Buying land/property: does my Thai wife need my permision?

I have been married 5 years and have children in Thailand, I was looking at buying (this question also applies to selling) house/land ect.

I have ben told that as my wife has my surname, she needs to have my consent to do any of these transactions.

Has anyone came accross this, or does anyone have any inforamtion on it's credibility?

The land department may require you to sign a document stating the purchase money is hers .

You'll have to sign that the money isn't your's. She can sell the land anytime and in the case of divorce you cannot claim this money, because you signed for it is not your money.

Fatfather

The land department may require you to sign a document stating the purchase money is hers .

You'll have to sign that the money isn't your's. She can sell the land anytime and in the case of divorce you cannot claim this money, because you signed for it is not your money.

Fatfather

Not true, in the case of a divorce the family assets will be divided equally between husband and wife by the court. One could argue that it really isn't equal since you "may have" provided the funds for the purchase, but the court only cares about what currently is at the time of the divorce, not how it got that way

• Like 2

Fatfather

Been there. Done that. The divorce in 2007 delayed my retirement 7 years. Don't do it.

If your wife has a source of income of her own it is best - She owns it - fine. Don't buy into a mansion and mass land. Get a place to live. If later it all comes down walk away and save the hassle. It is just stuff. A home in Thailand is not an investment - that is just sales hype. Stay long enough and it is cheaper then rent - get some back - good for you. If you lose some - you lose some - you still have your birthday.

Jungle Jim, I actually met her through her family, my best mate in UK married her aunty, it was her aunty that got us together.

I'm still working full time (HM Forces) until next year, I already work for a civvie company and plan to continue with them full time after I leave the forces, so it will be 2 or 3 yeras before I comit anything, I was actually thinking of buying a condo instead of a house, then if it all goes pear shaped...she can go back home and I still have a place to live, minus a wad of cash to her...lol A bit differant for me than others I've met, her family are all ok, her father is a grafter and I've put a few thousand rubber plants on his land, so in a few years time they'll be sell suficient (including my wife), even if I don't get a share of the rubber I'll be able to manage on my own if need be.

And...No, No car yet.