New requirements for ED-Visa extensions in Phuket

Thai immigration officials today are always trying to find new ways to prevent farangs from spending their own money in Thailand!

In this case it sounds like all they're trying to do is ensure that people here on an ED visa actually . . . er, study a bit. Though I can understand annoyance over how often they seem to change the rules.

As far as threatening Thailand with the prospect of fewer farangs coming here, well, good luck. The future of tourism in this country ain't Westerners.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing has changed at my school in Pattaya. I would do the 4 days a week if necessary but that is massive amount of work for learning a language already feel like I'm studying nonstop with just 2 days.

2 2 hour days is standard workload for a single university course.

But I guess that depends on the amount of homework the instructor gives out.

It could be a massive workload, your words, but isn't that why you chose to come to Thailand and learn Thai originally??

I'm pretty sure you could learn Thai in many other countries if that is your fervent desire.

For a non working student interested in learning the thai language attending class (no homework) 2 hours a day difficult.

Two hours school out of 16 waking hours for a non working Thai language student is enough time absorb the material.

Unless attendance is required, enough people will pay for the doubled price and never attend. Less students but double the revenue.

Even the big schools that do offer classes probably don't have enough teachers or classrooms for their existing students.

I would assume many students are on Ed Visa enrolled at a school near Asoke. But only 3 small classrooms, no classes weekends or Tuesday or Thursday night.

Capacity less than 400 students a week.

Are there that few visa students enrolled at one of the major language schools in a prime location in the center of Bangkok?

Doubling the hours will not deter as many students as requiring 75% attendance.

This might possibly kill 80% of the visa students

I couldn't even change the time of my private classes a few months ago because my school is at full capacity and they didn't have spare teachers to change my hours. How they're going to do so many more hours is beyond me. Simply not gonna happen.

Majority of students do go to every class, I have missed a few due to sickness but not been skiving.

There's a few schools in Rawaii known for taking your 30k and then letting you never show up again, they're in favor with the Tiger Muay Thai workers but my school is more legit.

I couldn't even change the time of my private classes a few months ago because my school is at full capacity and they didn't have spare teachers to change my hours. How they're going to do so many more hours is beyond me. Simply not gonna happen.

Majority of students do go to every class, I have missed a few due to sickness but not been skiving.

There's a few schools in Rawaii known for taking your 30k and then letting you never show up again, they're in favor with the Tiger Muay Thai workers but my school is more legit.

Sounds about the same as my school, chances are we may even be at the same school in Phuket from what wrote. Pretty much my class everyone turns up every week and only have 1-2 id say who are abusing which is a small minority compared to the rest of the people who make up my class.

This hasn't been thought through because of the impact on the schools, as said mine so busy it will need new teachers for extra classes along with new premises to accommodate classes.

The other impact is its not one set of classes these school run..... they run Thai for year 1, year 2 year 3 in their school maybe more along with english classes for thai/none english speakers and many other languages. How they going to run these classes with out the free class room space.......... Just proves how badly thought through and bad the idea of the change in hours is.

Edited by Markphuket

I'm finishing up my second (and final) year on the ED visa. Actually, I've already finished the 120 hours of one-to-one study that was enough to get the ED visa for the second year. My visa is good until the end of this year, but my last lesson was in mid-October. Sadly, my excellent tutor saw the writing on the wall for Thai language schools, quit, and got a job and visa in USA, where she is now. So I increased my study schedule with her, from 4 hours a week, to 6, so I could study with her the full 120 hours, before she quit teaching.

I thought that would be the end of it, but no.... I can't do much traveling around in Thailand in my free time now because the school owner told me that I must come to his school once a week, until my visa expires in December, to simply sign my name on my page in his register of students.

It seems that "they" are checking student attendance, and if I fail to sign in each week, this could endanger what remains of my time on the ED visa.

I don't mind doing this, if it means that there is actually an ongoing campaign to check up on class attendance of ED visa students in Thai schools.

This is what they should be doing, checking to see who attends class, and who doesn't. But this involves effort. Enforcement of the rules is not a Thai strong point. So they make up new rules instead, confusing and burdening the students, some of whom actually want to learn Thai.

During my first year on the ED visa, in a classroom situation at a Walen school, I came to dislike when certain students came to class.

Usually, they stayed away, so the few of us in those classes who wanted to learn Thai could get lots of chances to participate, answer (and even sometimes ASK) questions, speak Thai, and stay awake. But on the rare occasions when the non-interested "students" would waltz into class, normally very late during the first hour, they would be a major disruption during the second hour of class.

Things would slow down to a crawl. Not good.

So I would be happy to see these fake students discouraged from scamming the ED visa; but changing the required hours of classroom study, which will surely cause the costs and inconveniences to escalate, is not the way to do it.

• Like 2

So can ThaiVisa/Walen school clarify minimum requirements to extend the permission to stay for those who are NOT attending a language school or course? For example, diving school, university, bhuddism/religious study, animal study, kite surfing, etc.

What about those with multiple entry non-ed visas?

I didn't even think they'd let you have an ED-Visa for diving / non-academic studies?!

this is going to make an ED visa (with extensions) an expensive option in Bangkok and Phuket now

Cant the immigration just charge everyone that want be in Thailand for a year just 500 euro or 20 000 bath fee, and end this teatre with this study VISA? as it is now,, is some greedy people that make money on this .

Let Goverment get this money , and let people that can afford to stay, and spend their moneym be left in peace !!!

• Like 2

Cant the immigration just charge everyone that want be in Thailand for a year just 500 euro or 20 000 bath fee, and end this teatre with this study VISA? as it is now,, is some greedy people that make money on this .

Let Goverment get this money , and let people that can afford to stay, and spend their moneym be left in peace !!!

They charge Bt 100,000 a year to "be let in peace". If you do not want to spend that or go to school it cost like 15 - 25,000 a year to stay on tourist visa.

10 hours a week isn't that much .. I did 25 a week and after 3 or 4 months at a reputable school I could read and write.

If you haven't picked up enough language ability after a year to run rings around an immigration officer then its time to think if learning a foreign language is for you.

Have to agree 100%. If you have lived in Thailand on an Ed visa, you should be able to converse on a basic level with a Thai person. 2 hours 4 days a week in Bangkok does not seem excessive. Why will the visa cost rise from 25000 - 80000? Tuition costs will stay the same, won't they?

25,000 baht sounds a lot for an education visa & lessons! You should be able to get one for about 17,000 baht! Start looking around and put 17,000 on the table " take it or leave it " business is business these days in a competitive world......

I'm paying a lot more than 25,000 baht. Guess I must be paying a fortune then. facepalm.gifwhistling.gif Seriously, anyone going to one of those 17,000 baht schools are probably just going there for the visa & not serious about studying. How would there be any good teachers in those cheap schools???

• Like 1

So inflexible.

Why they let not buy the students a lesson bundle per year.

For example: 52 weeks x 10 hours = 520 hours per year.

If a student wants to study more intensively he can do that.

Besides, the student could have a schoolbook and the school will stamp or confirms the visited hours.

Easy.

Besides, the students can then travel inside the country (and spend money!!!), so as better to learn and practise the language.

Sometimes I have the feeling this whole visa changes scare people away from visit Thailand!

Your proposal is actually a good one - as long as the student puts in a total of 10 hours per week over a one year period - it shouldn't matter how it is done.

This is crazy, I have been here for 1 year on an ED visa, go to my classes and actually try to learn thai.

I'm under 50, I work online. I make a lot of money and bring a lot of money into Thailand. Recently spent 250,000 baht on hospital bills for my partner, have a car, pay rent on a home, I spend over 100,000 baht a month in Thailand and I love it here. But what I cant put up with is the uncertainty of never knowing if I'm going to have to pack my bags and leave with a months notice, I have dogs, a car etc. I'd be screwed if i was given one week to up and leave.

Have also been told that we must now read and write, and that when I extend my visa in December I will be expected to know the alphabet, apparently my schooll was informed last week! Previously the first year was speaking only, so I have a couple weeks to learn the whole alphabet (good luck) even though when I extended 9 months ago immigration asked the school to bring the curriculum and were fully aware that year 1 was speaking only!!

So what are my options? Pay 100,000+ baht a year in school fees now to cover the extra hours, possibly pay 3800 baht a month for my partner and i if we have to keep extending? (my friend was given one month extensions every time with the "under consideration" stamp on it)

Paying over 200,000 baht a year to stay in Thailand is crazy, I'd rather go elsewhere but I don't know what options I have right now.

Going to research Vietnam and other places, but for work purposes I need a very reliable and fast internet connection, a bit of security would be a bonus. A visa stamp saying 12 months would be nice.

I know technically i'm "abusing" the ED visa since I work, but I do nothing but spend money here and I'm not doing something a Thai could do (it's very niche), and it's money that would not be in the Thai economy if I went home to Europe and worked, and it's another empty house on my Soi.

Having me here adds at least 1.5 million baht to the thai economy every year, but it's getting to the point where considering the cost and uncertainty I'm not sure it's worth the effort of staying here.

Anyone else know a good place in SE Asia where it's a bit more welcoming in regards to working etc?

You have every right to be upset but you can thank the 1000's of guys sitting in bars and beaches not attending classes and working cash in hand.

They have stuffed it for the real students.

10 hours a week isn't that much .. I did 25 a week and after 3 or 4 months at a reputable school I could read and write.

If you haven't picked up enough language ability after a year to run rings around an immigration officer then its time to think if learning a foreign language is for you.

Everyone learns in a different way, some need more time than others. I personally need a lot of practice time to really remember it.

It doesnt mean Im not suited to learning a foreign language. It just means you and I are different.

If we only did the things we are suited to, we will never leave our comfort zone and grow.

This is crazy, I have been here for 1 year on an ED visa, go to my classes and actually try to learn thai.

I'm under 50, I work online. I make a lot of money and bring a lot of money into Thailand. Recently spent 250,000 baht on hospital bills for my partner, have a car, pay rent on a home, I spend over 100,000 baht a month in Thailand and I love it here. But what I cant put up with is the uncertainty of never knowing if I'm going to have to pack my bags and leave with a months notice, I have dogs, a car etc. I'd be screwed if i was given one week to up and leave.

Have also been told that we must now read and write, and that when I extend my visa in December I will be expected to know the alphabet, apparently my schooll was informed last week! Previously the first year was speaking only, so I have a couple weeks to learn the whole alphabet (good luck) even though when I extended 9 months ago immigration asked the school to bring the curriculum and were fully aware that year 1 was speaking only!!

So what are my options? Pay 100,000+ baht a year in school fees now to cover the extra hours, possibly pay 3800 baht a month for my partner and i if we have to keep extending? (my friend was given one month extensions every time with the "under consideration" stamp on it)

Paying over 200,000 baht a year to stay in Thailand is crazy, I'd rather go elsewhere but I don't know what options I have right now.

Going to research Vietnam and other places, but for work purposes I need a very reliable and fast internet connection, a bit of security would be a bonus. A visa stamp saying 12 months would be nice.

I know technically i'm "abusing" the ED visa since I work, but I do nothing but spend money here and I'm not doing something a Thai could do (it's very niche), and it's money that would not be in the Thai economy if I went home to Europe and worked, and it's another empty house on my Soi.

Having me here adds at least 1.5 million baht to the thai economy every year, but it's getting to the point where considering the cost and uncertainty I'm not sure it's worth the effort of staying here.

Anyone else know a good place in SE Asia where it's a bit more welcoming in regards to working etc?

You have every right to be upset but you can thank the 1000's of guys sitting in bars and beaches not attending classes and working cash in hand.

They have stuffed it for the real students.

The problem with guys working cash in hand is that they arent paying income tax. If you are working online and have no work permit you wont be either.

Tycoon, you are obviouly putting more into the Thai economy than most Thai workers even without paying income tax but from the Thai point of view (and probably that of most immigration bureaucracies the world over) yours is a shining example of behaviour they want to stop. Regardless of whether you actually study or not.

But I understand your dilemna - I can relate and I sympathise enormously. Im trying to work out how to learn Thai, earn decent money (without bloody teaching) and stay on myself.

is it possible to do the 8hours spread over 2 days instead of 4?

I don't believe so.

The purpose of the 4 days a week, 2 hours a day is that you can't work during daytime at least. You are in Thailand to study after all, not for tourism or other things.

• Like 1

The schools might not suffer much if they can just have the students join other classes.

Before the students went to 1 class 4 hours a week. Now students would need to join 2 classes- each 4 hours a week.

For non working student this wouldn't be difficult. It will mainly effect people trying to work and earn money whole on student visa.

Some schools run continuous classes with no starting point(like the forum sponsor). New students can join a class on Chapter 7 of the book.

It would depend on the percentage of students attending class. The lower the percentage attending class then the less impact on the school.

If Thailand made the Thai Elite visa payable on a yearly basis then it might be more popular

But for people already committed to living in Thailand and under 50 it would be the easiest.

The thai elite visa gives money to the government instead of language schools.

People may be upset about loosing a cheap long term visa, but the new rules are tailored to actual students.

Don't understand why you don't get the Elite visa if you make a lot money. No need to write a lot here, just contact them, pay 500k and you are sorted for the next 5 years.

'Elite Visa'laugh.png

Just take a couple of days holiday every three months. You can afford to.

BTW It doesn't matter what visa you're on, you trip up to any government/police shop and they'll still call you a Tourist, (except for 'Elite Card' holders, they're called 'mugs' biggrin.png ) So anyone believing they are in any way considered superior because of their visa status are deluding themselves. Just make sure all your Thai bank accounts are already opened thumbsup.gif

someone is promoting the THAI ELITE CARD business... only 300 baht per day and no hastle of taking any classes ...

why not get rid of ED as a valid visa ?

Why not get rid of all the types of visas and make it if you're a foreigner, you must get the Elite Card or you can't live in Thailand? Sounds even better, right? facepalm.gifwhistling.gif

Edited by bbi1

Don't understand why you don't get the Elite visa if you make a lot money. No need to write a lot here, just contact them, pay 500k and you are sorted for the next 5 years.

'Elite Visa'laugh.png

Just take a couple of days holiday every three months. You can afford to.

BTW It doesn't matter what visa you're on, you trip up to any government/police shop and they'll still call you a Tourist, (except for 'Elite Card' holders, they're called 'mugs' biggrin.png ) So anyone believing they are in any way considered superior because of their visa status are deluding themselves. Just make sure all your Thai bank accounts are already opened thumbsup.gif

attitudes always change when i mention my wife is thai and i better give her a call (lol). many many times waved on with a "warning" (for a made up potential shake down offense). also get much better treatment at banks, hospitals, govt offices, etc when they see the non-o

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Have to agree 100%. If you have lived in Thailand on an Ed visa, you should be able to converse on a basic level with a Thai person. 2 hours 4 days a week in Bangkok does not seem excessive. Why will the visa cost rise from 25000 - 80000? Tuition costs will stay the same, won't they?

4x the hours for the same price?

I would assume that the courses are based on hours of tuition and not on a specific period of time?

This is something that I haven't seen discussed yet (maybe missed it) but would consider it to be important to those who are using the Ed system to stay in Thailand as a primary reason with learning a the language as secondary.

So it looks like you will be getting the same hours in a shorter period of time.

For what its worth, it also looks like there has been no communication between Education and Immigration on this issue. For the new rules to be with immediate effect, someone hasn't been doing their homework.........................wink.png

Too many people on too many different contracts with different schools at the moment. I could understand it coming into effect for new students.

You can save money on extensions........................wink.png

Extensions within the next 3 months would not have time to retroactively fulfill the new requirements.

Students that only show up every 3 months for their extension paperwork may get suprised.

Extensions three months from now can start enforcing the new rules.

I haven't heard much if new policies about marking attendance. In the past, the large language school my friend attends always marked perfect attendance.

Has this changed recently?

It will be interesting to see how schools respond.

I suspect that most the people with a visa from a language school that their primary interest is not learning Thai. Maybe a secondary or tertiary interest

Eight to ten hours a week would be only for serious students.

Maybe can buy 6 months of lessons.

After 6 months in a classroom and practicing outside of class might have good results.

After 6 months then more formal learning might be better or private lessons.

Just hysteria to learn something. or just easier time for staying in LOS.

Mate, for some people is enough for some is not ...

It depends what you want from your life...?

In some age you need it just to feel better staying in Thailand for some time but it depends what you want to do and how old are you...

Ti be honest for me was just enough 9 hours a week and with help of my girlfriend it was interesting to learn Thai.

But now if someone pushing me to just spend most of my time in travelling to and from school and not having my private time in my age ....then I give up with ED visa.

I do not need to feel like criminal or something to be chased by authorities for my own money spent in LOS.

Simply all this "witch hunting" comes to the point that LOS in not worth it.

Simply I will pay longest possible visa and feel free.coffee1.gif

Enough is enough....

I was truly interested in studying this language but not under preasure of the Thai "system".

LOS is starting to shrink very quickly but world is still big enough to choose a different place...

Even my Thai girlfriend is having same opinion..

To many scare tactics just for ordinary people who value freedomcoffee1.gif

• Like 1

ED is/was in fact a loophole wasn't it. C'mon admit it, be a man/woman and stop those dry tears. Now immi busted the bubble.

Hail on me now I guess.

Well seeing as one Thai girl I know from a certain language school (which I'm not going to mention on here) has been told along with many others nationwide that they could soon be losing their jobs and security due to these changes and is completely in a mess about it. It's effect will hit Thais as well as Foreigners; but don't let that get in the way of your joy at other people's misfortune. Edited by Hawkman
  • Like 1