Changes To British Passport Services In Thailand

However, I am sure that anything you can find out from your 'contact' at the FCO about how the 12 month extension stamp/sticker looks would be very much appreciated on this thread.

I don't have any more information at the moment.

But I remembered that I do have a passport that was extended. So that might be an indication of the stamp and size.

post-44962-0-34730800-1403019599_thumb.j

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

However, I am sure that anything you can find out from your 'contact' at the FCO about how the 12 month extension stamp/sticker looks would be very much appreciated on this thread.

I don't have any more information at the moment.

But I remembered that I do have a passport that was extended. So that might be an indication of the stamp and size.

Very interesting - thank you for taking the trouble to post that.

Ten years and 11 months extension - could just do with one of those right now!

I had to renew my passport 4 years early. Considering a bog-standard passport only had 25 pages available for stamps, you don't have to do a lot of travelling to fill up the pages after Thai Immigration has stuck in your extension of stay and a re-entry permit or two each year. If, like many expats in Thailand, you live close to a border, you're very likely to be crossing over on a pretty regular basis. The fact that you don't know anyone that does so, says more about you than digitalchromakey's 'claims'.

Anyone with that travel pattern would probably have 42 pages available for stamps as I do, and I did have one or two free before getting stuck in Liverpool.

Only if they'd renewed their passport after they had established a need for a larger one. I've just renewed mine and now have 42 pages - just like you. thumbsup.gif

Also you are basing your position on the Thai visa situation and with people "crossing over on a pretty regular basis."

That's what folk tend to do around here. Obviously not in your neck of the woods.

I know none of them needed to renew early because the passport was full.

On a positive note, you know at least one now.

Must not let work get in the way of book reading then .

What's even more worrying is that when you get communications from HMPO there is always the sub message that 'things are improving' - reality may significantly differ from this.

The measures recently introduced may protect a significant number of near future applicants from the fiasco that many of us are currently caught up in, but in the short term will do little to alleviate the issue delay problem in the immediate future.

Now in place is free fast tracking for UK applicants with 'an urgent need to travel' - easily arranged by booking a reduced late booking holiday to create the 'urgency'.

For overseas applicants already in the system, our papers will be fighting it out now with a vast amount of free fast tracking, plus the inevitable upsurge in new applicants caused by the bad publicity last week, this only balanced by the fact that free 12 month extensions will somewhat reduce the rate of increase in the existing queues for overseas applicants.

My concern is that in the short term the delays will actually become significantly larger before there is any sign of reduction of the 480,000 back log, which according to the Guardian article HMPO only seem to be able to reduce by 10,000 passports per week.

At least the HMPO offices were tidy when this problem started, so hopefully they won't physically lose my application; although the last tracking email I got from HMPO confidently informed me that my application was now in Durham and would be with me within 6 weeks of my application date. Which is interesting because Trendy as far as I know only send applications to Liverpool and we all know someone who applied after 26 March who actually got their passport back in 6 weeks don't we ...........?

The 12 month extension would have been perfect for me, if only I hadn't tried to apply in good time........

Fate sometimes rewards the apathetic.

• Like 2

The scale of the problem is immense.

From today's Guardian:

"there were currently 480,000 applications being dealt with"

"New applications were being received at the rate of 150,000 a week, and last week 160,000 new passports were issued"

So, the backlog is currently being cleared at the rate of 10,000 per week. If things carry on like this it will take almost a year to clear.

Oh, and the least surprising comment from the article:

"The Passport Office chief executive, Paul Pugh, has refused to resign"

But he did apologise, so that's OK, then.

Source: http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/jun/17/passports-chief-apologises-backlog

Saw that on Sky news this morning. The video clip showed the backlog as predominently orange.

The scale of the problem is immense.

From today's Guardian:

"there were currently 480,000 applications being dealt with"

So the PM stated last week that there was a backlog of 30000 passports....

And 3.7million applications this year? Hardly surprising that 10% of the population would want a new 10 year passport at any given time, is it?

• Like 1

OK so I still have an appointment at Trendy for June 25th to renew my passport, should I go to this then and start the process or should I do the 12 month extension thing? I need to point out that Im applying for a new passport as the current one is basically FULL (half a page left) and not expiring soon.

The situation is looking really, really grim now, I have enough space for my next 90 day report stamp extension thing and then my visa expires mid October when Im planning to go to the UK for a trip and also apply for a new visa, Im wondering if Im even going to get it back by then now if I start the process now...

OK so I still have an appointment at Trendy for June 25th to renew my passport, should I go to this then and start the process or should I do the 12 month extension thing? I need to point out that Im applying for a new passport as the current one is basically FULL (half a page left) and not expiring soon.

The situation is looking really, really grim now, I have enough space for my next 90 day report stamp extension thing and then my visa expires mid October when Im planning to go to the UK for a trip and also apply for a new visa, Im wondering if Im even going to get it back by then now if I start the process now...

You can send it in and hope or pay the extra £128 or £137 to get the 4 hour service when you go to the UK.

You don't qualify for the extension and it won't help anyway. With the track record of HMPO I know which option I would choose.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

More details on 12 Month UK Passport Extensions:

As posted above, more details are now on the HMPO Website re the 12 month UK Passport Extensions and Child ETDs.

Basically the details confirm what has already been posted by Sometime woodworker

Here is the link and the text:

https://www.gov.uk/get-an-emergency-passport-extension-or-child-travel-document

Get a passport extension or child emergency travel document

Get a passport extension

If you’re living overseas, you can apply to extend your British passport for 12 months. Child passports can also be extended.

You won’t be charged any extra fees.

Eligibility

All of the following must apply:

• you’re outside the UK
  • you have a red passport
  • you haven’t already applied to renew your passport
  • your passport expired less than 6 months ago or will expire in the next 3 months (or in the next 6 months if you’re in or going to a country that says you must have 6 months left on your passport)
  • the country you’re in or going to will accept extended passports - ask when you make your appointment
  • your passport has at least 3 blank pages
Apply for an extension
  1. Complete the application form.

2. The service is by appointment only - phone your nearest British Embassy, Consulate or High Commission and select the ‘Consular Services’ option.

3. Take your passport, application form (and 1 other form of photo identification if you have it) to your appointment - parents can attend on behalf of children, and husbands and wives can attend on behalf of each other.

Your passport will be extended for 12 months.

Emergency travel document for children

If you’re the parent or guardian of a child living overseas who needs to travel urgently, you can apply for an emergency travel document for your child instead of a new or renewed passport.

What you’ll need

You’ll need to provide evidence of 1 of the following:

If your child hasn’t had a British passport before, you must also provide the same information you would for a first child passport.

Apply

You need to apply in person. Follow the steps for applying for an adult emergency travel document.

Edited by digitalchromakey
  • Like 1

More information from HMG

Passport extensions

British nationals living overseas whose passports have expired within the last six months, or are due to expire in the next seven months, can now have their passport extended for 12 months with an official stamp in their existing passport. This requires a minimum of three blank pages in the passport. Those who are eligible should contact their nearest Embassy or Consulate to make an appointment for this service. There will be no charge for this service.

Customers will need to bring their existing passport, and will need to complete an application form. Appointments are essential. We will check eligibility and confirm that the relevant country has agreed to accept passports extended in this way. Bookings for appointments are being taken now, and appointments will be available from 23 June, or as soon as we have received confirmation from the host country that they will accept the validity of passports extended in this way.

• Like 1

More information from HMG

Passport extensions

British nationals living overseas whose passports have expired within the last six months, or are due to expire in the next seven months, can now have their passport extended for 12 months with an official stamp in their existing passport. This requires a minimum of three blank pages in the passport. Those who are eligible should contact their nearest Embassy or Consulate to make an appointment for this service. There will be no charge for this service.

Customers will need to bring their existing passport, and will need to complete an application form. Appointments are essential. We will check eligibility and confirm that the relevant country has agreed to accept passports extended in this way. Bookings for appointments are being taken now, and appointments will be available from 23 June, or as soon as we have received confirmation from the host country that they will accept the validity of passports extended in this way.

I have confirmation that the British Embassy in Bangkok has already awarded appointments next week to apply for 12 Month Extensions, so Thailand is officially recognizing the UK 12 Month Extension.

• Like 2

Does anyone know what the last appointment of the day would be ? .. I asked for a late appointment, the Trendy crew seem to ignored all my of my 3 options and give me a 1.30 PM slot on the last option. Seems like the passport office cant meet the demand for passports in the UK and trendy cant meet the demand for appointments in Bangkok. I can see an ever increasingly expensive nightmare looming.

Edited by recom273

Does anyone know what the last appointment of the day would be ? .. I asked for a late appointment, the Trendy crew seem to ignored all my of my 3 options and give me a 1.30 PM slot on the last option. Seems like the passport office cant meet the demand for passports in the UK and trendy cant meet the demand for appointments in Bangkok. I can see an ever increasingly expensive nightmare looming.

Latest appointment time possible at Trendy is 15:00 Monday - Friday.

For completeness, the earliest appointment time is 08:30 am.

If you have three pages left in your passport and it's within 6 months of expiry, then go for the free 12 month passport extension at the Embassy.

Nightmare.

I gave up with the helpline as I couldn't seem to ever get through. The Newport lot answered my questions but took about 2 weeks to get an email.

Too early to think about replies to the 2 letters I sent off by registered mail. Due to system being a complete F...Up the last thing they will be doing is replying to letters from whingers, but at least I've done my bit. Haven't bothered applying in the end as there is no way I'm taking international flights to BKK "twice" to renew a passport.

Wonder how many other TV members have written? (Thanks for the address's Digi.)

Regarding the 12 month extension, I will try to get my girls passport extended here in KL at the Consulate (I expect they will tell me that as she is not Malaysia I will have to travel to Thailand to do this).

• Like 1

The quality of written responses is no better:-

My reply to Sally's fob off:-

Bullshit answer !

Stop guessing with the numbers!

What overseas documents - there were none!

I APPLIED FOR A JUMBO PASSPORT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS: My credit card debit was GBP 100. 70

I can now see that GBP 91 + GBP 9.70 = GBP 100.70

WHY WAS I ISSUED WITH A 32 PAGE PASSPORT ??????????????????

To: xxx

Sent: Wednesday, 18 June 2014, 9:47

Subject: RE: Passport renewal - xxx

Good morning
Thank you for your email, the charges are as follows
Overseas documents secure delivery £10.16
Overseas passport delivery £9.70
Overseas postal standard renewal £83.00
Many thanks
Sally Sparrow

Customer Contact Centre

Operations

Unbelievable; these Muppets have f..ked up time and time again, but rather than saying sorry, they just dig a larger and larger hole for themselves.......

Paul Pugh should be first against the wall and there should be a long line of civil servants and politicians to follow, it appears also including your 'Sally Sparrow' (probably a nom de guerre). who is evidently an innumerate, employed at HMPO, presumably under equal opportunities, to 'balance' out the overseas agents' lack of literacy.

Isn't anybody ever going to be held to account for this Fiasco?

• Like 1