Doing a CELTA in Thailand, what do I need to expect?

Great White

What hours in the class per day?!

How many hours would I prob have to do at night?!

Any books etc, I should/could buy beforehand, or will need to get?!

Will my weekends be busy studying?!

Any general info would be appreciated.

Upon completion do I need to wait for any official documents to arrive, or could I begin work immediately?

Once I find work, should I be prepared to struggle on lower wages for a while, or will I get a decent wage (20-30k baht/month)?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Great White

You're on site basically from 9 to 5 if I recall correctly.

It was recommended to me that I read Jim Scrivener's Learning Teaching. It's a decent enough text and more or less a textbook for the course.

I didn't find the program as intensive as I was told, but sure you'll be doing work a bit most nights. I still managed to enjoy my weekends during the program. You'll have some take home assignments, as well as lesson plans you'll be doing.

You get a paper from (I'm assuming you're doing) IH the day you finish, and you'll get one in the mail a bit later that's all snazzy and official.

Please don't call 20k - 30k a decent wage ><

You're on site basically from 9 to 5 if I recall correctly.

It was recommended to me that I read Jim Scrivener's Learning Teaching. It's a decent enough text and more or less a textbook for the course.

I didn't find the program as intensive as I was told, but sure you'll be doing work a bit most nights. I still managed to enjoy my weekends during the program. You'll have some take home assignments, as well as lesson plans you'll be doing.

You get a paper from (I'm assuming you're doing) IH the day you finish, and you'll get one in the mail a bit later that's all snazzy and official.

Please don't call 20k - 30k a decent wage ><

Good info, thanks for taking the time to reply.

Ok, livable wage then.

I did my CELTA in the UK and personally-speaking, found it very challenging but nonetheless very worthwhile and rewarding. It is intense and I found that for the four weeks I was on the course, most of my spare time was taken up doing the assignments and lesson plans. Some drop out because it is a demanding course. Listen to what your instructor requires of you, implement the feedback from your observed teaching practice and you will be fine.

• Like 1

9-12 Classes

1-3 Observed teaching practice (if you're not teaching, you'll be observing)

3-5 Peer feedback

Evenings Lesson planning for the next day & written assignments

I did mine in Bangkok and found time to go out at the weekends and have fun. The peer feedback sessions can be difficult as your fellow trainees are encouraged to be very direct and honest!

Hi Great White. I did my CELTA at IH Bangkok (near Sala Daeng BTS station) about 3.5 years ago. It was one of the best 4 weeks of my life! But also incredibly stressful.

What hours in the class per day?!

We were in there from 8:30-5 Mon-Fri. However when you've got the essays to do, you'll probably want to get in early to use the reference books at the school, or you'll be working late at home each night.

How many hours would I prob have to do at night?!

During the CELTA, as I'd had no previous teaching experience, I was (as were other new teachers) taking hours to plan one, 40-minute lesson. So I'd say one or two hours a night.

Any books etc, I should/could buy beforehand, or will need to get?!

My school recommended the Michael Swan grammar book. Try and get hold of it second-hand because since my actual CELTA I think I've only used it once or twice. If you're already in Bangkok there's a few second-hand book shops you could try.

Will my weekends be busy studying?!

Mine weren't. Maybe an hour or two finishing essays and doing lesson prep but it really wasn't necessary for it to take over my life, like some people on my course said it did. I'm not sure if some of it was just put on though. I managed to get a Pass B too. The grades go: Pass, Pass B, and Pass A is the best grade.

Any general info would be appreciated.

The best thing about CELTA for me, as a teacher with zero previous experience, was the actual lesson time. When people do an 80-hour online TEFL, they're never actually showing they can teach, if they haven't before. Our students were so, so lovely and made my time there unforgettable. However, be prepared to have a really wide-variety of fellow CELTA-takers. Some will be professor-level, seasoned professionals who know-it-all and challenge the course leaders at any possible moment. Others will be turning up late, and/or drunk, meaning course leaders have to waste time disciplining them. One student on our course decided to plan a lesson around 'Was Osama Bin Laden a sinner or a saint', and proceeded to split the class into one half being Islamic students, and the other half non-Islamic. He was thrown off the course.

Before doing the CELTA I had next-to-zero grammar knowledge. During the course the tutors introduce grammar points, by means of showing you how to teach them - but I would try and brush up on basic grammar terminology before you do the course if you are like I was pre-CELTA.

Upon completion do I need to wait for any official documents to arrive, or could I begin work immediately?

The CELTA certificate took quite a while to get to me - about 2 months I think. Most schools need the certificate to process your work permit - but I guess you can just talk to the school then. Try and get an additional character reference from your course tutor too.

Once I find work, should I be prepared to struggle on lower wages for a while, or will I get a decent wage (20-30k baht/month)?

It's rare to find a job in BKK (if that's where you are) for less than 30k a month - especially if you have a CELTA and the necessary degree needed for a work permit. Most jobs I saw were about 33-40k, and had bonuses for if you turned up to all lessons, your students all passed the course etc. If you're wanting to work in a private language school, you'll be working Saturdays and Sundays. If you're working in Government schools, be prepared to need to be in there early, maybe 7:30am, 8am - and be prepared to have to do gate duty.

Good luck with it! Like I say, the CELTA was one of the best things I've ever done. JB.

• Like 2

It's a 9-5 day.

A couple of hours work most nights. Weekends are a bit freer.

Pretty intense. Your energy will be drained.

Someone will cry, have a panic attack, walk out, fail, start to go blind, etc etc

You will gain a lot.

The Scriver book someone else mentioned is good, but not really essential to the course. They give you a lot of materials. I didn't use the book.

You get an email within a few days with temporary certificate and report. The email they give you will suffice to get a job.

It takes 1-2 months for your real certificate from Cambridge. (mine arrived yesterday - it took 6 weeks)

I got a job within a couple of weeks (32k) up in Isaan (private school). They didn't care about the CELTA (in fact, they didn't know what it was)

30k-40k is the norm for government schools all over the country (private schools in quieter Isaan too). Nobody really gets less than 30k. Don't dare accept less otherwise we are all gonna have to accept less. We have to regulate our salaries ourselves.

Enjoy! BTW, where are you doing it?

Edited by ChrisB87

OP, remember that with the CELTA (unlike TEFL courses) you are expected to understand English grammar and punctuation before you start. Based upon limited evidence, I suggest that is something you may care to brush up on. Swan's Practical English Usage and Parrot's Grammar for English Language Teachers are both highly recommended. You should consider getting and reading through both before you start the course.

• Like 2

I did my CELTA at IH in London, very intensive, practical and full on but i highly recommend for anyone wanting to teach English as a second language.

It covers all the basics you need to know to survive in the classroom without unnecessary stress - the rest is up to you!

I put my social life on hold for the four seeks and saw the benefit in my B grade thumbsup.gif

OP, remember that with the CELTA (unlike TEFL courses) you are expected to understand English grammar and punctuation before you start. Based upon limited evidence, I suggest that is something you may care to brush up on. Swan's Practical English Usage and Parrot's Grammar for English Language Teachers are both highly recommended. You should consider getting and reading through both before you start the course.

I think most CELTA courses send you a pre-course test which you have to complete as part of the application process.

Great information on this thread! I agree that Scriver, Parrot and Swan and useful (but not essential) reading.

9-12 Classes

1-3 Observed teaching practice (if you're not teaching, you'll be observing)

3-5 Peer feedback

Evenings Lesson planning for the next day & written assignments

I did mine in Bangkok and found time to go out at the weekends and have fun. The peer feedback sessions can be difficult as your fellow trainees are encouraged to be very direct and honest!

Not too bad then.

I have done other teaching courses (in scuba diving), so it will not be completely foreign.

Not too fussed on having fun, as plenty of time to do that afterwards.

Thanks.

We were in there from 8:30-5 Mon-Fri.

My school recommended the Michael Swan grammar book.

Maybe an hour or two finishing essays and doing lesson prep but it really wasn't necessary for it to take over my life

I would try and brush up on basic grammar terminology before you do the course if you are like I was pre-CELTA.

especially if you have a CELTA and the necessary degree needed for a work permit.

Just dl a couple of Michael Swan books now, so thanks for that.

Sounds ok overall, not too hectic.

I do not have a degree. Can I get a work permit without one, or will I have to do runs every month or two?

Thanks for all the info.

Don't dare accept less otherwise we are all gonna have to accept less. We have to regulate our salaries ourselves.

Good point, thanks.

I think Chang Mai will be the go.

I have been to BKK before, but not CM.

Should be a good experience.

Yep, I will check out some books and youtube vids on the subject.

Thanks to all for answering so far.

Don't dare accept less otherwise we are all gonna have to accept less. We have to regulate our salaries ourselves.

Good point, thanks.

I think Chang Mai will be the go.

I have been to BKK before, but not CM.

Should be a good experience.

If I were you, I'd prefer to look for an online BA degree that's accepted to get you a teacher's license.

And CM is full of expats/backpackers/ etc... willing to work for a very low salary.Too many people are making too many problems. ( Phil Collins)

And plenty of Non native English speakers, who sign up for 18 K, or even less.

I do have a TESOL, TEFL and a sat the TOEIC test with a high score, which is mandatory for non native English speakers.

None of the four schools ever wanted to see my TESOL, or TEFL certificates. It means not too much here.

In theory it all sounds good wherever you're looking for, but reality always differs.

Most school coordinators don't even know the meaning of a CELTA. And I see it as a waste of money. Look what Khurusapha ( Teacher's Council of Thailand) really wants that you can teach here and go for that.

Institutions that offer all sorts of courses do it for a special purpose. They want to make money and might not always tell you the truth.

Best of luck from lower northeast. thumbsup.gif

Edited by lostinisaan

We were in there from 8:30-5 Mon-Fri.

My school recommended the Michael Swan grammar book.

Maybe an hour or two finishing essays and doing lesson prep but it really wasn't necessary for it to take over my life

I would try and brush up on basic grammar terminology before you do the course if you are like I was pre-CELTA.

especially if you have a CELTA and the necessary degree needed for a work permit.

Just dl a couple of Michael Swan books now, so thanks for that.

Sounds ok overall, not too hectic.

I do not have a degree. Can I get a work permit without one, or will I have to do runs every month or two?

Thanks for all the info.

Seeing as you don't have a degree, it's either working illegally and doing visa runs or working in a language school and losing your weekends. If those options sound bad, don't do the CELTA and go get your degree, preferably in education, they like those here.

Edited by EASYDOGG

Seeing as you don't have a degree, it's either working illegally and doing visa runs or working in a language school and losing your weekends. If those options sound bad, don't do the CELTA and go get your degree, preferably in education, they like those here.

A degree is not a requirement for a work permit.

It's perfectly possible to work for a language school and not work weekends. (And anyway, what's wrong with working weekends?)

Whilst the time, effort and cost associated with getting a B.Ed. might be a good idea for someone planning a lifetime of teaching (and relative poverty) in Thailand, for someone just coming here to live for a few years it's a waste of time.

It's perfectly possible to work for a language school and not work weekends. (And anyway, what's wrong with working weekends?)

Whilst the time, effort and cost associated with getting a B.Ed. might be a good idea for someone planning a lifetime of teaching (and relative poverty) in Thailand, for someone just coming here to live for a few years it's a waste of time.

Thank you for the advice.

I dont mind working weekends.

Keeps you busy at least.

It was either do this or go and work as a scuba diving dive master.

The DM position would pay about 15,000 baht a month, and you would be working every day, sometimes all day.

And it would only be for 6 months of the year.

Thank you for the advice.

I dont mind working weekends.

Keeps you busy at least.

It was either do this or go and work as a scuba diving dive master.

The DM position would pay about 15,000 baht a month, and you would be working every day, sometimes all day.

And it would only be for 6 months of the year.

And as a DM you would almost certainly be working illegally.