Honda HR-V launched in Thailand

Tywais

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I looked one over at the Honda dealer the other day while getting book service on my car. I was a bit surprised at its short stature, and sloping rear, and sort of closer to the Juke look. I can understand the comment by Rd Rokit that it looks like a hatchback. Many people like this type of crossover look (and looks like the new Mazda shares that look) rather than the taller SUV look, though I didn't think it looked like a million baht vehicle. Interior was nice.

Edited by keemapoot

I looked one over at the Honda dealer the other day while getting book service on my car. I was a bit surprised at its short stature, and sloping rear, and sort of closer to the Juke look. I can understand the comment by Rd Rokit that it looks like a hatchback. Many people like this type of crossover look (and looks like the new Mazda shares that look) rather than the taller SUV look, though I didn't think it looked like a million baht vehicle. Interior was nice.

Yep, most of these small crossovers do just look like jacked up hatchbacks. It's not just the HR-V, the Mini Countryman, Volvo V40 Cross Country, and Benz GLA are all easily mistaken at first sight for hatchbacks too. In the HR-V's segment, the Ecosport and Juke look like more purposeful baby SUV's.

Park a HR-V EL next to a Pajero Sport GLS (same price) and see if you still want to call it an SUV then tongue.png

Edited by IMHO

In the HR-V's segment, the Ecosport and Juke look like more purposeful baby SUV's.

Park a HR-V EL next to a Pajero Sport GLS (same price) and see if you still want to call it an SUV then tongue.png

Hell, I don't need to do that...I've already parked my (800k Baht after 30k discount) baby Ecosport next to one, and the Ford dwarfs it. laugh.png

• 3 weeks later...

<snip>

How much does the GBC30 cost ?

No idea, check out the EagleGPS website, but IMHO the GBC30 can't be used standalone, but only in combination with the other 2 I mentioned (but I could be wrong)

Edit: Found it on the GPS Society Website it's 3000 THB

http://www.gpssociety.com/EN/Pages/productdetailfeature.aspx?SiteName=EN&Category=PND&ID=31

External HD camera suitable for use in combination with GDR 30 or GDR 35, enables the installation of an external camera on the rear windshield, eliminating doubts when maneuvering the vehicle, providing an easy and safe driving experience. GBC 30 is able to integrate with GDR 35. It is also compatible with GDR 30 if and ONLY integrate with nüvi 3560LM and nüvi 3592LM.

Another question.

Do you install dashcams to windscreens before getting windows tinted or after ?

<snip>

How much does the GBC30 cost ?

No idea, check out the EagleGPS website, but IMHO the GBC30 can't be used standalone, but only in combination with the other 2 I mentioned (but I could be wrong)

Edit: Found it on the GPS Society Website it's 3000 THB

http://www.gpssociety.com/EN/Pages/productdetailfeature.aspx?SiteName=EN&Category=PND&ID=31

External HD camera suitable for use in combination with GDR 30 or GDR 35, enables the installation of an external camera on the rear windshield, eliminating doubts when maneuvering the vehicle, providing an easy and safe driving experience. GBC 30 is able to integrate with GDR 35. It is also compatible with GDR 30 if and ONLY integrate with nüvi 3560LM and nüvi 3592LM.

Another question.

Do you install dashcams to windscreens before getting windows tinted or after ?

After. Dashcam's attach with suction cups.

Yep, most of these small crossovers do just look like jacked up hatchbacks. It's not just the HR-V, the Mini Countryman, Volvo V40 Cross Country, and Benz GLA are all easily mistaken at first sight for hatchbacks too. In the HR-V's segment, the Ecosport and Juke look like more purposeful baby SUV's.

Thought PJS, Fortuner and the likes based on pickup frames (rear rigid axle to lower taxes) are called PPV (Passenger Pickup Vehicle) ? tongue.png

SUVs are CRV,Captiva, X-Trail, CX-5, that do not simply have jacked up suspension.

....Mini Countryman, Volvo V40 Cross Country, and Benz GLA....

like these

I still haven't seen one in person yet but on paper it still looks like a good looking Juke or a bad looking Mazda 3. The pricing is the same as the Mazda 3 but the HR-V has a 1.8 liter 138hp engine and the Mazda 3 a 2.0 liter 165hp engine and the Mazda gets 40mpg on the highway.

Thought PJS, Fortuner and the likes based on pickup frames (rear rigid axle to lower taxes) are called PPV (Passenger Pickup Vehicle) ? tongue.png

SUVs are CRV,Captiva, X-Trail, CX-5, that do not simply have jacked up suspension.

....Mini Countryman, Volvo V40 Cross Country, and Benz GLA....

like these

PPV is just a Thai taxation term :)

The terminology they all use is SUV. Just go visit any of the manufacturer's websites discussed ;)

They bundle them all together, so comparisons, especially when they're the same price, are fair game, IMHO :P

as far as price is concerned, the comparison can be done, IMHO whistling.gif

for anything else, it's not "apples to apples", as they say laugh.png

owning an SUV (Captiva diesel) and a jacked up car (Subaru XV) and driving a company PPV (Fortuner) and SUV (CR-V), boy, are they different!wai2.gif

I'm collecting one of these mid March. Currently driving a Altis but not been impressed and the roads seem to be deteriorating both near my condo and my workplace. I didn't want a huge SUV so this type of crossover is pretty handy for me, soaks up the potholes better than a Sedan but still a reasonable size for day to day duties. Sitting inside it kind of feels like a jacked up car, which I guess is what it is really. I won't be doing any off roading other than a few of the inevitable unpaved roads that you encounter from time to time so I don't need a 'real' off roader.

Went to see one a couple of weeks ago, feels pretty spacious in the cabin and I quite liked the interior. The Toyota has been reliable but other than that I can't say I've enjoyed driving it.

Picked up mine last week. It's a dream machine.

I'm planning to drive it around Laos if i get the plates & purple book well before the wet season sets in.

Interesting thing about the plates. I registered my last car in Chiangmai & got CM plates. A number of Thai's commented why i didn't get bangkok plates, i said why? The reasons they replied were:

1/ status, country plates show you maybe of a lower status.

2/ Bangkok drivers are better than country drivers.

3/ Bangkok plates are better for vehicle resale.

Being a westerner i don't see things that way. But when i was paying for my car the salesman said do i want Bangkok plates or Udon Thani plates? I said i'll get the BKK plates, he said that will be an extra 4,000 Bt. I guess i"m a sucker, i paid the extra 4k.

Being a westerner i don't see things that way. But when i was paying for my car the salesman said do i want Bangkok plates or Udon Thani plates? I said i'll get the BKK plates, he said that will be an extra 4,000 Bt. I guess i"m a sucker, i paid the extra 4k.

I bought my first car in Bangkok and drove it back to Chiang Mai. I asked some friends about the Bangkok plates and said I can use them but if I decide to sell it it would have to be in Bangkok. That is, you can only sell the car in the province it is registered. That was nearly 20 years ago so don't know if that is still valid. I did change it to Chiang Mai after about a year though.

I sold my Nissan with CM plates in Udon Thani a few months ago. The buyer has to go to the local traffic authority to change registration & i guess get new plates. Which kind of confuses me because my address is in Udon Thani, yet i am able to get BKK plates through the Dealer ?

Picked up mine last week. It's a dream machine.

I'm planning to drive it around Laos if i get the plates & purple book well before the wet season sets in.

Interesting thing about the plates. I registered my last car in Chiangmai & got CM plates. A number of Thai's commented why i didn't get bangkok plates, i said why? The reasons they replied were:

1/ status, country plates show you maybe of a lower status.

2/ Bangkok drivers are better than country drivers.

3/ Bangkok plates are better for vehicle resale.

Congrats on the new ride, happy to hear you like it. Interestingly, I believe you booked a day or so after I did and were told Feb/Mar delivery, but received your vehicle in mid-January. Meanwhile, my vehicle was promised for January...later told January 20, but still waiting. I know my dealer hasn't dealt with farangs before, (speaks minimal English) and seems none-too-happy about it, so I have been using a Thai friend as a go-between/translator, which probably suppose I am not on the top of their delivery priority list -- I get the distinct impression they would prefer I just walk away so they can just deliver the car to a lucky Thai that can jump the queue.

On a related topic, since you have just gone through this process, can you tell me when/if you need to provide proof of residence to purchase and/or register the vehicle? The dealer (through my interpreter) told me I will NOT need any proof of residence, but I am skeptical so I obtained it (OK, got fleeced for it at the embassy) anyway. Is it given to the dealer at time of delivery so that they can register the vehicle, or will I need to do this myself? I have reviewed other threads on the topic but haven't found any clarity. TIA.

Personally I still haven't seen any of these on the roads here in BKK, but it seems to be a popular choice, so I'd expect to see them popping up as it's an ideal vehicle for driving and parking in the city.

Thanks, I know what is required (document from immigration or embassy) and I have that, but my question is about to whom and when it must presented -- to dealer at time of delivery, to dealer later (for new plates), or directly at transport ministry. I don't want to get the thread off-topic but since others here are in-process of taking HR-V deliveries from Honda dealers, I decided to ask here for their experience since my dealer is ignorant of any requirement.

Thanks, I know what is required (document from immigration or embassy) and I have that, but my question is about to whom and when it must presented -- to dealer at time of delivery, to dealer later (for new plates), or directly at transport ministry. I don't want to get the thread off-topic but since others here are in-process of taking HR-V deliveries from Honda dealers, I decided to ask here for their experience since my dealer is ignorant of any requirement.

Well the last car bought was in the wife's name but the car before that I bought in Pattaya from a Nissan dealer in my name and had to give my Proof of Residence to the dealer before I picked up the car. This may or may not differ from dealer to dealer.

I gave a copy of my residency certificate document at time i paid deposit. The dealer does the paperwork with the transport department. Don't give away the original, it's good for a year, in case you want to buy a new bike or something. But you certainly do need the certificate to buy a new car.

I had to go to the Australian Embassy 2 weeks ago to renew my passport. I saw a few HR-Vs getting around. When i got home last week i rang the salesman to put a bit of pressure on him as to when it arrives. He said a blue one arrived the day before & if i go there now i can have it. When i got there i had to wait half an hour for him to find the remote, he had a handful of them. I said can i just look at it. He said i can't as it is out the back & customers aren't allowed there. I think he may have had more at the back & didn't want me catching him out lying. I said then don't worry i'll come back the next day with the cheque, and i did, it was ready for me to drive away.

So i reckon if you want to get your car sooner then keep harassing the salesman by ringing and/or turning up at the dealers. I think your right Eppic, they give preference to whoever they choose to.

Just been told my EL delivery will be delayed by several months. Was told all EL versions are not being sold/delivered, but pardon me for being skeptical. Regardless, I started a new thread on the topic to get some opinions on what recourse I have, if any (not optimistic)....trying hard to not catch the "victimized farang" paranoia, but it's getting tougher...

Just been told my EL delivery will be delayed by several months. Was told all EL versions are not being sold/delivered, but pardon me for being skeptical. Regardless, I started a new thread on the topic to get some opinions on what recourse I have, if any (not optimistic)....trying hard to not catch the "victimized farang" paranoia, but it's getting tougher...

If you have a good Thai friend, then get him or her to email or call other dealers to see if they have ELs available. Even if they are in different provinces. When i bought my new nissan 4 years ago i emailed dealers in many provinces in Thailand to see who had one available. When i let my local dealer aware that i would buy elsewhere he magically made one appear for me.

I'm not saying that they don't have a short supply. But i never trust sales people.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Honda hands free can connect more than one make of phone.It stores it under the Honda Onboard Bluetooth system.If you click connect phone from the Wheel,one can enter many phones. How You do it Cluck Knows.!!. Ive tried and lost the lot. Back to Honda with 3 Phones to set for me.Now i can select. but only the selected on upstart works.It says you name incase you foregot it.biggrin.png

If you need Proof of Residence the document they will need comes from Thai Immigration.

I stuffed up with my Residence certificate.

Residence Certificate is now only valid for 30 days, used to be 1 year.

I have been waiting for over 4 months to get my blue book & plates. I kept going to Honda regularly to ask for my registration only to be told each time that it was coming but the transport office is slow to process.

Finally i was fed up & last week took a Thai friend to Honda to make a formal complaint to the managers. After 2 hours with the managers & them questioning staff & contacting transport dept i was told the residence certificate had expired before it hit the desk of the transport officer. There was no communication between anyone, so the problem dragged on.

They told me i had to go back to immigration & get a new certificate, i said no way !! it's not my fault you all are so slow in doing your paperwork & the immigration only gives 30 days. So the Honda manager met me the next day at immigration & met with the immigration boss to give me a free new certificate. So now i am back to square one & have to go thru the process all over again. Amazing Thailand.

• 2 weeks later...