Can I give my sister Thai citizenship?

I have Thai citizenship through my mum, but my sister does not want it.

But incase something happens to my mum, I like the door to be open for her in the future, just in case.

Can I sign Thai documents for her, or does it have to be my mum?

You cannot sign any documents "for her".

She has the citizenship already, but if she doesn't want any document from Thailand recognizing that, you can not do anything about it.

However in case your mother passes away, and she changes her mind, she can demonstrate citizenship through either the birth certificate and your mother documents, or a DNA test comparing to your.

She doesn't have Thai citizenship, Thai ancestry yes. She isn't interested in applying for a Thai birth certificate at the Thai embassy in London.

The Thai embassy wanted my mother there with me when I went to get my Thai birth certificate. Even if I did provide marriage certificates which has her fathers name on it, old Thai id etc

She doesn't have Thai citizenship, Thai ancestry yes. She isn't interested in applying for a Thai birth certificate at the Thai embassy in London.

What I'm trying to explain is that anybody that is Thai by birth "iure sanguinis", has citizenship already as natural right.

Only, she doesn't have (or want) a Thai birth certificate, ID card or passport, that is a different matter.

The Thai embassy wanted my mother there with me when I went to get my Thai birth certificate. Even if I did provide marriage certificates which has her fathers name on it, old Thai id etc

That is not worrying in itself, difficult cases like necessitating DNA proof, document search, etc are handled in Thailand anyway.

Edited by paz

Iure sangris?

As I'm her brother, wouldn't it make the process more easier for her? Along with cousins and aunties help?

Sorry, "iure (or jus) sanguinis". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jus_sanguinis

Normally citizenship is proved by parenthood documents. Not other documents or relatives.

Only when that is not possible (undocumented people, deceased parents) then Thailand allows use of DNA test from siblings.

Edited by paz

Iure sangris?

As I'm her brother, wouldn't it make the process more easier for her? Along with cousins and aunties help?

Sorry, "iure (or jus) sanguinis". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jus_sanguinis

Normally citizenship is proved by parenthood documents. Not other documents or relatives.

Only when that is not possible (undocumented people, deceased parents) then Thailand allows use of DNA test from siblings.

How does a DNA test help if my mother is dead? Who do they compare the DNA to?

Your sister has Thai nationality by way of birth, simply because her mother is Thai. The only issue now is that the Thai government is not aware of her birth and thus doesn't know she is a Thai national. With a Thai birth certificate the Thai government would be aware of her birth and her being a Thai national. The nationality itself she already has.

There is no problem with having two nationalities in case of a Thai-UK national. Both countries allow dual naitonality by way of birth without any problems.

Your sister should at least get her Thai birth certificate. There would be no legal issues from doing it. It is just proof that she is a Thai national that could be used later in life if she decided she wanted to use it.

I fault parents for not getting it done shortly after their child's birth. I have seen many posts of people having to jump through lots of hoops to get it sorted out later in life because it was not done by their parents.