Any ideas for work in Thailand which would allow me to travel back and forth to the UK?

Hi all

I'm new to the forum. Ive started travelling to Thailand since last September and have been 3 times already. I really want to move to Thailand but have family commitments in the uk which will not allow me.to live in Thailand. I was thinking what if I could find a job or some type of work or work share that would allow me to travel between Thailand and the UK. For example 1 month in UK then 1 month in Thailand continuously. Any advice or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ok I have the basic school qualifications of English maths etc.

I then went on to do performing arts which I got a Btec for.

Im now working for myself as a car trader which I have been doing for 10 years.

I do enjoy working for myself but would preder being able to travel back and forth to Thailand therefore would consider any type of job position whether working for myself or company etc.

Thanks

Oil and Gas industry?

Stock Market Broker?

Property Owner letting out housing in the UK / Thailand?

You aren't going to have an income from a job in Thailand typically to cover a 'back and forth' lifestyle. Once or twice a year maybe and that's it. Unless you are on a high-paying job / income like the three I've mentioned above.

Edited by mitsubishi
  • Like 2

OP, I honestly don't think it's viable.

I have family in Thailand and fly back between contracts in other countries, mostly Blighty. This means I'm away for perhaps 18 months, then I'll return for six months, although during the recession it was thirty months.

I earn quite well and with the present exchange rate running things in both countries is becoming more and more of a struggle.

I'll echo MJP and bigt116, you are going to struggle finding a job that will support your travel plans.

Can your UK business support you flitting around the world? How about a manager to run things whilst you are enjoying yourself?

I'm with the others, I'm afraid. While a nice thought to have a place in mind like 'exotic' Thailand to escape to and earn, reality is it is mainly setup as a holiday destination where we're concerned, thus the working part of the equation would typically involve home countries, i.e. UK in this case. Unless you're invited, sent over by big firm as an expat, have oil & gas experience or the credentials to earn basic teacher money, you're going to have few options. You see, many trades are simply closed off to us 'farang' here, but even if they weren't you would typically be earning a standard Thai wage which would not pay for a flight.

If you have some nous in the app world, spend spare time developing simple, catchy 2D games with free, downloadable engines. Just be aware that that ship -- as with many other avenues like websites, content writing, eBaying and the like -- has already sailed and there is massive competition.

My advice, earn your dosh in the UK and come here to relax.

All the best. wink.png

• Like 1

I was self employed in UK years ago and I'd work 2 months and them come to Thailand for a Month.It was all out of my pocket my own flights , no work no pay ect. Its not really practical to do 1 month on one month off , I don't anybody who has those terms

Sounds like its the Digital Pikey world for you, heck they come on here boasting of earning big $$$$ per day.

Failing that with your transferable skills,

Time share tout sounds perfect, Phuket ok is it?

• Like 2

Sounds like its the Digital Pikey world for you, heck they come on here boasting of earning big $$$$ per day.

Failing that with your transferable skills,

Time share tout sounds perfect, Phuket ok is it?

I have the perfect job for him "financial advisor " with some of the "well known" companies in BKK

• Like 1

It seems you're stuck in 20th century thinking but trying to live a 21st century life. So apart from finding a job with the British-Thai Trade delagation, Telecommuting is your only chance.

Unfortunately, for that flexibility you need to create your own job. It's not easy, but many people can do it.

I'm with the rest. If you're on a Thai salary, the trips home will kill ya. Once or maybe twice a year tops. There's also the matter of getting time off. Plus, you're probably gonna want to use some of that time to travel within the region. I'd say you have three options:

1) Teach. This can provide a low to moderate income, but should allow you a trip home once a year and plenty of time off to see TH and some neighboring countries.

2) Get a job back home with a company that has positions in TH. The days of finding jobs with your feet on the ground here seem to be gone.

3) Be a day trader. There's also the option of starting a business, but you're gonna need to get the lay of the land first, and I wouldn't suggest it unless you have Thai friends you can trust (something most would agree is very difficult to find).

Do what I did ( although you say "family) so might not be able to, marry a sensible well balanced Thai with an ability to learn and earn, give her the hand up she needed to make a go of a business, sit back and watch the money pour in.... 200+K a month, every month for the last 4-5 years so far and counting.

Realistically looking at your age qualifications etc.............really....FORGET IT!

Edited by kannot
  • Like 1

Join Scotland Yard and become a detective, with the number of Brits being assaulted, raped and murdered here, you are bound to be assigned a travelling brief.

Forget that idea, most crimes are solved by Thai Visa members these days

• Like 2

Join Scotland Yard and become a detective, with the number of Brits being assaulted, raped and murdered here, you are bound to be assigned a travelling brief.

Forget that idea, most crimes are solved by Thai Visa members these days

Only because the Police are too busy doing other things.