Changes To British Passport Services In Thailand

It is now official that common sense as prevailed,even to those on this thread who would hide their heads in the sand

And show no compassion to their fellow British citizens who are less fortunate than themselves.

Would once again like to thank the ardent common sense whingers who have campaigned throughout this thread

To change what can only be described as bungling in bulk.

Thank god i am not disabled,but i was so appalled at what was expected of the elderly and disabled British citizens

Who lived in the north or south of Thailand and who needed to renew their passport

I have just received this follow up email from HMPO Newport doing a complete about turn on this stupid rule giving

a British citizen NO OPTION but to possibly undertake a 4,000 kilometre journey to renew their passport

N

[email protected]

to me

17 hours agoDetails

Good Morning Mr M

Thank you for your email of 14 May 2014 about the procedure for elderly or Disabled British Citizens residing in Thailand who have been advised by a doctor that travelling to renew a British Passport would be detrimental to their health.

If a person is unable to apply in person, someone else may go on their behalf. A third party can also go to collect the passport however, they will have to provide evidence of who they are (some form of ID) and provide a letter from the applicant giving permission for the named person to collect the new passport on their behalf.

When the local office contacts the applicant to confirm the new passport is ready to collect, they will need to advise the office that someone else is collecting it and the local office will confirm details of how to do this.

We trust this clarifies the matter.

regards

Carol-Anne Peacock

Customer Contact Support Officer

Swyddog Cymorth Cyswllt Cwsmeriaid

Operations

Gweithrediadau

Her Majesty's Passport Office

Nexus House l Mission Court l Newport l NP20 2DW

Swyddfa Basbort Ei Mawrhydi

Tŷ Nexus l Mission Court l Casnewydd l NP20 2DW

T:+44 (0)1633 473125

[email protected]

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and

intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they

are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify

the system manager.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept for the presence of computer viruses.

The original of this email was scanned for viruses by the Government Secure Intranet virus scanning service supplied by Vodafone in partnership with Symantec. (CCTM Certificate Number 2009/09/0052.) This email has been certified virus free.

Communications via the GSi may be automatically logged, monitored and/or recorded for legal purposes.

I am glad you got an answer from HMPO complaints office.

However, for this to function with TRENDY (HMPO's Thailand contracted UK passport application reviewer and forwarder) you would need a contact phone number, and staff to be able to communicate in the ENGLISH language. None of these available right now. As amazing as it may seem!

Cloud Cuckoo Land!

Trendy only take your papers, count them as it were, look for writing, then forward them to HMPO.

Trendy are obviously not contracted by HMPO to offer application advice or assistance, hence no website or BKK Helpline.

There is no process of checking or review of the passport application/supporting papers at all in BKK, this is only done by HMPO in the UK at the payment, then examination stages.

I can only assume that a detailed comparison of the passport against the copies does not count as checking.

My text copied above and highlighted in red by you, does not mention cross checking of the passport vs copies supplied.

My point was that there is no application/supporting document verification undertaken by Trendy in BKK.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Free 12 month extension when renewing your passport just announced. Doesn't help me because my passport is full. I didn't catch all the details but ETD's free I think as well. I hope that applies to me. As of 21st June I become on overstay...

I understood it as a free 12 month extension as opposed to a renewal. I think they were saying that this would give people the chance to get back to UK for renewal.

Main points were additional staff and additional office space at Liverpool. Not that any of it is likely to do me much good, maybe a few days.

I think she said that the free ETD's were only for children.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Free 12 month extension when renewing your passport just announced. Doesn't help me because my passport is full. I didn't catch all the details but ETD's free I think as well. I hope that applies to me. As of 21st June I become on overstay...

I understood it as a free 12 month extension as opposed to a renewal. I think they were saying that this would give people the chance to get back to UK for renewal.

Main points were additional staff and additional office space at Liverpool. Not that any of it is likely to do me much good, maybe a few days.

I think she said that the free ETD's were only for children.

So It is looking like none of these new measures can help my situation in the latter stages of my application. Guess I'll just have to twiddle my thumbs and whistle a tune.

It certainly doesn't sound very coordinated from reading this article in the Independent

Shadow home secretary Yvette Cooper claims situation is 'seriously chaotic'facepalm.gif

I wonder what Sir Humphrey Appleby would have said tongue.png

Passport office backlog: Ministers block relaxation of checks to deal with delays

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/passports-backlog-officials-prevented-from-relaxing-checks-on-overseas-applicants-in-attempt-to-end-delays-9530827.html

Edited by Asiantravel

Free extension to travel back to UK is pretty much useless. The air flight will cost 600 quid.

On the hand, if my passport was suddenly valid again I would have room for about 3 tourist visas, ie 3 more months of legal living here, without threat of arrest, imprisonment, fines and deportation. That would be handy.

It is now official that common sense as prevailed,even to those on this thread who would hide their heads in the sand

And show no compassion to their fellow British citizens who are less fortunate than themselves.

Would once again like to thank the ardent common sense whingers who have campaigned throughout this thread

Thank god i am not disabled,but i was so appalled at what was expected of the elderly and disabled British citizens

Who lived in the north or south of Thailand and who needed to renew their passport

I have just received this follow up email from HMPO Newport doing a complete about turn on this stupid rule giving

a British citizen NO OPTION but to possibly undertake a 4,000 kilometre journey to renew their passport

N

[email protected]

to me

17 hours agoDetails

Good Morning Mr M

Thank you for your email of 14 May 2014 about the procedure for elderly or Disabled British Citizens residing in Thailand who have been advised by a doctor that travelling to renew a British Passport would be detrimental to their health.

If a person is unable to apply in person, someone else may go on their behalf. A third party can also go to collect the passport however, they will have to provide evidence of who they are (some form of ID) and provide a letter from the applicant giving permission for the named person to collect the new passport on their behalf.

When the local office contacts the applicant to confirm the new passport is ready to collect, they will need to advise the office that someone else is collecting it and the local office will confirm details of how to do this.

regards

Carol-Anne Peacock

Operations

Gweithrediadau

[email protected]

the system manager.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept for the presence of computer viruses.

The original of this email was scanned for viruses by the Government Secure Intranet virus scanning service supplied by Vodafone in partnership with Symantec. (CCTM Certificate Number 2009/09/0052.) This email has been certified virus free.

Communications via the GSi may be automatically logged, monitored and/or recorded for legal purposes.

I am glad you got an answer from HMPO complaints office.

However, for this to function with TRENDY (HMPO's Thailand contracted UK passport application reviewer and forwarder) you would need a contact phone number, and staff to be able to communicate in the ENGLISH language. None of these available right now. As amazing as it may seem!

Cloud Cuckoo Land!

Trendy only take your papers, count them as it were, look for writing, then forward them to HMPO.

Trendy are obviously not contracted by HMPO to offer application advice or assistance, hence no website or BKK Helpline.

There is no process of checking or review of the passport application/supporting papers at all in BKK, this is only done by HMPO in the UK at the payment, then examination stages.

I can only assume that a detailed comparison of the passport against the copies does not count as checking.

This is a misconception.

There is no checking against the passport.

VFS undertake a simple check of the documents supplied and ask YOU if that is what you want to send (ie address verification etc). They check you have signed the copies of the passport pages and that you have submitted photographs.

They do not check to see if your photos (and consequently the application) need countersigning on account of your appearance changing.

It is not a check and send service it is just a post box working to basic criteria.

• Like 1

Free extension to travel back to UK is pretty much useless. The air flight will cost 600 quid.

On the hand, if my passport was suddenly valid again I would have room for about 3 tourist visas, ie 3 more months of legal living here, without threat of arrest, imprisonment, fines and deportation. That would be handy.

Lost an 'other'. lol.

This BS is driving me to drink. Regency, as it happensh.

N

[email protected]

to me

17 hours agoDetails

Good Morning Mr M

regards

Carol-Anne Peacock

Operations

Gweithrediadau

[email protected]

the system manager.

Confirmation of some good news, another ray of light through the smoke of battle.

HMPO are now officially stating that third party application/collections are now possible for passport applicants living in Thailand, with written authorisation, this backs up what is now up on the HMPO web site.

Third Party Application Procedure - Thailand:

1) Third party makes appointment with Trendy.

2) Takes own photo ID, letter of authorization from applicant, applicant's papers, including completed payment form, photos, confirmation of address document - not yet clear if applicant's passport needs to go with third party for application.

3) Third party is contacted when passport is ready for collection in BKK - not yet certain if applicant's passport needs to go with third party for collection.

If, as what Trendy have written in recent emails is true, then the actual passport also no longer needs to go with the application.

So if true, then why can the application process/payment, as an option, not be done 100% On-line, with any copies/confirmation papers being posted directly to the UK?

Exactly, why can't it be done on line?

Several e-mails to both HMPO and Newport = they are asking each other to sort it out. But as my complaint is directed towards the application procedure rather than an actual application I have gone further and written letters.

My letter to the two addresses you provided are in the post, registered, I possibly may get a reply stating that a third party can do it. Which means I have to engage a third party in another country to do the application and collection for my daughter (almost as daft as actually going there in person).

Anyway, I have complained by letter now asking why I cannot apply on line for her here in Malaysia ( she lives in Thailand) while I (her father) is away working in Malaysia.

I have stated that I believe the new rules are discriminatory against those who can't help themselves (in my case, a severely disabled 11 year old).

I doubt I will get a reply, lets face it, they are incompetent in getting peoples passports to them on time and never mind about those who just want to have a whinge.

Edited by soihok
  • Like 1

So at last some one has spotted the elephant in the room, thanks in large part to the anonymous HMPO Civil Servant who leaked the 'orange box' photos to the Guardian yesterday - a true public servant at work there.

Suffice to say the HMPO Muppets and their British Government Puppet Masters have deservedly been well and truly caught with their collective pants down.

"It used to be a high brand service - until recently" - Chairman of the Home Affairs Select Committee

Smoke and chaos everywhere ..... UK Government reeling (and so they should be for creating this god awful cluster f..k of a fiasco).

http://news.sky.com/story/1280550/urgent-passport-cases-fast-tracked-for-free

The news effectively confirms that the Home Office failed to prepare properly for the increased burden of processing expat passports

What the exact implications are for those of us in Thailand waiting for passports and those soon to apply are by no means clear at this stage, but now there is at least some hope of further improvement......

Edited by digitalchromakey

So at last some one has spotted the elephant in the room, thanks in large part to the anonymous HMPO Civil Servant who leaked the 'orange box' photos to the Guardian yesterday - a true public servant at work there.

Suffice to say the HMPO Muppets and their British Government Puppet Masters have deservedly been well and truly caught with their collective pants down.

"It used to be a high brand service - until recently" - Chairman of the Home Affairs Select Committee

Smoke and chaos everywhere ..... UK Government reeling (and so they should be for creating this god awful cluster f..k of a fiasco).

http://news.sky.com/story/1280550/urgent-passport-cases-fast-tracked-for-free

The news effectively confirms that the Home Office failed to prepare properly for the increased burden of processing expat passports

What the exact implications are for those of us in Thailand waiting for passports and those soon to apply are by no means clear at this stage, but now there is at least some hope of further improvement......

The UK Telegraph Newspaper today outlined the current passport applications chaos.

In addition the Foreign Office is warning the Home Office and recommends that HMPO matters should be changed in order to alter the current messy passport application system that causes problems to all applicants, both in the UK, and British expats abroad.

Yvette Cooper the opposition Labour party shadow Home Secretary said the current passport application system was seriously chaotic and must be changed.

It is possible that the existing passport application matter will be changed in order to stop the current chaotic application system.

What happened to the poster (Nan something or other) from early on in the thread who declared that everyone was doing nothing other than whingeing.

He's seen the light - on message now.

I wonder if he's had an "Attitude adjustment!"

how can they extend a passport 12 months ?

Good question. Also, how far in advance of the expiry can you apply and qualify for the 12 month extension. Many countries require 6 months validity of your passport remaining when you arrive. Would it be reasonable to apply now, 9 months in advance of expiry, to get the extension? Leaving it to the last minute of say 7 months does not seem like a good idea.

I'm not expecting anyone to know the answers yet - least of all the beleaguered HMPO staff, many of whom are clearly in rebellious mood. Teresa May has to go (probably head of HMPO will play the sacrificial lamb though). Farcical that they deny a problem, staff whistle-blow with devastatingly lie-exposing photos of rooms full of unprocessed passports in Liverpool and what do the bu$$ers do next? Send a letter to all staff threatening them not to blow whistles on pain of death. It even outridicules Thai politics.

• Like 1

how can they extend a passport 12 months ?

Good question. Also, how far in advance of the expiry can you apply and qualify for the 12 month extension. Many countries require 6 months validity of your passport remaining when you arrive. Would it be reasonable to apply now, 9 months in advance of expiry, to get the extension? Leaving it to the last minute of say 7 months does not seem like a good idea.

I'm not expecting anyone to know the answers yet - least of all the beleaguered HMPO staff, many of whom are clearly in rebellious mood. Teresa May has to go (probably head of HMPO will play the sacrificial lamb though). Farcical that they deny a problem, staff whistle-blow with devastatingly lie-exposing photos of rooms full of unprocessed passports in Liverpool and what do the bu$$ers do next? Send a letter to all staff threatening them not to blow whistles on pain of death. It even outridicules Thai politics.

Maybe the reported £70/hour will appease the rebels.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

From The Grauniad, clear evidence of discrimination against overseas applications:

"The applications for renewals of UK passports from people living overseas that were opened this week date back to 29 April. The delay in opening applications for renewals from UK residents dated back only to 21 May."

"processing first-time applications for passports from overseas dating back to 31 March."

Source: http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/jun/12/emergency-passport-measures-may

Pathological Tory hating Yvette Cooper isn't helping matters with her typical hysterical mischief making prattling on about people losing holidays paid for by their lifetime savings blah, blah, blah. It's in a mess, yes, but those UK based muppets who leave everything until the last minute only have themselves to blame. Juggling visas etc for expats isn't so simple though.

Overseas applications

Overseas customers renewing an existing passport will be able to apply for it to be extended for 12 months. This will be done by consular staff in the country where they apply and appointments can be made from Monday 16 June. No additional fees will be charged and the security of the passport will not be affected.

Additional measures to meet high passport demand

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 2

This is a misconception.

There is no checking against the passport.

VFS undertake a simple check of the documents supplied and ask YOU if that is what you want to send (ie address verification etc). They check you have signed the copies of the passport pages and that you have submitted photographs.

They do not check to see if your photos (and consequently the application) need countersigning on account of your appearance changing.

It is not a check and send service it is just a post box working to basic criteria.

It is all down to personal experience. The girl checked every page in my passport against the copy and then asked me to sign the copy. She also had a good look at the photo.

You are quite free to hold any opinion that suits.

Overseas applications

Overseas customers renewing an existing passport will be able to apply for it to be extended for 12 months. This will be done by consular staff in the country where they apply and appointments can be made from Monday 16 June. No additional fees will be charged and the security of the passport will not be affected.

And the circle is complete. Consular staff doing what one of their main reasons for being in existence is all about. Apply via the consulate, send checked, completed and authorised application to the UK for the printing of the passport. Send back to Thailand. How hard?

• Like 1

Pathological Tory hating Yvette Cooper isn't helping matters with her typical hysterical mischief making prattling on about people losing holidays paid for by their lifetime savings blah, blah, blah. It's in a mess, yes, but those UK based muppets who leave everything until the last minute only have themselves to blame. Juggling visas etc for expats isn't so simple though.

I saw the live broadcast from the House and pathological is an understatement, it was a pure rant rather than constructive response.

As far as we are concerned i had not realised that overseas applications were previously dealt with by the FCO and in March they were transferred to HMPO for security reasons. It would appear that the HMPO were unprepared for the additional workload and then the problem escalated rapidly as the last minute holiday brigade came on stream.

How quickly the additional staff, working hours and office space will have some effect remains to be seen.

Overseas applications

But, I (and many others I suspect) have never had a passport come anywhere near expiry, I'm filling one every 4 years or so :(

Overseas applications

And the circle is complete. Consular staff doing what one of their main reasons for being in existence is all about. Apply via the consulate, send checked, completed and authorised application to the UK for the printing of the passport. Send back to Thailand. How hard?

I do not think that is what will take place. She said it would be quicker to extend the passport rather than issue a new passport.

I suspect that they will contact HMPO and alter the expiry date in the database and stamp your passport as being extended.

Should not be long before someone does it.

Overseas applications

So it looks like fast tracking is not an option for we non UK residents, being, I presume, as we are situated in the 'lower leagues'.

Not yet clear if the one year passport extension at the British Embassy is an option if you have already filed a renewal application and/or if you are yet to apply for a passport renewal.

ETD for kids seems to need proof of travel to the UK, so no good for any other trips.

Crumbs for us overseas expats perhaps, let's see how the Embassies Shape up on the one year extensions.

I have calculated, based on the current backlog, that my application is looking like running to 10 weeks plus.

!0 weeks would take me into Passport Expiry, plus Extension of Stay and Work Permit Expiry, so the one year extension looks for me personally to be my best option to remain legally in Thailand at this stage.

Edited by digitalchromakey
  • Like 1

So some people whose passports are about to expire can have it extended but how does this help people with full passports which I would imagine is the more prevalent in Thailand ? I suppose this helps them keep down the number of people applying for a year.

Overseas applications

But, I (and many others I suspect) have never had a passport come anywhere near expiry, I'm filling one every 4 years or so sad.png

From what I gather, it is not intended for expats. More for people working overseas where their passport may expire before the work comes to an end. An attempt to reduce the number of overseas applications which appear to be subject to much more scrutiny.

I had to renew with 7 years left.