Buriram rice growers scale up precaution by camping out next to rice piles

webfact

Buriram rice growers scale up precaution by camping out next to rice piles

BANGKOK, 11 November 2014 (NNT) – Rice growers in Buriram are taking precautions against rice theft to the next level, by camping out next to the piles of unhusked rice they have set out to dry so their produce can be kept under 24-hour watch.

Members of almost every household in Ban Sai Yong village in Krasang sub-district, Mueang district, Buriram have brought out tents and set up other amenities in open fields and on the sides of the road where the rice piles have been set out. The locals told reporters they have scaled up precautions because of frequent rice thefts experienced in previous years.

The harvested rice needs to be set out to dry for 2-3 days before selling, otherwise the price will fall to just 10 baht 50 satang per kilogram due to the undesirable moisture content; locals said dried unhusked rice fetches at least 15 baht per kilogram. Locals are expecting that they will fetch at least 16 baht per kilogram for their rice, although they will get by if they can sell it for 15 baht per kilogram.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-11-11 footer_n.gif

I can understand the rice thefts when the 'Rice Scheme' was in operation but not now. Perhaps the thefts are being perpetrated by landless farmers or those that have switched to other crops. Plenty of rice being dried around here at present, haven't seen any guards out, only theft of rice going on seems to be by poultry and other birds!

I can understand the rice thefts when the 'Rice Scheme' was in operation but not now. Perhaps the thefts are being perpetrated by landless farmers or those that have switched to other crops. Plenty of rice being dried around here at present, haven't seen any guards out, only theft of rice going on seems to be by poultry and other birds!

Or perhaps the theft is being perpetrated by the neighbours who also have a pile of rice, so can easily hide theft. If they did not suspect their neighbours of stealing, then villagers could just take turns standing guard, instead of all standing guard at the same time biggrin.png

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

They'd better check the mill price because they're in for a hell-of-a-shock. Mills around Prakhon Chai are offering 9 baht per kilo for dried rice this week

Harvested rice is worth guarding.

General Chatchai disclosed that the Commerce Ministry has reached out to rice traders and exporters on securing a guaranteed price for the 2014-15 crop yields. Assessments of both domestic and foreign markets have indicated that jasmine rice with a moisture content of under 15% should fetch an acceptable medium price of between 15,000 - 16,000 Baht.

Under a new rice pledging program BAAC will pay participating farmers 90 percent (compared to Yingluck’s rice pledge to pay up to 50 percent) of the market price for rice of their grains’ market value, or 11,700 baht a ton for sticky rice and 15,400 baht a ton for jasmine rice.

BAAC will also give government cash handouts at Bt1,000/rai to help offset costs.

I can understand the rice thefts when the 'Rice Scheme' was in operation but not now

even more understandable these days with the price down to < thb 10; in order to make a decent cut same as last year / 2 yrs ago you need to substantially increase the quantity of your crop - that's about all...by the way, Buriram is very close to Cambodia so we venture to guess that no Thai thoroughbred pinched all these piles, must be the notorious foreign gangs from yonder the border - how about they get DNAed just for sure?

Edited by thurien

I lived up that way for years and it is very common for people to steal your rice, rubber, corn or any other crop. It has happened to me once and my gfs family many times. Sometimes it's your neighbors doing it. Can't trust anyone so you need to take every precaution.

Stupid thread. They have always slept with their crops. Most are hard working but there are always a few that will come and nick your vegetables, shading material. pump equipment, whatever. Dare I say it? Cambodians come over here to steal buffaloes and tractors.

In Switzerland they still have special police to guard their grape crops when they are ready for harvest.

• Like 2

Round my way they pack it up every arvo and put it out next morning.

Theft in itself is not a problem unique to Thailand,it happens everywhere no matter what the nationality.

it's perfectly understandable that farmers would want to take precautions to protect their investment.

Every kilo lost (ether by theft or natural wastage) eats significantly into any profit derived from the remaining crop.

I imagine every kilo sold will be important enough for the extra effort!