Changes To British Passport Services In Thailand

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi folks. I should probably update you about my experience getting the 30 day extension stamp for my 60 day Tourist visa in a nearly full passport (barely a quarter of a page free space for stamps) on a cancelled passport at BKK Immigration.

The fact it was cancelled (I didn't mention this) had no significance, as was already expected in this thread. The passport has many visa exempt stamps prior to this Tourist visa but the officials didn't seem to care at all. Obviously this is not a border so their priorities are going to be different. That was a relief to not have issues about that like I thought could be a possibility.

The officials were actually really nice (or just rather quiet), same as they usually are in my experience there.

As to the size of the extension stamp, the one I have takes between a third to half a passport page, bigger than I have room for. Lucky for me then that further back in the passport there was a 'free' page where a Cambodian full page visa had been where now is my extension stamp.

-

Unfortunately, despite that bit of luck I'm getting increasingly depressed about my immediate future here in Thailand. That's why I didn't post this earlier. It's depressing enough following this topic and trawling through the other daily horror stories about the visa-related crackdowns.

So if the following quote is correct I might as well not bother trying to stay legal in this country....

Rikki,

An ETD (emergency Travel Document) only entitles you to fly out (and return) to Thailand. It cannot be used at immigration to record a visa extension. Also worth mentioning that if you use an ETD on rentry to Thailand you will only be given the usual 30 stamp.

The highlighted part seems to mean that when I need to use an ETD at the end of my 30 days extension I will lose my 60 days Tourist visa 2nd entry (plus 30 day extension). Is that right?

My passport application at Trendy was 17th June and payment was deducted on the 20th. That means I'm only 4-5 weeks into my waiting period and getting only 30 days could leave me facing overstay.

I was hoping the 2nd entry of 60 days and then the final extension would buy me time to get the new passport and get onto a non-Imm B.

Now I'm thinking I might just have to quit Thailand altogether with the ETD and hope to get the new passport redirected back home, or to Vietnam or somewhere, wherever I might end up.

Please tell me I've read this wrong or that there's a solution to this....

If this British passport nightmare hadn't happened I'd have my new passport by now and be in the process of getting a visa to enable me to work and be perfectly legit on the correct visa as the Thai offical originally said he wanted when the crackdown was first announced (and indeed, as I was before I took time off for a few months which has now royally messed me up).

So here I am in limbo, unable to work because I'm supposed to be a tourist, even though I've had quite enough time off now and want to get back to living a normal life. I've had numerous offers of work recently that I've had to turn down and it seems this ETD is only going to help me leave Thailand and nothing more, because 30 days won't be enough and I'd be facing a desperate attempt at a second Tourist visa, thus back to back, with a history of exempts thanks to my (now) mistake of taking time out, right at the moment the crackdown comes into force proper.

Got your 30 day extension that's good.

Don't take Zonka's post as gospel, this was only a report back from what one local Thai Immigration officer stated on enquiry.

We have actual reports of posters getting visas put in ETDs in Australia , for example.

So I see no reason why you should not at least try an ETD, it should work by showing your old passport plus current visa at re-entry, along with your ETD.

Although the current crackdown climate may have a bearing on any attempt to do an immediate in/out on the second entry for a 60 day Tourist Visa.

Think you may well need to take a small holiday before re-entering, adds to the overall visa longevity period as well.

Again, see no real reason why you then cannot get a 30 day extension on a TR entry in your ETD.

You might be ok, good luck and please keep the thread informed.

Edited by digitalchromakey
  • Like 1

Fingers crossed for Monday Digi........ I am sure you will inform the forum.

(fancy that, fingers crossed for what should be a simple passport renwal - now a totally debased service from what was practiced out of HK previously)

i've heard it's now taking only 3-4 weeks to get a new UK passport from abroad..is that true?

No.

Unless they are now adopting a last in first out policy.

Posters here have been waiting 9 weeks or more.

Just got this email

-

Further to your recent enquiry, I can now confirm that your passport have been passed for issue. I have sent an email to the local services to advise. They should get in touch with you as soon as the passport arrive with them

Just to update. I received an email saying the passport will arrive within a week to the UK address I asked for. I'm don't consider myself to be out of the woods until I actually have the passport, but it is looking a quick turnaround for me. 17th June - 25th July, IF I receive it. Add on an extra week or so if it was to come to Thailand it's very good considering what others are going through.

I'm not suggesting anyone didn't do this, but if you are applying soon, get copies of EVERYTHING, and then get more copies of things they might need. The guy that processed mine at Trendy showed me some other applications that were missing far too many documents and this may be causing the delays.

If you need to verify your address, just get someone from the UK to send you a letter or parcel. This is what I used and they were happy with it.

Once again, I am not suggesting anyone didn't do this, I'm just letting people know what I did.

Pleased for you, it appears you might be close to having have received an almost second class UK passport renewal service.

However HMPOs handling of your particular case makes a mockery of their treatment of the vast majority of current overseas applicants.

Me personally, I am now approaching 9 weeks and sit just 11 days from overstay, with loss of extension , Work Permit, livelihood and family looming ever larger in prospect.

Now have got the message that my passport is ready for collection in BKK, going there by bus Sunday for Monday, hopefully to finally hear the fat lady sing.

However..........

Wrote to HMPO in April, concerned about the need for/ high personal cost of going on 2,000 plus km round trip, twice, to renew - HMPO reply - was basically told tough s..t, this is the way it is, no changes are possible to the procedures, whatever your circumstances.

Wrote to HMPO in May, concerned about obtaining address confirmation, was basically told tough s..t, this is what we need, with the usual list of government/commercial documents that are acceptable - no mention of private letters.

Wrote to HMPO in June concerned about the impact of a 10 week plus turn around on my ability to live here, was told tough s..t, this is the system and you should get your passport back after 6 weeks.

Phoned HMPO UK Help line perhaps 10 times, each time was told basically tough s..t, this is the system, your passport is 'in examination' and should be back in x, y, z, etc weeks well before you will need it.

Never have had one complaint from HMPO about 'missing documents' and was in/out of trendy in May in around 10 minutes - no problems with payment or passport cancellation - that was lightening fast.

What I would like to know is, what it is it that I and many other have to do to get other than the third class totally dismissive service that most of us have received?

In your case it was, I recollect, a change of travel plans along with your UK based family's intervention, others, it appears myself included, have benefitted somewhat by begging to the British Embassy/influential MPs on bended knee.

Broken system, please change it now!

...... and btw what about some compensation for the massive stress and inconvenience?

I for one will never forget this 9 week + living nightmare, which stands in stark contrast to my last then FCO led renewal in BKK, now 10 years ago, which took less than 2 weeks, was painless and stress free, also not involving any emails with only one phone call to BKK and my not leaving Phuket once.

Dig - I know that you have been a great help to many on here and huge kudos to you for that, but this constant complaining about going to bkk still puzzles me. You're an expat so you cannot be averse to travelling, Is taking 2 trips to bkk really that much of an ordeal and an expense? You're going to bkk not Australia, why is it such a big orderal for you? Serious question. I will be going to Mukdahan/Laos to get my Non-O soon, and quite looking forwad to the trip, have a mini break and get out of the missus' hair for a day or 2. What's so wrong bad about that?

Pat.

I am living in Malaysia, my girls passport is expiring and renewal can only be done inside Thailand. I have no idea of any third party that can do all this on my behalf inside Thailand, as well as pay the fee, etc.

This means I have to make international trips, twice, to get her passport.

UK Citizens residing in most countries in the world can do their applications on line and have the passport delivered to their door.

That, is the complaint Pat.

• Like 1

Each to their own I suppose, but a trip from Phuket to bkk is a doddle and very cheap, it just seems some are making a mountain out of a mole hill here..Dig says that he could also lose his family...come on!!

And no I am not retired, I will either take a day off, or work online if taking 1 lousy day off is such a catastrophe..

Pat.

I am living in Malaysia, my girls passport is expiring and renewal can only be done inside Thailand. I have no idea of any third party that can do all this on my behalf inside Thailand, as well as pay the fee, etc.

This means I have to make international trips, twice, to get her passport.

UK Citizens residing in most countries in the world can do their applications on line and have the passport delivered to their door.

That, is the complaint Pat.

Obviously that is slightly different as you are in another country. But aren't trips from Malaysia to BKK very cheap with Air Asia and only a 2 hour flight? So again, why is this such a huge problem for you? A lot of people here go to Malaysia/HK etc for a day or 2 for a visa run and to break the monopoly up a bit...it's hardly like your trecking off to South America..

I understand Pat, but wouldn't you wish for access to this on line instead?

My girls passport will now expire, I'm not going to renew it until this excuse of a service has been rectified.

My girls passport will now expire, I'm not going to renew it until this excuse of a service has been rectified.

Yes, there should be a better system, particuarly for those that are unable to travel for health reasons to bkk, at least now you can send someone else along for the pick up.

As it so happens I have a situation here, I wouldn't say similar to yours, as yours sounds quite urgent.

I have 2 young girls (Thai Mother) one is 5 who has been to the UK twice and the other is 2 who has never been to the UK. The 5 year old' passport has now expired, the 2 year old has never had one. I was conTemplating ( nothing definite) a trip to the UK with all 4 of us (money permitting) as I haven't been back for 3 years and my little one has never been and I have some family in the UK who have never seen her (my Mum and sister have as they were over in Feb this year) but it would mean having to apply for 2 more passports, 1 renewal, 1 new...with this current farcical situation I am not prepared to do it as you just know it will be a huge headache and I really cannot be arsed with it, so no trip home in the forsseable future for us.

Btw, why was you so keen to renew your daughters passport? Was you planning a trip home? Has she got a Thai PP? Both my 2 have.

Yes, there should be a better system, particuarly for those that are unable to travel for health reasons to bkk, at least now you can send someone else along for the pick up.

As it so happens I have a situation here, I wouldn't say similar to yours, as yours sounds quite urgent.

I have 2 young girls (Thai Mother) one is 5 who has been to the UK twice and the other is 2 who has never been to the UK. The 5 year old' passport has now expired, the 2 year old has never had one. I was conTemplating ( nothing definite) a trip to the UK with all 4 of us (money permitting) as I haven't been back for 3 years and my little one has never been and I have some family in the UK who have never seen her (my Mum and sister have as they were over in Feb this year) but it would mean having to apply for 2 more passports, 1 renewal, 1 new...with this current farcical situation I am not prepared to do it as you just know it will be a huge headache and I really cannot be arsed with it, so no trip home in the forsseable future for us.

Btw, why was you so keen to renew your daughters passport? Was you planning a trip home? Has she got a Thai PP? Both my 2 have.

Your thinking is totally wrong IMO.

You are allowing the flawed system to dictate your movements (or perhaps using it as an excuse to not to go to the UK).

You know the passports will be back within 10 weeks - plan round that.

You are doing 2 together - that must be easier and is coordinates the expiry date should you need to renew in 5 years time.

If your main objective is to visit the UK the just get on with it and book a VFS appointment.

I also have 2 daughters, both are UK and Thai citizens. The youngest (6) is with us, we are moving to Singapore in September and she will be starting a new school theres.

The eldest is living with the rest of our family near Korat and being cared for by my parents in law, she is 12 next month. Reason she is there and not with us is due to the fact she is severely mentally disabled, she isn't going anywhere in the near future.

This is besides the point, her UK passport is expiring and I would like to renew it.

If we were to visit or return to the UK, she would obviously travel on her UK passport and not Thai.

Your thinking is totally wrong IMO.

You are allowing the flawed system to dictate your movements (or perhaps using it as an excuse to not to go to the UK).

You know the passports will be back within 10 weeks - plan round that.

You are doing 2 together - that must be easier and is coordinates the expiry date should you need to renew in 5 years time.

If your main objective is to visit the UK the just get on with it and book a VFS appointment.

If I really wanted to go back then I agree I would make the effort, no doubt. But as I am in 2 minds and money is tight right now it's really not a priority. Hopefully will go back next summer and hopefully the system will be easier/faster by then.

I also have 2 daughters, both are UK and Thai citizens. The youngest (6) is with us, we are moving to Singapore in September and she will be starting a new school theres.

The eldest is living with the rest of our family near Korat and being cared for by my parents in law, she is 12 next month. Reason she is there and not with us is due to the fact she is severely mentally disabled, she isn't going anywhere in the near future.

This is besides the point, her UK passport is expiring and I would like to renew it.

If we were to visit or return to the UK, she would obviously travel on her UK passport and not Thai.

Yes, even if you have no immediate plans it's still good to have the passport on hand.

So why are you not jumping on a plane and getting it sorted?

Pat, do yourself and the ret of us all a favour and write a letter to complain to the UK Government, about the procedure. State that UK citizens residing in Thailand should have access to apply on line ( Its not as if the mechanism for this system is not already in place, I can apply on line from both Malaysia and Singapore, as long as I residing there).

If we remain silent nothing will change (it may not change at all, but we live in hope and have t push for it).

• Like 2

No time to be running around between countries just to renew a passport, now come on.

Anyway, I have complained that although the HMPO says it makes special arrangments for Ill or Disabled, they are doing diddly squat for my girl (a UK Citizen). The reason she is not living with us is due to her disability.

Yes it would be a ballache, I suppose it all comes down to how badly you want to do it.

As for writing the letter, I may well do that, seems unfair that you can do it on-line elsewhere but not here. I think it would be fair to say that I would be shooting from both hips in typical Pattaya Pat style, I would probably make the receiver start crying.

• Like 1

Pat your last sentence, just think about it.

"why aren't getting on a plane".

Sounds like you are willing to play along with it, are you serious?

If they said that all applicants must turn up at the office in fancy dress (only those fancy dress's that are in the list can be chosen) and do an impersonations of farmyard animals. Only those that meet a fairly reasonable standard of farm yard animal impersonations are elligible to submit an application - I am guessing you would be the first in the queue.

If they said that all applicants must turn up at the office in fancy dress (only those fancy dress's that are in the list can be chosen) and do an impersonations of farmyard animals. Only those that meet a fairly reasonable standard of farm yard animal impersonations are elligible to submit an application - I am guessing you would be the first in the que.

ha ha..probably

Edited by Pattaya Pat

If they said that all applicants must turn up at the office in fancy dress (only those fancy dress's that are in the list can be chosen) and do an impersonations of farmyard animals. Only those that meet a fairly reasonable standard of farm yard animal impersonations are elligible to submit an application - I am guessing you would be the first in the que.

I have no idea what you are rambling on about. No need to take it out on me just becuase you are all bitter about this. As I say, just hop on a plane and get it sorted, with the change in pick up rules youi only need to make 1 lousy trip, but no you won't do it will you, instead you are just sitting on here bitching about it all day long. Sad.

Make that 2 lousy trips Pat.

I have no idea what you are rambling on about. No need to take it out on me just becuase you are all bitter about this. As I say, just hop on a plane and get it sorted, with the change in pick up rules youi only need to make 1 lousy trip, but no you won't do it will you, instead you are just sitting on here bitching about it all day long. Sad.

Make that 2 lousy trips Pat.

Oops. I deleted that post as you said I had redeemed myself with post 2005. Anyway, best of luck to you mate.

• Like 1