Is Preventive Maintenance a Dirty Word in Thailand.

DavoTheGun

Preventive Maintenance must be foreign to Thais, I think.

Example:

Last Year watched my Brother in Law pump water out of Channel into Rice Field, the Tube Pump, not really a Pump, a Propeller on a long shaft in a tube, it has two grease caps on it.

The pump was making a big racket and he was poring water onto the top bearing wher he has belts going to his Kuboteeeer Tractor, I said why don’t you try putting some grease in the caps and it should be a lot better and quieter, The Blank Stare, I doubt the pump has ever seen grease, in fact one of the caps was gone. I went and got new Caps and tin of grease and showed him what to do, my wife said , “He Knows What to Do” anyway a month or so later, Pump Stuffed Shaft got a whip up and bent the shaft, all Kaput, I bought new pump for him on the understanding he take care of it, and the others who use it, “Not Happened”

Example 2 His Kuboteeeer Tractor had the death rattles 6 Months ago, bearings shot,I suspect never serviced in 15 Years! I said to them. Both ,Sister in Law and He, it needs an overhaul, before it is to late and it stuffs up when you need it most, I will pay for it if you do it now, did not happen, it disintegrated yesterday, totalled, now looking to me to buy new Kuboteeeer. I said no way .you had the chance months ago, Wife not happy, I will not mention the Honda that has just had chain and sprockets replaced at 15000K, all of this is common in our village, are they Stupid, Lazy, Ignorant or what, I think it gets back to the fact that they have never been occupied by a Western Power and have not Learned, think they know all. I am not Thai bashing, I have Married one, who is my life.

• Like 1

I do regular maintenance on my vehicle as the owners manual says in Toyota .

But as to what u are saying some things seem to go over there head ,

I stopped along time ago trying to explane to any Thai about preventative maintenance

I am always working around my place from lawn maintenance fish fountains , drive way cleaning painting things as need

My place is an investment like other things.

As an example when I am done with my tools I clean them before putting them

Do know we're u are coming from I see it on the farm when I go there the locals dont seem to understand

I have noticed the first problem encountered with any maintance is to get them to read the manual that is received with the mechinal device when purchased just to see what needs to be done. . In many cases it might be due to the fact they cannot read. I have watched highschool graduates struggle to read the local newspaper.

To keep track of the hours a device has been used after routine maintence the hour meter is routinely ignored and it seems that they do not want any person nor anything to tell what/when to do anything. I have watched them even dismiss oil/filter change during warrenty period for which there would have been no charge by dealer. They may not know that you have to add fluid to the battery and often time do not know how the overflow system on the vehicle works. Finally, kilometer per liter of fuel use seems to never be considered as a measure of tune up need, rotate tires, check inflation etc.

I had a farm tractor driver tell me that wheel weights were not avaliable in Thailand to reduce tire slippage. I mentioned that salt water could be used instead and heard him tell his friends later and their response ''farang baa''

Edited by slapout

"Preventative maintenance" is actually 2 dirty words. :P

Welcome to the new world. We want new, shiny, brightest and latest widgets. And we throw it away once it gets spoilt through lack of care, becomes unfashionable or obsolete.

There is no inclination to find out how to prolong the useful life of the widget, nor to investigate what went wrong in case repairs are required. Just chuck it out and buy a new one.

It's not just Thailand.

Edited by doggie888888

I am continually amazed by the lack of preventative maintenance that goes on here, or in more general terms, just plain old taking care of things.

Example 1: I brought my wife a decent set of Chicago Cutlery knives and the block to store them in. Within 30 minutes of unboxing the set, she had the tip of the paring knife bent at a 90-degree angle, using it to pry something. She refuses to clean the knives after use, and will not put them back in the block when finished with them.

Example 2: On returning home from a work trip, I discovered two wrenches missing from my toolbox...not the cheap crap sold here, Craftsman tools from USA. In discussion with the wife, I found that she bad let our nephew use my tools. That led to an explanation from me that they are not hers to loan out, and he should be more respectful of the property of others. Her response kept coming back to ”I cannot help?” Knowing that it is a no-win argument, I now keep my tools locked up. She can use something out of the box only if I unlock it for her. This lets her off the hook of having to ”help”, as I am the bad guy who keeps the tools locked up.I also replaced the two missing wrenches with exact replacements, and made a point of showing her the receipt.

For so many people in this country that really do not have much, one would think that they would take better care of things, especially large-ticket items.

Thailand Bad.

Stars and Stripes Good.

BTW ... why didn't you simply ask the nephew to return the borrowed tools?

• Like 1

No ... not foreign.

You need to show him how to grease the log shaft.

But, point taken ... it does seem to be an uphill battle ... facepalm.gif

dirty David-you start talking again about greasing the lo(n)g shaft...already beer #5 or do we really need to be concernedclap2.gif

sorry David forgot to add that another reason for a burning ring is NOT to grease the shaft...

time to go home for today!

Thailand Bad.

Stars and Stripes Good.

I said neither of those things. I related two things that I have personally observed.

And yes, many of the hand tools sold here, particularly wrenches, are <deleted>.

I am *not* one of the Thai-bashers that seem to proliferate here, nor am I a Thai apologist.

I am also neither an apologist for nor a basher of my native country.

This particular topic *is* a shortcoming of the native culture here, for the most part. As with most things, there are exceptions.

BTW ... why didn't you simply ask the nephew to return the borrowed tools?

You are making the assumption that I did not ask him for the tools back.

He claims that he lost them. That might be the case, or he might be lying. He has little money, and I am not going to make much fuss about it...it would rather not have anything to do with him anyway.

• Like 2

Ignoring the long shaft posts, this is one of my favorite all time threads.

PM was one of my mantras when I was doing my thing back in the UK. As one poster states, the biggest single reason this function has all but disappeared from engineering is the cheapness of replacement; especially when combined with technological advances and tax write down gains.

I also think the general attitude here reflects the lack of any history of general engineering knowledge; or value placed on such knowledge; as in most Western cultures.

Thai Buddhism lends itself to encouraging a general view of disdain towards any modern, foreign perspectives on life.

When I was working in Phuket (Marine Electronics) I was expected to train Thai males in the art.

Waste of time, my knowledge, experience and skills were held in contempt by them.

One season was enough for me, and my place was taken by; you guessed it; another farang.

It's their country and they can run it any way they like.

In the village, I fix everything in my house; I have a massive tool kit.

My birds family look at me like I've got 3 heads when I pop round and fix their lights, fans, washing machine, gas burner, bicycles etc etc.

NOBODY gets their hands on ANY of my tools; and when I see something that I've fixed once get broken in the same way (I can tell, despite the lying denials); they can then throw it away and get another; or wait long enough for me to get them a new one----- if I feel like it.

• Like 2

It seems lime it sometimes but every morning I watch the taxi cab drivers on my Soi wash and detail their cabs to pristine condition--including the engine bay. There is a construction project on the Soi and the crane receives grease daily.

But there does appear to be a practice of "If it ain't broke then don't fix it".

I think its mostly economic. Why replace parts if they are still working. Following scheduled maintenance costs money.

I am continually amazed by the lack of preventative maintenance that goes on here, or in more general terms, just plain old taking care of things.

Example 1: I brought my wife a decent set of Chicago Cutlery knives and the block to store them in. Within 30 minutes of unboxing the set, she had the tip of the paring knife bent at a 90-degree angle, using it to pry something. She refuses to clean the knives after use, and will not put them back in the block when finished with them.

Example 2: On returning home from a work trip, I discovered two wrenches missing from my toolbox...not the cheap crap sold here, Craftsman tools from USA. In discussion with the wife, I found that she bad let our nephew use my tools. That led to an explanation from me that they are not hers to loan out, and he should be more respectful of the property of others. Her response kept coming back to I cannot help? Knowing that it is a no-win argument, I now keep my tools locked up. She can use something out of the box only if I unlock it for her. This lets her off the hook of having to help, as I am the bad guy who keeps the tools locked up.I also replaced the two missing wrenches with exact replacements, and made a point of showing her the receipt.

For so many people in this country that really do not have much, one would think that they would take better care of things, especially large-ticket items.

Sorry, I had to laugh at your examples.

I must have been lucky, my wife is a fanatic about taking care of everything. She may have very well written the axiom: "everything in its place and a place for everything".

She even folds the dirty clothes in the hamper while they are waiting to be washed.

I love that gal.

We had an argument because she even detailed the inside of the car and thats what I do for fun.

I finally had to lay down the law that the vehicles are one of the few rights that a man has.

Cheers

• Like 2

The car... How bout this one Why would I change the oil it still runs??? OOOOOKKKKKKKKKK.

Any of you guys ever spend time in the Arctic back in the 70's? Back when dogsleds were being replaced by snowmobiles.

Natives front yards were full of 1-2 year old snowmobiles with blown engines?

Why?

Never bothered checking oil levels, let alone replacing it.

I have heard it still occurs.

Well I have to agree that planned maintenance is and should be the way things are maintained mechanically. Having worked for most of my life in construction I have my own irritant. It was blokes who didn't look after their tools and then "borrowed mine" and either damaged or lost them.

I think that part of the problem is that many people can't afford to proper tools or workshop space to maintain things, so they have become accustomed to trying to fix things with whatever tools they can scrounge and quite often the workshop bench is the concrete road if they are lucky or more likely in the dirt. It's definitely not a problem isolated to Thailand though, I think the Thais are far more progressive in this regard than the Vietnamese.

We need to remember our home countries in the 1930's. Still a lot of farming and local travel done by horse/mule. a few farm implements were the first mechincal gizzmo the farmer was ever exposed to and it did not include a engine. If you could not keep your equipment running you were knickered and you learned quickly how to repair, service and maintain your equpment or you quite and found a job in town or work on a ranch. It took a couple decades for the existing farmers to feel comfortable with a fully mechcanized farm. Their children seemed to adapt quicker and saw the need for continuing education. Now this started about 75 years ago+-. outside Asia.

As some feel present Thaiiland was 40 to 50 year behind (but catching up fast) so maybe we need to cut them some slack on what we expect from them. Its just in the past couple decades they replaced the buffalo with their mechincal 2 wheeler and the majority of the population moved off the farm scene.

Edited by slapout
  • Like 1

My experience is that companies which have to deliver financial performance take maintenance seriously, while those where progression is politically driven do not.

Also, those companies that spend other people's money tend to favour big-value procurement, while those that spend their own concentrate on asset management

In Thailand, you see those extremes more than in other countries

SC

• Like 2

My stupid BIL, whose name is Suk, drives for a living. Lots of miles. He only replaces a tire when it blows out.

Sometimes this occurs when he's going very fast. Stupid Suk.

He never rotates the tires, never checks pressure, and only replaces the one that blows out, usually with money he borrows from a family member and never pays back.

• Like 1