Lost passport / visa and extension of stay

I suspect that I may have lost my passport and, in the event, I cannot find it I need some advice as to what to do. I did my 90 days report last month so have got this until mid-Jan 2015 and have got extension of stay until late February 2015. Where this gets very tricky for me is that I am supposed to be flying home for Christmas on the 22nd December and coming back on the 5th January. I have not got a re-entry stamp yet for going to and coming back to Thailand. I have checked on the UK Passport office page and it looks like I can get an emergency travel document and return on it? If I don't find the passport after retracing my steps and turning over my appartment I plan to go to police station to make a police report. If anyone has any advice or can recommend what I should do please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Edited by farang1979

If you get an ETD (emergency passport) from the British Consular Facility in Bangkok, you should be able to get the extension stamp(s) restored to the ETD by Thai Immigration (depending on the area you live in it may also require the pro forma from the Embassy as well as the police report) and possibly even get a re-entry permit as well.

Only problem wit this is that the Embassy will normally only supply the ETD for travel booked in the very near future, plus thespecific itinerary must be provided and is printed/written into your ETD.

You need to list a return journey to Thailand to ensure you still can have the ETD in your hand for transfer of details to your new UK passport, but hopefully you would be able to show a re-entry permit in the ETD but get the entry stamp in your new passport.

Just a thought, currently almost no-one in the UK is applying for passports and the backlogs are pretty much clear; there have been some recent reports of relatively 'quick' (2-6 week) turnarounds for applications through trendy Bangkok.

Edited by digitalchromakey
  • Like 1

If you get an ETD (emergency passport) from the British Consular Facility in Bangkok, you should be able to get the extension stamp(s) restored to the ETD by Thai Immigration (depending on the area you live in it may also require the pro forma from the Embassy as well as the police report) and possibly even get a re-entry permit as well.

Only problem wit this is that the Embassy will normally only supply the ETD for travel booked in the very near future, plus thespecific itinerary must be provided and is printed/written into your ETD.

You need to list a return journey to Thailand to ensure you still can have the ETD in your hand for transfer of details to your new UK passport, but hopefully you would be able to show a re-entry permit in the ETD but get the entry stamp in your new passport.

Just a thought, currently almost no-one in the UK is applying for passports and the backlogs are pretty much clear; there have been some recent reports of relatively 'quick' (2-6 week) turnarounds for applications through trendy Bangkok.

I can confirm that the current turn around for a UK passport through VFS, Suk Soi 13 is under 2 weeks, providing of course your application includes all relevant data. I applied for my replacement on the 5th Nov and was emailed and called on the 17th to say it was ready to collect.

• Like 1

I can confirm that the current turn around for a UK passport through VFS, Suk Soi 13 is under 2 weeks, providing of course your application includes all relevant data. I applied for my replacement on the 5th Nov and was emailed and called on the 17th to say it was ready to collect.

IsaanAndy, thanks very much for confirming. I've got a fresh police report in my hand but if I can squeeze it in, a renewal of my passport could be an option to explore. I think the first step is an email. Just been having a root around on Google and various websites; you wouldn't happen to have the email address for making an appointment handy would you? Thanks so much for your help.

to be honest i think trying to get a lost passport replaced before the 22nd December will be a very tight squeeze, there are reports of passport renewals being returned in 2 weeks not counting the waiting time for the appointment, I think a lost passport is more complex than a straight forward renewal, so in my opinion take longer.

Best of luck could happen to anyone of us.

• Like 1

I think I've found it: [email protected]

You have,

Also you need a certified English translation of the Thai police report, if you are applying on lost or stolen grounds, you can get this for 1000 THB at one of the companies on the ground floor of the Trendy Bldg, it takes about 1 hour so you'll need to arrive early. Good luck.

Jeez, thanks so much Andy. Didn't have a clue and easy one to forget with everything else. I'll add 1000THB to the running costs lol. Did you lose your passport or or have it stolen? Or were you must getting it replaced/ renewed?

to be honest i think trying to get a lost passport replaced before the 22nd December will be a very tight squeeze, there are reports of passport renewals being returned in 2 weeks not counting the waiting time for the appointment, I think a lost passport is more complex than a straight forward renewal, so in my opinion take longer.

Best of luck could happen to anyone of us.

True, Steve. Worth a shot I think and thanks for the advice. Last time I renewed my passport it was when you had to send it to Liverpool directly. That was for straight forward replacement and took about 6 weeks I think. I'll give it a shot. Worst comes to worst I'll have to get an Emergency Travel Document. I'll need a new passport anyway so the sooner I get it done the better really.

• 3 weeks later...

Have received my new passport today. Thank God. I need to transfer the stamps to my new passport. I don't have copies on me. Is it just a case of walking into Immigration and asking them to transfer them? Any form I should fill out? Also looking to get a re-entry stamp as well, I think the form for this is TM8. Please can anyone advise. Thanks.

Lost/Stolen passport form: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/pdf/lostpassport.pdf

You will need the police report for your lost passport. Letter from embassy confirming you were issued a passport.

TM8 is the re-entry permit application form. http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/pdf/tm8.pdf

Hi Ubonjoe. I've already notified the Passport Office in the UK of my lost passport when I applied for my new passport, which I've received today. Spoke to Thai Immigration and they said I need a letter from Bangkok Embassy saying my old passport has been cancelled and to re-issue my stamps. Does that sound familiar from what you know?

Lost/Stolen passport form: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/pdf/lostpassport.pdf

You will need the police report for your lost passport. Letter from embassy confirming you were issued a passport.

TM8 is the re-entry permit application form. http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/pdf/tm8.pdf

Hi Ubonjoe. I've already notified the Passport Office in the UK of my lost passport when I applied for my new passport, which I've received today. Spoke to Thai Immigration and they said I need a letter from Bangkok Embassy saying my old passport has been cancelled and to re-issue my stamps. Does that sound familiar from what you know?

I think I wrote in my post that you need the letter from the UK embassy. They have a standard form you fill out and they stamp and sign it.

I think I wrote in my post that you need the letter from the UK embassy. They have a standard form you fill out and they stamp and sign it.

Having got a copy of the letter you mention, the only thing that's niggling at me is that the British Embassy don't have a record of when I "entered Thailand". This message phrase itself is confusing. Is that the first time I entered Thailand? When I did my "border run" and re-entered? When?

The only thing I can see on the letter is (I quote) "Mr_______has indicated he/she entered Thailand on __________ and was issued with a __________visa" which.leads me to assume I tell the British Embassy?

Edited by farang1979

You fill in the missing details. The embassy would have no idea what you had unless they could look at your passport.

Yeah thing is I don't really remember. Was kinda banking on someone having it stored on a central database. Still no clearer on the "entered Thailand" bit. This ain't really making a whole load of sense. Is there any cost for the letter?

Yeah thing is I don't really remember. Was kinda banking on someone having it stored on a central database. Still no clearer on the "entered Thailand" bit. This ain't really making a whole load of sense. Is there any cost for the letter?

It's the date on which you entered Thailand, and in your case, on an extension of stay and re-entry permit. If you don't remember put the closest date possible.

It's the date on which you entered Thailand, and in your case, on an extension of stay and re-entry permit. If you don't remember put the closest date possible.

Hi Paz. The date I first entered Thailand EVER or the date I did the re-entry to Thailand on a border run?

Immigration will have the info in their data base.

Just leave the space after "entered Thailand on" blank or put unknown if you don't remember the last date you entered.

The letter is free.

Thanks Ubonjoe, seems like a logical solution really. Glad its free had visions of handing over hard earned baht. Are you British too if you don't mind me asking?

So I got the stamps transferred yesterday. Only thing is it seems like they transferred all the stamps apart from most recent 90 days stamp. I asked about this and got a "Not sure". So I got a print out which had all the details on it. But it's unsigned. Now I'm worried when I go to leave Thailand for a holiday I may be asked about the absence of the stamp at the airport. Even though my extension of stay and re-entry is in there. Is this legitimate concern or an I worrying too much?

You will have to work out when your next 90 day report is due they don't stamp that in your passport. It was on the receipt for your last report that I assume was lost with your passport.

I already know, that not my issue. It's that if I go to the airport and immigration see my passport without a 90 days stamp and an unsigned letter, albeit with all the details on, I'm concerned they may think I'm an overstay or wonder why there's no stamp in there.

They don't look for 90 day reports at the airport. Most people take the report receipt out before leaving since it is void as soon as your leave because the next report date is no longer needed.

So effectively, what you're saying is it doesn't matter if the 90 days report is in there on an outward journey. And coming back to Thailand, it won't matter then either?