A Botched Euthanasia Attempt

Scott

I don't know which method is preferable. Far too many diverging opinions here to have an idea.

It's a personal decision to opt for the best way to end a companion journey in case of suffering.

I just want to say that IF the conclusion is that co2 is most suitable, it is relatively easy to get in large tanks from shops selling welding gases. We use it.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe what I have just read. Your loyal partner of 16 years and you thought it best to become a vet to put her out of her (or rather your) misery with something in a brown bottle?

And this morning you were too busy to do the right thing and take her to a vet to cease her suffering? Shame on you.

Scott has been to several vets trying to find one that would put the dog down. He couldn't find one, but got a dose that was suppose to do the job. It didn't work.

What's really bad is the difficulity to euthanize an animal here. It's just not right. Sometimes, it's the best thing to do.

Scott knows more about most regarding animals. My heart goes out to him during this horrible time.

Craig i can say 100% Muang Acke on Sukhumvit Road in Pattaya, does put down, because sadly i had to put one down few years ago.

Also Pattaya Animal Clinic does it , but go in the evening Dr Kwanchai, not his wife, he would also do it, as i had this discussion with him before.

I can't believe what I have just read. Your loyal partner of 16 years and you thought it best to become a vet to put her out of her (or rather your) misery with something in a brown bottle?

And this morning you were too busy to do the right thing and take her to a vet to cease her suffering? Shame on you.

Scott has been to several vets trying to find one that would put the dog down. He couldn't find one, but got a dose that was suppose to do the job. It didn't work.

What's really bad is the difficulity to euthanize an animal here. It's just not right. Sometimes, it's the best thing to do.

Scott knows more about most regarding animals. My heart goes out to him during this horrible time.

Craig i can say 100% Muang Acke on Sukhumvit Road in Pattaya, does put down, because sadly i had to put one down few years ago.

Also Pattaya Animal Clinic does it , but go in the evening Dr Kwanchai, not his wife, he would also do it, as i had this discussion with him before.

Agreed I've had to have a few put to sleep there. :(

Thanks for all the posts and suggestions. This morning she was still alive and there was movement and some yelping. I tried to give her water with a syringe, but she didn't seem to be able to swallow. I had to be out of town for work all day, but a colleague made arrangements for me to take her to a vet. When I got home, she had managed to move out of her corner and seemed to have some control of her head. I immediately gave her a syringe with water which was able to swallow and she wagged her tail. She got several large syringes of water as we went to the vet.

She would then sort of lapse back into a state of either unconsciousness or semi-consciousness.

To make a long story short, the vet said he would put her to sleep, but he thinks she MAY be able to recover. She was put on saline and blood tests were taken. She will remain in the vet clinic and if she is able to make a recovery, then she will live out her life naturally. If she isn't then the vet will do it humanely -- and he has agreed that he will.

He was very clear that he was in part willing to do euthanize her because of his long term friendship with a colleague. He does not want people to know since this is kind of a no-no.

She is now receiving the best care possible and any decision will be an informed decision.

And make no mistake, this mess was entirely of my own making. No one to blame but me. Unfortunately, I have been a very trusting and loyal companion through a great deal of misery because of it.

Good to hear, must be a massive relief also at least knowing that there is help?

I lost my (Pig) Daisy an English Bull Terrier 2 weeks ago, I was absolutely gutted not to see her before she passed away, It was sudden and in her sleep so I'm told.

:(

Why not just keep the dog as comfortable as possible until nature takes its course instead of torturing it with bizarre attempts at euthanasia.

Hindsight is 20/20. It's a little complicated as to the reasons this happened and there was some pressure to get rid of the dog because she can't get around to take care of her bathroom business like she did before, but that aside, it was a very, very stupid thing to do.

Scott,

So happy to hear that your dog is recovering !!! She must pretty strong to survive so long with no or very little fluids. I am really glad that issue is being taken care of now. I believe that will help enormously ...and I'm hoping for the best. Please continue to keep us updated. smile.png

Why not just keep the dog as comfortable as possible until nature takes its course instead of torturing it with bizarre attempts at euthanasia.

Hindsight is 20/20. It's a little complicated as to the reasons this happened and there was some pressure to get rid of the dog because she can't get around to take care of her bathroom business like she did before, but that aside, it was a very, very stupid thing to do.

I can understand that and that it was well intentioned. But the follow up suggestions about drowning, gassing etc are just asking for the dog to suffer and you to feel bad.

Had I not found a very good vet through a colleague, I would have been forced to do something. The dog was suffering. It remains to be seen whether she will be able to recover, but I went to see her today and she is in pretty tough shape, but she is comfortable and she is in no pain. She is getting IV fluids and she is is passing urine normally.

The vet had called my colleague to report that she was progressing and was moving about to prevent soiling herself. I changed her bedding -- she has rugs from home that she always liked to sleep on, so I brought a clean one and I have left my used shirt for her, so she has familiar smells. I think this is important because she is blind and deaf.

Thanks for all the posts and suggestions. This morning she was still alive and there was movement and some yelping. I tried to give her water with a syringe, but she didn't seem to be able to swallow. I had to be out of town for work all day, but a colleague made arrangements for me to take her to a vet. When I got home, she had managed to move out of her corner and seemed to have some control of her head. I immediately gave her a syringe with water which was able to swallow and she wagged her tail. She got several large syringes of water as we went to the vet.

She would then sort of lapse back into a state of either unconsciousness or semi-consciousness.

To make a long story short, the vet said he would put her to sleep, but he thinks she MAY be able to recover. She was put on saline and blood tests were taken. She will remain in the vet clinic and if she is able to make a recovery, then she will live out her life naturally. If she isn't then the vet will do it humanely -- and he has agreed that he will.

He was very clear that he was in part willing to do euthanize her because of his long term friendship with a colleague. He does not want people to know since this is kind of a no-no.

She is now receiving the best care possible and any decision will be an informed decision.

And make no mistake, this mess was entirely of my own making. No one to blame but me. Unfortunately, I have been a very trusting and loyal companion through a great deal of misery because of it.

How wonderful! I will keep my fingers crossed for you and yours. I wish you the all the luck in the world. I am also glad that the dog is in a vet's care and you have one that understands that it is a quality of life issue. I am so glad that you did not 'listen' to the others on this site that suggested that you "gas" the poor thing. For you have already gone through enough. Also do NOT blame yourself! You did what you thought was your best. Now just let things take their course and allow the vet to do their thing.

I do hope all works out and your pet gets better. But if the end does need to come about... remember it is in the animal's best interest and no one is to blame!

I have posted the correct medications here on this site... maybe have a look to make sure? Also the 2-stage process is only used so that the family can say "Good Bye" before the second lethal dose is administered.

All the best to you and yours!

• Like 2

Just a final post to let everyone know how this all worked out. On Friday late afternoon I went to see her and to meet with the vet. They had done such a wonderful job of caring for her. She had a bad case of mites and they had gotten her all cleaned up. She was able to get up and stand, but she couldn't walk. I brought her favorite canned dog food, which she ate and then sat and held her for a couple of hours. We sat on the floor and she was resting nicely in my lap.

My colleague from work, a most wonderful lady and dog lover, was there and talked to the vet. The vet recommended that she be put to sleep. He said that at 16 she was never going to get much better. She was comfortable and not in pain or distress. The vet's assistant started the process of administering the drugs to put her to sleep. She just laid in my lap until she died. She has been cremated and I will get her ashes later in the week.

The suggestions and help from many of you has been helpful and appreciated.

Just a final post to let everyone know how this all worked out. On Friday late afternoon I went to see her and to meet with the vet. They had done such a wonderful job of caring for her. She had a bad case of mites and they had gotten her all cleaned up. She was able to get up and stand, but she couldn't walk. I brought her favorite canned dog food, which she ate and then sat and held her for a couple of hours. We sat on the floor and she was resting nicely in my lap.

My colleague from work, a most wonderful lady and dog lover, was there and talked to the vet. The vet recommended that she be put to sleep. He said that at 16 she was never going to get much better. She was comfortable and not in pain or distress. The vet's assistant started the process of administering the drugs to put her to sleep. She just laid in my lap until she died. She has been cremated and I will get her ashes later in the week.

The suggestions and help from many of you has been helpful and appreciated.

Respect!

May she rest in Peace ... or run happily over the green fields

My deepest sympathy for your loss. 16 years together is a long time.

Vets will not put down an animal no matter how much it's suffering. sad.png

Plastic bag and car exhaust is a good way. If you don't have a car just a plastic bag tightly over the head will work.

Good on you for trying to end unnecessary suffering wai.gif

Some vets will euthanase a pet. I had a cat with renal failure put to sleep by a vet in Pattaya. It was at the vet's suggestion as she saw no hope of recovery and only a painful & slow death.