Badrabbit

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Badrabbit,

Have owned two Versys here previously but moved to the V-Strom as soon as it became available. Both are very strong and capable bikes but for me the Strom is so much better.

The new Versys is another face lift with the chassis & running gear remaining pretty much the same with some added dampening as far as I am aware and although test rides at dealerships still seem to be a no no in Thailand it is possible to rent a V-Strom & Versys in some places which would give you a good comparison. There are also a few comparison reviews on youtube which are worth a watch.

Regarding luggage, OEM may not always the best option and there is plenty of choice available here so you can tailor it to your own requirements. I am using Givi Treker Outback and it works brilliantly for me and is well priced for what you get too.

All of these manufacturers have or are improving dealership coverage through out Thailand but servicing etc might be something you also wish consider.

Good luck and keep us posted.

all those bikes you listed have pannier/top box options.

v strom is a good choice for touring and also for some off roading.

but if i am in market for such a bike, i go for nc750x with dual clutch tranny just because the simplicity, smoothness and ease of ride it offers and also the compartment at front which you can fit a full face helmet.

I think the honda have app 10hp less than the kawa and suzi but is more gentle on fuel (read: boring).

In below test the v-strom is the clear winner followed by the kawa and the honda is the looser, but that is only one testers opinion, other may come to another conclusion.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/234/16968/Motorcycle-Article/2013-Suzuki-V-Strom-650-ABS-Comparison.aspx

I also looking for a cheap all round bike and I have the versys in my sights as you can sometimes pick up a used one very cheap.

The new versys 2015 is wastly improved, bigger brakes,bigger fuel tank, bigger fairing and more leg room so maybe worth waiting for.

alanr1610 seems very happy with his v-strom and he have owned the versys before so it's a hard choice between the two.

Since you've limited it to those three bikes, here's what I think.

I am a huge Honda fan...but the NC7*0 just doesn't do it. Limited power and the DCT would take a lot of the joy away from riding. I don't say it's a bad system and recognise that for some it is an answer to their needs, but since you are also considering bikes with proper transmissions I'd assume that you are not necessarily needing a slush box. I'd also question the engine braking as often in the mountains I rely on shifting to a lower gear rather than riding my brakes downhill.

The V-Strom is an interesting bike. Obviously v-twin engine, so you get that sound a vibe. There are reports that it is not as well put together as the Versys, but take that as you want. There is the dealer support issue; should you have any issues, where will you take it and how long will you have to wait for supplies (this actually applies to the NC7*0 also)? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and if you think about it, when you're seated on the bike it really doesn't matter what it looks like from other angles unless you are vain.

The Versys, as mentioned, is getting a facelift as well as a change to the running gear. Every province has a Kawasaki dealer AFAIK meaning that any issues can be taken care of swiftly. There are loads of aftermarket parts for the Versys, but I am unsure as to whether prior generation parts will be able to be used on the newest model.

You really need to get on each bike and decide which is comfortable for you. I can tell you from experience that being able to get both feet down flat on terra firma is highly recommended; especially if the bike is loaded down with panniers, top box and tank bag. Putting on those items and then utilising them changes the bike's dynamics. There are seat reshapings and lowering dog bones, but what does that do?

As a point of reference I've only done 6,000 km in the last 2.5 months because recently I've gotten too busy to really get out. My Honda CB500X has been loaded down for maybe 1/2 of those km. And by that I mean usually a full top box, full panniers, a tank bag, a backpack on top of the tank bag and two pillions equaling about 140kg. Reckon I had the poor little beastie going with some 200kg and it never faltered. Easily maintained 120+ km/hr. Went up through the mountains of Phetchabun/Nan. So I can speak with a little experience about what is required to tour.

• Like 1

I did all my touring on a honda Pcx... For Thailand roads it's perfect if you don't mind not having a "real" bike smile.png www.justridingaround.com

I just viseted you web page, very cool man.

My hat off for you Sir.

I also have a pcx but I never go further away than max 30 km from home but I did some touring on a honda sonic back in the early 2000's. Phuket- Koh Samui and back, iron butt, he-he.

I did all my touring on a honda Pcx... For Thailand roads it's perfect if you don't mind not having a "real" bike smile.png www.justridingaround.com

I just viseted you web page, very cool man.

My hat off for you Sir.

I also have a pcx but I never go further away than max 30 km from home but I did some touring on a honda sonic back in the early 2000's. Phuket- Koh Samui and back, iron butt, he-he.

thanks...mostly from Malaysia on that site, but keep meaning to add more thai trips I have done...samui to kao sok tomorrow so will take some pics :)

I am considering the Honda CTX700. Its still an import from Japan so it's pricey. Has the dual clutch system (which you can downshift with the paddle for braking) and ABS and a really comfortable riding position. The Honda hard panniers look great. Just introduced to Thailand (Big Wing only) a few months ago. Reviews in Japan and the US are very positive.

I am considering the Honda CTX700. Its still an import from Japan so it's pricey. Has the dual clutch system (which you can downshift with the paddle for braking) and ABS and a really comfortable riding position. The Honda hard panniers look great. Just introduced to Thailand (Big Wing only) a few months ago. Reviews in Japan and the US are very positive.

Why not the new NC750X ? should be better for touring than the CTX700.

I have a friend that sold his Z1000 and got a CB500X for touring and more relaxed riding.

I am probably about to upset many Versys riders but the Kawasaki Versys remains a compromised bike. The chassis is to short as it was designed for the early 650 Ninja and er6n. As much as Kawasaki have done to make a success of the Versys this will always compromise rider comfort for all day touring and dual sport ability. Considering the sales success of the Versys, I am very surprised and disappointed that they did not give it a dedicated chassis on the 2015 version.

Regarding fancy gear boxes etc, manual all the way for me. Dual sport bikes were designed to give the rider maximum flexibility and fun in all types of situations and terrain. Be tough enough, comfortable enough and sporty enough to allow one bike to fit all your needs. The Honda power and configuration point it more towards an urban commuter rather than a dual sport IMO and at this price I wonder why the BMW GS800 is not on your list?

Another consideration which should be taken into account is where they are built or assembled which can make and does make a difference. So the comment "their are reports that the V-Strom is not put together as well as the Versys" did make me chuckle. Having had both bikes here and many Kawasaki and Suzuki's over the years that is generally not the case now or never has been in my experience. Saying that, I think we all know and will agree that just about all Japanese company generated products will always be good and more often great.

• Like 1

I am probably about to upset many Versys riders but the Kawasaki Versys remains a compromised bike. The chassis is to short as it was designed for the early 650 Ninja and er6n. As much as Kawasaki have done to make a success of the Versys this will always compromise rider comfort for all day touring and dual sport ability. Considering the sales success of the Versys, I am very surprised and disappointed that they did not give it a dedicated chassis on the 2015 version.

Regarding fancy gear boxes etc, manual all the way for me. Dual sport bikes were designed to give the rider maximum flexibility and fun in all types of situations and terrain. Be tough enough, comfortable enough and sporty enough to allow one bike to fit all your needs. The Honda power and configuration point it more towards an urban commuter rather than a dual sport IMO and at this price I wonder why the BMW GS800 is not on your list?

Another consideration which should be taken into account is where they are built or assembled which can make and does make a difference. So the comment "their are reports that the V-Strom is not put together as well as the Versys" did make me chuckle. Having had both bikes here and many Kawasaki and Suzuki's over the years that is generally not the case now or never has been in my experience. Saying that, I think we all know and will agree that just about all Japanese company generated products will always be good and more often great.

Not my opinion...

Just maybe you`ll be swayed by build quality: Kawasaki`s overall is better than Suzuki`s so a Versys might be less prone to corrosion and possibly be more reliable, but it`s not as if Japanese bikes are unreliable anyway, and with so much that`s proven in the V-Strom and Suzuki moving on from its previous corrosion issues (and V-Stroms could be very vulnerable to winter salt), this isn`t a powerful persuasion.

Not my opinion...

Just maybe you`ll be swayed by build quality: Kawasaki`s overall is better than Suzuki`s so a Versys might be less prone to corrosion and possibly be more reliable, but it`s not as if Japanese bikes are unreliable anyway, and with so much that`s proven in the V-Strom and Suzuki moving on from its previous corrosion issues (and V-Stroms could be very vulnerable to winter salt), this isn`t a powerful persuasion.

I picked out 3 bikes for consideration and now another has been mentioned in the BMW, I won't be rushing into a decision!! as for the Gold wing its way out of my budget!

Check out the UK versys forum, heaps of info there. Many members there seems to really love their bikes and many goes all over EU on them.

http://www.versys.co.uk/index.php/board,1.0.html?PHPSESSID=94ad9a272935149d900efd06b7614352

Oh the new Yam FJ09 is sweet man, very good looking bike but as OP said, better stay within the budget.

op, if you also want to go off road, v strom is the best choice and only choice here and no brainer. it is also made in japan so sure better build quality than versys.

but if you will ride mostly on the asphalt, honda nc750 is a great choice.

i think there are some misconceptions about hondas dual clutch transmission. this is not a scooter cvt auto. you can switch to manual mode and change the gears by yourself via two switches with your left thumb and index finger. also it allows some engine braking. with gobs of torque coming way below than others, it is also not boring and offers great flexibility. but yes, it is not a revvy engine or screamer but you have a z1000 for this anyway. nc750 x is also a lot sturdy and reliable plus smooth.

prefer cb500 x than versys.

BMW GS 800 is over my budget, the 3 bikes I chose are within my intended budget!

As I've shared before, I've ridden the Versys extensively in Thailand (rentals over a 2 plus year period, week long tours on one a couple of times), and a short 50 km ride here in Canada, and I agree with the reviewers in the link provided. The Versys is a better bike for the reasons they've listed, and a big item for me is I am a lifetime dirt bike rider, and the Versys is the natural fit for my style. On a twisty road I'm confident I'd be faster on the Versys easily by a small margin.

Last year I bought a V-Strom new at a deep discount as it was priced to move onto the new model year, and I made the right choice. For the longer mileage in northern Canada the strom's engine is more pleasant to spend the day with a more enjoyable character. At the end of a full days riding on the Versys I was sick of the engine, and to buy one vibration damping foot pegs and bar mounts would be a best. End of the day with the Strom and I could find myself blipping the throttle, something I wouldn't want to do after a full day in the saddle with the Versys. This winter I'm planning on buying new handlebar mounts for my Strom which will give me the more upright ridding position of the Versys. So I think the Versys is a neat bike, the one of the 2 I prefer ridding on gravel with, but anywhere I was given the choice I would choose the Suzuki.

• Like 2