Low Tech: Does Thailand Use Bayonet Lightbulb Fittings Or Screw.

lor

As the tittle says, I have a lot of long life bayonet type bulbs and was wandering if I should bring them with me when I move to Thailand in 2 weeks. Or will they be useless?

Chris

As the tittle says, I have a lot of long life bayonet type bulbs and was wandering if I should bring them with me when I move to Thailand in 2 weeks. Or will they be useless?

Chris

They have both types. My house has bayonet type in most of the ceiling lights and stand alone lamps have both bayonet and screw. Since I don't know where you are just to let you know they are 220VAC lamps.

If you have to change a socket it is an easy job and the sockets are readily available.

Having said that all of my long life lamps are screw, which is the most common for these bulbs.

Chris

Bayonet is available but less common than the standard Edison screw fitting :o

And we are 200V 50Hz

BUT

Low energy / long life lamps are so cheap I wonder if it's worth the hassle of lugging a bunch of them round the world. What, with the possible breakage issues, let alone what the x-ray scanners are going to think they are :D

Almost all are screw base in newer construction. Also most people use long life florescent in the Phillips Tornado type which only cost about 120-160 baht or so and have an operating range of 170-250v and life of 6,000 hours. A few years ago long life bulbs like this were in the 400 baht plus range but prices have come down a lot recently.

Thanks,

I am coming from UK where these bulbs cost about £7 each (490 baht)

Wont take up much space, just throw them in the container!

Going to live in Jontien.

Chris

Tywais - Cheers for fixing the typo - dyslexia lures ko.

Lor - If you're packing these in a shipping container be aware that any electrical items attract the customs chaps like bees round a honey pot. You may end up paying more in duty than new units would cost here :o

Lopburi 3 mentioned Philips brand which are probably the most expensive (and best) but I've bought many of the cheaper non brand name ones (screw in) that start from just 35 baht, and never had any problems with them...definitely not worth bringing them over.

Good luck with move.

Geoffphuket

Well the goods have left and the container ships in a few days!

No turning back now. Talking about electrical stuff and customs, my stuff is going as Thai family returning to Thailand so should be duty free. BUT wait till they see it! They said allowed two TV's so have a 50" Plasma and a 59" Rear Projection TV. Complete with surround sound Dolby system.

Two computers, one dedicated for displaying HD downloaded programmes on the Plasma, the other for me to play with.

Xbox for my daughter, Xbox360 for my son.

Projector and screen for when we want a cinema experiance.

So you see with all this and more the customs people will probably miss a few bulbs!

Chris

And we are 200V 50Hz

Just correcting your typo Crossy - 220V 50Hz :o

Also agree that there probably is no advantage to carry them over here and take up luggage space.

200 up to 220 Volt :D

Well the goods have left and the container ships in a few days!

No turning back now. Talking about electrical stuff and customs, my stuff is going as Thai family returning to Thailand so should be duty free. BUT wait till they see it! They said allowed two TV's so have a 50" Plasma and a 59" Rear Projection TV. Complete with surround sound Dolby system.

Two computers, one dedicated for displaying HD downloaded programmes on the Plasma, the other for me to play with.

Xbox for my daughter, Xbox360 for my son.

Projector and screen for when we want a cinema experiance.

So you see with all this and more the customs people will probably miss a few bulbs!

Chris

Hmmmm, I understand that containers occasionally 'fall' off ships :D

I hope you have receipts for all the kit and that you've owned it for a 'reasonable' time, otherwise it may get treated as 'new'.

Slightly bitter here, currently having difficulty with customs, they want to charge me 200% of declared value for some clothes and bits and bobs my parents shipped over.

EDIT. The stuff was shipped to my wife as 'returning Thai' and she'd been out of Thailand for 10 years 'till we returned :o

Edited by Crossy

I have found that the life of these lamps is not all it is cracked up to be.

Possibly because the voltage is more eratic in Thailand.

The latest ones seem to ramp up to full light over a mnute or so, so I suspect they have a protection circuit built in. This may not be the case with units from overseas.

Bring them anyway.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained