Bill Cosby stays mum on sexual assault allegations

Lite Beer

Bill Cosby stays mum on rape allegations
By Brian Stelter

For now, it seems, Bill Cosby's public response to renewed allegations of sexual assault is complete and utter silence.

In an interview broadcast by NPR Saturday, Cosby did not utter one word when repeatedly asked about the charges against him.

NPR host Scott Simon filled the airtime by saying Cosby was just "shaking his head no."
Allegations that Cosby committed sexual assault date back to the mid-2000s, when several women came forward to describe intimidation, abuse and rape.

Cosby, the iconic star of the classic TV sitcom "The Cosby Show," has never been charged with a crime, and his attorneys have steadfastly denied the accusations in the past.

Read More: http://money.cnn.com/2014/11/15/media/bill-cosby-rape-allegations/index.html?hpt=us_c2

--CNN 2014-11-15

There is no way to know if he did it, or not, but I don't think he has ever been charged and celebrities attract parasites. Unless someone comes forward with positive proof, IMO he should get the benefit of the doubt.

The 'benefit of the doubt'? Am I hearing right? He shouldn't be treated any differently than anyone else. You calling potential rape or sexual assault victims 'parasites' kind of tells me what kind of person you are and what thought process you have. He should be investigated like any other crime, sex crime or otherwise. Period.

• Like 2

You miss the point. He has never been charged or convicted. Unless someone comes forth with conclusive evidence, he should be given the benefit of the doubt - like anyone else should be. Have you ever heard of the presumption of innocence?

I've heard of it and am also familiar with quite a traditional idea called "justice"; have you heard of this?

Rape or sexual assault is a traumatic experience for the victim and, because of it, a lot of the victims will suffer in silence not willing to come forward. These are the people that you called 'parasites' in your first post. You see I think that you come from a misogynist school of thought where women are kind of thought of as inferior people who were probably asking to be raped anyway and should just shut up and go away.

• Like 1

You miss the point. He has never been charged or convicted. Unless someone comes forth with conclusive evidence, he should be given the benefit of the doubt - like anyone else should be. Have you ever heard of the presumption of innocence?

I've heard of it and am also familiar with quite a traditional idea called "justice"; have you heard of this?

You seem a lot more concerned with flaming me, than anything Bill Cosby may, or may not, have done. I did not call rape victims parasites. I was referring to women that lie about it for financial gain who are often attracted to celebrities.

A conservative black man that tells it like it is, is a target for Hollywood, its kool aid drinkers, and most of black America. A sad truth, guilty or not.

I don't know. I'm from the UK and we've had a few celebrities convicted recently of sex crimes. They're all white by the way. Doesn't really make sense why Hollywood would suddenly target an old man with these allegations, so that argument didn't really hold weight.

OJ Simpson? Presumption of innocence?

Who decides what conclusive evidence is?

• Like 1

You seem a lot more concerned with flaming me, than anything Bill Cosby may, or may not, have done. I did not call rape victims parasites. I was referring to women that lie about it for financial gain who are often attracted to celebrities.

Not interested in 'flaming' at all, not my style. Just interested in allegations being investigated and if necessary heard in court in a fair trial. With no prejudice on either side.

A conservative black man that tells it like it is, is a target for Hollywood, its kool aid drinkers, and most of black America. A sad truth, guilty or not.

I don't know. I'm from the UK and we've had a few celebrities convicted recently of sex crimes. They're all white by the way. Doesn't really make sense why Hollywood would suddenly target an old man with these allegations, so that argument didn't really hold weight.

The UK and it's white celebrities convicted of sex crimes has nothing to do with this.

No has said he's guilty or innocent. The people making the allegations should be heard though and it should not be swept under the carpet (as these things so often are) as women trying to make a quick buck. If he's got nothing to hide then he's got nothing to worry about, has he?

The UK and it's white celebrities convicted of sex crimes has nothing to do with this.

Your point is that its because of his race that he's being targeted by (supposedly) white Hollywood? I'm saying that its nothing to do with race. Doesn't matter where it is, the issue is still the same.

I dated a girl who worked at CBS in LA in the '70s, when Cosby had a variety show taped there. She told me he was constantly hitting on her and many other women who worked there. She was terrified of him, and said he was "very aggressive".

Just another data point.

• Like 1

Did you have black celebrities in the 1970's when these sexual assaults were going on?

I don't recall seeing any on Monty Python or Dr Who episodes?

I remember always hearing about "roadies" back in the 70's. Apparently, young women used to just throw themselves at rockstar musicians. I have heard the same type of thing goes on with professional athletes today.

I wonder if any of these women hoped for a bit more attention than to be used for the sex they offered and tossed out the next morning? Can't imagine it happening myself...but just for the sake of argument, if it did happen and they were angry or embarrassed, do you wonder if a few of them might try and retaliate by making claims of sexual assault?

I certainly don't think they would myself, but I have heard it suggested by some guys--no doubt some mysogynist <delete>. I wonder if thats why some people seem to think that concept of"presumed innocent until proven guilty" is a good thing for a fair and just society?

Your point is that its because of his race that he's being targeted by (supposedly) white Hollywood? I'm saying that its nothing to do with race. Doesn't matter where it is, the issue is still the same.

It has everything to do with race, and it's not only "white" Hollywood.

I dated a girl who worked at CBS in LA in the '70s, when Cosby had a variety show taped there. She told me he was constantly hitting on her and many other women who worked there. She was terrified of him, and said he was "very aggressive".

Just another data point.

Well if a friend of a friend said it...then it must be true.

• Like 1

Did you have black celebrities in the 1970's when these sexual assaults were going on?

I remember always hearing about "roadies" back in the 70's. Apparently, young women used to just throw themselves at rockstar musicians. I have heard the same type of thing goes on with professional athletes today.

I wonder if any of these women hoped for a bit more attention than to be used for the sex they offered and tossed out the next morning? Can't imagine it happening myself...but just for the sake of argument, if it did happen and they were angry or embarrassed, do you wonder if a few of them might try and retaliate by making claims of sexual assault?

I certainly don't think they would myself, but I have heard it suggested by some guys--no doubt some mysogynist . I wonder if thats why some people seem to think that concept of"presumed innocent until proven guilty" is a good thing for a fair and just society?

And you know what? The people languishing in prison now said the same thing. Things like "women threw themselves at us", "we didn't ask for birth certificates" and the classic "it was so long ago". So long ago, so let's forget it happened shall we? Let me be clear; in terms of rape and sexual assault, for the victims and the perpetrators race doesn't come into it. Anyone can be guilty of it and be a victim of it.

I certainly don't think they would myself, but I have heard it suggested by some guys--no doubt some mysogynist . I wonder if thats why some people seem to think that concept of"presumed innocent until proven guilty" is a good thing for a fair and just society?

And you know what? The people languishing in prison now said the same thing. Things like "women threw themselves at us", "we didn't ask for birth certificates" and the classic "it was so long ago". So long ago, so let's forget it happened shall we? Let me be clear; in terms of rape and sexual assault, for the victims and the perpetrators race doesn't come into it. Anyone can be guilty of it and be a victim of it.

No has said he's guilty or innocent. The people making the allegations should be heard though and it should not be swept under the carpet (as these things so often are) as women trying to make a quick buck. If he's got nothing to hide then he's got nothing to worry about, has he?

As far as I know, Bill Cosby holds no influence over the LA Police Department.

Can you suggest a reason why investigators would be motivated to sweep allegations of sexual assaults under the rug as you suggest happens quite frequently? I seem to recall many rapists convicted of rape over the past 50 years so how does that fit your claim?

Thanks for clarifying.

Can you suggest a reason why investigators would be motivated to sweep allegations of sexual assaults under the rug as you suggest happens quite frequently? I seem to recall many rapists convicted of rape over the past 50 years so how does that fit your claim?

Thanks for clarifying.

Who's talking about investigators? I'm talking about society as a whole and right now you're holding a pretty big broom lifting the carpet yourself.

If Bill Crosby hasn't raped anyone or committed any sexual assault then I'm sure he can sleep soundly at night assured that nothing will ever come of it.

Thanks for clarifying.

Who's talking about investigators? I'm talking about society as a whole and right now you're holding a pretty big broom lifting the carpet yourself.

Wait.

Now you are suggesting I am sweeping something under the rug?

What exactly am I supposed to be sweeping under the rug?

No alleged victim of sexual assault has approached me with a complaint.

And even if they did, unless it had just occurred and they were in immediate danger, the only action I would legally be allowed to take would be to urge them to file a complaint with the proper Law Enforcement agency.

I am beginning to think maybe you are a bit of a nutter.

Edited by ClutchClark
  • Like 1