British police examining Koh Tao murder probe to return to UK

webfact

If the B2 ever get to face a Thai trial judge(s) can someone with relevant knowledge please tell me whether the proceedings will be witnessed by any media/general public, apart from lawyers, RTP, Military and Influentials. Jd has already opined that there might not be a transcript of the trial. IMHO any attempt to suppress the full content of the trial proceedings will be met with justified condemnation of the Thai Justice system.

Thanks to those whose only wish is to see truth and justice prevail above vested interests, there will be a 'jury' of many thousands, if not millions carefully studying the outcome, and I think the trial judge(s) is acutely aware that he will also be 'judged' by the world at large as to how he performs on the day, if that day ever arrives.

Not sure what is supposed to happen by law, but in practice it is common to wait for the judge that has been picked (i.e. paid) by the RTP/Prosecutor and/or accusor to become available and then haul the accused in on short notice for a quick conviction. As often as not, the defense lawyer gets a call after the court is in session if at all.

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the B2 ever get to face a Thai trial judge(s) can someone with relevant knowledge please tell me whether the proceedings will be witnessed by any media/general public, apart from lawyers, RTP, Military and Influentials. Jd has already opined that there might not be a transcript of the trial. IMHO any attempt to suppress the full content of the trial proceedings will be met with justified condemnation of the Thai Justice system.

Thanks to those whose only wish is to see truth and justice prevail above vested interests, there will be a 'jury' of many thousands, if not millions carefully studying the outcome, and I think the trial judge(s) is acutely aware that he will also be 'judged' by the world at large as to how he performs on the day, if that day ever arrives.

There is no transcript made of Thai trials. The judge sums up what he feels are the salient points at the end of each day and dictates them into a dictaphone. Often judges are reassigned during the course of a trial and a new judge with no prior knowledge of the case takes over. His only means of finding out what has happened to date is to listen to the commentary recorded by his predecessor. Journalists are allowed in the courtroom but judges usually dislike them taking notes and often specifically prohibit note taking. It is illegal for journalists to publish anything about the trial until it is finished which may take years, as the court usually only convenes once a month for each case with sessions often postponed endlessly when some one (often a police officer) doesn't show up to give evidence. Judges may publish their rulings at the end but transcripts are not published because their aren't any.

The Thai justice system, in addition to the police, is desperately need of reform but that doesn't seem on the agenda at the moment. Defendants are heavily pressurised to plead guilty (even without torture) and threatened with much more severe sentences, if they don't, without having the details of the prosecution's case to help them and their lawyers make a decision. Tiny bail is often given (e.g. B20k in the case of the guy who murdered the Danish man's wife in front of multiple witnesses in a recent thread which is the same as the bail for drunk driving.) In other cases no bail is given for relatively petty offences like defamation.

One of the worst deficiencies of the Thai justice system IMHO is that, unlike in English common law jurisdictions where judges are appointed from the ranks of successful (and wealthy) senior barristers, or trial lawyers, Thai judges are taken on straight from university based on exams (we know what that means) and connections. They serve time in the provinces until they can secure a post in Bangkok (we also know what that means). Unlike barristers who are already financially successful when they are called to the bench, the only way Thai judges can become rich is while sitting on the bench. The whole system is a blueprint for corruption.

Regarding the question of why the 2B told the HNCR they committed the crimes, this has already been explained by the Burmese lawyer. He said that the 2B didn't trust the Thai HNCR at first or even the Burmese lawyer or the folk from the Burmese embassy. This is because they thought the HNCR were really from the police and they would be tortured again if they didn't repeat the confession story. Since the pancake interpreter had told them he was from the Burmese embassy and then beat them, they didn't trust the embassy folk or the Burmese lawyer at first either. According to him, they only started to trust them and tell them the truth after they brought their parents to see them.

Well laid out. Thai Criminal Justice system is a Kafkaesque nightmare. Can`t blame that on current Junta but Martial Law makes even more abuses possible. It fits my own limited (and expensive, lawyers etc) experience. Even more is well documented in this recent article and it just keeps getting worse, The wild,wild east can be fun for a while until you have the family obligations and UNTIL something goes terribly wrong unexpectedly. When sct happens in LOSt it can be really bad sct., for anyone.

http://asiancorrespondent.com/127509/

• Like 1

Thailandchilli. Thai criminal justice system is broken.. Military regimes with the powers of martial law and accountable to none just make further abuses and travesties even more likely as we see on kt.

Only the Thais can change their country for the better but they need help of a free press overseas, ngos like Andy Hall`s, Amnesty Int, AHRC, friendly `democratic` govts and organisations.

Just maybe the slightly greater speech freedom risks we risk on TV help Thais to speak up too.

David and Hannah`s families will never forget all this. Most of us here on TV will not forget this and the wider darkness now apparent.

Not difficult to guess which `dark forces` reported you for supposedly quoting BP.

Andrew Marshall, author "A Kingdom in Crisis" thanks the good Pol Comm General Somyot for banning his book and making him an overnight Amazon best seller.

Link thru http://twitter.com/pakhead

Edit: Why did head of army, head of NCPO, PM appoint the good Somyot as Police Commissioner General?

It seems to be in this link and the dramatic conclusion.

http://thaitribune.org/en/hot-issue/5886

Edited by heyexile
  • Like 1

There is no transcript made of Thai trials. The judge sums up what he feels are the salient points at the end of each day and dictates them into a dictaphone. Often judges are reassigned during the course of a trial and a new judge with no prior knowledge of the case takes over. His only means of finding out what has happened to date is to listen to the commentary recorded by his predecessor. Journalists are allowed in the courtroom but judges usually dislike them taking notes and often specifically prohibit note taking. It is illegal for journalists to publish anything about the trial until it is finished which may take years, as the court usually only convenes once a month for each case with sessions often postponed endlessly when some one (often a police officer) doesn't show up to give evidence. Judges may publish their rulings at the end but transcripts are not published because their aren't any.

The Thai justice system, in addition to the police, is desperately need of reform but that doesn't seem on the agenda at the moment. Defendants are heavily pressurised to plead guilty (even without torture) and threatened with much more severe sentences, if they don't, without having the details of the prosecution's case to help them and their lawyers make a decision. Tiny bail is often given (e.g. B20k in the case of the guy who murdered the Danish man's wife in front of multiple witnesses in a recent thread which is the same as the bail for drunk driving.) In other cases no bail is given for relatively petty offences like defamation.

One of the worst deficiencies of the Thai justice system IMHO is that, unlike in English common law jurisdictions where judges are appointed from the ranks of successful (and wealthy) senior barristers, or trial lawyers, Thai judges are taken on straight from university based on exams (we know what that means) and connections. They serve time in the provinces until they can secure a post in Bangkok (we also know what that means). Unlike barristers who are already financially successful when they are called to the bench, the only way Thai judges can become rich is while sitting on the bench. The whole system is a blueprint for corruption.

Regarding the question of why the 2B told the HNCR they committed the crimes, this has already been explained by the Burmese lawyer. He said that the 2B didn't trust the Thai HNCR at first or even the Burmese lawyer or the folk from the Burmese embassy. This is because they thought the HNCR were really from the police and they would be tortured again if they didn't repeat the confession story. Since the pancake interpreter had told them he was from the Burmese embassy and then beat them, they didn't trust the embassy folk or the Burmese lawyer at first either. According to him, they only started to trust them and tell them the truth after they brought their parents to see them.

"There is no transcript made of Thai trials. The judge sums up what he feels are the salient points at the end of each day and dictates them into a dictaphone.

I have a question ... and I have no experience in a Thai courtroom so I don't know the answer.

A lawyer practicing in Thailand wrote that a Thai judge records the trial and that all testimony will be placed in a computer file by a clerk, and that the Chief Judge of the Supreme Court is charged with setting regulations that determine the type of recording the judges must use.

Google: www.buriramexpats.com and Criminal Law in Thailand and 12/12/2010.

So is the judge's summary that you are describing the "recording" this other lawyer is describing?

And there is no other transcript of the trial or the witnesses testimony?

Do you either have a source I could look at (out of interest) or have broad enough experience in Thai courts to answer this definitively?

Less than a week since the two top CIB BIB got the boot today the two top CSD Crime Suppression Division BIB also got the boot..................interesting stuff going on

Would like a link to the CSD news if you can. Thanks

The English Language B ig P aper we are not allowed to link....wink.png

Yeh, sorry I was a bit slow there. Found it.

Maybe some of the large sums allegedly sent from island to BKK within hours of tragedy have been leaked.

Cant see how their boss (CIB and CSD) and pol academy buddy good Pol Comm General Somyot would not have known sooner. Why did he and PM take over the case so quickly and pronounce it publicly complete and perfect? Massive political influence/connections? Surely they can`t just transfer all those under them who had no high profile connection to case? Martial Law an all, I guess they can do whatever they want. Strange stuff brewing?

Edited by heyexile
  • Like 1

Well laid out. Thai Criminal Justice system is a Kafkaesque nightmare. Can`t blame that on current Junta but Martial Law makes even more abuses possible. It fits my own limited (and expensive, lawyers etc) experience. Even more is well documented in this recent article and it just keeps getting worse, The wild,wild east can be fun for a while until you have the family obligations and UNTIL something goes terribly wrong unexpectedly. When sct happens in LOSt it can be really bad sct., for anyone.

http://asiancorrespondent.com/127509/

Sobering and thought provoking posts including the link to Asia Correspondent.

In light of the above what chance of justice........zilch

We can only hope that the British have been able to exert some pressure behind the scenes that may account for the current delays in proceedings, I'm sure they have some strong opinions based on their visit here and may be some strong evidence that would blow this apart.

But my fear is that things now have to proceed the Thai way and the course is already set for the final outcome, the delay is just a red herring and an opportunity to 'fix' more evidence.

I posted the alleged confession of one of the B2 earlier but it got deleted because of it being a Thai document so here is the translation:

"I confess that I stole black iPhone 4 which belongs to the deceased, David Miller

I also did kill David and Hanna and stole the belongings from David's shorts.

It was the police who taken back the cellphone"

That's it, short, sweet, complete and utter bullshit, a confession that was forced out of him under torture or threat of torture.

I once had a fair level of respect for Thai PM Prayuth (and still do to a certain extent) and had high hopes that the promises he made about combating corruption would be acted on and seized as an opportunity for Thailand to show the world that it is committed to a progressing into a developing nation. How wrong I was.

When we have the Thai PM say this:

Prayuth denied that the Thai charge d'affaires in London, Nadhavathna Krishnamra, had been summoned over concern about how Thai authorities have handled the case. "They did not summon us. We went to provide clarification to them," Prayuth told reporters. "We went to show them how we work. They might be surprised at how quickly we work but we explained the steps we have in place." http://www.todayonline.com/world/thai-pm-plays-down-concern-over-tourist-murder-investigation
It forced the British Government to issue an official statement:
"Thai Chargé d’Affaires summoned over concerns about investigation into Hannah Witheridge and David Miller’s murders." https://www.gov.uk/government/news/fco-minister-summons-thai-charge-daffaires-to-foreign-office
So we have it from the top that lies and dishonesty are acceptable. This investigation is a complete farce for all involved. Its a disgrace for Thailand, for those that support and defend it, you should be ashamed. For those that say lets have the trial with a vigorous defense bah.gif
Thai people are a wonderful race, full of naivety but with a rich culture and resilient nature that deserve better than this from those in Authority. The families of the victims deserve justice.
I pray it is served............people power must not stop until the justice is seen to be done

not just accepted,

rewarded

post-214613-0-68934100-1416002217_thumb.

Edited by SteveFong

idk, fellas,

if I were the kind of guy who likes to puch people's buttons,

I would probably use a new screeen name to do it with,

seeings how the internet has a way of "storing" all sorts of things I may

as I have been posting wrecklessly to various different websites,

people wishing me happy birthday, on the same day, different sites,

my pictures on dating sites =, you know that sort of thing

do you mean places like thai for love clap2.gif looking for someone 18-100 wow not to self centered in that department.

sure explains the "bull" headness of the Taurus

This thread has quiet not sure why :) let's hope the UK Police report something soon

• Like 1

RTP gone silent.........guess the hole they've dug themselves is just to big to get out of.

I have a suspicion that the local media outlets may have been 'advised' to cut the publicity to the case.

On the 12th Nov Andy Hall tweeted a link by 'Flash News' about a statement made by the NHRC on the Koh Tao case regards the RTP's refusal to meet them, but its in Thai and no English version seems to have been published?

https://twitter.com/Atomicalandy

RTP gone silent.........guess the hole they've dug themselves is just to big to get out of.

I have a suspicion that the local media outlets may have been 'advised' to cut the publicity to the case.

On the 12th Nov Andy Hall tweeted a link by 'Flash News' about a statement made by the NHRC on the Koh Tao case regards the RTP's refusal to meet them, but its in Thai and no English version seems to have been published?

any updates from Andy Hall yet ?

any updates from Andy Hall yet ?

Andy just tweeted the latest NHRC statement confirming torture of the B2 http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Myanmar-suspects-tortured-rights-panel-says-30247901.html

• Like 1

I spotted an interesting article in Thai Rath over the week end, the gist of which I summarize below for the benefit of those who cannot read Thai.

"After the Koh Tao murders a crazy conspiracy developed with a view to making Thai people bitterly hate Thai police. They have repeatedly incited their friends to believe that Thai police looked for Burmese scapegoats to get forced confessions. After the dust had settled and the social media idiots all returned to America, it turned out after 3 DNA tests that the police were right.

Scotland Yard and the British Ambassador, who spent a long time engrossed in the case, asked to see all the details of the DNA tests of 300 people on Koh Tao and the taking of samples. All the Scotland Yard aunties and the British ambassador were so impressed that they asked the Thai police to come to the UK to train their own police. Even more important than the praise heaped on Thai police by the Brits was their admission that the Thai police used more advanced equipment and techniques in the investigation than their own.

Once the imaginative fantasies are over, hopefully people will stop criticizing Thai police."

• Like 1

I spotted an interesting article in Thai Rath over the week end, the gist of which I summarize below for the benefit of those who cannot read Thai.

"After the Koh Tao murders a crazy conspiracy developed with a view to making Thai people bitterly hate Thai police. They have repeatedly incited their friends to believe that Thai police looked for Burmese scapegoats to get forced confessions. After the dust had settled and the social media idiots all returned to America, it turned out after 3 DNA tests that the police were right.

Scotland Yard and the British Ambassador, who spent a long time engrossed in the case, asked to see all the details of the DNA tests of 300 people on Koh Tao and the taking of samples. All the Scotland Yard aunties and the British ambassador were so impressed that they asked the Thai police to come to the UK to train their own police. Even more important than the praise heaped on Thai police by the Brits was their admission that the Thai police used more advanced equipment and techniques in the investigation than their own.

Once the imaginative fantasies are over, hopefully people will stop criticizing Thai police."

Any way you can post a link to this article, or pm me the link? I would love to see the original.

Any way you can post a link to this article, or pm me the link? I would love to see the original.

I have PMed you the article. Couldn't post or link it here because it is in a foreign language.

Edited by Dogmatix

It is impossible to fight that wall of utter BS.

I'm sure a few British newspapers, politicians and Police forces would be interested in reading that.

Edited by Thaddeus
  • Like 1

The fantasies involved in this article are almost too numerous to list. 1) "...developed with a view to making Thai people bitterly hate the Thai police." Say WHAT??? The RTP do a dandy job of that all by themselves without having to turn to conspiracy theorists. 2) "...Thai police looked for Burmese scapegoats to get forced confessions." The Thai police would have been more than happy to force a "confession" out of, and hang it on, any non-Thai person. They had to find someone, and quick, before the news spread too far about this tragedy that was bound to effect tourism. Unfortunately the RTP didn't take into account the fact that there are those on social media who are capable of thinking for themselves, and not always willing to buy into the latest Thai governmental BS, and almost immediately started pointing out the failures of the RTP in their reportedly botched "investigation" techniques. 3) "After...the social media idiots all returned to America...". SURPRISE!!! Most of those "social media idiots" are living right here in the Land of Smiles! 4) "All...were so impressed...that they asked the Thai police to come to the UK to train their own police." Did they ask the same Thai police geniuses to bring some of those new bomb sniffing boxes with them? 5) "Even more important than the praise heaped on the Thai police by the Brits...". Anyone got a link to an article...ANY article...about all this "praise". Seems if this had transpired that, at least, The Nation, or the Bangkok Post would have had something, somewhere about it. 6) "...their admission that the Thai police used more advanced equipment and techniques in the investigation than their own." Apparently the Thai police have more recent DVD's of the latest season of CSI.

Interesting that their were no cites of articles or quotes of Thai authorities included in the article. Methinks the PM would have been all over such praise. My personal assessment of this "insightful" article"?.....................cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Edited by Traveler19491

Was this really the translation?

Reason I ask is to try ( sorry cannot read Thai) and understand what is actually written for the local audience, and wonder what the view of British Embassy would be of this.