canal system. Must have been a massive amount to stink up the city like this!

• Like 1

I do not understand why you have chosen to remain in the vicinity with your family IF the fumes are as bad as you describe.

They are most certsinly a health hazard and without knowing the quantity or containment of the spill you could be in an explosion risk.

I do not understand why you have chosen to remain in the vicinity with your family IF the fumes are as bad as you describe.

They are most certsinly a health hazard and without knowing the quantity or containment of the spill you could be in an explosion risk.

Where would I go? And no one else was evacuating. I have friends that live 10 km away that said they could smell it as well. Yikes. The police didn't seem to know anything about it when I called. And our guards weren't that concerned. So I wasn't sure what to do.

Where would I go? And no one else was evacuating. I have friends that live 10 km away that said they could smell it as well. Yikes. The police didn't seem to know anything about it when I called. And our guards weren't that concerned. So I wasn't sure what to do.

Where would you go?

Far away from the airport as fast as possible. Probably head north since you are on the south side of town and the drainage is to the south since that is downhill. There are hotels north ofCM. Unless you are stuck in the herd mentality, do not worry about what the others are doing or not doing.

Yikes?????

Was at the airport at 6am to drop someone off, the smell was overpowering, and as we drove home down Mahidol Road it lingered for about 1 km. The airport seemed to be functioning as normal, I didn't notice any unusual activities. Can anyone confirm exactly what happened?

According to them there was a massive fuel leak at the airport and they are draining it off using the city's canal system.

Must have been a massive amount to stink up the city like this!

Wow I wonder if that what it was?

We are way over on Changklan & this morning went outside & thought they had

sprayed for mosquitoes

But it was different/odd smelling...

I still can't find anything online. Our Muu Ban guards said it happened at 10pm last night. Friends of mine smelled it way out on the third ring road (Samoeng RD) out in Hang Dong. And then Mania said he smelled it on Chang Clang Rd. That's a huge radius. 10 mile radius I figure. Most of Chiang Mai.

Edited by deesquared
  • Like 1

Hope it is not kerosene Jet A and Jet A-1 fuel because it has a very low flash point and can explode at any time.

um, I think you confusing jet with avgas.

May be a gas leak, but surely there is no news leak....... For heavens sake, let anything happen to nearby residents, but don't let the news out.. ...that would be bad for tourism....

Any gas leak of the size of area that is reporting smelling fumes, has the potential to be very dangerous. Common sense would say to notify nearby residents....... KA-Toot forgot for a moment .... TIT

Hope they at least put up a sign saying "electronic cigarettes only"

Edited by Gonzo the Face
  • Like 1

Hope it is not kerosene Jet A and Jet A-1 fuel because it has a very low flash point and can explode at any time.

Some grades of aviation kerosine have a much lower flash point than others. I have just Googled kerosine Jet A and it has a flashpoint of 60C.

Avgas for piston engined aircraft has a flashpoint below 40C.

Both fuels will float on top of water and needs foam or carbon dioxide to put it out. Pouring water onto an aircraft fuel fuel fire merely gives the burnibg fuel a chance to float off and burn elsewhere. If there is fuel in the klongs it will be very dangerous if in catches fire.

Actually Jet A-1 (essentially kerosene) has a high flashpoint of around 38-42 degrees C (manufacturer data) in comparison with gasoline which has a flashpoint of -40 C. With the cooler temperature being experienced now it is unlikely to reach flashpoint.

Actually Jet A-1 (essentially kerosene) has a high flashpoint of around 38-42 degrees C (manufacturer data) in comparison with gasoline which has a flashpoint of -40 C. With the cooler temperature being experienced now it is unlikely to reach flashpoint.

Yeah. It's 32 c out right now.

Some grades of aviation kerosine have a much lower flash point than others. I have just Googled kerosine Jet A and it has a flashpoint of 60C.

Avgas for piston engined aircraft has a flashpoint below 40C.

Both fuels will float on top of water and needs foam or carbon dioxide to put it out. Pouring water onto an aircraft fuel fuel fire merely gives the burnibg fuel a chance to float off and burn elsewhere. If there is fuel in the klongs it will be very dangerous if in catches fire.

below 40C as in -40C?

Edit, I see that was already pointed out.

Edited by dickyknee

Looks like it was A-1. He got it right.

No he didn't - Avgas is far more flammable than A and A-1.

Jet fuels are designed to be vaporised and mixed with air to ignite.

Edited by Chicog
  • Like 1

Looks like it was A-1. He got it right.

He suggested that it was A-1 fuel. And he was right, according to the news report.

He suggested that it was A-1 fuel. And he was right, according to the news report.

This thread probably needs clarification: It was a safe assumption since that is the fuel most in use at a commercial airport. What he was mistaken about is that said fuel has a low flashpoint.

The aviation fuel with a low flash point is AvGas.

The main thing to take away from this incident is that the OP might reconsider his belief that others will recognize a danger and take evasive action AND to have an Evacuation Plan ready for he and his family for various emergencies.

Edited by ClutchClark

Now its made the news.......

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/775164-jet-fuel-leakage-in-chiang-mai-caused-minor-disruption/

Is it just me, or are they very lucky nothing very serious happened.

We are all living on borrowed time here. Between this and the house with the chemicals that exploded on Friday and damaged 10 homes and killed two - combined with khom loy and fireworks everywhere....... \\\\

This thread probably needs clarification: It was a safe assumption since that is the fuel most in use at a commercial airport. What he was mistaken about is that said fuel has a low flashpoint.

The aviation fuel with a low flash point is AvGas.

The main thing to take away from this incident is that the OP might reconsider his belief that others will recognize a danger and take evasive action AND to have an Evacuation Plan ready for he and his family for various emergencies.

Yeah, I'm not the kind of person that builds a bomb shelter because I think ISIS may be living next door. I went out to investigate, questioned those in the know, was told I wasn't in any danger. And it appears as though that information was correct. I am alive.