Obama warns Abbott over Iraq

webfact

Barack Obama and Tony Abbott have one-on-one meeting before APEC

BEIJING: BARACK Obama has told Tony Abbott that the fight against Islamic State in Iraq is moving into a new phase and he wants countries like Australia to supplement its commitment to the conflict.

The Iraq campaign was top of the agenda when Mr Obama and Mr Abbott had a lengthy one-on-one meeting before the APEC summit in Beijing on Monday.

The talks came days after Mr Obama announced he was sending an extra 1500 US troops into the strife-torn nation to help train local security forces.

“We’re moving to a slightly different phase now,” the US president told reporters after the meeting.

Initially, the campaign had been aimed at stopping Islamic State’s advance, now it is to build up the Iraqi security forces so they can fight effectively on their own, he said.

“As we are setting that up, I am having conversations with Australia and other coalition partners that are already committed to putting trainers in to see how they can supplement and work with us in this overall effort,” he said.

Full story: http://www.news.com.au/world/asia/barack-obama-and-tony-abbott-have-oneonone-meeting-before-apec/story-fnh81fz8-1227118703539

news.com.au.jpg
-- News.com.au 2014-11-10

Where does the article say Obama "warned" Abbot?

Obama needs to sit down and shut up for the next two years. His policies were soundly rebuked by American voters last week.

A sound rebuke from what?... 38% of the (apathetic, fence-sitting) voting public?
  • Like 2

Dear Mr. president, if you had initiated actions against IS back in 2012 when you were warned and

advised to do so, you wouldn't have to issue any warning now to nobody, but you didn't, you said

that this is NOT America's fight, oh boy, how wrong you were...

• Like 1

Obama needs to sit down and shut up for the next two years. His policies were soundly rebuked by American voters last week.

I agree, the headline is another fine example of wanting to sell advertising by attracting readers through sensationalist headlines. There was a lot in play in the midterm elections (having the least voter turnout since WW II, so we have to be careful not to overplay the "soundly rebuked" angle). Now that the Republicans have control of the Senate and House, as well as, a conservative Supreme Court, I look forward to seeing what positive legislation is passed to address the country's problems. I'll keep my power dry, reacting only to actual proposals rather than speculating on what I suspect will be taking place in these next two years.

• Like 1

Great idea train the Iraqi army again so they can turn tail and run away from another enemy they out number and out gun.

Isis needs to be resupplied with arms and ammunition by someone. tongue.png

• Like 1

Great idea train the Iraqi army again so they can turn tail and run away from another enemy they out number and out gun.

Obviously after their previous training, the Americans realise they're crap at training soldiers and have outsourced to a country more capable. clap2.gif

• Like 2

I agree.....the yanks didn't do a very good job in Training the Iraqis so they should sit back and let the Australians and Canadians etc. take over and do things efficiently without American(Obamas ) interference

Dear Mr. president, if you had initiated actions against IS back in 2012 when you were warned and

advised to do so, you wouldn't have to issue any warning now to nobody, but you didn't, you said

that this is NOT America's fight, oh boy, how wrong you were...

As always, follow the money...

I agree.....the yanks didn't do a very good job in Training the Iraqis so they should sit back and let the Australians and Canadians etc. take over and do things efficiently without American(Obamas ) interference

It's not a secret,Canadians and Aussies are used to do heavy lifting for Americans.

• Like 1

Bush and Blair started this mess and now the USA wants to dump the problem with other countries.

Libya and Egypt are other examples of their meddling.

The Ragheads started this mess a thousand years ago.

If the so-called Religion of Peace were true, there would be no problem.

The religion of peace stuff only applies after the world is infidel-free. It does not include other religions besides Islam.

There's other religions too who see gentiles just as a source profit, not worthy of human rights.

Bush and Blair started this mess and now the USA wants to dump the problem with other countries.

Libya and Egypt are other examples of their meddling.

Amazing isn't it how the world police force AKA America is able to do this conscripting others to do their dirty work. IE: peace loving Canada doing all the bombing runs in Libya. Shock and awe!

A sound rebuke from what?... 38% of the (apathetic, fence-sitting) voting public?

YES considering that % tops the turn out on voting days

I think Canada should pass on this glorious offer to die for an American mess.

• Like 1

It's not a secret,Canadians and Aussies are used to do heavy lifting for Americans.

Sad but true. Love to hear an explanation for that.