How many times have you changed your "glasses"?

willyumiii

I believe that most expats, myself included, arrive in Thailand wearing the proverbial " rose colored glasses".

Everything is wonderful, beautiful, happy and enchanted.

In time the rose glasses are replaced with "dark glasses".

We realize all is not what it first appears to be.

Poverty, corruption, false smiles, racism, discrimination, and scams all start to wear on you.

Eventually and hopefully, the glasses are replaced by a good strong prescription pair that allow us to see the entire picture clearly.

The balance of the good and the bad and all the gray shades in between.

It took me a few years to get to this point.

I was just wondering how long it takes the average expat to get through this cycle.

To the long, long term expats:

What kind of eye wear does the future hold for us?post-147745-0-39757000-1416012735_thumb.

Edited by willyumiii
  • Like 1

OP, I'm still wearing the same glasses after 7 years being here.

I knew, even before, where I'm coming to, had no surprises while being here and hope I will never have to change my glasses in the future.

I'm quite happy and content with them.

Now we know why you keep trying to milk the "bulls"

• Like 2

Thailand immediately grows on you.

Fantastic place for a vacation as long as you don't rent a jet ski.

After a few years the noise levels got on my nerves....This is speaking of Pattaya & BKK.

Motorcycles, street vendors, soi dogs, neighbors's yapping mutts.

Driving changes from a novelty into a nightmare.

Try to do business & see brown envelopes passed around to get anything done.

Try to get construction done & some toothless retard with hopeless tools shows up.

Vendors set themselves up EVERYWHERE.

There's ALWAYS something sitting 1 foot/.3 meters off Sukhumvit Rd from Chang Mai to Trat.

Trucks/lorries are WAY overloaded & WAY under powered = you are passing/overtaking them every half a mile on your way to Isaan.

Bars pad bills - Fact.

Thai's always win in Thailand.

Cops make up reasons to extract 200 - 500 baht from you.

Those are clear glasses.

==============

First arrival & rose colored glasses....

DROP-Dead gorgeous women everywhere.

Those glasses filled with Chang and changed at regular intervals make life and vision extremely confusing. Blurred vision occurs as if my spectacles have steamed up, followed by some clarity that enables larger & not so beautiful women appear extremely attractive.

I hear what you are saying Willy, but would have to ask how many other places have you lived?

I was sent to Burmuda (Ireland Island) and my glasses changed very quickly there.

I was sent to Hong Kong, and again the glasses were changed.

Even when I was sent to the Falkland Islands for 9 months, the glasses changed, but in the reverse direction, ended up leaving there with rose tints!

Since living in Thailand for the last decade and a half, they haven't changed much because I knew what to expect.

What I am trying to say is that, it really doesn't matter where you are in this world, or where you plan to settle, nothing lasts forever. Once the initial 'honeymoon' period is over, reality sinks in.

It is the ones who don't go through this change, don't accept reality, who are going to have problems, IMHO...........................wink.png

I have gone from the rose colored stopover glasses, to the rose colored backpacker glasses, to the rose colored tourist glasses, to the rose colored dating glasses, to the rose colored marriage glasses, to the rose colored semi-retired glasses.

And I can't wait for the rose colored "full time retired/ cremate me here" glasses.

Actually, I can wait...a long time.

I get my eyes tested every year, they can tell a lot of things from your eyes not just how bad your eyesight is. or not. Cheap Sun glasses do more harm than good. only change my reading glasses two times in fifteen years no need to.

Edited by Thongkorn