Honda HR-V launched in Thailand

Tywais

I looked one over at the Honda dealer the other day while getting book service on my car. I was a bit surprised at its short stature, and sloping rear, and sort of closer to the Juke look. I can understand the comment by Rd Rokit that it looks like a hatchback. Many people like this type of crossover look (and looks like the new Mazda shares that look) rather than the taller SUV look, though I didn't think it looked like a million baht vehicle. Interior was nice.

Yep, most of these small crossovers do just look like jacked up hatchbacks. It's not just the HR-V, the Mini Countryman, Volvo V40 Cross Country, and Benz GLA are all easily mistaken at first sight for hatchbacks too. In the HR-V's segment, the Ecosport and Juke look like more purposeful baby SUV's.

Park a HR-V EL next to a Pajero Sport GLS (same price) and see if you still want to call it an SUV then tongue.png

i think an HRV has more in common imho with a Civic than it does a CRV.

it looks like a baby SUV but certainly does not feel like a SUV.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I looked one over at the Honda dealer the other day while getting book service on my car. I was a bit surprised at its short stature, and sloping rear, and sort of closer to the Juke look. I can understand the comment by Rd Rokit that it looks like a hatchback. Many people like this type of crossover look (and looks like the new Mazda shares that look) rather than the taller SUV look, though I didn't think it looked like a million baht vehicle. Interior was nice.

Yep, most of these small crossovers do just look like jacked up hatchbacks. It's not just the HR-V, the Mini Countryman, Volvo V40 Cross Country, and Benz GLA are all easily mistaken at first sight for hatchbacks too. In the HR-V's segment, the Ecosport and Juke look like more purposeful baby SUV's.

Park a HR-V EL next to a Pajero Sport GLS (same price) and see if you still want to call it an SUV then tongue.png

i think an HRV has more in common imho with a Civic than it does a CRV.

it looks like a baby SUV but certainly does not feel like a SUV.

I think you mean Jazz, not Civic.

Yeah true the egine I think is straight from the civic, the size of interior is comparable to the civic too, if not bigger

Personally feel it is a proper suv. Comparing it to a Pajero is fine but the buyer for the HRV is a more affluent type

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Cook my sock

Big Like. The handbrake gizmo, Push the button at Lights,leave in gear and go when ready,auto turn off. Also the CVT Box is superb. Dont like being hi up like a Truck apart from the better view. Seems dam good value for the price , but bits missing compared with the top U.S. version thats a fair bit cheaper than here. No Roof Rails for one. Ila try it again next week.

in my whole life i have never seen a car using its roof rails except for bringing a pair of ski which does not exist in thailand

the hill launch assist is also top notch.

Price is exactly the same as in canada or pretty close, so definitely good value, though i think the thai model seems to look better.

When comparing anything, you cant ever use USA as 90% of usa is third world and thailand is a developping nation

Not sure what's happened to Honda over the last 20 years or so. They always used to produce cars that were fun to drive all across the range, but now they seem to have given up (barring the occasional R model) and morphed into Toyota; determined to produce cars that bore you.

The HRV looks great but to drive it is a big disappointment like the rest of the Honda range. Lackluster engines married to middling running gear.

Edited by JaseTheBass

Not sure what's happened to Honda over the last 20 years or so. They always used to produce cars that were fun to drive all across the range, but now they seem to have given up (barring the occasional R model) and morphed into Toyota; determined to produce cars that bore you.

The HRV looks great but to drive it is a big disappointment like the rest of the Honda range. Lackluster engines married to middling running gear.

Honda made some boring cars in the past as well, particularly the volume selling models. The more interesting models generally do not make it to Thailand at all or sell in very limited volume. They have changed, (as they must) but our perceptions have changed as well. The competition has got a lot stronger Honda's comfort zone, the small to medium car segment.

Read nothing but good to exceptional reviews of the HRV in the press. Granted it's no sports car but for 1m u get a car with a premium look and feel, masses of space, good looks, good design, comfortable to drive, and 1.8 engine is strong enough.

Edited by Cook my sock

getting a "sports" car in thailand is the definition of retardation

You can't keep 120kph on the cruise for more than 20secs at a time.. my best time is 2mins over my last 4 000 km across the country.. my avg is 10-20seconds.. and i dont let people pass me so its not a driver's issue.

Acceleration? my last 4 000km on this car, ive had the chance to accelerate fast with no motorbike/slow car in front of me twice..

I have a few hundred k kms in thailand and as much as i love sports car back home, here they are useless. Confort, safety and status are the only things that matter

You can't keep 120kph on the cruise for more than 20secs at a time.. my best time is 2mins over my last 4 000 km across the country.. my avg is 10-20seconds.. and i dont let people pass me so its not a driver's issue.

Acceleration? my last 4 000km on this car, ive had the chance to accelerate fast with no motorbike/slow car in front of me twice..

I have a few hundred k kms in thailand and as much as i love sports car back home, here they are useless. Confort, safety and status are the only things that matter

Bangkok isn't the only province in Thailand

Mr Bear try running Kabi to Bkk midweek and enjoy any fast car or suv.Great Feedom in many area is still to be found. Its just knowing where and when in Thailand.

Mr Bear try running Kabi to Bkk midweek and enjoy any fast car or suv.Great Feedom in many area is still to be found. Its just knowing where and when in Thailand.

The road from Uttaradit to Phitsanulok is another one if you like speed. Dual carriageway, mostly deserted, long sections of straight road... I've even seen drivers who rarely get above 90 doing 150 there wink.png I sometimes do that route as an alternative to highway #1 just because of it :)

For handling, there's plenty of nice twisty mountain roads up North.

Edited by IMHO

OT but does anyone know if the New Kia Soul comes in more than one spec ie a higher spec than 'standard' version. It's a little pricey I know

AFAIK, no. Just one spec level.

yes driving across the country obviously means bangkok

especialy when i stated above that most of my recent km's are not city driving

We all learn something new everyday. Today i learned that angry thai visa members think of 'driving across the country' as driving around bangkok. Fun stuff

im gonna drive 1000km todya and the only stretch of road that i will be able to drive above 110 on will be close to surat tani, that road that passes no village for a while

Edited by bearpolar