Thais rage over monk robe worn by Japanese band in Japan

webfact

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can only imagine what would happen if Hollywood made a movie about a Monk killer or rapist or even someone pretending to be a monk doing those things... Thais would go ape-shit, riots, bans, protests.

I wonder if they know that by making such a big deal out of this that they in fact put the band into the spotlight probably at a time when they needed free publicity...

edited for typos

Edited by thesetat2013

As we all know Thailand is the land of imitation as opposed to innovation hence perhaps if they (the Thais) were to look at the origin of ''The Buddha himself and the country perhaps they might realise they in reality have no right to comment on something they (the Thai's) have misappropriated.

Is not one of the precepts of Buddhism that one should not steal?whistling.gif

Buddhism is a nontheistic religion] that encompasses a variety of traditions, beliefs and practices largely based on teachings attributed to Siddhartha Gautama, who is commonly known as the Buddha, meaning "the awakened one". According to Buddhist tradition, the Buddha lived and taught in the eastern part of the Indian subcontinent sometime between the 6th and 4th centuries BCE

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhism

The usualnonsense post indicting all Thais in this, there is a small group who have been in the news off and on who have more bark for there actual numbers than they deserve these people have deemed themselves the guardians of Thai Buddhism.

Childish, hypocritical, self important, stupid, racist, xenophobic, ignorant, prone to rage for the slightest reason....the definition of thainess

thumbsup.gif Almost perfectdefinition... but a little mistake!

Childish, hypocritical, self important, stupid, racist, xenophobic, ignorant, prone to rage for the slightest reason....the (perfect) definition of thainess ThaiVisa every-single-day-Thai-bashing-members clap2.gif

I never watch Thai television, but do they have shows with characters like Dave Allen or Rowan Atkinson complete with dog collars, robes and miters? What about Father Ted or the Vicar of Dibley taking the piss out of Christianity? I don't see mobs of Christians complaining bitterly or rioting against cartoon publishers like some Muslims. I know there are laws here protecting "Buddhism" but surely the powers that be have better things to do than complain about the dress of a little known rock band in another country.

• Like 1

I never watch Thai television, but do they have shows with characters like Dave Allen or Rowan Atkinson complete with dog collars, robes and miters? What about Father Ted or the Vicar of Dibley taking the piss out of Christianity? I don't see mobs of Christians complaining bitterly or rioting against cartoon publishers like some Muslims. I know there are laws here protecting "Buddhism" but surely the powers that be have better things to do than complain about the dress of a little known rock band in another country.

probably because there aren't any Christians left in the UK.

Back in the 80's I used to be all warm and cuddly about Buddhism, believing everything I saw and read. Then the following were reported/seen:

1) High ranking monks playing the field at night time in various forms of military dress and the like.

2) Monks in video stores checking out the latest movies, in department stores viewing new watches?

3) Monks riding on the back of motor bikes? I thought money was a no no as a monk?

4) Mid 90's, one reverred monk Luang Por Khoon (excuse the spelling) taken to hospital when his Mercedes overturned - his Mercedes?!

5) Monks routinely talking or texting on IPhones - As a layman, I don't have an IPhone.

6) The photo of the monk on the plane with the high end gear.

If I were to give it more thought, I could probably find a few other things. Under the microscope, Thais likely offend other cultures in equal measures.

That said, one man's meat......

Yet, when Thais dress up as Nazis and Western countries complain, the Thais think that they're being over-sensitive.

Japan also did/does this. It is an imitation (homage?) to the band "X Japan". I saw alot of Nazi uniforms in the mid-90s. You still see them at the cos-play gatherings for X Japan.

Back in the 80's I used to be all warm and cuddly about Buddhism, believing everything I saw and read. Then the following were reported/seen:

1) High ranking monks playing the field at night time in various forms of military dress and the like.

2) Monks in video stores checking out the latest movies, in department stores viewing new watches?

3) Monks riding on the back of motor bikes? I thought money was a no no as a monk?

4) Mid 90's, one reverred monk Luang Por Khoon (excuse the spelling) taken to hospital when his Mercedes overturned - his Mercedes?!

5) Monks routinely talking or texting on IPhones - As a layman, I don't have an IPhone.

6) The photo of the monk on the plane with the high end gear.

If I were to give it more thought, I could probably find a few other things. Under the microscope, Thais likely offend other cultures in equal measures.

That said, one man's meat......

Your point 5) - using the term 'layman' about yourself would assume that these about whom you write are religious - they are, of course, not. Buddhism is not a religion, which requires a deity.

Buddha never claimed to be either immortal nor a god of any type.

• Like 2

Now, perhaps Thais know how Jews feel when they idolize Hitler or use the Hakenkreuz (Swastika).

Jews were not the only people who suffered in WW2.

Are you sure you want to go down that road? clap2.gif
Any road is open to travelers. It is not my place to question their destination.