Changes To British Passport Services In Thailand

Anyone know how good vfs are with contacting you that the passport has arrived from the UK? My passport was sent for printing on the 8th July and I was told it will take about 10 days for it to arrive in bangkok. Now we are on day 13 and still no phone call or email from vfs.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

just received an e-mail from Liverpool saying my passport has been issued and with you shortly. Does issue come before or after printing in the chain?

How long before it gets to Trendy?

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 7.5 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by parryhandy

I was told once it has been issued it takes 2 to 3 days for printing then 7 days for it to get to trendy. But now I'm on day 13 and still no phone call or email from vfs

Edited by moneypit

This is I'm scared of, that's just sitting at trendy.

I have emailed trendy but no reply and they don't have a phone number to call. I'm thinking of flying down there tomorrow or Wednesday...

Email this lady in Liverpoool with your reference number. She was brilliant with me and got the DHL delivery number for me with in 48 hours of me Emailing her "[email protected]"

• Like 2

I am sure this question has already been answered, but as it is an extremely long thread would some kind soul please tell me what paperwork; apart from the copy of all passport pages; is required to support your application.

Many thanks.

I am sure this question has already been answered, but as it is an extremely long thread would some kind soul please tell me what paperwork; apart from the copy of all passport pages; is required to support your application.

Many thanks.

Blimey.

I have emailed trendy but no reply and they don't have a phone number to call. I'm thinking of flying down there tomorrow or Wednesday...

Email this lady in Liverpoool with your reference number. She was brilliant with me and got the DHL delivery number for me with in 48 hours of me Emailing her "[email protected]"

Yes money pit

Take Franky Bear advice and contact Liverpool

My mates daughters passport gathered dust at Trendy for a month before anyone bothered to inform them that the passport had arrive.

Yes money pit

Take Franky Bear advice and contact Liverpool

My mates daughters passport gathered dust at Trendy for a month before anyone bothered to inform them that the passport had arrive.

Ok thanks Franky bear and soap for the advice, I will send off an email now....

Many thanks.

You could start here .. and work through the pulldowns like most folk.

You need an application form, a payment form, 2 photo's and some kind of proof of address.

i used my emplyment contract which seems acceptable as they have taken payment today, others say a letter from an employer. You might want to get a letter of confirmation from your bank, a utillity bill or a copy of your lease contract. Immigration will issue a certificate of residency, but this needs to be translated and stamped by a reputable translator ( is there such a thing in Thailand ? ).

Does anyone know how you pay the UK govenment from a Thai bank account ? I filled in my payment form with the requested details, i got an email a week later telling me it couldnt process the ammount. Kasikorn tells me that it cannot process the request and infers that its the fault of the UK government, they need to include an account number or some other piece of information to make the process more secure ??

UK passport is obviously aware as there is a paragraph in the email telling you to contact your bank to clear the payment before phoning them.

So how is it possible to pay with a Thai visa debit card ?

ETS: OK, I may have it, i need to apply for a K-Shopping card. Does anyone have any experience with this or do i give up and ask someone in the UK to front for me ?

Thai Bank Debit Cards generally don't work, as they are geared up for on-line shopping - you get an SMS, type in the OTP and bingo.

Problem is deduction/debit is made in the UK not Thailand - no mechanism for overseas OTPs.

Obviously proper Credit Cards or UK Bank debit Cards work, but several have reported that the Kasikorn Virtual Debit card works fine. You need some kind of Kasikorn account to get one, but it is a straightforward application process.

I believe they have changed its name to the K-Web Shopping Card.

Yes, thanks .. after screaming at the bank for 20 minutes after they informed me there was nothing they could do to honour a visa payment from a debit card.

I finally got through to the supervisor who advised me that i should simply apply for a virtual shopping card .. when i asked why i wasnt told this information 20 minutes earlier, he replied "well, my staff arent very good" .. TiT

I applied for the virtual card online on Friday, Saturday morning i got a card number, and expiry date, phoned them today .. worked no problems at all.

If this helps anyone .. As mentioned before, i arrived early at Trendy, they saw me an hour and a half early.

Worth mentioning, these people know sweet FA. Not knowing what was happening, i wasted 10 minutes outside standing in a queue for no reason.

I printed off a copy of the appointment email, showed it to the front desk who stared at it for 5 minutes then asked me the purpose of the visit and if i had made an appointment.

When i got the checking service, although i had completed the form i hadn't signed anything .. I signed all the passport pages, the girl 'checked' everything and gave me a reciept. I then asked if she required me to sign the application form .. Doh ! .. So basically, be aware these people aren't checking anything, my form could have easily been whisked off the UK without a signature.

I waited 3 weeks for this sub-standard service that could be just a walk-in.

Edited by recom273
  • Like 2

Does anyone know how you pay the UK govenment from a Thai bank account ? I filled in my payment form with the requested details, i got an email a week later telling me it couldnt process the ammount. Kasikorn tells me that it cannot process the request and infers that its the fault of the UK government, they need to include an account number or some other piece of information to make the process more secure ??

UK passport is obviously aware as there is a paragraph in the email telling you to contact your bank to clear the payment before phoning them.

So how is it possible to pay with a Thai visa debit card ?

ETS: OK, I may have it, i need to apply for a K-Shopping card. Does anyone have any experience with this or do i give up and ask someone in the UK to front for me ?

Thai Bank Debit Cards generally don't work, as they are geared up for on-line shopping - you get an SMS, type in the OTP and bingo.

Problem is deduction/debit is made in the UK not Thailand - no mechanism for overseas OTPs.

Obviously proper Credit Cards or UK Bank debit Cards work, but several have reported that the Kasikorn Virtual Debit card works fine. You need some kind of Kasikorn account to get one, but it is a straightforward application process.

Yes, thanks .. after screaming at the bank for 20 minutes after they informed me there was nothing they could do to honour a visa payment from a debit card.

I finally got through to the supervisor who advised me that i should simply apply for a virtual shopping card .. when i asked why i wasnt told this information 20 minutes earlier, he replied "well, my staff arent very good" .. TiT

I applied for the virtual card online on Friday, Saturday morning i got a card number, and expiry date, phoned them today .. worked no problems at all.

If this helps anyone .. As mentioned before, i arrived early at Trendy, they saw me an hour and a half early.

Worth mentioning, these people know sweet FA. Not knowing what was happening, i wasted 10 minutes outside standing in a queue for no reason.

I printed off a copy of the appointment email, showed it to the front desk who stared at it for 5 minutes then asked me the purpose of the visit and if i had made an appointment.

When i got the checking service, although i had completed the form i hadn't signed anything .. I signed all the passport pages, the girl 'checked' everything and gave me a reciept. I then asked if she required me to sign the application form .. Doh ! .. So basically, be aware these people aren't checking anything, my form could have easily been whisked off the UK without a signature.

Blimey, and they call me Victor Meldrew. When I was there I didn't have any of these problems, it was all very smooth and professional.

Don't just travel down to BKK on spec, it could be a wasted journey.

I have just collected my passport, almost 9 weeks after application (some strings were pulled even for this), pleased to report all was in order.

Will do a more detailed report in due course, only just got back after a 2000 km, 40 hour bus journey, not pleasant.

Me being me, I insisted on taking the DHL Envelope that my passport came in, trendy were quite keen to throw it away.

Lots of info, so it's worth phoning DHL first:

1) The DHL delivery is addressed to (your name with middle initial) UK VAC, TRENDY OFFICE BUILDING 28TH FL, SUKHUMVIT SOI13, KLONGTOEY-NUA, BANGKOK 10110 THAILAND.

2) The package has your phone number as well.

3) DHL Account number 185043443.

4) Trace enquiries [email protected]

5) Package is DOX, Sent from LHR.

6) From DDGS C/O DHS Global Forwarding, Danzas Houase, Dawley Park, Hayes, Middlesex, UB3 1HJ United Kingdom.

Good luck, for reference, I noted that trendy had received my passport package 6 days before they bothered to contact me to notify that it had arrived.

• Like 2

Two visits to Bangkok to get a passport that lasts 10 years is hardly an ordeal. I am due at "Trendy" in early August and looking forward to staying overnight. Until the Immigration was sorted out to provincial offices we had to visit Suan Plu, now that was agony.

Forced thousand kilometer trips is an ordeal, particularly if you're elderly or disabled, even if it is only once every 10 years.

But then it practice it isn't every 10 years. If one takes a trip or two abroad every year, even if just popping across the border to a neighbouring country, then the pages of even a "jumbo" passport get used up long before 10 years has passed.

You too might one day get old or handicapped. Have a little compassion for others.

No need to throw the old and disabled card. I know of ex -pat men in their eighties who would bite your head off if you suggested they were too old to do anything.

They still go to immigration, get Thai DL's, and visit home countries.

If you decide to leave the safety of UK shores all these factors need considering, pensions, banking, health insurance etc. Known as the "what if___ factor"

HMPO could be real <deleted> and make us all fly home to renew a passport. Good Morning.

Blimey, and they call me Victor Meldrew. When I was there I didn't have any of these problems, it was all very smooth and professional.

Just trying to help a brother out … It may help someone wanting to use a debit card.

Yeah, Trendy was smooth but not very professional, but why did i wait 3 weeks for an appointment when it was so smooth and efficient that i could have been told, just drop-in we have lots of space.

Why wasnt the girl on the ball ? This isnt a few satang down at 7-11, its an official document application service that was perfectly efficient last time i used it - but is now left to a 18 year old Thai with an English language qualification who will just laugh and shrug her shoulders if the documents are returned to me after flying 1000km to deliver them.

Over to you Victor ?

Yes, caveat emptor.

Trendy are just a postal drop box, they are not a checking service and will quite happy take documents that are incorrectly filled out.

This has already been evidenced on several occasions on this thread, they are not contracted to check the document's contents, just to make sure that you submit documents a, b, c, etc.

Trendy make no effort whatsoever to check if the payment details are correct, or even viable.

Edited by digitalchromakey

Two visits to Bangkok to get a passport that lasts 10 years is hardly an ordeal. I am due at "Trendy" in early August and looking forward to staying overnight. Until the Immigration was sorted out to provincial offices we had to visit Suan Plu, now that was agony.

Forced thousand kilometer trips is an ordeal, particularly if you're elderly or disabled, even if it is only once every 10 years.

But then it practice it isn't every 10 years. If one takes a trip or two abroad every year, even if just popping across the border to a neighbouring country, then the pages of even a "jumbo" passport get used up long before 10 years has passed.

You too might one day get old or handicapped. Have a little compassion for others.

No need to throw the old and disabled card. I know of ex -pat men in their eighties who would bite your head off if you suggested they were too old to do anything.

If you decide to leave the safety of UK shores all these factors need considering, pensions, banking, health insurance etc. Known as the "what if___ factor"

HMPO could be real and make us all fly home to renew a passport. Good Morning.

Anything for a good old wind up eh? 555

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Well after 137 days my mates 13 year old daughter as finally received her 5 year passport.

Her mother boarded the overnight bus on Sunday evening,arriving at 6 am went to the Trendy office and picked up the passport that took 10 minutes to collect,she then caught the 7 pm overnight bus back home arriving at 6 am this morning with a total journey time off 2,000 k and 36 hours without sleep.

Now the ONLY issue the HMPO had with this application was proof of address for a 13 year old child. To be honest i can't remember what documents they sent off as proof of address or if any proof of address was needed before these changes only to say that a fee of 125 pound was paid for a child 5 year passport that was the fee at the time. Paid in GOOD FAITH on the understanding that the passport WOULD be returned to the address that they had given all the time by DHL. Now common sense tells me that being returned to the address they gave all along by DHL would be proof enough of their address.

I know her father who was working in the UK contacted the HMPO NUMEROUS times trying to get any information on the progress of the passport.The HMPO had the email address of both parents and the phone number of the father.But the HMPO still had the cheek to contact the friend who countersigned the child's photo saying that if they had not received the information they wanted by the 20 th June ? they would consider canceling the application.

The HMPO sent two letters,the first one was a standard proof of address letter asking to have work records or tax records or Id cards or utility bills for a 13 year old translated into English.now I believe that the mothers proof of address would have been acceptable ,but that is not the way it came over on the letter that was addressed to the child's name asking the near impossible.

The 2nd letter was the same standard letter but this time handwritten at the bottom of the form it stated that if the school the child attends compiled a letter stating that the child attends this school and the address on record was of course the same address they had given from the start that they would accept this.Now what could' be more simpler than that,the school info was sent by fax and the original posted within 3 days.

Her father IN TIME was then told the passport had been issued and could shortly be collected at the Trendy office.

3 weeks later having had no contact from Trendy her father contacted the HMPO to ask "how long was shortly"

FINALLY nearly a month after it had been gathering dust at the Trendy someone bothered to contact them to collect the passport.

Now maybe Victor might think this is a smooth and professional service but my opinion is its a incompetent shambles

'Without sleep'? Hahahaha. She didn't sleep on 2 overnight journeys? Hahahahaha. A Thai woman didn't sleep on a very comfortable bus??

Ha ha ha, nothing like making things up to dramatise a story is there.

And btw, if you have been keeping up I took those initial words back.

PS: I've started to get very bored now talking about flipping passports, although I do understand that for some on here it is the highlight of their day, in fact this passport shambles is one of the best things that has happened as it has gave youall something to gossip about every day.

Well after 137 days my mates 13 year old daughter as finally received her 5 year passport.

Her mother boarded the overnight bus on Sunday evening,arriving at 6 am went to the Trendy office and picked up the passport that took 10 minutes to collect,she then caught the 7 pm overnight bus back home arriving at 6 am this morning with a total journey time off 2,000 k and 36 hours without sleep.

Now the ONLY issue the HMPO had with this application was proof of address for a 13 year old child. To be honest i can't remember what documents they sent off as proof of address or if any proof of address was needed before these changes only to say that a fee of 125 pound was paid for a child 5 year passport that was the fee at the time. Paid in GOOD FAITH on the understanding that the passport WOULD be returned to the address that they had given all the time by DHL. Now common sense tells me that being returned to the address they gave all along by DHL would be proof enough of their address.

I know her father who was working in the UK contacted the HMPO NUMEROUS times trying to get any information on the progress of the passport.The HMPO had the email address of both parents and the phone number of the father.But the HMPO still had the cheek to contact the friend who countersigned the child's photo saying that if they had not received the information they wanted by the 20 th June ? they would consider canceling the application.

The HMPO sent two letters,the first one was a standard proof of address letter asking to have work records or tax records or Id cards or utility bills for a 13 year old translated into English.now I believe that the mothers proof of address would have been acceptable ,but that is not the way it came over on the letter that was addressed to the child's name asking the near impossible.

The 2nd letter was the same standard letter but this time handwritten at the bottom of the form it stated that if the school the child attends compiled a letter stating that the child attends this school and the address on record was of course the same address they had given from the start that they would accept this.Now what could' be more simpler than that,the school info was sent by fax and the original posted within 3 days.

Her father IN TIME was then told the passport had been issued and could shortly be collected at the Trendy office.

3 weeks later having had no contact from Trendy her father contacted the HMPO to ask "how long was shortly"

FINALLY nearly a month after it had been gathering dust at the Trendy someone bothered to contact them to collect the passport.

Now maybe Victor might think this is a smooth and professional service but my opinion is its a incompetent shambles

'Without sleep'? Hahahaha. She didn't sleep on 2 overnight journeys? Hahahahaha. A Thai woman didn't sleep on a very comfortable bus??

PS: I've started to get very bored now talking about flipping passports, although I do understand that for some on here it is the highlight of their day, in fact this passport shambles is one of the best things that has happened as it has gave youall something to gossip about every day.

Could always have a bitch and moan about how hot Thailand is...but you already started a thread about that not so long ago. Going to really miss your input. Shame really, no doubt will have a laugh somewhere else on TV.

• Like 2

HMPO could be real <deleted> and make us all fly home to renew a passport. Good Morning.

Don't hold your breath, I think first it will two trips to Hong Kong, then yes after that two trips to the UK. They will probably have to do this to try eventually to try and recover some of the millions they have already lost on this current fiasco.

I am able bodied, not retired and have just got back from my second, 40 hour 2,000 km round trip, which included 1x 12 hour and 1x 13 hour overnight bus trips, plus quite a bit of wandering around BKK on public transport.

This, trust me, was unpleasant and you have to be out of your mind to think that anyone could 'enjoy' this chore or even accept it as necessary purely to 'prevent identity theft'.

10 years ago, the last time I renewed my UK passport here in Thailand, I posted the papers to the FCO (British Embassy in BKK) by EMS and got my new passport back within I recollect around 10 days - good service and totally painless.

This stands in stark contract to the f..king lousey apology for a service offered today by HMPO/trendy.

Yes we all know about 'what ifs', but sorry this apology of a third class service just does not cut it.

Every British Government has it apologists, but this shambles will take quite some explaining away.

The fact that there are British Octogenarians prepared to do this trip says more about the British Character, than it does about idiots who are running the British Government.

Was the round trip definitely 2000 km's? Just that you have never mentioned it before!

Glad you got the damned thing anwyay, but what are you going to talk about all day now??

Btw, did you not hve to go to the Brit embassy to get that letter for immigration before they transfer the visas?

Long distance buses are comfortable?

When did you last go on one Victor?

It's not quite the same as flying Club Class, I just got off one and trust me they are not particularly comfortable for an overnight journey.

If you do manage to 'sleep' in the slightly reclining seats, then you will be woken up every few minutes, each time the bus goes over yet another pot hole in the road.

• Like 1

It's not quite the same as flying Club Class, I just got off one and trust me they are not particularly comfortable for an overnight journey.

If you do manage to 'sleep' in the slightly reclining seats, then you will be woken up every few minutes, each time the bus goes over yet another pot hole in the road.

So now you're complaining about the roads. Jeez. But you're right, she didn't sleep a wink in 2 marathon journeys cheesy.gif

Edited by Pattaya Pat

Don't hold your breath, I think first it will two trips to Hong Kong, then yes after that two trips to the UK. They will probably have to do this to try eventually to try and recover some of the millions they have already lost on this current fiasco.

I am able bodied, not retired and have just got back from my second, 40 hour 2,000 km round trip, which included 1x 12 hour and 1x 13 hour overnight bus trips, plus quite a bit of wandering around BKK on public transport.

This, trust me, was unpleasant and you have to be out of your mind to think that anyone could 'enjoy' this chore or even accept it as necessary purely to 'prevent identity theft'.

10 years ago, the last time I renewed my UK passport here in Thailand, I posted the papers to the FCO (British Embassy in BKK) by EMS and got my new passport back within I recollect around 10 days - good service and totally painless.

This stands in stark contract to the f..king lousey apology for a service offered today by HMPO/trendy.

Yes we all know about 'what ifs', but sorry this apology of a third class service just does not cut it.

Every British Government has it apologists, but this shambles will take quite some explaining away.

The fact that there are British Octogenarians prepared to do this trip says more about the British Character, than it does about idiots who are running the British Government.

Was the round trip definitely 2000 km's? Just that you have never mentioned it before!

Glad you got the damned thing anwyay, but what are you going to talk about all day now??

Btw, did you not hve to go to the Brit embassy to get that letter for immigration before they transfer the visas?

Embassy was shut by the time I got there, only open until 11:00 for consular services, understand that it is possible to do this by email.

btw you can't transfer visas, only extensions/re-entry permits and entry stamps; for visas you show the old passport.

Dig - Ok, thanks. 'Visas' was just a throw away word, I couldn't care less what they transfer over as long as I'm good to go, although the less the better I suppose. No doubt that we have to pay for this as well. Ridiculous that we need this letter anyway.

Edited by Pattaya Pat

So now you're complaining about the roads. Jeez. But you're right, she didn't sleep a wink in 2 marathon journeys cheesy.gif

She is not Thai.

My missus is snoring before the bus has gone 5km!