Changes To British Passport Services In Thailand

Ah sh*t man, I've just spent the past 20mins prematurely celebrating in that case :(

This child passport was honestly the hardest thing I've had to put together since my dissertation.

It would be so nice if there was some kind of online progress checker. Or even a <deleted> acknowledgement lol.

• Like 1

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ah sh*t man, I've just spent the past 20mins prematurely celebrating in that case :(

This child passport was honestly the hardest thing I've had to put together since my dissertation.

It would be so nice if there was some kind of online progress checker. Or even a acknowledgement lol.

Sorry, we've been there, said that and we wear the shirts.

• Like 1

Can anyone here that's had a call from Trendy, put the number on here so I can call them?

More importantly have you first contacted DHL and where is your shipment?

DHelL?

would love them to ship to chiang mai for me( unless theyre trying to screw me for extra charges,import duty, tax tax etc again)

Should I call them now to see if they have something for me? I dont wanna go to Bangkok again if it can be avoided

Use their original Ref number, or my HMPO ref number?

Any phone numbers much appreciated

This is I'm scared of, that's just sitting at trendy.

I have emailed trendy but no reply and they don't have a phone number to call. I'm thinking of flying down there tomorrow or Wednesday...

Don't just travel down to BKK on spec, it could be a wasted journey.

I have just collected my passport, almost 9 weeks after application (some strings were pulled even for this), pleased to report all was in order.

Will do a more detailed report in due course, only just got back after a 2000 km, 40 hour bus journey, not pleasant.

Me being me, I insisted on taking the DHL Envelope that my passport came in, trendy were quite keen to throw it away.

Lots of info, so it's worth phoning DHL first:

1) The DHL delivery is addressed to (your name with middle initial) UK VAC, TRENDY OFFICE BUILDING 28TH FL, SUKHUMVIT SOI13, KLONGTOEY-NUA, BANGKOK 10110 THAILAND.

2) The package has your phone number as well.

3) DHL Account number 185043443.

4) Trace enquiries [email protected]

5) Package is DOX, Sent from LHR.

6) From DDGS C/O DHS Global Forwarding, Danzas Houase, Dawley Park, Hayes, Middlesex, UB3 1HJ United Kingdom.

Good luck, for reference, I noted that trendy had received my passport package 6 days before they bothered to contact me to notify that it had arrived.

I am just on 10 weeks and nothing so you must have jumped the queue. Looks like the sooner you complain the sooner you are dealt with.

Yes, I am pretty sure that the Consulate pulled strings in my case, nothing in writing to that effect however.

If it was one more week of delay I would have been on overstay, plus I now have to orgainse new marriage/work extensions, WP, etc - so it still will be a very busy week.

I strongly urge that you phone the British Embassy Consular Facility in BKK a.s.a.p. and ask them help ensure your new passport arrives within the next 2 weeks, explain that other wise you will be on overstay due to a full passport.

Good luck.

I am a great believer in process management. The variable speed limits on the M25 proved without doubt that erratic driving and lane hopping was a major cause of traffic congestion. In the same way way queue jumping has caused congestion in the passport renewal process. I am quite prepared to take my place in the queue and deal with the outcome. I fail to see why I should be penalised because others fell they should go first.

If I lose my extension and end up on overstay, so be it, I am certainly not going to lose any sleep over it. The fact that HMPO allows people to jump the queue is just another indication of how incompetent they are,

• Like 1

I am just on 10 weeks and nothing so you must have jumped the queue. Looks like the sooner you complain the sooner you are dealt with.

Yes, I am pretty sure that the Consulate pulled strings in my case, nothing in writing to that effect however.

If it was one more week of delay I would have been on overstay, plus I now have to orgainse new marriage/work extensions, WP, etc - so it still will be a very busy week.

I strongly urge that you phone the British Embassy Consular Facility in BKK a.s.a.p. and ask them help ensure your new passport arrives within the next 2 weeks, explain that other wise you will be on overstay due to a full passport.

Good luck.

I am a great believer in process management. The variable speed limits on the M25 proved without doubt that erratic driving and lane hopping was a major cause of traffic congestion. In the same way way queue jumping has caused congestion in the passport renewal process. I am quite prepared to take my place in the queue and deal with the outcome. I fail to see why I should be penalised because others fell they should go first.

If I lose my extension and end up on overstay, so be it, I am certainly not going to lose any sleep over it. The fact that HMPO allows people to jump the queue is just another indication of how incompetent they are,

I am curious, how on earth did variable speed limits on the M25 stop lane hopping?

Well it's your choice not to save yourself, however I had no intention of losing my Work Permit, Extension of Permission to Stay, or ability to work and run my company then provide for my family.

You are right in that what you call queue jumping (automatic fast track up grades for UK applicant with proven travel) has definitely caused further delays for overseas applicants.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but still, why should I have to shut up shop and lay off 15 workers, just because HMPO are incompetent?

When working I spend over 3-4 hours on average per day driving and am certainly at risk of getting caught in a road check, if I were on overstay.

I personally would not have been able to sleep having just become an illegal immigrant after 13 years in Thailand, thank god that's not going to happen now.

You fail to see why you should be penalized by my (maybe) getting a 2 week boost, well let me assure you that I would have done anything to avoid overstay, as I am pretty 'visible' running a business, plus I really hate being forced into situations were I have to pay bribes to the police and immigration.

Yes, I did everything I could to save my a..e from HMPO's bungling, so that I can continue to look after my wife and kids and if you don't like that well that's your problem, not mine.

Still think you should phone the Consulate, why risk overstay now if you can avoid it?

Edited by digitalchromakey
  • Like 2

Ah sh*t man, I've just spent the past 20mins prematurely celebrating in that case sad.png

It would be so nice if there was some kind of online progress checker. Or even a <deleted> acknowledgement lol.

There is, your passport is now 'In examination' and unfortunately it will be reported as being that for maybe the next 8- 9 weeks.

The very next stage that you can determine by enquiry is 'Passport Issued' (sent to printers) and will be then be available for collection a further 10 -14 days later.

No further information will be given out regarding your application status, unless there is an error in your paperwork, then HMPO will contact you for more info/papers.

Good luck, so well and truly welcome to the train wreck!

• Like 2

Good luck.

I am curious, how on earth did variable speed limits on the M25 stop lane hopping?

Well it's your choice not to save yourself, however I had no intention of losing my Work Permit, Extension of Permission to Stay, or ability to work and run my company then provide for my family.

You are right in that what you call queue jumping (automatic fast track up grades for UK applicant with proven travel) has definitely caused further delays for overseas applicants.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but still, why should I have to shut up shop and lay off 15 workers, just because HMPO are incompetent?

When working I spend over 3-4 hours on average per day driving and am certainly at risk of getting caught in a road check, if I were on overstay.

I personally would not have been able to sleep having just become an illegal immigrant after 13 years in Thailand, thank god that's not going to happen now.

You fail to see why you should be penalized by my (maybe) getting a 2 week boost, well let me assure you that I would have done anything to avoid overstay, as I am pretty 'visible' running a business, plus I really hate being forced into situations were I have to pay bribes to the police and immigration.

Yes, I did everything I could to save my a..e from HMPO's bungling, so that I can continue to look after my wife and kids and if you don't like that well that's your problem, not mine.

Still think you should phone the Consulate, why risk overstay now if you can avoid it?

You really are a massive drama queen aren't you. Man up a bit for heavans sakes.

Pattaya Pat is really Paul Pugh sat in an office in London.

No one else on this forum is supporting the present procedure and the need to travel the earth to renew a passport.

Can you show me where I am 'supporting' it?

You wouldn't be making things up now would you?

• Like 1

Good luck.

It doesn't if you can afford to keep paying the fines.

I strongly suspect that this is because most of the queue-jumpers will be able to vote in next year's General Election since they live in the UK (and here I'm talking about those whose applications are being fast-tracked so that they receive their new passports before they go on their hols). We long-suffering expats living here in LOS, on the other hand, are effectively debarred from voting in UK elections thanks to a crazy electoral system. No trotting along to the Embassy to cast our votes as in the case of virtually every other Western nation.angry.png.pagespeed.ce.Cla6z9sEn6.png

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

No one else on this forum is supporting the present procedure and the need to travel the earth to renew a passport.

And what a remarkable coincidence that both have the initials PP!

• Like 2

Can anyone here that's had a call from Trendy, put the number on here so I can call them?

More importantly have you first contacted DHL and where is your shipment?

DHelL?

would love them to ship to chiang mai for me( unless theyre trying to screw me for extra charges,import duty, tax tax etc again)

Should I call them now to see if they have something for me? I dont wanna go to Bangkok again if it can be avoided

Use their original Ref number, or my HMPO ref number?

Any phone numbers much appreciated

1) The DHL delivery is addressed to (your name with middle initial) UK VAC, TRENDY OFFICE BUILDING 28TH FL, SUKHUMVIT SOI13, KLONGTOEY-NUA, BANGKOK 10110 THAILAND.

2) The package has your phone number as well.

3) DHL Account number 185043443.

4) Trace enquiries [email protected]

5) Package is DOX, Sent from LHR.

6) From DDGS C/O DHS Global Forwarding, Danzas House, Dawley Park, Hayes, Middlesex, UB3 1HJ United Kingdom.

for all those thinking of going over to Malaysia to get a new passport, i've just recieved the following information from the British Embassy in KL:

"Passport renewals are now completed in the UK. The British High Commission doesn’t issue full passports here.

We may be able to issue you with an Emergency Travel Document, should you need to travel whilst your passport is away for renewal. Do let us know, and we will provide you with full information on how to apply."

so you cannot get a new/replacement passport in Malaysia..

for all those thinking of going over to Malaysia to get a new passport, i've just recieved the following information from the British Embassy in KL:

"Passport renewals are now completed in the UK. The British High Commission doesn’t issue full passports here.

We may be able to issue you with an Emergency Travel Document, should you need to travel whilst your passport is away for renewal. Do let us know, and we will provide you with full information on how to apply."

so you cannot get a new/replacement passport in Malaysia..

Under the current HMPO system you must provide confirmation that you live at an address in the country you are applying for a passport in, otherwise it's an ETD to get you home.

If you are a British Citizen living in Malaysia, then it's no problem to apply there (on-line and couriered to your home address).

• Like 1

Re post #2200

thanks digital, I saw that and tried the DHelL Hell pline but I have a bad skype connection and they obviously didnt understand what I said and put me on hold for 10 minutes

Edited by rikki

And what a remarkable coincidence that both have the initials PP!

Not guilty your honour :-)

Re post #2200

thanks digital, I saw that and tried the DHelL Hell pline but I have a bad skype connection and they obviously didnt understand what I said and put me on hold for 10 minutes

what is the number for the DHL helpline please ?

Re post #2200

From DHL Passport Package UK +44 1332 816951

Just had a reply to an email I sent to Liverpool this morning. They seem to be getting their act together.

me to overseas priority team 3 :

"is there anyway I can track my passport so I know when it arrives at VFS office in Bangkok. There have been reports of passports sitting in their custody for nearly a month because they never bothered to inform people their passports were ready for collection.

(totally unnecessary middle men)
many thanks parryhandy "

reply :

"Good Morning Parryhandy,
I have checked DHL and the estimated time for delivery to Local services is by the end of the day Fri 25/07/14.
Best Regards
Andrea"

Mrs A.Ascroft: Her Majesty's Passport Office | Overseas Team 3 | 101 Old Hall Street | Liverpool | L3 9BP

Re post #2200

02345 500 in Thailand

When did you apply?

I just got a reply to my email from 18July from the Embassy in Bangkok

I am certainly no accountant,but am I reading this correct.

On page 61/94 it states Passport outsourcing service charges

64,407 last year 57,337 does anyone know if these figures are millions

And if they are millions is the VFS the sole beneficiary or did other firms tender for these contracts.

As to pay a Mickey Mouse outfit like the VFS over a million pound a week ( up 500,000 pound a month over last year) for services rendered makes me wonder, if the powers that be invented the saying

"You get what you pay for"

• Like 1

Just got the phone call.

Can I fly to Bangkok without a visa(ie on old passport on overstay?)

Or do I have to wait until monday and bus there from chiang mai?

I dont know anyone in BKK to collect for me

And if I can get it tomorrow Friday,how do I stop the overstay? Just leave the country? without a visa?

Or do I have to go back to immigration and reapply there on Monday?

Can I just hop on a plane out of the country and pay overstay on the way, or is it more complicated than that?

Edited by rikki

I am certainly no accountant,but am I reading this correct.

On page 61/94 it states Passport outsourcing service charges

64,407 last year 57,337 does anyone know if these figures are millions

And if they are millions is the VFS the sole beneficiary or did other firms tender for these contracts.

As to pay a Mickey Mouse outfit like the VFS over a million pound a week ( up 500,000 pound a month over last year) for services rendered makes me wonder, if the powers that be invented the saying

"You get what you pay for"

Yes, it's 64,407,000 GBP.

VFS seem to have passport contracts in quite a few places, in fact they seem to be handling passports in pretty much al of the countries where they handle UK Visa applications.

They operate in 115 countries, so maybe they have an oar in up to 50% of all countries worldwide.

Difficult however to estimate VFS's slice of the cake.

DHL are separately charged and there is an additional header for distribution, other outsourced cost are also under separate headers, there's Dupont who print and Teleperformance who 'run' the UK HMPO Hotline, but there are probably others who hall under this header as well.

VFS and their ilk will I guess be getting the lion's share of this 64 million (remember that was mostly a gestation period last year before the monster was actually born in March.

At a super rough guess, it looks like maybe up to 40 GPB per overseas passport for outsourcing.

• Like 1

Just got the phone call.

Can I fly to Bangkok without a visa(ie on old passport on overstay?)

Or do I have to wait until monday and bus there from chiang mai?

I dont know anyone in BKK to collect for me

And if I can get it tomorrow Friday,how do I stop the overstay? Just leave the country? without a visa?

Or do I have to go back to immigration and reapply there on Monday?

Can I just hop on a plane out of the country and pay overstay on the way, or is it more complicated than that?

Good (you got the 'call')

I guess you should be able to use your expired passport for ID on an internal flight to BKK.

Overstay, you should get your extension/entry stamps transferred your new passport at Thai Immigration.

But it may complicate issues plus it will take you time to get the authorization document from British Embassy Consular Services, they close at 11:00 am weekdays for applications!! (neither HMPO or trendy can be bothered to provide this document). The authorization letter can be done via email/EMS, but allow 5 days + fro this route.

However, you were on a medical extension, so maybe you could swing it at Thai Immigration, worth a try.

Worst case, book your flight and bowl up at least an hour earlier than required for your flight, with the right cash.

Just emailed them and got a reply for an appointment. 14th August! Brilliant service! Not only is it taking ages for Brits to get their passports, it takes these muppets three weeks to even see you! Three weeks + 6 weeks minimum = 9 weeks minimum for a passport. In fact, they only count the application from when it's received at the office in the UK. So probably 10 weeks min from asking for an appointment. 11 weeks left on my visa. A worry I (and many others) could do without.

These morons should have 24 hour staffing atm and see people as and when they show up with the proper documents. Absolute disgrace. I can see me having to get a ETD and return to the UK. The passport will probably then arrive in BKK. Re-apply for a visa and return and hope that Imm are ok with it. All for what? Around 2k and a massive inconvenience.

Jesus, the UK gov manage to screw with your life when you're not even living there!

Heads must roll. This is not on.

Don't like to bring bad news, but based on actual current reported turn arounds, the minimum for application is much more like 8, rather than 6 weeks.

So with the trendy added 3 weeks, you are looking at a potential apply for appointment to collection period at 14 weeks - urghh.