78 Year old Brit escapes with his life during Crane Crash in North Pattaya

webfact

Cranes, cement trucks, huge coaches etc, do the drivers of these vehicles undergo specific training and licensing?

If the brakes 'failed' or not, criminal action should be taken.

I doubt they get the proper training on how to operate these vehicles,now here in the uk all bus and truck drivers have a CPC card,which training has been given.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cranes, cement trucks, huge coaches etc, do the drivers of these vehicles undergo specific training and licensing?

I doubt they get the proper training on how to operate these vehicles,now here in the uk all bus and truck drivers have a CPC card,which training has been given.

For information purposes only:

CPC Certificate of professional competance is held by the Transport manager or person running the fleet of vehicles, not the driver. Its the transport managers job to ensure an adequate maintenance routine is in place.

In the UK the driver will hold either a PSV ( Public service vehicle ) or LGV ( Large goods vehicle ) licence. This licence then shows the driver has undergone the correct training, and passed the test for driving the vehicles in whichever class of licence he holds.

NamKAheng, on 14 Nov 2014 - 08:17, said:

Someone explain to me what is about brake failure when you got air brake that lock themselves when there is a brake failure?

Translated, it means "driver failure, and he will not accept responsibility." It also means, a failure of the police to investigate the cause. Imagine what would happen in the UK, Australia, Us, Europe etc, it this type of accident happened, first the driver would be drug and alcohol tested then the vehicle would under go a thorough mechanical inspection, by qualified mechanics.

Wow........Buddha really takes care everybody or was there a guardian angel on a holiday in Pattaya at The time?

Lucky karmic escape, he got rid of some bad karma this way.

Just once I'd like to see a witness/cop not pointing at a crime/accident scene

If he didn't point, how would you know where the problem/damage was? He could have been driving around with a street pylon anchored in his caved in roof before the accident -- TiT. But with his pointing, now we know..... whistling.gif

Exactly...he could be a street pylon delivery driver for all we know.

Need the pointing thing happening to clarify the situation.

For information purposes only:

CPC Certificate of professional competance is held by the Transport manager or person running the fleet of vehicles, not the driver. Its the transport managers job to ensure an adequate maintenance routine is in place.

In the UK the driver will hold either a PSV ( Public service vehicle ) or LGV ( Large goods vehicle ) licence. This licence then shows the driver has undergone the correct training, and passed the test for driving the vehicles in whichever class of licence he holds.

and then gets pissed or stoned and drives.

• Like 1

Just once I'd like to see a witness/cop not pointing at a crime/accident scene

Irritations in my life can sometimes be lessened by acceptance and understanding that the small things don't really matter.

Another option that I have is hitting the power button or getting news from another source.

I did day just once.

I was there just after it happened the police were with the driver,I must admit he did not look drunk or drugged, as it was a new crane lorry I would have thought that the company have full insurance one he'll of a pile up quese for miles

If it was break failure...

Given their seems to be little damage to the crane that would not be difficult to confirm.

If it was break failure then what about the standard of maintenance? more importantly to the crane itself???

Fortunately damage is to things that can be replaced, by a shear miracle this incident did not involve multiple fatalities.

The oldest excuse in the book is the brakes failed - possible until proven otherwise.

Mainly, poor judgement is the problem.

Taught from the day they could walk or set a foot in the car.... the brakes have no face to lose....

On the positive side, it appears the driver did NOT run away this time. I'm amazed that companies have no knowledge of who is driving their vehicles when the driver caused an accident and ran away.... and apparently get away with it.

It was a crane wasn't it? Hard to run away when you are 150ft up in the air on a long arm! :D

All down to lack of vehicle maintenance i reckon,ie,brake failure,more than likely a maintenance issue,maintenance is an ugly word in Thailand.

Maybe a brake issue. Maybe brakes worked fine but crane operator was driving to fast.

Not sure why a guy would choose to avoid the parked motorbikes and opt for traffic with vehicles and occupants present. Sounds more like lost control due and panicked.

• Like 1

All down to lack of vehicle maintenance i reckon,ie,brake failure,more than likely a maintenance issue,maintenance is an ugly word in Thailand.

Usually, it's shoddy engineers, you don't pay them enough or love them enough sometimes you get shoddy work.

I believe the reason you never see a foreigner working as a mechanic here is because the thai immigration forbid it, its one of those listed occupations .

I have atleast two friends who are qualified UK mechanics and both have told me this, .

It seems insane to me why for something so important like road safety they don't allow it , even to train young thais, but yet again, there is no logical explanation.

I had many occassion to question the wiring that has been done on my girlfriends suzuki jeep below the bonnet and in many cases its a guessing game, by the enept thai mechanic, ill not go into detail, cause i could'nt be bothered.

small mercy

Wrong you mean they were speeding or falling asleep, the number of claims in LOS for brake failure is astronomical. All B S.