Hospital in Bangkok clarifies 'ban' on pregnant employees

webfact

Hospital Clarifies 'Ban' On Pregnant Employees
By Khaosod English

14156147491415614893l.jpg
A memo, which was allegedly posted at Rajavithi Hospital's pharmacy department and signed by more than 30 employees, reads: "Announcement: From 30 October 2014 - 31 December 2015, all female officials have to take contraceptive pills. Do not get pregnant. If pregnant, quit your job."

BANGKOK — The director of a public hospital in Bangkok says he has retracted an order that threatened to fire pregnant employees.

The memo, which was allegedly posted at the pharmacy department at Rajavithi Hospital and signed by more than 30 employees, reads:

"Announcement: From 30 October 2014 - 31 December 2015, all female officials have to take contraceptive pills. Do not get pregnant. If pregnant, quit your job."

A photo of the announcement taken by a disgruntled employee recently went viral on social media, where it drew strong criticism over the perceived prejudice of the hospital's administration. The order also contradicts Thailand's labour laws, which allows 90 days of maternal leave to employees.

In response to the controversy, Rajavithi Hospital director Udom Chaowarin said he has cancelled the order, which only applied to one department. It was never endorsed as an official policy by the hospital directors, he said.

According to Udom, the supervisor of that deparment, whose workforce is almost “100 percent” women, was worried that too many pregnancies at the same time would cause a labour shortage.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1415614749

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-11-10

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good for the employee for posting the memo. Normally Thai's just accept. I know of a business where they just implemented a policy where if you are overweight they take 1000b per month from your salary until you lose weight then they will give you back your own money. And nobody is standing up for themselves. Crazy....

• Like 1

Not uncommon in Thailand some people to speak with their a$$e and not with their mouth.

If this had happened in Europe, the guy would have been dismissed immediately.

But this is Thailand...............

If this was written by a male, he should be castrated, preferable with a rusty penknife and two bricks.

And if a female she should be sterilised and have any kids she has taken of her.

• Like 2

I'm stunned. The hospital director says the supervisor was worried about losing staff to pregnancy but fails to note that, if pregnant, the woman must quit her job. Duh! Back to square one. Which begs the question, just what would happen if every hospital department held to the same policy. The hospital would have to close.

Note to supervisor: Most of the other departments are full of female staff. Transfer staff around. But I guess that's too much work for a xxxx-xxxxx xxxxxxxx (just censored myself).

Not uncommon in Thailand some people to speak with their a$$e and not with their mouth.

In the US, a woman decides to have a family and gets several months paid maternity leave while a guy only gets his annual vacation time off paid.

In the US, a woman can miss months of work on maternity leave but still expects to be paid the same salary as a guy who never misses a day of work.

In other words, the solutions in the US are still not equitable...simply lopsided in favor of the female who chooses to have children.

Maybe Europe has sorted it all out better.

• Like 1

Misogynist

Try reading the article, it was an attempt to be practical. It failed. It was not about misogyny.
Maybe not misogyny, but was definitely discriminatory and illegal.

Seems like the manager acted impulsively out of desperation. I would be curious to see his employment records over the past few years to see how frequently the staff are getting knocked up and taking time off.

As for discriminatory-- possibly. Can anyone read Thai to see if he included the same ban on men getting pregnant?

;-)

Edited by ClutchClark

Misogynist

Try reading the article, it was an attempt to be practical. It failed. It was not about misogyny.

I didn't see anywhere where it was written that men must get a vasectomy or be forced to wear double strength condoms in order to prevent pregnancies. That would be "practical". The only difference would be that the responsibility would be on the male, and we can't be having that. Can we?

Misogynist

I didn't see anywhere where it was written that men must get a vasectomy or be forced to wear double strength condoms in order to prevent pregnancies. That would be "practical". The only difference would be that the responsibility would be on the male, and we can't be having that. Can we?

Maybe his department has an all-female staff?

• Like 1

Misogynist

From wikipedia: Misogyny can be manifested in numerous ways, including sexual discrimination, denigration of women, ...

Sure seems to fit the definition.

As for being an attempt to be practical... Get real.

In any real country, this 'supervisor' would be sumarily fired and quite likely various civil, and possibly criminal, charges filed against him. But NOT in Thailand. Land of the Sad Sacks.

• Like 1

Misogynist

From wikipedia: Misogyny can be manifested in numerous ways, including sexual discrimination, denigration of women, ...

Sure seems to fit the definition.

As for being an attempt to be practical... Get real.

In any real country, this 'supervisor' would be sumarily fired and quite likely various civil, and possibly criminal, charges filed against him. But NOT in Thailand. Land of the Sad Sacks.

Get real? It was obviously an attempt by a dimwitted boss to run his department with a full staff; ergo, a very misdirected attempt to be practical.

As for criminal charges--you have no idea of what you are spouting off about, do you?

BTW, Thailand is a "real" Country. Your hatred is showing. You may want to try and hide it under the surface.

• Like 1

Good for the employee for posting the memo. Normally Thai's just accept. I know of a business where they just implemented a policy where if you are overweight they take 1000b per month from your salary until you lose weight then they will give you back your own money. And nobody is standing up for themselves. Crazy....

But what an excellent policy.... get rid of the fat Bustards... I hope the Thai police follow suit...! w00t.gif .

If this was written by a male, he should be castrated, preferable with a rusty penknife and two bricks.

And if a female she should be sterilised and have any kids she has taken of her.

I agree with your sentiments, but your suggestions show a sick mind. How many wrongs make something right?

Misogynist

Only a prize goose could come up with that comment. Any chance you might be leaving the planet in the near future as you are worthless drain on society.

You should find it exceptionally easy to recognise those qualities that you mention.

CC

You seem to possess a thai mentality...

Practical solution? Like a blow torch to a WW2 shell....

CB

You appear to have trouble with reading comprehension. I do not consider it a practical solution, I was suggesting that is what the manager considered it to be.

Your analogy suggests a melodramatic streak since Thais have died on atleast two recent occasions cutting ordinance for scrap and no lives have been lost in this managers boneheaded memo.