Changes To British Passport Services In Thailand

I only have half a page left in my passport, next 90 day report is on July 16th so I guess not enough time?

So let me get the process straight:

You need to go to the office at Trendy in person with the full color copy of your passport, passport and other docs, pay the fee and then wait 6 weeks? I will need to apply for a new ED course here in that time I think, will this affect it?

You do not need any pages to do a 90 day report. You can still show your old passport to do the report after you apply for your new passport.

A half page should be enough to get an extension at immigration. Your passport will still valid for dong that.

Then after you get your new passport you will need to go to immigration to get your stamps transferred to your new passport.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I only have half a page left in my passport, next 90 day report is on July 16th so I guess not enough time?

So let me get the process straight:

You need to go to the office at Trendy in person with the full color copy of your passport, passport and other docs, pay the fee and then wait 6 weeks? I will need to apply for a new ED course here in that time I think, will this affect it?

Once you apply to Trendy your passport will be invalid for travel, but is not marked in any way to that effect.

So your local Thai Immigration Department will be completely unaware, thus no problem with your 90 day report on July 15th.

Current renewal processing time is 7-8 weeks so your new passport should be with you by the end of July, if you apply next week.

Rules have just been relaxed, so a third party can now attend Trendy on your behalf.

Don't know as regards the ED course, will that require a 3 month extension in your passport and do you have enough room?

Good News:

As of the 4th of June HMPO have moved the goal posts and now allow third parties to make the a UK passport renewal application in BKK.

See the related website page, linked below:

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports/y/thailand/renewing_new/adult

Note the key paragraph:

You must apply in person. If you’re unable to, someone else can go on your behalf. You must bring photo ID with you.

This is a significant shift in policy and will save many of us a huge amount of inconvenience, as I suspect within 2 weeks there will be agencies offering just such a service at a cost which will out trump the inconvenience/financial damage of personal travel to BKK for most living outside of the capital.

Small comfort for the pioneers who have had to endure the original nightmare personal appearance condition that has been in place for the last 10 weeks.

It also represents a back down from HMPOs original rigid position, as posted below, which was written in reply to any complaints sent in about this unjust process.

HMPO Newport:

'In light of the challenges presented by local Thai law to achieve this applicants for a UK Passport in Thailand are required to travel in person to the office of a HM Passport Office representative, in the case of Thailand our representative is the UK Visa Application Centre in Bangkok, for them to view the original document(s) and verify photocopies as being true replicas as the originals. This allows the customer to continue to meet the legal requirement of keeping their passport with them at all times whilst their application is being processed.'

Just goes to show that whinging about injustices does achieve results, despite what the nay sayers were posting on this forum.......

For now, there is still absolutely no notable improvement to the service!

Trendy does not answer emails, there is no other way to contact them apart from email.

I am still awaiting an answer to a request for appointment sent on Friday 30th May and re-sent on Thursday 5th June and I feel simply INSULTED.

(My first email was received and read and a receipt emitted. Strangely for my second email, that was not the case, but then I DID mention I had the read receipt to the complaints office at HMPO at +443002220000! (They were quite surprised and seemed annoyed that i had that!)

Can we sue? For dereliction of duty!

Edited by ubonjoe
Changed font size anf style.

Good News:

As of the 4th of June HMPO have moved the goal posts and now allow third parties to make the a UK passport renewal application in BKK.

Note the key paragraph:

You must apply in person. If you’re unable to, someone else can go on your behalf. You must bring photo ID with you.

This is a significant shift in policy and will save many of us a huge amount of inconvenience, as I suspect within 2 weeks there will be agencies offering just such a service at a cost which will out trump the inconvenience/financial damage of personal travel to BKK for most living outside of the capital.

Small comfort for the pioneers who have had to endure the original nightmare personal appearance condition that has been in place for the last 10 weeks.

It also represents a back down from HMPOs original rigid position, as posted below, which was written in reply to any complaints sent in about this unjust process.

HMPO Newport:

'In light of the challenges presented by local Thai law to achieve this applicants for a UK Passport in Thailand are required to travel in person to the office of a HM Passport Office representative, in the case of Thailand our representative is the UK Visa Application Centre in Bangkok, for them to view the original document(s) and verify photocopies as being true replicas as the originals. This allows the customer to continue to meet the legal requirement of keeping their passport with them at all times whilst their application is being processed.'

Just goes to show that whinging about injustices does achieve results, despite what the nay sayers were posting on this forum.......

Trendy does not answer emails, there is no other way to contact them apart from email.

I am still awaiting an answer to a request for appointment sent on Friday 30th May and re-sent on Thursday 5th June and I feel simply INSULTED.

(My first email was received and read and a receipt emitted. Strangely for my second email, that was not the case, but then I DID mention I had the read receipt to the complaints office at HMPO at +443002220000! (They were quite surprised and seemed annoyed that i had that!)

Just turn up at 09.00 one morning and create a bit of a fuss.

You will be seen.

Bugger Me again!

We then have to go back to the Visa Application Centre to collect the new passport.

This is a wonderful change for someone living in northern Thailand !

Yes, a fantastic system, particular financially ... I now some chaps in northern Thailand who got here at age 65 after their retirement in UK.

Their age is now above 80, their state pension has been frozen for over 15 years now, as a result their monthly pension income is poorly compared to the UK increased normal pension.

To travel from the far North, or the deep South, to Bangkok twice (in & out) is very expensive, hence the application system wonderfully messy.

Therefore HMPO should change the current messy system in order to show some respect for the Brits in Thailand that live far away from the capital of Bangkok.

• Like 2

Thanks but as we will be flying in from Chiang Mai, we don't really want to risk being rejected.

You won't.

You clearly do not understand how VFS operate.

There are numerous examples of people just turning up. In my case I turned up over 4 hours early and was seen immediately.

Bugger Me again!

We then have to go back to the Visa Application Centre to collect the new passport.

Yes, a fantastic system, particular financially ... I now some chaps in northern Thailand who got here at age 65 after their retirement in UK.

Their age is now above 80, their state pension has been frozen for over 15 years now, as a result their monthly pension income is poorly compared to the UK increased normal pension.

To travel from the far North, or the deep South, to Bangkok twice (in & out) is very expensive, hence the application system wonderfully messy.

Therefore HMPO should change the current messy system in order to show some respect for the Brits in Thailand that live far away from the capital of Bangkok.

There is an article currently running in the Daily Mail about the mess the system is in in the UK, while this issue is current has anybody thought of complaining to the DM about the situation in Thailand ?

Im about to send an email to book the appointment today, so its most likely they will not even reply?

I live in BKK, should I just turn up at Trendy with all the docs and photocopies etc then and see if I get served?

I read in this thread a few months ago that some kind of proof of residence here was needed such as a Thai driving license, I do not have this, the only thing I can think of is a letter from the school I study at as proof...

Good News:

Note the key paragraph:

HMPO Newport:

Trendy are just the post box, any problems/enquiries still have to be dealt with directly by HMPO in the UK (Helpline or email), these are the only communication channels available.

The HMPO website still has woefully insufficient information for applicants in Thailand.

Trendy do no reply to emails other than to re-direct to the HMPO channels and they do not have a telephone helpline.

To date, despite assurances from HMPO that this would be fixed a.s.a.p, no one at Trendy can read/write English well enough to respond to detailed enquiries, however until recently they were reasonably good at replying to requests for an appointment.

There has however recently been some significant improvement, in that as of the 4th of June a third party is now allowed to make a passport application on one's behalf at Trendy - for the last 10 weeks one had to appear in person which could have involved up to 2x 2,000 km+ journeys, accommodation, loss of wages, etc. - this in itself is a big improvement - however there is still a long way to go before the service is even half reasonable so we do need to keep pushing them hard.

Im about to send an email to book the appointment today, so its most likely they will not even reply?

I live in BKK, should I just turn up at Trendy with all the docs and photocopies etc then and see if I get served?

I read in this thread a few months ago that some kind of proof of residence here was needed such as a Thai driving license, I do not have this, the only thing I can think of is a letter from the school I study at as proof...

In the early days they were definitely letting people in who didn't have appointments, however recently they seem to have tightened up.

When I was there to apply about three weeks ago, their front desk security were really strict about admission and wouldn't let me through until I gave them my name and time of appointment which they checked against a list.

You will definitely require one piece of written evidence of name and address, a letter from the school you are studying at looks to be ok if it is in English(or accompanied by a full English Translation) and less than one year old.

Here is the list of acceptable documents I got from HMPO:

We have contacted our Liverpool Overseas Team on your behalf who has confirmed that you must submit at least one piece of evidence to confirm the address you currently use and it must be dated within the last year. You may choose from the following:

Tax record e.g. letter from tax authority

Educational record e.g. school report

Employment record e.g. official letter from your employer

A letter sent to you from a central, regional or local Government department

National identity card or equivalent (or colour photocopy)

Visa or resident permit (or colour photocopy)

Where none of the above is available consideration may be given to bank statements, utility bills or their equivalents.

Any documents that are not in English must be fully translated by a person who is registered to an official organisation or trade body for translators or employed by a recognised translation company. The translation must be attached to the original document and signed to confirm it is a true copy of the original.

Edited by digitalchromakey

Thanks but as we will be flying in from Chiang Mai, we don't really want to risk being rejected.

You won't.

You clearly do not understand how VFS operate.

There are numerous examples of people just turning up. In my case I turned up over 4 hours early and was seen immediately.

In the early days they were definitely letting people in who didn't have appointments, however recently they seem to have tightened up.

When I was there to apply about three weeks ago, their front desk security were really strict about admission and wouldn't let me through until I gave them my name and time of appointment which they then checked against a list.

You don't however need an appointment to collect a new passport,.

Best to have an appointment if you are undertaking a long journey.

Please note that the application rules were relaxed on the 4th June, so now a third party can file the application on your behalf.

Bugger Me again!

Please note that the HMPO application rules were relaxed on the 4th June, so now a third party can file the application at Trendy on your behalf.

When I was there to apply about three weeks ago, their front desk security were really strict about admission and wouldn't let me through until I gave them my name and time of appointment which they checked against a list.

You will definitely require one piece of written evidence of name and address, a letter from the school you are studying may be ok.

We have contacted our Liverpool Overseas Team on your behalf who has confirmed that you must submit at least one piece of evidence to confirm the address you currently use and it must be dated within the last year. You may choose from the following:

Where none of the above is available consideration may be given to bank statements, utility bills or their equivalents.

Any documents that are not in English must be fully translated by a person who is registered to an official organisation or trade body for translators or employed by a recognised translation company. The translation must be attached to the original document and signed to confirm it is a true copy of the original.

I can get a letter from the school no problem.

So are they not even replying to emails requesting appointments?

You will definitely require one piece of written evidence of name and address, a letter from the school you are studying may be ok.

I can get a letter from the school no problem.

So are they not even replying to emails requesting appointments?

Apparently not according to a recent report..

HMPO policy changed again, only last Wednesday 4th June, so maybe they were pre-warned and had been holding back on replies which have a list of application instructions in 'Tinglish'.

Maybe the only person(s) at Trendy who can 'sort of' write English is/are still tapping away with two fingers on Word as fast as they can, trying to make up a new reply email template.

Please do try emailing Trendy for an appointment - if they don't reply - then complain to the HMPO UK Help line.

Good luck.

They should reply if you use the correct email address:-

[email protected]

Many people have been just turned up and been seen. I am not saying I agree with this course of action but it is happening. Thais' reaction to any sort of confrontation and, what I sensed to be, paranoia about balls ups the new system has caused means they are trying very hard to accommodate people.

Just go straight to the reception desk on floor 28. There will be loads of people around but most are there for visas. Just say that no one answered your emails so you had no option but to turn up. Same advice for Tigerfish99.

Good News:

Note the key paragraph:

You must apply in person. If youre unable to, someone else can go on your behalf. You must bring photo ID with you.

HMPO Newport:

Trendy are just the post box, any problems/enquiries still have to be dealt with directly by HMPO in the UK (Helpline or email), these are the only communication channels available.

The HMPO website still has woefully insufficient information for applicants in Thailand.

Trendy do no reply to emails other than to re-direct to the HMPO channels and they do not have a telephone helpline.

To date, despite assurances from HMPO that this would be fixed a.s.a.p, no one at Trendy can read/write English well enough to respond to detailed enquiries, however until recently they were reasonably good at replying to requests for an appointment.

There has however recently been some significant improvement, in that as of the 4th of June a third party is now allowed to make a passport application on one's behalf at Trendy - for the last 10 weeks one had to appear in person which could have involved up to 2x 2,000 km+ journeys, accommodation, loss of wages, etc. - this in itself is a big improvement - however there is still a long way to go before the service is even half reasonable so we do need to keep pushing them hard.

You have never had to do 2 journey yourself.. You could send somebody else to pick up your passport when it arrives.. I was told this atthe Trendy on April the 10th... The new thing is letting someone go to do it for you..

Sent mine April the 10th.. Still sat here frustrated and angry waiting for mine to arrive

Edited by Huayrat

Good News:

Note the key paragraph:

You must apply in person. If youre unable to, someone else can go on your behalf. You must bring photo ID with you.

HMPO Newport:

You have never had to do 2 journey yourself.. You could send somebody else to pick up your passport when it arrives.. I was told this atthe Trendy on April the 10th... The new thing is letting someone go to do it for you..

Sent mine April the 10th.. Still sat here frustrated and angry waiting for mine to arrive

I think this latest concession is intended to assist those unable to travel, therefore at less risk of being stopped by police/immigration and being found without a passport. Posting a passport off to a mate or any other third party to attend Trendy on behalf of the applicant puts both the passport and the passport holder at risk of loss, theft or any other inconvenience that may arise by being without it.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Hmm..

Visited UK embassy Chiang Mai this week.

I was told to colour photocopy my passport (all pages) and mail to Bangkok along with supporting doc's.

Emailed HMPO & Bangkok HMPO - naturally, HMPO didn't bother to respond. Bangkok HMPO said:

"For information about supporting document please see the attach file.

You have to color photocopies of every page of your current passport and sign every pages."

I've just sent another email to confirm that it is OK to mail documents. See what happenssad.png.pagespeed.ce.5zxzyGiJz0.png

Since the 26th of March when Trendy started to deal with passport applications, they have not to my knowledge accepted forms/documents that were posted in.

I wonder if perhaps the British Consulate in Chiang Mai gave you bad advice, however the goal posts were moved again only last Friday, so maybe passport applications mail ins are in fact back on the menu.

Best you check with the HMPO UK Helpline (regular UK land line charge so can Skype for 1.4p per minute) if mail in is now allowed.

Please could you let this thread know the outcome - thanks.

Nothing new from Bangkok HMPO, but I have found someone who can submit my papers on my behalf; where does it say how this works? I was told catagorically by UK embassy Chiang Mai AND Thai immigration NOT to send my passport anywhere, and always keep it with me. This is just a fubar compendium of contradictions!

What date did your credit card payment go out ?

Mine was 16th April and I got my passport last week.

Have you emailed Newport ?

Hmm..

I was told to colour photocopy my passport (all pages) and mail to Bangkok along with supporting doc's.

Emailed HMPO & Bangkok HMPO - naturally, HMPO didn't bother to respond. Bangkok HMPO said:

You have to color photocopies of every page of your current passport and sign every pages."

I've just sent another email to confirm that it is OK to mail documents. See what happenssad.png.pagespeed.ce.5zxzyGiJz0.png

Since the 26th of March when Trendy started to deal with passport applications, they have not to my knowledge accepted forms/documents that were posted in.

I wonder if perhaps the British Consulate in Chiang Mai gave you bad advice, however the goal posts were moved again only last Friday, so maybe passport applications mail ins are in fact back on the menu.

Best you check with the HMPO UK Helpline (regular UK land line charge so can Skype for 1.4p per minute) if mail in is now allowed.

Nothing new from Bangkok HMPO, but I have found someone who can submit my papers on my behalf; where does it say how this works? I was told catagorically by UK embassy Chiang Mai AND Thai immigration NOT to send my passport anywhere, and always keep it with me. This is just a fubar compendium of contradictions!

Good point - the policy only changed last Wednesday and no one has reported having an appointment with Trendy confirmed by email since then.

Presume said third person must have all your application forms filled out including, colour photocopies, photos, evidence of address, completed payment instructions plus your passport.

For good measure, I guess that their holding an authorization letter signed by you for that said person to apply on your behalf, etc.

HMPO themselves changed the policy yet again, so I guess phoning the UK HMPO Helpline is the best course of action to find out more re the new process:

i) Complaining re no response to appointment request.

ii) Requesting info on the third party application process.

N.B. if there was anything (English prose wise) in your appointment email beyond a simple list of 3x appointment date/times, then Trendy probably can't/ have yet been able to read it - try re-sending an email with just the appointment list of 3x times/dates.

Do email separately re the new 3rd party application process, Trendy will probably just refer you on to email Newport/Helpline (Caveat! Trendy have always given the email address for Newport spelt incorrectly to date).

The second application email that i sent to Trendy that also contained a complaint about the fact that my first application (acknowledged: received and read) had not been answered was also forwarded to Newport.

I have received no reply and no acknowledgement from Newport that they have received a copy of this complaint.

This is a hell of a way of covering some civil servants backsides by not allowing for the issuing of email acknowledgements.

What proof is there then that there have been complaints?

As I also stated before, the HMPO phone complaint I made, while spending 30mn on the phone with the UK, could not be registered into the system, as "there was a problem with the computer system".

As I have said in other posts: HEADS MUST ROLL! AND LET'S MAKE SURE THEY DO!

I am using Twitter to pressure and lobby. I suggest others do the same. @KentBKK is the British Ambassador in Thailand, @foreignoffice , well we know what that is!

Anyone know the Twitter handle for HM Consul General in BKK?

Don't give up!

This is our birthright.

We have the duty and the right to demand perfect public service from the British Government.

Hmm..

Good point - the policy only changed last Wednesday and no one has reported having an appointment with Trendy confirmed by email since then.

Presume said third person must have all your application forms filled out including, colour photocopies, photos, evidence of address, completed payment instructions plus your passport.

For good measure, I guess that their holding an authorization letter signed by you for that said person to apply on your behalf, etc.

HMPO themselves changed the policy yet again, so I guess phoning the UK HMPO Helpline is the best course of action to find out more re the new process:

N.B. if there was anything (English prose wise) in your appointment email beyond a simple list of 3x appointment date/times, then Trendy probably can't/ have yet been able to read it - try re-sending an email with just the appointment list of 3x times/dates.

Do email separately re the new 3rd party application process, Trendy will probably just refer you on to email Newport/Helpline (Caveat! Trendy have always given the email address for Newport spelt incorrectly to date).

I'm going to get my wife to email in Thai - we need some clear understanding of what's supposed to happen, and you certainly don't find it on the HMPO website!

Christ - these idiots could f*** up a steel ball!

Would it be possible for one of the mods to create a locked sticky that concisely and succinctly states what to do? This could be updated as more information comes in.

I'm going to get my wife to email in Thai - we need some clear understanding of what's supposed to happen, and you certainly don't find it on the HMPO website!

Christ - these idiots could f*** up a steel ball!

Would it be possible for one of the mods to create a locked sticky that concisely and succinctly states what to do? This could be updated as more information comes in.

Maybe your wife will have luck enquiring in Thai..... however Trendy are just following set procedures laid out by HMPO UK.

Do understand that Trendy are just the HMPO 'Post Box' and as such they normally do not reply to any email enquiries other than to refer you to the HMPO UK email/UK Hotline as below:

Trendy's work is only to

I) Arrange application appointments.

ii) Collect the paperwork, purely checking that the relevant documents have been correctly supplied and filled out - but not verifying them.

iii) Post papers to HMPO in the UK.

iv) Receive new passports from the UK.

v) Contact recipient and arrange collection/cancellation of passports.

That's all they are paid to do.

If you have a passport application query please contact the Passport Advice Line 0044 300 222 0000 rather than the local Embassy, High Commission or VAC.

As HMPO make the policy, phone the UK Help Line, it's 1.4p per minute on Skype Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm (UK time) Saturday, Sunday and public holidays, 9am to 5:30pm (UK time)

@Tigerfish99

Never used twitter before, but just set up an account specifically for this. Tweeted:

@KentBKK Dear Mr Kent, please follow http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/713867-changes-to-british-passport-services-in-thailand/page-56#entry7947748 Total disarray - nobody knows how to process (renew) passport via third party.

Suggest others apply similar pressure.

The second application email that i sent to Trendy that also contained a complaint about the fact that my first application (acknowledged: received and read) had not been answered was also forwarded to Newport.

I have received no reply and no acknowledgement from Newport that they have received a copy of this complaint.

This is a hell of a way of covering some civil servants backsides by not allowing for the issuing of email acknowledgements.

What proof is there then that there have been complaints?

As I also stated before, the HMPO phone complaint I made, while spending 30mn on the phone with the UK, could not be registered into the system, as "there was a problem with the computer system".

As I have said in other posts: HEADS MUST ROLL! AND LET'S MAKE SURE THEY DO!

I am using Twitter to pressure and lobby. I suggest others do the same. @KentBKK is the British Ambassador in Thailand, @foreignoffice , well we know what that is!

Anyone know the Twitter handle for HM Consul General in BKK?

Don't give up!

This is our birthright.

We have the duty and the right to demand perfect public service from the British Government.

No point in emailing the British Embassy they abrogated have no responsibilty.

It is the remit of HMPO who come under the auspices of the Minister for Immigration, James Brokenshire. early posts cover email addresses.

I had no acknowledgement to my 2 emails to him although, an email I had from Newport confirming dispatch (not part of usual procedures) had my email to him attached!

• Like 1

It appears a strike is looming...... https://uk.news.yahoo.com/union-threatens-strike-over-passport-delays-083639888.html#n8XHDtD

That'll lengthen delays.

It just gets better!

UK embassy should drop exorbitant charges for emergency passport/travel documents accordingly. This is just plain disgusting - I left UK in order to be rid of this bureaucratic incompetence for good, but it appears the spastics will follow me for good (bad!). England, my England.

My wife just told me if I can't sort this crap out, I can live like Myanmar & just forget about it - she's serious; and this was before the above post.

<deleted> UK incompetence!