Thai engineer noted on global list of women for solar power work

webfact

Wow! Well done Salinee Tavaranan.

The world needs more people like her, not just Thailand - but Thailand could be a bigger beneficiary of her work and the Government should support her efforts to help the rural underprivileged. A little smart thinking by them would suggest it takes a load off the public service? Can the interim Government rise to the challenge? Lets see some smart thinking! whistling.gif

• Like 2

Not so sure about this. the amounts she says does not add up. All of that would run for uner the 30 baht a month limit which means it would be free for those on the grid. If solar is that expensive someone is making a profit.

Could it possibly be that at present there are something like 300,000 households in Thailand without grid access.

For more info have a look at : http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.echocommunity.org/resource/collection/25F7955D-C19F-44AE-AA75-18A5DFC2B980/Solar_Power_for_Community_Development.pdf

Not so sure about this. the amounts she says does not add up. All of that would run for uner the 30 baht a month limit which means it would be free for those on the grid. If solar is that expensive someone is making a profit.

Could it possibly be that at present there are something like 300,000 households in Thailand without grid access.

For more info have a look at : http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.echocommunity.org/resource/collection/25F7955D-C19F-44AE-AA75-18A5DFC2B980/Solar_Power_for_Community_Development.pdf

And what would be the cost if they ran a proper diesel generator for the community.

And what would be the cost if they ran a proper diesel generator for the community.

You tell me.

Don't forget the ongoing costs of fuel, running power lines, carting fuel to remote places, a building to house the generator, someone to look the whole system.

Then if there is a problem with the generator everyone loses power whereas with solar cells each home is independent.

And ask the greenies about pollution when comparing each system.

When you have read the link I posted and done the comparison come back and let us know the result of your research.

• Like 2

Economically or Environmentally?

Economically or Environmentally?

It is not for the poor low energy users to pay for the envrionment.

Salinee Tavaranan - find a way to help her and not reasons why not to help her!

It is not her that needs help.

She had an NGO and from that now a business. It is the people in the hills that need the help.

I wonder if the volunteers have work permits.

Edited by harrry

Congratulations Salinee Tavaranan!

Watch her here:

And here (with a moving tribute near the end of the clip):

Wonderful work! ...and the country starting this kind of project since the early 90's is Cuba. At the present there are 9000 small community and health centers running in solar power in remotes areas in Cuba.....most installed by school teachers and foreign volunteers, the same group that work later for the children's playground project since 2005....and in the Infomed project to bring equipments and medicines to Cuban hospitals....itsjustthekids.org

All that, even with all the restrictions and the embargo from the US Government...

It is very possible that Salinee was involved in those projects, but I do not remember her.

Anyway..Congrats Salinee!!

"...flew to the US to study solar energy engineering at the University of Massachusetts' Lowell campus"

Not a top university. Not a top Solar Engineering program. Why not go to Germany?

They are #1 Solar panels use in the world.

How did they do it? "Government policy"

P.S. Does anyone in TV live "off the grid" in Thailand? 5555. I bet not. Thailand is First world country, with Quality McMansions.

Where I live, I have no electricy bill and only solar and wind power...

"...flew to the US to study solar energy engineering at the University of Massachusetts' Lowell campus"

Not a top university. Not a top Solar Engineering program. Why not go to Germany?

They are #1 Solar panels use in the world.

How did they do it? "Government policy"

P.S. Does anyone in TV live "off the grid" in Thailand? 5555. I bet not. Thailand is First world country, with Quality McMansions.

Where I live, I have no electricy bill and only solar and wind power...

Where do you live?