Changes To British Passport Services In Thailand

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

do you think if i went to the police station where i reported my lost passport and showed them the translated document they could make me a copy of the original?...they should have a copy of it i would of thought

No harm in trying, worst case you could try to report the loss of the lost passport report, if you follow me.

just come back from immigration...they say i need a certificate from my embassy...im going to go down there tomorrow and try and get it..what ever it is..does anyone know what this certificate is???

It is a letter stating you got a new passport.

It's a form letter, you can request by email and the EMS it to your home address.

If you don't have time for this (3-4 working days), then by all means go to the Consular Facility at the British Embassy, but be aware that they are hardly open and close by 11:00am Monday to Friday for applications (collection can be in the afternoon 2-3 pm).

Email [email protected]

Telephone +66 (0) 2 305 8333

Fax +66 (0) 2 255 6051

Consular public counter opening hours: (Local time)

Monday to Friday, 8am to 11am

Consular collections only

Monday to Thursday, 2pm to 3pm

Friday, 11am to 12pm.

Edited by theoldgit
Unnecessary quotes removed

Bullet in mouth ready to bite, here we go again.

Applied for appointment at trendy to get two passports for my kids.

Emailed 5/11 asking for appointment, got Friday the 14th November.

Trying to decide if I can stand the 12 hour overnight bus trip from Phuket to Bangkok again or whether to fly/hotel - 1,000 THB vs approx. 6,000 THB, difficult choice as it will just be me.

Will definitely fly back as two more nights staying at the Hotel Bangkok Rattle Bus (on top of the 4 nights I've endured already this year) are definitely beyond my threshold of tolerance.

• Like 2

Yes it was, asked for times on that Thursday or Friday.

My current worry is that I asked for an appointment to make two passport applications, but the 'appointment' email says each appointment is only for one applicant.

Two applications should take them all of 10 minutes to process and they only have one appointment per half hour, so let's hope they are not funny about it.

Maybe they have even allocated me a whole hour.

Edited by theoldgit

Not yet.

I am going to try and do my good friend's boy's passport at the same time as my two children next week, let's see how trendy react.

Probably there are no agents yet is that the new passport collection being collected by a third person is currently allowed by trendy, but is not formalised in the HMPO guidelines.

I guess prospective agents worry that the door would get closed quickly once they had started to bring in clients.

HMPO wants us to 'show our faces' to help prevent identity theft - this was one of the backbones of HMPO's argument for change.

Edited by theoldgit

Trendy appointment letter specifically states thet you can get someone to present docs on your behalf and also collect.--requres photo id for presenter and written authotity from applicantto the named appl[cant..

Stated in guide lines for renewal of red passport,adult in Thailand--

Making your application

You must apply in person. If you’re unable to, someone else can go on your behalf. You must bring photo ID with you.

Edited by maccraw

Trendy appointment letter specifically states thet you can get someone to present docs on your behalf and also collect.--requres photo id for presenter and written authotity from applicantto the named appl[cant..

Stated in guide lines for renewal of red passport,adult in Thailand--

Making your application

You must apply in person. If you’re unable to, someone else can go on your behalf. You must bring photo ID with you.

The point I was making is that even though I asked for a multiple application appointment, trendy's 'appointment' email specifically states the appointment is for a single applicant.

(One appointment is only for one applicant).

What they don't state is how many passport applications a single applicant can make.

I am planning to submit the email requesting two appointments (one for renewal myself & one for 1st time child) soon. The reason is, of course, to save the travelling expense as I live in Phuket. Should I be allowed to put two requests within one email (i.e. to provide my three preferred dates for myself in the first paragraph and then my same preferred dates respectively for my child in the second paragraph).

Glad you are bringing up the number of passport applications for single applicant and hopefully someone can answer that.

P.S. I mean two appointments within one scheduled time.

Edited by theoldgit

When sending a message to Trendy when making the appointment application, what type of reply does one receive ...

Do they only confirm the appointment date, or do they also sent additional information about the Passport application procedure.

Fellows that have received their reply, please let us s know about it.

Here is the full text of the 'appointment' email (sent last week).

Dear xxxx xxxxxx,

Thank you for requesting an appointment to submit an application for your UK passport.

Your appointment has been arranged for xxth yyyyyy 2014 at nn:mm hours. ( One appointment is only for one applicant )

This is the earliest appointment that is available. Please e-mail us if this does not suit you and we will offer you a later appointment. If we do not hear otherwise from you within 3 working days, it will be assumed that this appointment is confirmed. Please note, if you fail to show up on the appointed date/time, you will not be offered another appointment for another 8 weeks.

Complete information about how to complete the application form and supporting documents required are detailed under the relevant country page of the website: https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports. The responsibility to ensure completeness and correctness of all application documents remains with the applicant. Incomplete applications will not be accepted for processing.

Please bring a printed copy of this letter and show it at the reception desk to be allowed entry into the centre.

Please note the following important information:

APPLICATION:

• Please be aware of agents/touts who may approach you offering their services. The Centre at the 28th Floor, Trendy Building is the only centre authorised by Her Majesty’s Passport Office (HMPO) to offer passport services.

• You should arrive no more than 5 minutes before your appointment time.

• We will screen, and search your baggage as you enter our office to ensure the safety of our staff and other customers. Please keep baggage to a minimum to help prevent delays.

• Only the passport applicant is permitted entry to the application centre.

• Kindly ensure that mobiles and other electronic devices are in the switched-off mode inside the application centre.

• It is not mandatory for you to be present personally to submit your passport application. You have the option of sending your application through your representative. However, the responsibility to ensure completeness and correctness of all application documents remains with the applicant. Incomplete applications will not be accepted for processing.

• You cannot post your application.

• Please note once you have submitted your application, you will not be able to travel on your current British passport. You may retain it for identity purpose.

• Kindly provide coloured photocopies of your passport. Photocopies of all of your other documents must also be in colour. Photocopying and photograph services are available at the application centre.

• While applying for or renewing your passport, the payment details are required to be filled into the payment mandate form. Details are mentioned on gov.uk website. Please note that payment cannot be made by any other means at the Application Centre.

• All documents which are not in English need to be translated into English and certified.

• Kindly ensure that your application is complete in all respects and do remember to bring a printed copy of the completed application form with 2 colour photographs.

• You will be given a photocopied receipt as proof of your passport application submission and also a DHL Airway Bill Number (for the courier to the UK ).

• The applications submitted at Bangkok, Thailand will be processed and considered by HMPO in the UK. This process may take atleast 6 - 9 weeks approximately, from the time the applications reach Liverpool.

COLLECTION:

• Passports cannot be delivered via courier.

• It is not mandatory for you to personally collect your passport/original documents that are returned. You may authorise someone collect your passport. The authorised person will need to present a letter of authority signed by you, stating the collector’s name and should present your old passport and his/her ID.

• When advised by an email from us that your passport is ready for collection, kindly bring either the email or your copy of the receipt of documents submitted, and show it at the reception desk to be allowed entry into the centre to collect your passport.

• For renewal passports, the old passport must be presented at the time of collection.

• An appointment is not required for collection of passports/original documents - they can be collected on any working day from 9am to 3pm at the application centre.

QUERIES:

• For any queries about your passport application, please contact the Passport Advice Line on +44 300 222 0000 and not the local Embassy, High Commission or Application Centre.

• Should you wish to contact HMPO at Liverpool, the email address is : [email protected] and the telephone number is + 44 (0) 300 222 0000.

• More information on HMPO is available at : www.gov.uk

GENERAL:

• We are committed to serving you with both courtesy and respect. We ask that you treat our staff in the same manner. We shall be constrained not to serve those who use offensive language or behave in an aggressive manner.

Please note this email address ([email protected]) is used only to schedule passport application submission appointments, and to advise you about passports being ready for collection. Queries sent to this e-mail address will not be responded to.

Best wishes,

HMPO Bangkok Officer

--------

VFS GLOBAL

EST. 2001 | Partnering Governments. Providing Solutions.

The Trendy Office Building, 28 Floor, 10/200 Sukhumvit soi 13, Klongtoey-Nua, Wattana, Bangkok 10110 Thailand

E mail : [email protected]

I emailed VFS about a month ago requesting a passport renewal appointment for my son. No response at all.

I am going ahead with Plan B which is to renew it at the same time I renew mine in the UK in December. I am in the process of confirming with HMPO that the stated 7-day Premium turnaround time is 7 working days or includes weekends and how the Christmas and New Year holidays will bugger that up. Also to confirm that if they balls it up and it takes longer, he can still depart the UK on his shiny new Thai passport even though he will have entered on his expired UK one.

From the appointment letter that digitalchromakey kindly share here, if you miss the VFS appointment, you will be blocked for 8 weeks? I must assume they will do that even if the current appointment time is only 3-4 weeks. How bloody petty is that?

Per an earlier email from HMPO, only adults can utilize same-day 'Premium' service. Any sort of kids passport action requires 'additional security checks' and can't be done that way, so his will be 'Fast Track' 7-day service.

Go figure: I am approaching 3 score years on the planet, leaving the UK in 1977, have two passports (have had such for about 20 years), lived in about 5 countries and probably on my dozenth passport renewal since I started working in sh!tholes like Iraq, Pakistan, China and Tierra del bloody Fuego (Cuba was awesome!) and I can get new passports in a few hours. My son will be 7 and has been to Britain twice in his short life but he needs extra security checks? I already told him that running off to Syria and joining IS is NOT an alternative to doing his homework. That should be enough no? I mean he only lives with mum and dad 24/7 (apart from school).

Never mind, I had a fast response from HMPO regarding opening times as follows, "Currently we are unable to advise on the office operating hours over the festive period as yet." and suggest I should call their hot line. There you have it, they haven't a clue what the Christmas holidays are going to be with only about 45 days to go but I should call at my cost so that someone can confirm their cluelessness over the phone.

• Like 2

Good to know that HMPO still remain incompetent.

I am really quite surprised that they don't know when they will be open over the festive season whilst, I suspect, that most HMPO staff have almost certainly already booked their Xmas holidays.

Still let's not forget that their only function as an organisation is to serve the public!

Muppets......

And beats me why kids' passports require "additional security checks" thus ruling out the 1-day premium service back in the UK in their case!

I can only assume that HMPO have somehow reached the conclusion that passport holders aged 15 and under are more likely to travel to Iraq and Syria as jihadists than those aged 16 and over!!

• Like 1

I know it is almost reaching the amazing 100 pages on this topic & I do still have one question...blink.png

I have sent email to trendy ([email protected]) including 3 possible dates (30 june 2015, 1 July 2015 & 2 July 2015). That was yesterday (Tuesday).

Today (Wednesday), I got the email from them saying the schedule for these dates is not available yet and I should send again in June 2015.

The reason I choose these dates is because of a special offer from Airasia. I already book for myself & two daughters.

So the question: what is the earliest date I can make the request for above three dates?

Appreciate the response.

Only trendy can answer that question, but they won't as they only use their email address for booking appointments and have no help line.

You could try applying for appointments starting two months earlier than your planned date, as you will not be further penalised by trendy for any appointments missed after 8 weeks.

Anyway, just say no if they give you a date and there should be no penalty which is only for missed appointments.

So it looks like you can find out the answer to this particular conundrum your self - please let the thread know as to what you discover.

Good luck.

I had an appointment yesterday at Trendy to renew my UK passport and was in and out in 5 minutes with every thing approved. Now just have to wait for 6 weeks or so for an email to go collect.

Quite easy really!

BTW for the proof of my address I used a copy of my last P60 from my pension provider and a copy of each of my Thai driving licences.

UPDATE

I have just received a phone call (14.30) from HMPO at Trendy to say that my new passport is ready for collection and to bring my old passport and the document I was given there with me.

That's just 2 weeks to the day after making my application.

How's that for service!!!

• Like 1