New Computer, New Technology

OneeyedJohn

Chuck this in the appropiate forum if necessary.

I just need some simple advice on using the Webcam and microphone for Skype initially.

I have the Webcam plugged into a slot and hole (usb ??) on the front and the micro/.head phone into the hole next to it, despite there being two leads from the phone set (pink/green) the green is plugged in and sound comes through the headphones as wellas the speakers.

A skype test call did not playback my voice, so something ain't right.

I've seen webcam inshops that seem to loop back showing whatever hoves into view, i.e. one's own ugly mug when u peer at the computer unaware there is a webcam,How do I do that basically.

Keep it simple chaps

Thanks

OeJ

I don't use a webcam (if you saw me you'd understand why) but for the Mic. go into control panel.. sounds and audio devices, select audio and under sound recording click volume and set your mic accordingly. If that doesn't fix it check your headset as mine has an in line control with a mute switch. (a small device mid-cable) when I bought it it was set to mute and I encountered problems.

Hope this helps. :o

There should be two "holes". One for the green lead (headphone) and one for the pink lead (microphone). The mic has to be plugged in for you to talk/record. The headphone can be plugged in or not depending on if you want to use speakers. On my computer the speakers are cut off it plugged in but if yours are not you will want to turn them off to obtain the best sound/connections. Can not answer web cam as do not use one. On my computer mic is on one side of USB pair and headphone on the other side. On my headset the mic / headphone switch as a mute position so you need to at the 'on' setting to use mic; rather than the 'mute' position.

Chances are that you need to turn the webcam on in Skype itself. You can set this so that it happens automatically whenever you are in a Skype call. Fiddle around with the options at the top of the Skype screen until you see something about webcam, test webcam or similar.

If you need a driver for the webcam make sure it is installed, most are just plug and play though.

As Lop says, the two (pink/green) leads are mic and speakers separately, make they are both plugged in according to their colour codes. Usually the external speaker will switch off when a headphone jack is inserted, if not best turn your speakers down (on the speaker, not in the sound settings) to avoid any kind of feedback.

My wife and I use Skype with webcam every night and find it to be a godsend. I get to talk to my daughters and they get to see who their Daddy is. It is a great tool.

Best of luck.

Yes thanks ...I've got the microphone working now,did a test skype and its OK.

The webcam has two wires which are still plugged into the front but dont know wot to do to get it working..it might be working already but how would one know ?? Daft ain't it. :o

Missed u tuky whilst I was replying......wot u say makes sense but will try it 2moro,,dinner beckons.

I hear these web cams can be abused by people doing naughty things to each other...dont mind getting a few wrong numbers if thats the case,,,,is there a sexysusieinsurin out there ??

Edited by OneeyedJohn