Countdown for historic comet landing Nov 12

webfact

Countdown for historic comet landing tomorrow

11-11-2557-14-25-20-wpcf_728x407.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Members of the public have been invited to observe a countdown for a historic moment tomorrow (Wednesday) when a small spacecraft will try to make the first ever landing on a comet.

Dr Sarun Posayachinda, deputy director of the National Astronomical Research Institute, said that if everything goes on planned, a small spacecraft, Philae, will leave comet-chasing Rosetta spacecraft for a landing on Comet C-G at about 3.35 pm (Thailand’s time) tomorrow.

Rosetta spacecraft of the European Space Agency was sent into the space on March 2, 2003 with the sole mission of trying to unlock the mystery of the origins of life on Earth.

The spacecraft moved into the orbit of the comet on August 6 this year.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/countdown-historic-comet-landing-tomorrow/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-11-11

"a small spacecraft, Philae, will leave comet-chasing Rosetta spacecraft for a landing on Comet C-G at about 3.35 pm (Thailand’s time) tomorrow."

So Philae leaves the Rosetta space craft at 3.35pm Thai time.

How long is the decent and landing time? I read some place that it will be a few hours as it will be done slowly.

I'm busy from 3:30-6:30pm tomorrow. Hope I don't miss it.

Always fascinated by space exploration

People who like this might like a documentary that I was looking at in Canada I think it was on discovery or learning Chanel

Totality excellent I tried to get it on YouTube here couldn't

It is called

The cosmos A time life story

If any one can get it here let me know how u did it ,

I remember my Mum waking me and my brother up early one morning and turning on the TV (B&W)., telling us to watch. It was only slightly interesting to a 5 year old, but I remember to this day watching Neil Armstrong planting the flag.

This event is not quite so amazing, but only in light of what we have come to expect from our scientists.

People who like this might like a documentary that I was looking at in Canada I think it was on discovery or learning Chanel

It is called

If it's the Neil DeGrasse Tyson one, it's superb.

Available on Torrent sites, but forum rules prohibit me telling you how to do that.

wink.png

It is called

Do you mean, "Cosmos: A SpaceTime Odyssey"?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2395695/

God (the Christian one) created the heavens and the Earth including life on Earth is 6 days., ask any creationist. To them the world is only a few thousand years old. Problem solved, question answered. Why spend all the time and effort for nothing (sarcasm, just in case you don't know that too)?

seems to be covered in some sort of fine particle matter. not something you would expect of something zooming through space at a zillion kph. something that small also would have little gravity associated with it so further how do the particles stick and further where do they come from in such quantity.

seems to be covered in some sort of fine particle matter. not something you would expect of something zooming through space at a zillion kph. something that small also would have little gravity associated with it so further how do the particles stick and further where do they come from in such quantity.

You do know there's no wind, don't you?

biggrin.png

You do know there's no wind, don't you?

biggrin.png

I was going to say, that I presume there would have to be atmosphere for it to fly through in order for stuff to be blown off it. In deep space there is nothing to cause friction or whatever as it is a hard vacuum.

"In interstellar space, the density is about one atom per cubic meter. If you are in, say, the Orion nebula, the density is higher: about 10 atoms per cubic centi-meter or about 10^7 atoms per cubic meter. It's interesting to note that even this is much emptier than any vacuum made by humans."

Edited by greenfox

What a great idea for reducing landfills on earth. Select a nearby comet/asteroid...load it up with garbage, and eventually it will all get sucked down a black hole somewhere in the galaxy.

Even if it doesn't go to a black hole, we will surely get complaints from other planetary civilizations. No need to man those radio telescopes any more.

• Like 2

When you get to land on this comet what options of finding something interesting are there?

a) Nothing but ice and a core of mineral rich rock.

B) Ice jam packed with basic life forms and a core of mineral rich rock.

c) A core of mineral rich rock and a half empty can of coke.

Live streaming.

Should be landing at 11pm Thai time.

Very nice.... I want to watch that "harpoon landing". Imagine being on the wrong end of that thing. Two harpoons with barbs propelled by explosives. I wonder who designed that? Maybe they tested it, and the fuse did not ignite. Then the scientist runs to the Harpoon chute and starts kicking it....

Should of named the craft ..."The Moby Dick"... or something. Harpooning that monstrously huge whale of a rock for the ride of it's life.

Edited by slipperylobster

When you get to land on this comet what options of finding something interesting are there?

a) Nothing but ice and a core of mineral rich rock.

cool.png Ice jam packed with basic life forms and a core of mineral rich rock.

c) A core of mineral rich rock and a half empty can of coke.

Maybe Bender's ass from futurama.http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=KqJ4O2d8HdY

Edited by slipperylobster