Breaking a Contract

If an expat has a one-year contract with a Thai company along with a one-year work permit I am wondering if there would there be serious ramifications with Immigration if this expat felt he couldn't continue with his job (for whatever reason) and submitted a letter of resignation to his employer before the contract expired. I thought that maybe Immigration, before issuing another visa (non-immigrant or retirement visa) would want to know why the contract was broken and on what terms he left the company. My guess is that this particular company would not object too much to this expat's premature resignation.

If, after resigning, this expat returned his work permit and then went to Laos (or wherever) to apply for a new visa and returned to Thailand and was offered another job with a different company or he wanted to apply for a retirement visa, would he run into difficulties.

Immigration doesn't care.

On the day you stop working you must cancel both work permit at the labour office and your permisison to stay (if on an extension of stay base on your job) at immigration. At that time you could apply for an extra 7 days to leave the country or apply for new extension of stay but now based on retirement if you meet the requirements.