Changes To British Passport Services In Thailand

Thanks for the careful research DGK and do not be sorry you are a great asset the thanks are to you!

I will look for a friend I guess.

Maybe a friend with UK address and card would be good?

Then it could be a debit card?

(Have someone in mind who is working in KL but has residence back home)

• Like 1

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the careful research DGK and do not be sorry you are a great asset the thanks are to you!

I will look for a friend I guess.

Maybe a friend with UK address and card would be good?

Then it could be a debit card?

(Have someone in mind who is working in KL but has residence back home)

The K Web Shopping card is also very easy to get (you make an online application which is straightforward, but you will first need a Kasikorn Account with Internet Banking facilities).

As regards a friend's card, this could be anyone, plus you don't have to provide any evidence as to the (any) relationship between parties.

You will need to supply your friend's correct address (as per their credit card statement - address doesn't have to be in the UK), card number, their signature, plus three digit Security ID, all on the downloadable payment form.

Any valid Credit Cards, UK debit cards: Mastercard, Visa, Electron, plus Diners Club and JCB will also be fine.

• Like 1

Thanks for reminding me of the detail DCKey I already emailed friend and he said fine but I reckon he thinks he's making the payment himself..

On reflection I have paid for Skype with one of my Thai debit cards before, which is a regular Thai bank debit card. It went through.

Wonder what the difference is.

Could Skype maybe have bank accounts in all the countries and be being paid in local currency to avoid this situation and get the most possible income?

Or is the regular debit card actually working abroad.....it is after all on the visa or MasterCard network, and that network makes money from international transactions so why would they NOT work?

Just thinking...

Edited by cheeryble

Thanks for reminding me of the detail DGK I already emailed friend and he said fine but I reckon he thinks he's making the payment himself..

On reflection I have paid for Skype with one of my Thai debit cards before, which is a regular Thai bank debit card. It went through.

Wonder what the difference is.

Could Skype maybe have bank accounts in all the countries and be being paid in local currency to avoid this situation and get the most possible income?

Or is the regular debit card actually working abroad.....it is after all on the visa or MasterCard network, and that network makes money from international transactions so why would they NOT work?

Just thinking...

The difference is that the card and personal info is entered by the staff in the UK by keying in the info.

It is not the same as what you do with Skype and other online purchases. There is no verification process like you do the first time for a Visa card purchase on a site.

• Like 1

OK another question if you'd be so kind DCKey....

I asked a friend in KL if I could use his card details to which he happily agreed.

He then mentioned he had to sign it.

As I have an appt in two weeks and must send of my application to a friend before then to deliver, it again gets complicated.

I happened to notice a Kasikorn Bank today and went in.

Can I open an account easily and get a K Web Shopping Card?

You'll need a passport and a work permit.

I don't haven one will a tabien bahn do?

Yes.

So my question is:

Do we know for sure the Kweb shopping card works and out of interest why?

Thanks!

I asked a friend in KL if I could use his card details to which he happily agreed.

As I have an appt in two weeks and must send of my application to a friend before then to deliver, it again gets complicated.

Yes.

So my question is:

Thanks!

Here's a couple of links referring to successful use of the Kasikorn K Web Shopping Card for UK Passport renewal.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/777922-changes-to-british-passport-services-in-thailand/?p=8393775

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/777922-changes-to-british-passport-services-in-thailand/?p=9243783

Not sure as to exactly why this works, but:

1) Kasikorn K Web Shopping Card small print does not debar foreign/offline use for internet purchases.

2) If the card 'does what it says on the box', then it must be possible to supply one's card details 'effectively offline' to purchase from online systems/services like Lazada, where the website is merely a front for various 'hidden' small affiliate suppliers who are the ones actually taking your payment.

The point has also been made before that trendy just look for a payment form which is filled out with sensible looking data, they don't check that the payment is valid or the data's veracity - that is done by HMPO Accounts in the UK,. If there is any problem with the card details supplied, HMPO Accounts in the UK will contact you directly to try and resolve the issue.

So, either way, the Kasikorn K Web Shopping Card should work for you.

Good Luck.

Edited by digitalchromakey
  • Like 2

Thank you DCK most kind for adding the links, I will open an account today.

(Presume you're no relative to DSK? ;-) )

Cheeryble

ps To Soapy yes I will copy all passport pages in colour today

Edited by cheeryble

Yes.

So my question is:

Thanks!

In case you have trouble with the KWeb card- I spoke to the passport agency in the UK about this. They instructed me to sign the form on behalf of the card-holder and include a covering letter to explain that they had agreed to bear the charge- it all worked fine.

Thanks for that Slip....

Just for folks' information:

I went into a big Kasikorn bank today which happened to be handy.

I was met by a :"greeter" who like at the other branch said Do you have your passport and work permit?

Again i said i have passport and tabien bahn.

Thumbs up.

Went and started getting forms to fill in.

I have to admit I almost walked out at being given three US Govt tax forms to fill out.

I said I'm not American I'm British she said it doesn't matter.

No doubt the US has told the Kasikorn Bank that they won't be allowed to do business in America unless they comply.

Anyway...

I had to get 10,000 baht to put into the account to open it, and I had to pay 550 for the pleasure of a card and internet banking I think it was.

The setting of the pin number was done on the ATM outside which i hadn't seen before.

I guess I'll make a small purchase to just check then fill in that number on the passport form.

(I actually got a physical card.....covered, like the passbook in Hello Kitty........unlike SCB which was a virtual card where you only get told the number. In retrospect I think it can be that you can just have a virtual card and get the numbers.)

Edited by cheeryble

To add to the previous post.

I asked the girl twice if the card she gave me was a KWeb shopping card.

She said yes both times.

But I just looked online and have only heard folk talking of it as a virtual card.

I'm beginning to think what I have is just a Kasikorn debit card.

This may also explain the 550 baht fee which had two components 250 and 300.....I reckon maybe one is a debit card, and maybe one for online banking and/or the virtual card.

Looks like another trip to the bank.

Lucky I didn't hand in those details at Trendy on the basis of her response.

Edited by cheeryble

sorry, here's my 2p worth :-)

exactly as said before by digitalchromakey about the K-bank shopping card . When I got mine I had a normal Kasikorn savings account and an online account. I actually went to the branch and got them to sort it but it is on the left hand side menu in online banking. Once you have set a limit you have a 16 digit code like any other credit card, they will give you an expiry date and also a 3 digit code . These are all virtual you will not receive an actual card but can use it for online purchases. Hence the name :-) . I don't know 100% if it will work for the passport but in theory it has all the right criteria . If it has worked before for others then it should do. You can always call the very helpful :-) Kasikorn and press the appropriate key for English ...

Good luck but it should be quite easy to get your hands on the shopping card

She said yes both times.

But I just looked online and have only heard folk talking of it as a virtual card.

This may also explain the 550 baht fee which had two components 250 and 300.....I reckon maybe one is a debit card, and maybe one for online banking and/or the virtual card.

Charges here:-

http://www.kasikornbank.com/EN/Personal/Debit/Pages/KDebit.aspx

No fee for shopping card:-

http://www.kasikornbank.com/EN/Personal/Debit/Pages/KWebShopping.aspx

I got a password by SMS this morning from Kasikorn.

So before rushing off to the bank....a half hour drive....I went to the website.

I used the password and applied for a shopping card.

I think it all went smoothly and I chose username and changed to a new password etc.

But it came to a dead end whereas I wanted some sort of confirmation.

So I reopened cyberbanking.

It sens me a new one time password (OTP) but when I try to get in with it to look at card details it tells me I don't have an account to look at.

Can it be just a delay, I have to wait a certain time?

(rhetorical question unless someone happens to know smile.png kinda sharing my pain)

EDIT

Maybe it's answered by the later instructions here, i should read before I open my trap:

Application Procedure

• Login to KBank K-Cyber Banking. Click here
    (If you are not member, Click here to download application form)
  • Choose menu “K -Web Shopping Card” on the left and choose “K-Web Shopping Card Application”
  • Choose the bank account you want to use with K-Web Shopping Card and specify the amount limit for transactions (between THB 0 -THB 100,000), then click “Next”.
  • Press “Accept” after reading through the Term & Condition
  • Fill in OTP Password (Apply at K-Contact Center) and then press “Confirm”.
  • The system will inform you about your completed transaction and will send an e-mail to confirm at your e-mail address.
  • When K-Web Shopping Card number is issued, KBank will send an e-mail to notify you to check your Web Card details at K-Cyber Banking.
  • Increase your security with Verify by VISA. Click here

Guess I better wait a bit for an email.....

Edited by cheeryble

She said yes both times.

Yes, looks like you've got the debit card - they must have seen you coming smile.png

Never mind, I am sure it will come in handy at some point.

Don't go back to the bank, as madmonk888 posted, you can do it all now by logging onto the online banking service at home.

The K Web Virtual Shopping Card is free.

Edited by digitalchromakey

I got a password by SMS this morning from Kasikorn.

So before rushing off to the bank....a half hour drive....I went to the website.

I used the password and applied for a shopping card.

I think it all went smoothly and I chose username and changed to a new password etc.

But it came to a dead end whereas I wanted some sort of confirmation.

So I reopened cyberbanking.

It sens me a new one time password (OTP) but when I try to get in with it to look at card details it tells me I don't have an account to look at.

Can it be just a delay, I have to wait a certain time?

(rhetorical question unless someone happens to know smile.png kinda sharing my pain)

EDIT

Maybe it's answered by the later instructions here, i should read before I open my trap:

Application Procedure

• Login to KBank K-Cyber Banking. Click here

(If you are not member, Click here to download application form)

• Choose menu “K -Web Shopping Card” on the left and choose “K-Web Shopping Card Application”
  • Choose the bank account you want to use with K-Web Shopping Card and specify the amount limit for transactions (between THB 0 -THB 100,000), then click “Next”.
  • Press “Accept” after reading through the Term & Condition
  • Fill in OTP Password (Apply at K-Contact Center) and then press “Confirm”.
  • The system will inform you about your completed transaction and will send an e-mail to confirm at your e-mail address.
  • When K-Web Shopping Card number is issued, KBank will send an e-mail to notify you to check your Web Card details at K-Cyber Banking.
  • Increase your security with Verify by VISA. Click here

Guess I better wait a bit for an email.....

For reference, I already have a Kasikorn Current Account and Credit Card - but thought, 'why not?' and tried to apply on-line for the K Web Shopping Card.

Turns out you must first have a Bog Standard Kasikorn Savings Account plus internet banking enabled to get the K Web Shopping Card, no other account type will work.

You need to apply in person at any Kasikorn Branch for said Savings Account, then I was told, ask them to link it with one's existing on-line banking services, plus fill out a form - only after that can one then apply for the K Web Shopping Card.

For reference, I already have a Kasikorn Current Account and Credit Card - but thought, 'why not?' and tried to apply on-line for the K Web Shopping Card.

Turns out you must first have a Bog Standard Kasikorn Savings Account plus internet banking enabled to get the K Web Shopping Card, no other account type will work.

You need to apply in person at any Kasikorn Branch for said Savings Account, then I was told, ask them to link it with one's existing on-line banking services, plus fill out a form - only after that can one then apply for the K Web Shopping Card.

I guess that's what i did yesterday.....

hoping and waiting for an email.

Hi,

I am going to BKK this month for submitting my passport application at Trendy (Appointment already made).

Q. What do I expect from them after that? The receipt? The reference number?

Q. How do I trace my application status via internet? Will they tell me that?

Sorry if these are FAQ where I could not find in this very long forum.

Appreciate the response in advance

T

You will get a receipt that also includes a DHL tracking number.

You will get a phone call and an email when your new passport arrives in Bangkok.

That's great, thanks, Karen. wai.gif

The DHL Tracking number trail ends when your application is signed for at HMPO Liverpool.

You will then see that your credit card is debited about one -two working days after your papers arrive at HMPO Liverpool.

After that there is no on-line way of determining progress, as posted above, you will get a call from trendy when they have you replacement passport in BKK.

Providing there are no issues with your application paperwork/payment, then the reported turn around stands at around 2-3 weeks from application to collection notification.

• Like 1

Just to complete the circle:

I was about to run off to the KBank this morning, then I thought better call and get someone who speaks good English than listen to myself speaking Thai

THEN an SMS came on my phone. It MAY have been 24 hours after application anyway there was about a day wait.

I had NOT received an email as it mentions in the information from KBank above.

I did my best to read the Thai message.

It didn't mention a KWeb shopping card it just said Km alert spending for card x-1234 (last four numbers though I didn't realise it at this stage) is "riabroy laew" (all set to go).

I went to the cyber site and logged in with my new username and altered password. No prob....the site works fast and well.

I clicked on Kweb shopping card and discovered I had a card number and it was ACTIVE.

I double checked against the physical card issued already to ensure it was NOT the same 16 digit number. It was not.

It sure looks like i have a Shopping Card (virtual) ready to go.

I still have not received any emails as told.

Sure hope my little story helps make the next guy's application less confusing.

Thanks for all help, I shall complete my passport application henceforth!

Thanks for the update; looks like good news. clap2.gif

Good luck with your passport application, please keep the thread posted - thanks.

Just to complete the circle:

I was about to run off to the KBank this morning, then I thought better call and get someone who speaks good English than listen to myself speaking Thai

THEN an SMS came on my phone. It MAY have been 24 hours after application anyway there was about a day wait.

I had NOT received an email as it mentions in the information from KBank above.

I did my best to read the Thai message.

It didn't mention a KWeb shopping card it just said Km alert spending for card x-1234 (last four numbers though I didn't realise it at this stage) is "riabroy laew" (all set to go).

I went to the cyber site and logged in with my new username and altered password. No prob....the site works fast and well.

I clicked on Kweb shopping card and discovered I had a card number and it was ACTIVE.

I double checked against the physical card issued already to ensure it was NOT the same 16 digit number. It was not.

It sure looks like i have a Shopping Card (virtual) ready to go.

I still have not received any emails as told.

Sure hope my little story helps make the next guy's application less confusing.

Thanks for all help, I shall complete my passport application henceforth!

Well done Cheeryble

It could have been worse

You could have been building a house as well Ha ha