The Thai Art of 'Re-Gifting'

David48

This used to drive me nuts.

You take the extra effort buy buy an appropriate or special gift for a Thai Person.

It's received, smiles are exchanged and a few days later, out of sight, the gift is opened.

Sometimes, you never see that gift again.

Sometimes you see that another Family member uses it as their own.

Even better it's been 're-gifted' to them.

Classic cases of all three.

Bought a nice shirt for the gf's old man. Polo shirt, with a pocket, and Australia words on the pocket.

Never saw him wore it once. Quizzed the gf. She claims to know nothing. Six months later ... never saw it being worn.

Finally, the gf hints at what might have happened. He has maybe 're-gifted' to a friend ... whistling.gif

Not because he didn't like it, but he wanted good face by giving a 'foreign' gift.

Gave the same guy an electric razor. Never used it. Now, my fault there ... I reckon he'd shave maybe once a month ... not very hirsute.

He then (effectively) gives it to his daughter ... who gives it to her bf. A man that I don't particularly like.

Yeh, Yeh, I know ... 'David, you've given the gift ... it's not yours any more. The joy is in the giving'.

Well, I reckon the joy is also in the recipient using your gift.

Mate of mine gave his gf and nice purse, maybe $50-$60 bucks worth. She tots off to Thailand and gives it to her sister.

Why?

Well, her sister worked so that my mates gf could go to University ... it was pay-back time.

I like giving surprises ... but, more often then not now, I ask what I should buy for the person ... and then pray it's not re-gifted ... facepalm.gif

BTW ... if anyone here is a smaller size member I have an 'official copy' Liverpool shirt which my gf's friends gave me for Christmas last year ... happy to re-gift it ... laugh.png

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

News flash...if you don't see them use your gifts, the chances are they don't love your gifts. They either give the gifts away or put the gifts away. Next time, give them cash and see what will happen. With cash, it would save you time and energy try to find the perfect gifts; it would also give them chance to find their favor things they want/need.

• Like 1

News flash...if you don't see them use your gifts, the chances are they don't love your gifts. They either give the gifts away or put the gifts away. Next time, give them cash and see what will happen. With cash, it would save you time and energy try to find the perfect gifts; it would also give them chance to find their favor things they want/need.

Pretty obvious isn't it, if someone really likes your gift he/she will keep it and use it.......or...if there is another person they just happen to like more than you, they will give it to

that person to make them happy and feel good about it.

It's always nice if someone really likes your gift...........on the other hand, if they don't like it much, its better that you get a smile when you give it to them, instead of

they throw it back at you and say "why did you buy me this cr@p for?" lol.

In Thailand, I think, unless you can give something that is really hard for them to get, like something from abroad, it's best to just give some money so they can buy what they like.

• Like 1

as mentioned many times before by me: never ask WHY in Thailand....there a many miracles we never will get...

btw the new motorbike i gave my wife two years ago for her BD was highly appreciated,same as the i-phone last year...

may you should re-think about your gifts...

gold is always a winner!

• Like 2

My mother sent a couple gifts including an ornamental embroidered table cloth - a really beautiful and expensive one - to my in-laws. First I thought the gifts were all right, but then after we handed over the gifts it dawned on me that there is no where to put the table cloth. As they are typical Thai country side people, they don't have the kind of tables we do. And just to put a twist in the story, the table cloth ended up in my house.

Having observed other family members I learnt that the best gifts are money, gold, electrical appliances or things consumed daily, such as rice, fruit, washing powder etc.

this one is easy, many cant afford to buy nice things for others, they just dont have the spare cash, so when they get something given, they then have the opportunity to give, which makes them feel good, as it did you when you gave it.

The Thais around me are driving around in brand new cars and that's in Isarn. There are many rich Thais these days.

Buying a razor to an Asian guy (who shaves once a month)?

Good one Dave!

What's next ? Ice to Inuits? Sand to desert nomads?

Hint : If you make an effort to actually know the person, you might be able to offer decent gifts.

I disagree!

A razor for a man who shaves once a month is a useful gift.

This is Thailand!

How many millions of women here are constantly purchasing bras...

and never have anything to put into them....ever?

At least the man has a use for the razor once a month!

post-147745-0-08980700-1416319331_thumb.

we all do that. if someone gives me a shirt that i dont like, and i cant return it, if there is someone else that will like it and use it i will give it to them. wahts wrong with that? better that it shoudl sit in the closet for a year then i donate it to a charity? same same...

i long ago stopped giving personally oriented gifts. theya re all generic family oriented and everyone picks what they want. if its something super special, i speak with the person and explain the reasoning behind the gift but at the end of the day, if they still dont want or liek it.. its not my problem ... ill jsut notice and next time do somethng different. you hsould be flattered that theya re seen as expensive and good gifts, enought to be used to be given to someone else.

my husband always says to me: 'hueng'... if i say why did u give so and so that shirt i bought u.... he says, he has plenty of shirts and so and so liked it so gave it to him.. thats the best gift there is in my opinioun.

Buying a razor to an Asian guy (who shaves once a month)?

Good one Dave!

What's next ? Ice to Inuits? Sand to desert nomads?

Hint : If you make an effort to actually know the person, you might be able to offer decent gifts.

I disagree!

A razor for a man who shaves once a month is a useful gift.

This is Thailand!

How many millions of women here are constantly purchasing bras...

and never have anything to put into them....ever?

At least the man has a use for the razor once a month!

attachicon.gifqq1.jpg

What is this ? Trailer park forum?

I would have never imagine having to say that one day News flash ; All women have breast and need bras. Another matter is getting the right one

News flash 2: Men have and will continue to shave without electric razor.

Newsflash - call me old-fashioned but it's the thought that counts. If they give a gift away, give them NOTHING.

• Like 1

This used to drive me nuts.

You take the extra effort buy buy an appropriate or special gift for a Thai Person.

It's received, smiles are exchanged and a few days later, out of sight, the gift is opened.

Sometimes, you never see that gift again.

Sometimes you see that another Family member uses it as their own.

Even better it's been 're-gifted' to them.

Classic cases of all three.

Bought a nice shirt for the gf's old man. Polo shirt, with a pocket, and Australia words on the pocket.

Never saw him wore it once. Quizzed the gf. She claims to know nothing. Six months later ... never saw it being worn.

Finally, the gf hints at what might have happened. He has maybe 're-gifted' to a friend ... whistling.gif

Not because he didn't like it, but he wanted good face by giving a 'foreign' gift.

Gave the same guy an electric razor. Never used it. Now, my fault there ... I reckon he'd shave maybe once a month ... not very hirsute.

He then (effectively) gives it to his daughter ... who gives it to her bf. A man that I don't particularly like.

Yeh, Yeh, I know ... 'David, you've given the gift ... it's not yours any more. The joy is in the giving'.

Well, I reckon the joy is also in the recipient using your gift.

Mate of mine gave his gf and nice purse, maybe $50-$60 bucks worth. She tots off to Thailand and gives it to her sister.

Why?

Well, her sister worked so that my mates gf could go to University ... it was pay-back time.

I like giving surprises ... but, more often then not now, I ask what I should buy for the person ... and then pray it's not re-gifted ... facepalm.gif

BTW ... if anyone here is a smaller size member I have an 'official copy' Liverpool shirt which my gf's friends gave me for Christmas last year ... happy to re-gift it ... laugh.png

as mentioned many times before by me: never ask WHY in Thailand....there a many miracles we never will get...

btw the new motorbike i gave my wife two years ago for her BD was highly appreciated,same as the i-phone last year...

may you should re-think about your gifts...

gold is always a winner!

"maybe you should re-think about your gifts.."

Or you could think about regifting their expressions of affection.

When she says "I love you", you accept it then re-gift the gesture to another woman.

wai2.gif

• Like 1