Changes To British Passport Services In Thailand

Still a ball ache and where is the "security" if a mate collects it and pops it in the post?

It seems to me that they're more worried about 'physically cancelling' the old passport which means cutting the corners off the cover page so 'everyone' knows it shouldn't be used as a valid ID document.

As it should be and probably one of the reasons the first thing they ask is for you to check the new passport carefully for any errors, quickly followed by requesting you hand over the old passport so that it can be canceled. If you don't have the latter, you sure as heck aint leaving Trendy with the former. Pretty secure I reckon.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Secure? The only security is to have the passport in the holders possession at all time. I was a soldier for 22 years and know quite a bit about security. Get real. It was a punishable offence to hand over a MOD Form 90 (ID Card ) to any unauthorised person or organisation.

• Like 1

Still a ball ache and where is the "security" if a mate collects it and pops it in the post?

It seems to me that they're more worried about 'physically cancelling' the old passport which means cutting the corners off the cover page so 'everyone' knows it shouldn't be used as a valid ID document.

As it should be and probably one of the reasons the first thing they ask is for you to check the new passport carefully for any errors, quickly followed by requesting you hand over the old passport so that it can be canceled. If you don't have the latter, you sure as heck aint leaving Trendy with the former. Pretty secure I reckon.

and that person doesn't have to be the passport holder, according to trendy, convenient, yes, secure no.

• Like 1

Secure? The only security is to have the passport in the holders possession at all time. I was a soldier for 22 years and know quite a bit about security. Get real. It was a punishable offence to hand over a MOD Form 90 (ID Card ) to any unauthorised person or organisation.

At the risk of being wrongly accused once again of being an advocate for HMPO efficiency... what do you guys want? You want to send the application online from your home?.. but some of you admit to being challenged with online applications never mind that they have decided that Thailand doesn't qualify for that service for security reasons. Then you want to post it from your home and wait for it to be posted back to your home? Where's the security in that? Your MoD regulation, if applied to the UK passport, would mean you would have to go to Bangkok or HMPO in person to renew... but some are physically challenged and can't do that, no?

Last year was a fiasco, no denying it. However, they have made changes to accommodate remote or invalided applicants as well as entertaining Thailand's laws that a foreigner must be in possession of a passport at all times while in the country. Thailand presents security, legal and other issues that they have tried to address and right now it appears that most applicants are getting good service. Despite a shaky start from VFS at Trendy, things have vastly improved. As late as October last year, I was still planning to do all 3 passports back in the UK. However, things improved and right now, typical turnaround is less than 3 weeks.

• Like 2

and that person doesn't have to be the passport holder, according to trendy, convenient, yes, secure no.

The security is in having the applicant nominate someone VFS acknowledge and agree is acceptable to file the application and/or collect passport through the appointment system. The ID of this nominee is know in advance and checked at the gate at the agreed time of the appointments. The new passport is checked while the old passport is surrendered and canceled. Both new and old passports are handed back to the nominee that has already been security checked in and out of a secure area. Lots of cameras there too.

My understanding is that this nominee procedure was developed by VFS to handle the issues the elderly or infirm have. Now it seems that it isn't secure enough for some who also cried about having to travel and do it themselves. They go further to suggest that VFS may be flaunting HMPO security procedures by doing the elderly and infirm a favour.

The security is in having the applicant nominate someone VFS acknowledge and agree is acceptable to file the application and/or collect passport through the appointment system. The ID of this nominee is know in advance and checked at the gate at the agreed time of the appointments. The new passport is checked while the old passport is surrendered and canceled. Both new and old passports are handed back to the nominee that has already been security checked in and out of a secure area. Lots of cameras there too.

My understanding is that this nominee procedure was developed by VFS to handle the issues the elderly or infirm have. Now it seems that it isn't secure enough for some who also cried about having to travel and do it themselves. They go further to suggest that VFS may be flaunting HMPO security procedures by doing the elderly and infirm a favour.

HMPO application notes on Thailand HMPO webpage:

Getting your passport

Your passport will be delivered to the UK Visa Application Centre where you applied - you must collect it in person

I certainly personally prefer the current process to what was served up last March 2014.

However, what security - the third party could potentially be a fraudster or a passport thief, how do the current security checks prevent this?

The current process, more convenient though it is, could possibly facilitate an 'Identity Theft application', which directly contradicts HMPO's rationale for introducing local direct application for Thailand.

My point is, that being the case, then why not allow on line applications, since HMPO now already formally allow third party applications for Thailand?

What's the difference, other than the current potential inconvenience/unreasonable costs for passport applicants?

• Like 1

At the risk of being wrongly accused once again of being an advocate for HMPO efficiency... what do you guys want? You want to send the application online from your home?.. but some of you admit to being challenged with online applications never mind that they have decided that Thailand doesn't qualify for that service for security reasons. Then you want to post it from your home and wait for it to be posted back to your home? Where's the security in that? Your MoD regulation, if applied to the UK passport, would mean you would have to go to Bangkok or HMPO in person to renew... but some are physically challenged and can't do that, no?

Last year was a fiasco, no denying it. However, they have made changes to accommodate remote or invalided applicants as well as entertaining Thailand's laws that a foreigner must be in possession of a passport at all times while in the country. Thailand presents security, legal and other issues that they have tried to address and right now it appears that most applicants are getting good service. Despite a shaky start from VFS at Trendy, things have vastly improved. As late as October last year, I was still planning to do all 3 passports back in the UK. However, things improved and right now, typical turnaround is less than 3 weeks.

Roflmao

• Like 1

If I can bank safely and secrely online then I'm sure it is possible to renew a passport online. Home delivery by courier preferred or collection from VFS if absolutely necessary. Anyone unable to work online for whatever reason should be able to get help from friends or family. If not, then they are sadly, probably a lost cause.

• Like 2

I certainly personally prefer the current process to what was served up last March 2014.

However, what security - the third party could potentially be a fraudster or a passport thief, how do the current security checks prevent this?

The current process, more convenient though it is, could possibly facilitate an 'Identity Theft application', which directly contradicts HMPO's rationale for introducing local direct application for Thailand.

My point is, that being the case, then why not allow on line applications, since HMPO now already formally allow third party applications for Thailand?

What's the difference, other than the current potential inconvenience/unreasonable costs for passport applicants?

To maintain security, any nominee should be someone known by the applicant with ID verified beforehand, someone along the lines of the fellow UK citizen that may be needed for certain countersignatory work? This 'third party' could be a fraudster if the applicant is using an agency or someone he doesn't know from Adam. That risk needs to be assessed by the applicant over any convenience. If there was no security at all, there would be countless agencies springing up overnight in Chiang Mai and elsewhere offering to get your new passport for you. An earlier post, possibly in a related thread (?) indicated that a Pattaya visa agency that initially advertised as being capable of handling UK passport renewals quickly folded that business venture. Maybe it wasn't worth it, too difficult or maybe just not allowed.

The scenario of ID theft during a UK passport renewal would firstly entail someone fraudulently obtaining a valid passport that is either full or near expiration and forging a bunch of documents that is required to support the application, including a credit card for payment, letters of domicile, photographs, etc.. Then they would need to forge letters of introduction from the 'applicant' to set themselves up as the nominee replete with their own, fake thus unverifiable personal ID. Then they would need to run the gauntlet twice at VFS. Plausible? I doubt it. Since stolen and lost passports are more likely to be reported quite quickly, I would think if someone wanted to filch a UK passport, it would be, faster, easier and probably cheaper in the long run to have one stolen or maybe see who's short of funds down Khaosan Road.

Anyway, I fully agree that the online application procedure be enabled just on the volume of applicants living in Thailand. My reading of this labyrinthine thread is that only applications submitted electronically online are 100% track-able online. Those tendered by VFS here and elsewhere are only track-able on the submission side and very difficult to track once 'in the system'. I know, I tried and succeeded up to a point.

If I can bank safely and secrely online then I'm sure it is possible to renew a passport online. Home delivery by courier preferred or collection from VFS if absolutely necessary.

Anyone unable to work online for whatever reason should be able to get help from friends or family.

Total and 100% agreement from me. Absolutely no argument there.

If not, then they are sadly, probably a lost cause.

Oh dear.

Edited by NanLaew

soap and OJAS haven't liked this (so far)

Another happy customer in 2015!

Pity there isn't a facility on here for "unliking" posts such all of NanLaew's - which I hereby so declare!

Hey there... don't you know there's the 'Ignore' button, right here on TV? It will make me and all my insightful and factual information, friendly advice, fresh, first-hand experiences and opinions all miraculously go away just for you.

PM me if you need help with this.

If I can bank safely and secrely online then I'm sure it is possible to renew a passport online. Home delivery by courier preferred or collection from VFS if absolutely necessary.

Anyone unable to work online for whatever reason should be able to get help from friends or family.

Total and 100% agreement from me. Absolutely no argument there.

If not, then they are sadly, probably a lost cause.

Oh dear.

Oh dear indeed.

• Like 1

Hey there... don't you know there's the 'Ignore' button, right here on TV? It will make me and all my insightful and factual information, friendly advice, fresh, first-hand experiences and opinions all miraculously go away just for you.

PM me if you need help with this.

I'm well aware of this easy-peasy facility, thanks. matey, and have now applied it in your case. Now if only your bosom pals at HMPO were to make the passport renewal process similarly easy-peasy........

• Like 1

To maintain security, any nominee should be someone known by the applicant with ID verified beforehand, someone along the lines of the fellow UK citizen that may be needed for certain countersignatory work? This 'third party' could be a fraudster if the applicant is using an agency or someone he doesn't know from Adam. That risk needs to be assessed by the applicant over any convenience. If there was no security at all, there would be countless agencies springing up overnight in Chiang Mai and elsewhere offering to get your new passport for you. An earlier post, possibly in a related thread (?) indicated that a Pattaya visa agency that initially advertised as being capable of handling UK passport renewals quickly folded that business venture. Maybe it wasn't worth it, too difficult or maybe just not allowed.

The scenario of ID theft during a UK passport renewal would firstly entail someone fraudulently obtaining a valid passport that is either full or near expiration and forging a bunch of documents that is required to support the application, including a credit card for payment, letters of domicile, photographs, etc.. Then they would need to forge letters of introduction from the 'applicant' to set themselves up as the nominee replete with their own, fake thus unverifiable personal ID. Then they would need to run the gauntlet twice at VFS. Plausible? I doubt it. Since stolen and lost passports are more likely to be reported quite quickly, I would think if someone wanted to filch a UK passport, it would be, faster, easier and probably cheaper in the long run to have one stolen or maybe see who's short of funds down Khaosan Road.

Anyway, I fully agree that the online application procedure be enabled just on the volume of applicants living in Thailand. My reading of this labyrinthine thread is that only applications submitted electronically online are 100% track-able online. Those tendered by VFS here and elsewhere are only track-able on the submission side and very difficult to track once 'in the system'. I know, I tried and succeeded up to a point.

Pleased you agree that the service is still open to significant improvement (you state that you fully support establishment of online application/full tracking), ergo its is not yet 'there' as a 21st Century passport renewal service for citizens of a first world country.

There is no current requirement (stated or actually requested) for a 'third party agent' to prove any relationship to the actual passport applicant; purely a signed letter of authorisation plus 'third party agent' photo ID need to be produced, along with the passport to be replaced.

Also there is no current requirement to show any relationship between the passport applicant and the person actually paying by credit card.

Rules of this forum do not permit discussion per se of illegal activities, so I cannot (and anyway should not) outline how an ID theft could be committed, but I certainly believe that the current passport application processes potentially allow for just this to happen.

Edited by digitalchromakey
  • Like 1

Does anyone know if they will reject my application form if I fill it in by computer in black ink? As we are talking anal here, I know it says using a black biro on the form, but my hand writing is attrocious (as is my spelling of atrocious) and I find filling in PDF's much faster using a computer. So has anyone been rejected for this or will I be the first next week??

The advice note in the margin states 'Use Black Biro Only' I suspect that a printed form would certainlybe rejected.

Next line states 'Please write only within the white boxes'...

I think that you are going to have to fill out the form by hand, but there is nothing stopping you from getting someone else to fill it out then you just sign.

I can confirm that a printed application is rejected by VFS Global staff today and they happily handed over a new blank form for me to write by hand. They said it would be rejected in Liverpool otherwise. The VFS officer also had to fill his form used for the application by hand. As we both made fck ups during the hand writing and we both resorted to using liquid paper (tipex) correction fluid on the forms to correct the errors. Such has been the progress since I last got a passport 10 years back at the British Embassy!

That said the service at Trendy was great, in-out on schedule with no one around hanging in long queues, albeit a long wait to get an appointment 8 days after applying.

They told me it takes 6-12 weeks to get the new passport back, and couldn't be more precise than that. Maybe I'll get it in 17 days like an earlier poster. No one seemed to have a clue.

Does anyone know if they will reject my application form if I fill it in by computer in black ink? As we are talking anal here, I know it says using a black biro on the form, but my hand writing is attrocious (as is my spelling of atrocious) and I find filling in PDF's much faster using a computer. So has anyone been rejected for this or will I be the first next week??

The advice note in the margin states 'Use Black Biro Only' I suspect that a printed form would certainlybe rejected.

Next line states 'Please write only within the white boxes'...

I think that you are going to have to fill out the form by hand, but there is nothing stopping you from getting someone else to fill it out then you just sign.

I can confirm that a printed application is rejected by VFS Global staff today and they happily handed over a new blank form for me to write by hand. They said it would be rejected in Liverpool otherwise. The VFS officer also had to fill his form used for the application by hand. As we both made fck ups during the hand writing and we both resorted to using liquid paper (tipex) correction fluid on the forms to correct the errors. Such has been the progress since I last got a passport 10 years back at the British Embassy!

That said the service at Trendy was great, in-out on schedule with no one around hanging in long queues, albeit a long wait to get an appointment 8 days after applying.

They told me it takes 6-12 weeks to get the new passport back, and couldn't be more precise than that. Maybe I'll get it in 17 days like an earlier poster. No one seemed to have a clue.

Thanks for the update confirming that computer printed application forms will be rejected.

Also, just a little bit worried because the accompanying application notes also state that:

I’ve made a mistake on the form, what should I do?

Cross out any mistakes.

Do not use correction fluid.

If you make more than three mistakes on any line or do not provide a clear signature in section 9, you will need to fill in a new form.

Hope this doesn't become an issue for you.

Bad handwriting leads to mistakes! Anyone having their application rejected should at the very least insist that their original be sent to HMPO so that they may use it to decipher a badly written form. I would robustly complain if this happened to me.

• Like 1

Also, just a little bit worried because the accompanying application notes also state that:

Cross out any mistakes.

If you make more than three mistakes on any line or do not provide a clear signature in section 9, you will need to fill in a new form.

Interesting, I hadn't noticed that. It was only one mistake per line but when I asked the VFS officer if I could cross out/sign as I might normally do, he bought the tipex out. So if it is an issue I will seriously get up VFS about it. They seem like a friendly bunch tho so I trust them for now.

Cross out any mistakes.

Interesting, I hadn't noticed that. It was only one mistake per line but when I asked the VFS officer if I could cross out/sign as I might normally do, he bought the tipex out. So if it is an issue I will seriously get up VFS about it. They seem like a friendly bunch tho so I trust them for now.

Thanks for the extra clarification, fingers crossed that your application will proceed without problem.

Your example does highlight an important point, not apparent to all, which is that vfs trendy are only agents for HMPO.

Certainly trendy's staff now know an awful lot more than they did a year ago and I suspect there are also penalties built into their contract with HMPO to ensure that correct forms and copies, etc are supplied as of rule.

But mistakes or misunderstandings do occur and it is HMPO Liverpool not vfs trendy who will make the call to reject an application, or request further input.

The general advice should always be to be do exactly what it says on the application forms/notes, unless trendy can produce an official document/reference permitting such variation.

Apologies if this has been discussed and I missed it, but ** how do I keep track of my application status? **

When I asked the VFS officer, he said I could track the DHL waybill number to and from? But from my (maybe mistaken?) understanding the waybill number applies to outbound only? It says delivered so what happens next? I assume this waybill # is now closed? The VFS officer told me it applied to return package as well, which I find hard to believe tho I did not argue point as his English was not great and I wasn't sure?

The VFS officer also mentioned he would email me and there is no web site I can track besides the DHL waybill number? So it's VFS email only now and hope the email doesn't go to spam whenever they might send it in next 6 - 12 weeks?

I should add VFS gave me a document that states as below - but this isn't what I am asking here. I don't want to be phoning up UK asking for status, I just what to track if passport is being processed or on return to Thailand date;

Contact the Passport Advice line

If you need to check on the processing of your application in the UK, you can do this by

calling the Passport Advice line and quote your DHL tracking number. There isn't an

application number, so you will have to answer some security questions to confirm your

identity:

Telephone: +44 (0) 300 222 0000 Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm (UK time) Saturday,

Sunday and public holidays, 9am to 5:30pm (UK time).

Edited by MJKT2014

Apologies if this has been discussed and I missed it, but ** how do I keep track of my application status? **

When I asked the VFS officer, he said I could track the DHL waybill number to and from? But from my (maybe mistaken?) understanding the waybill number applies to outbound only? It says delivered so what happens next? I assume this waybill # is now closed? The VFS officer told me it applied to return package as well, which I find hard to believe tho I did not argue point as his English was not great and I wasn't sure?

The VFS officer also mentioned he would email me and there is no web site I can track besides the DHL waybill number? So it's VFS email only now and hope the email doesn't go to spam whenever they might send it in next 6 - 12 weeks?

I should add VFS gave me a document that states as below - but this isn't what I am asking here. I don't want to be phoning up UK asking for status, I just what to track if passport is being processed or on return to Thailand date;

If you need to check on the processing of your application in the UK, you can do this by

calling the Passport Advice line and quote your DHL tracking number. There isn't an

application number, so you will have to answer some security questions to confirm your

identity:

Telephone: +44 (0) 300 222 0000 Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm (UK time) Saturday,

The DHL is as you say just tracking to the UK

Works really well too

After that it's just a case of waiting.

I did mine last month, around 2 weeks after it had arrived in the UK, it was back in Thailand, the VFS office will call you once they have it back.

And I think it was a few hours later I received an e mail from them too saying it was ready to collect.

All painless really.

The DHL is as you say just tracking to the UK

Works really well too

After that it's just a case of waiting.

I did mine last month, around 2 weeks after it had arrived in the UK, it was back in Thailand, the VFS office will call you once they have it back.

And I think it was a few hours later I received an e mail from them too saying it was ready to collect.

All painless really.

OK thanks for that more helpful answer than I got out of VFS. Reason for concern is it is a 2nd passport renewal and I may/may not be travelling with other passport during processing time (of 6-12 weeks they told me) so waiting on contact via phone/email from VFS seems a bit dodgier than me checking status on a web site that would have been all around more reassuring as to the status at any moment in time. Perhaps in another 10 years they might have progressed to that.

Appreciate your reply nevertheless, many thanks.

OK thanks for that more helpful answer than I got out of VFS. Reason for concern is it is a 2nd passport renewal and I may/may not be travelling with other passport during processing time (of 6-12 weeks they told me) so waiting on contact via phone/email from VFS seems a bit dodgier than me checking status on a web site that would have been all around more reassuring as to the status at any moment in time. Perhaps in another 10 years they might have progressed to that.

Is the passport which is being renewed the one which contains your latest Thai Immigration "Admitted Until" date stamp? If it is, you may encounter problems in trying to exit Thailand on your other passport.

Is the passport which is being renewed the one which contains your latest Thai Immigration "Admitted Until" date stamp? If it is, you may encounter problems in trying to exit Thailand on your other passport.

No its not, otherwise that would be a problem as you say. My other passport with a yearly Thai extension Non Imm O is still yet to be renewed.

I'm partly renewing this 2nd passport as a trial run to see how long/what s the VFS system it takes then plan my renewal of my other Thai visa based passport in a couple of years when I might also need to fly in out country on business during the 6-12 weeks wait for a new pp. I live year on year in Thailand on a marriage extentsion but fly out frequently on jobs. Waiting 6- 12 weeks won't do it, so I guess I will then fly into Thailand without my marriage extension visa passport in order to renew it over 6-12 weeks and fly in/out to work during same period with other passport on 30 day visa exempt? Either that or take 6-12 weeks off work!?

I put in my application for an appointment on 18th March and have yet to get a response. Anybody know how I can get a response from Trendy as to what is happening? sad.png

I'm new at this but when I put in my application it was by email, so I guess you are the same. Since its been more than 6 weeks since you applied, and you haven't got a reply why not resend the email and ask them what the heck is going on? It is possible they already replied and the response got mislaid, into spam folder etc. Such are the wonder of VFS running such a system methinks?

Note when they do reply (got my reply within 24 hours) and you hopefully get the email, they state if you don't answer the email the appointment time is assumed settled, and if you miss it you cannot reapply for 8 weeks!

I put in an application on 29th March and received a reply on the same day for an appointment tomorrow, so it does sound like something may have gone wrong.

I put in my application for an appointment on 18th March and have yet to get a response. Anybody know how I can get a response from Trendy as to what is happening? sad.png

identity:

As already posted above, to confirm the DHL tracking number you get from trendy only covers delivery to HMPO Liverpool and nothing else.

After that there is no online/web based tracking available.

The UK HMPO helpline cited above are normally totally useless and a waste of one's money/time to call , they are a contracted agency run by a private company based somewhere in the North of Ireland (Teleperformance).

The help line, if they will speak to you after the scripted security checks, can look at a database which indicates whether you application is received (you know this already from the DHL tracking), paid for (you know this already by checking your credit card), or 'in examination' (which lasts for the rest of the time your application is in the UK until it is printed then posted back to BKK).

Last time I dealt with the help had signed passport applications for my three year old son and six year old daughter when the HMPO help line refused to speak to me under the 'Data Protection Act', as I was not the applicant......blink.png

• Like 2