Changes To British Passport Services In Thailand

How would a sticker appended to a full passport achieve the goal of extending it?

It is an Extension stamp not a sticker.

Fine. Now tell me, how does an Extension stamp make a full passport any more usable?

It won't and was not intended for that purpose. The numbers of people who renew for a full passport rather than for an expiring one are small. This intended for the vast majority of renewals. Edited by sometimewoodworker

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How would a sticker appended to a full passport achieve the goal of extending it?

Fine. Now tell me, how does an Extension stamp make a full passport any more usable?

It won't and was not intended for that purpose. The numbers of people who renew for a full passport rather than for an expiring one are small. This intended for the vast majority of renewals.

Does anyone here have any firsthand info that can be relied on?

I mean do any any of you forum experts have any sure and certain idea of what you can do with an extended passport? With some references please.

As I understand it, you can only use a passport with the new 12 month extension, to travel back to the UK. It is no good to go to a border and get a visa (or any other purpose).

Out of interest, I got this clarification for a border run with an ETD from the British Embassy:

'In case that you are going to a border for a visa run, Cambodia and Malaysia required for their Visa on the ETD but Laos and Burma are not accepted for an ETD. So please ensure which country you plan to travel for proper Thai visa as some countries quite restricted for travelling with an ETD.'

This appears to say that you can get a visa from Cambodia or Malaysia but not Laos or Burma. Yet, I seem to remember someone saying that they flew to Laos for one...

I have very little confidence in any info I get from anywhere.

From the guidance document

* Extensions may be made available to any British Citizen or variant passport holder e.g. BPP, BNO, BNSS etc. provided that they meet the criteria below. This will include those not just travelling to the UK.

So a visa run or other travel is OK

However as with an EDT you should check with the intended country, and indeed with Thai immigration if they will accept the changed expiry date of the passport with the extension stamp.

I don't know if this has ever been done before

It won't and was not intended for that purpose. The numbers of people who renew for a full passport rather than for an expiring one are small. This intended for the vast majority of renewals.

Well unfortunately HMPO/FCO got that one wrong, because a significant proportion of overseas renewal applications are from those frequent travelers with unexpired, but full passports.

I mean do any any of you forum experts have any sure and certain idea of what you can do with an extended passport? With some references please.

British Embassy only started accepting appointments for the 12 month passport extensions yesterday (16th June), but I have no doubt we will soon get some posts reporting experiences of said process.

• Like 1

As I understand it, you can only use a passport with the new 12 month extension, to travel back to the UK. It is no good to go to a border and get a visa (or any other purpose).

Out of interest, I got this clarification for a border run with an ETD from the British Embassy:

'In case that you are going to a border for a visa run, Cambodia and Malaysia required for their Visa on the ETD but Laos and Burma are not accepted for an ETD. So please ensure which country you plan to travel for proper Thai visa as some countries quite restricted for travelling with an ETD.'

This appears to say that you can get a visa from Cambodia or Malaysia but not Laos or Burma. Yet, I seem to remember someone saying that they flew to Laos for one...

* Extensions may be made available to any British Citizen or variant passport holder e.g. BPP, BNO, BNSS etc. provided that they meet the criteria below. This will include those not just travelling to the UK.

However as with an EDT you should check with the intended country, and indeed with Thai immigration if they will accept the changed expiry date of the passport with the extension stamp.

Thanks for that. A link to the guidance document would be great.

Does it say how big the stamp is? I have a few half pages left in my unexpired passport.

Why don't you contact the embassy of the country you wish to travel to and ask?

The stamp and details of it were only made available from yesterday so it is unlikely that anybody had made it a key part of their plans. In a week or two there will be people who have got and used it so that is when you will be able to get good feedback

Does it say how big the stamp is? I have a few half pages left in my unexpired passport.

I should say unexpired but now cancelled passport since I applied for a renewal...

I should say unexpired but now cancelled passport since I applied for a renewal...

If you have already applied for a passport renewal at Trendy then you are specifically excluded from applying for a 12 month passport extension.

The ETD, which has stiil to be paid for, is your only other option for travel until your new passport arrives (application - collection timescale is 7.5 weeks+ at present).

Edited by digitalchromakey

The stamp and details of it were only made available from yesterday so it is unlikely that anybody had made it a key part of their plans. In a week or two there will be people who have got and used it so that is when you will be able to get good feedback.

My visa expires in exactly one week. I need to make decisions today or tomorrow, so that I can book flights etc.

The ETD option will cost me about four hundred quid and take about five days travelling time. That will give me a mere 30 day extension, if it works. Given the passport renewal chaos 30 days may not be enough time. If the passport extension was cheaper and I could make a couple of normal border runs that would be great.

As to calling embassies... Does anyone ever get to speak to an intelligent person if they do this? In my experience it is a waste of time.

Also emails take days to be answered. The UK passport office has not even emailed me, though I was promised info about my application last week.

quoting digital monkey

'If you have already applied for a passport renewal at Trendy then you are specifically excluded from applying for a 12 month passport extension.

The ETD, which has stiil to be paid for, is your only other option for travel until your new passport arrives (application - collection timescale is 7.5 weeks+ at present).'

Where does this info come from out of interest?

quoting digital monkey

'If you have already applied for a passport renewal at Trendy then you are specifically excluded from applying for a 12 month passport extension.

The ETD, which has stiil to be paid for, is your only other option for travel until your new passport arrives (application - collection timescale is 7.5 weeks+ at present).'

HMPO re the 12 month extension and ETD

The stamp and details of it were only made available from yesterday so it is unlikely that anybody had made it a key part of their plans. In a week or two there will be people who have got and used it so that is when you will be able to get good feedback.

My visa expires in exactly one week. I need to make decisions today or tomorrow, so that I can book flights etc.

The ETD option will cost me about four hundred quid and take about five days travelling time. That will give me a mere 30 day extension, if it works. Given the passport renewal chaos 30 days may not be enough time. If the passport extension was cheaper and I could make a couple of normal border runs that would be great.

As to calling embassies... Does anyone ever get to speak to an intelligent person if they do this? In my experience it is a waste of time.

Also emails take days to be answered. The UK passport office has not even emailed me, though I was promised info about my application last week.

Presume you have already tried this, but you can Skype HMPO UK Hotline for 1.4p per minute.

They will confirm that as you have already applied for a passport renewal, unfortunately and despite the fact you are still holding your passport, you are ineligible for the 12 free month extension being thus excluded from applying:

Contact the HMPO UK Passport Adviceline

Telephone: +44 (0) 300 222 0000 Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm (UK time) Saturday, Sunday and public holidays, 9am to 5:30pm (UK time)

quoting digital monkey

lol.

I can spend an hour or two later looking for that document then.

Right now, I have a dental appointment which will be a pleasant break from all this.

quoting digital monkey

lol.

Right now, I have a dental appointment which will be a pleasant break from all this.

Try reading my post #1628 and it will give you something to do when you get back from the dentist.

quoting digital monkey

lol.

Try reading my post #1628 and it will give you something to do when you get back from the dentist.

Hey this is a great game.

All I need do is find the white rabbit and ask him where post #1628 is.

Anyway...

The drill is absolutely imminent and then there is that pesky thing called 'life' to attend to.

Later yall.

lol.

Hey this is a great game.

All I need do is find the white rabbit and ask him where post #1628 is.

Anyway...

The drill is absolutely imminent and then there is that pesky thing called 'life' to attend to.

Later yall.

If you can't find post #1628 you probably have difficulty with any forms from the HMPO website.

Still, you will probably enjoy the lollipop from the dentist.

Agreed. When I get bugged by a pesky fly, I find the best way to deal with it is; to swat it.

Edited by rbkk

I have got it from a contact in the forign office.

I will have to clear the release of the document. It was sent to me for my information. It isn't intended for the general public and I will not compromise my contact.

The size of the stamp is not given.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

I have got it from a contact in the forign office.

I will have to clear the release of the document. It was sent to me for my information. It isn't intended for the general public and I will not compromise my contact.

The size of the stamp is not given.

Soutener has already applied for a passport renewal at Trendy and is thus not eligible for the 12 month extension.

However, I am sure that anything you can find out from your 'contact' at the FCO about how the 12 month extension stamp/sticker looks would be very much appreciated on this thread.

I have needed to call both the British embassy and the Japanese embassy in Thailand and the British embassy in Japan, at each embassy I spoke to people who gave me correct (I don't say I liked the answers) information, so yes I got to speak to intelligent people.

I haven't tried email contact, but wonder why you are upset that it takes days to answer. If it were fast then they have too many people attending to email who should be working on the passport applications.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

Well, I found the post from digitalchromemonkey. Problem is, of course I have actually rung these people and talked to them.

The person you talk to cannot discuss anything except the passport application (no advice on visas). And when it comes to the application they cannot give you any info directly. Instead he/she promises to pass your email address to the relevant department who will email you within 72 hours regarding the state of your application. In my case, that did not happen. Six days on and still no email.

So I still have to decide if I spend a few hundred quid on an ETD or something like a thousand heading back to the UK.

Will ring them again, though I suspect the 'helpline' it is just a PR exercise.

Well, I found the post from digitalchromemonkey. Problem is, of course I have actually rung these people and talked to them.

The person you talk to cannot discuss anything except the passport application (no advice on visas). And when it comes to the application they cannot give you any info directly. Instead he/she promises to pass your email address to the relevant department who will email you within 72 hours regarding the state of your application. In my case, that did not happen. Six days on and still no email.

So I still have to decide if I spend a few hundred quid on an ETD or something like a thousand heading back to the UK.

The HMPO UK Helpline will, on supply of your first and last name plus DOB, give you information both on the general process your specific application status and timescales such as:

application received, paid, awaiting examination, in examination, issued to printers, etc.

Be persistent if they try to fob you off, they are definitely able to supply information on passport applications, but will not be able to advice you on any visa arrangements for different counties.

You should also ask for a Application/Tracking Reference Number which they will also give you - 9 digits, one letter which you can quote if you call back for further information.

Never had the 72 hour fob off, but have seen this retort posted enough times on this thread to know that it is often used.

I have always been lucky having called the helpline on 5-6 occasions already and found them to be extremely helpful - just insist but be polite.............

• Like 1

the ETD costs £95 or about ฿5000 though you may have travel costs, some do others don't.

Well unfortunately HMPO/FCO got that one wrong, because a significant proportion of overseas renewal applications are from those frequent travelers with unexpired, but full passports.

You have a different group of people you know than I do. Of all the British passport holders I know none of them needed to renew early because the passport was full. Those, very few, who are very frequent travellers have 2 passports. You may have been able to have had 2 too depending on your travel pattern.

So unless you have data to back up your statement I maintain that the numbers of early renewals is a small percentage of overseas renewals. YMMV. and clearly did.

I posted earlier in the thread about my experience with the Consular Section at the Brit Embassy in Bangkok (questions about an ETD). Sent them an e-mail on Saturday afternoon and had a reply before ten past eight on the Monday morning. Can't moan about that.

You have a different group of people you know than I do. Of all the British passport holders I know none of them needed to renew early because the passport was full. Those, very few, who are very frequent travellers have 2 passports. You may have been able to have had 2 too depending on your travel pattern.

So unless you have data to back up your statement I maintain that the numbers of early renewals is a small percentage of overseas renewals. YMMV. and clearly did.

I had to renew my passport 4 years early. Considering a bog-standard passport only had 25 pages available for stamps, you don't have to do a lot of travelling to fill up the pages after Thai Immigration has stuck in your extension of stay and a re-entry permit or two each year. If, like many expats in Thailand, you live close to a border, you're very likely to be crossing over on a pretty regular basis. The fact that you don't know anyone that does so, says more about you than digitalchromakey's 'claims'.

• Like 2

A friend of mine, UK expat living in Chiang Mai, recently had the following experience when attempting to renew his UK passport:

This is his story:

Preamble

I retired to Chiang Mai in Northern Thailand in 2002. My passport at that time expired in 2004 and after checking with the British Consulate here I submitted my application to them and less than 2 weeks later I received my new passport. The expiry date on that passport was July 29 2014.

March 21 2014 – British Consulate Chiang Mai

I had been advised that the system had changed slightly from that above in that I was required to present the completed application at the British Consulate for checking and approval only. Thereafter I would be responsible for forwarding it, via a courier service (DHL), to the Passport Office at Liverpool, and pay the costs including the courier return costs. As I did not consider this to be unreasonable I was happy to comply.

March 26 2014 – British Consulate Chiang Mai

I returned to the British Consulate with the completed forms and the requisite photocopies, only to be informed that the system had again changed since my previous visit on the 21st. It was now necessary for all applicants to deliver the application papers personally to the UK Visa Application Center in Bangkok and furthermore, when the new passport was received by the UK Visa Application Center the applicant had to make a return journey to Bangkok in order to collect it in person.

Not happy with this information, I complained to the British Consulate regarding the absence of advance notice of this change and was informed that they “thought” there may be a grace period and advised me to contact the passport advice line in the UK for further information. My main concern, apart from additional expense and inconvenience, was not so much the expiry of my passport, I still had 4 months before that expired, but my Thai (Retirement) visa, which has to be renewed annually, was due to expire June 12th and I did not want to run afoul of Thai Immigration requirements.

I contacted the Passport advice line in the UK and after connecting I was put on hold for 23 minutes before I hung up the phone in disgust. I tried again later and eventually made contact with a pedantic sounding gentleman who, despite his blustering, knew less about the new system than I did, he eventually put me on hold for 12 minutes while he went for advice and when he came back he told me, in a voice lacking any conviction, “if the Consulate said there was a grace period then go ahead and try.” This was not very reassuring so I returned to the Consulate and spoke with a senior member of staff who told me that I had been misinformed and there was no grace period, I was then given an email address to make an appointment for an interview in Bangkok. This was now April and I was still no further forward.

I sent emails to UK Visa Application Center in Bangkok on April 1st /2nd/ 3rd and 5th requesting an appointment before finally receiving a reply on April 7th granting me an appointment for April 22nd. In that period I also sent a request for assistance to UK passport office April 2nd. They finally replied on April 17th advising me to contact Bangkok (a little late!) I duly flew to Bangkok and submitted my application papers, there was no interview just a harassed employee who quickly reviewed my application to make sure it was complete, took my payment, gave me a receipt and said it would take 4 or 5 weeks. I then flew back to Chiang Mai to wait.

May 21 2014

Sent an email requesting information on progress, no reply.

May 28 2014

Sent again and received reply May 29th advising me to check progress of application by logging on to a web site. On entering this site I was immediately advised ‘This website is not available to people living in Thailand’!

June 3 2014

Informed Bangkok about website and again requested information; they replied that I would be advised when the passport arrived in Bangkok.

June 4 2014

Called UK passport office and was informed my passport was ready and should be in Bangkok on Monday June 9th. This was now very close to the expiry date for my Thai visa so I went to the Immigration office in Chiang Mai and explained the situation; they were sympathetic but could not be any more helpful than to inform me I would be fined 500 Baht (£10) per day for every day after June 12th until I produce my new passport.

June 10 2014

Again called UK (more expense) it was confirmed by another person my passport was completed May 29th and was ready for delivery. I sent another email to the UK Visa Application Center in Bangkok advising them of this.

June 12 2014

Finally received notification from the UK Visa Application Center in Bangkok that the passport had arrived and I could collect it anytime at their office. I made arrangements to travel to Bangkok the next day (June 13). I advised the Thai Immigration of the situation again hoping they may be a little understanding but they said I could renew my visa on Monday and I would only be fined 4 days overstay (2,000 Baht). When I collected the passport from the UK Visa Application Center in Bangkok they told me it had only arrived the previous day and what I thought was adding insult to injury was the fact that the passport was given to me still in the DHL envelope which I opened in the office and I wondered why it couldn't have been sent to the office in Chiang Mai or the Chiang Mai British Consulate.

The UK have recently reduced the costs of new passports, by the time I receive my new Thai visa this saga will have cost me close to 32,500 Baht (£600 pounds) in travelling expenses, phone calls and fines plus the hassle, worry and inconvenience that at my age (77) I could do without. I realise this is a very long story but I had to tell someone about it and once I started I couldn't stop.

TB

Not a long story at all. I have my new passport, and apllied with apprx 9 months left, ie I didn't leave things to the last minute (which I'm very glad about). Good to hear from new posters on this thread that can share their experiences. Someone and I can't be arsed looking for the post made a useful comment about fellow British people that were unaware of or ignorant about internet updates regarding the recent changes by not having a computer and not being members of TV. These people are the ones I feel for because they may well fall foul of the new system and may just about be scraping a living because of a frozen unjust state pension. Anyway, good luck to all. Chok dee.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I had to renew my passport 4 years early. Considering a bog-standard passport only had 25 pages available for stamps, you don't have to do a lot of travelling to fill up the pages after Thai Immigration has stuck in your extension of stay and a re-entry permit or two each year. If, like many expats in Thailand, you live close to a border, you're very likely to be crossing over on a pretty regular basis. The fact that you don't know anyone that does so, says more about you than digitalchromakey's 'claims'.

Anyone with that travel pattern would probably have 42 pages available for stamps as I do, and I did have one or two free before getting stuck in Liverpool.

Also you are basing your position on the Thai visa situation and with people "crossing over on a pretty regular basis." But most British nationals living overseas don't have that pattern of travel, some do most don't.

The arrangements are for the majority, those living in Thailand are not the majority.

Also as I said if you are filling a passport that quickly you coule be eligible for a second one, assuming you did get the bigger one in the first place.

Having made those points we can all agree that HMG & HMPO have both made a truly stupendous balls up of the whole situation. HMG is wriggling about trying to blame HMPO for a situation that is in the HMPO 2013 report with a warning that there would be 350,000 extra applications this year.