Five busy roads with worst traffic jams in Bangkok

webfact

Five busy roads with worst traffic jams in Bangkok

14-11-2557-11-53-22-wpcf_728x411.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Transport Ministry has revealed five busiest roads in the capital that have the worst traffic jams with traffic flow speed of 24.34 kilometres an hour.

The five busiest roads are;

1. Ngamwongwan road from Yaek Kaelai to Yaek Kaset.
2. Sri Ayutthaya road from Yaek Makkasan to Yaek Sisao Theves.
3. Sukhumvit road from Yaek Bang Na to Yaek Ploenjit.
4. Phaholyothin road from Yaek Laksi to Yaek Lardprao.
5. Ratchadapisek road from Yaek Ratchavibha to Yaek Rama 9.

The ministry said average traffic flow speed from Yaek Kaelai to Yaek Kaset has dropped from 36.95 kms/hr in 2011 to 24.34 kms/hr in 2013.

It said main reasons for the traffic jams on this section of the road were gridlocks where continuous queues of vehicles block an entire network of intersecting roads, construction of subway and sky train projects, railway crossings, and toll gates of the expressway system where vehicles queuing up to pay toll.

It also said there are 34 railway crossings which cause traffic jams in the capital. They included Yommaraj, Sri Ayutthaya, Ratchavithi, Nakhon Chaisri, Sethsiri, Ranong 1, Pradipat, Prachanives, Ngamwongwan, Chaengwattana, Talad Son Mueang Kao, Air Force HQ.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/five-busy-roads-worst-traffic-jams-bangkok/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-11-14

Quote: It said main reasons for the traffic jams on this section of the road were gridlocks where continuous queues of vehicles block an entire network of intersecting roads, construction of subway and sky train projects, railway crossings, and toll gates of the expressway system where vehicles queuing up to pay toll.

No, the main reason is that too many vehicles try to use the roads because there is no adequate public transport, there are parking spaces for them at businesses, shopping centres and entertainment places (not so in central London, Paris, Berlin, Sydney, etc, etc), and people want to gain face by driving around.

Solve those and traffic jams will ease rapidly. In other words, there's no hope.

Wow. If I could drive more than 24 kms/hr on any of the mentioned roads I would be very happy. I think that they calculate the speed over a 24 hour period, because in the daytime the traffic moves at max 5 kms/hr.

This is very accurate. From my condo close to Thonglor to Terminal 21, I sometimes average 5-6 km/h. If the temperature dropped a few degrees, I would be happy to walk!

They have also forgotten to mention another important factor which promotes gridlocked roads and that is the RTP traffic controls at major intersections where police officers determine the time phasing of the red and green lights. It would be interesting to know how they determine the allocation of time phasing as the only thing that makes sense is that certain roads are designated as priority roads for one reason or another on instruction from the faceless ones. It has to be remembered that influential people should not be burdened with traffic jams.

• Like 2

This is not news. It is the laws of physics and maths all at once engaged in a battle against the HUB of malignant schemes. These arterial gridlocks remind me of what must be daily happening in their minds: "continuous queues of (blank thoughts) block an entire network of intersecting (synapses)"

• Like 1

I suffered for 6 years the daily atrocities of public transportation in Krungthep until I purchased a scooter. My life have changed for ever.

Each trip that took me 1.5-2 hours is done now in 20 minutes. Suddenly I have few more free hours in the day.

I can do more tasks and enjoy the life in this giant city.

• Like 1

I suffered for 6 years the daily atrocities of public transportation in Krungthep until I purchased a scooter. My life have changed for ever.

Each trip that took me 1.5-2 hours is done now in 20 minutes. Suddenly I have few more free hours in the day.

I can do more tasks and enjoy the life in this giant city.

Until you become a statistic in the yearly traffic deaths, on the second most deadly roads in the world. I really hope you survive.

• Like 1

no thai is allowed, but what the hell is a YAEK ?

It is the Romanization of the Thai word for sub-soi as far as I know. And it is acceptable here in this context.

(someone with far better Thai language than me can correct this!)

Almost correct, and I can understand why you thought this.

Yaek, means junction, you can have a see yaek, four way junction or a sam yaek, three way junction.

You often see the word yaek on the signposts on smaller sub sois, eg Yaek 17, it doesnt mean sub soi 17, it means junction 17.

Edit.

using the above as an example,

4. Phaholyothin road from Yaek Laksi to Yaek Lardprao.

This would mean from Laksi junction to Lat Prao junction.

Edited by rgs2001uk
  • Like 1

Wow. If I could drive more than 24 kms/hr on any of the mentioned roads I would be very happy. I think that they calculate the speed over a 24 hour period, because in the daytime the traffic moves at max 5 kms/hr.

Thai have different calculation !! it means 24 hrs per km !!

Whenever I've been on those roads, the biggest problem seems to be people parking in the left hand lane because they can't be bothered to go off the busy road and walk a bit.

Then the bus comes and has to double park so the next lane closes off as well.

Not to mention the taxi drivers who don't care where they park. They will just stop where they are without warning if they think a fare is walking towards them. No consideration at all for other road users.

And the police who keep the light red for 10 minutes to 20 minutes at a time... then makes the light green for only 10 seconds. It should be a computer or timer that switches the lights, not a police man in a booth that cannot see how far back he has caused the line of traffic to be. Sometimes the street traffic becomes so bad it's like a parking lot.

Edited by Tony Pepperoni