Great Airfares in Thailand

everett kendall

Much cheaper flying to Surat Thani (By Air Asia or Nok Air) from Bangkok Dom Muang Airport), and catching the ferry from Donsak to Nathon. Flight takes app the same time - about 1 hour), but the transfer from the airport to the ferry app 1 hour - 1 hour 30 mins, and another 1 hour 30 mins on the ferry to Nathon, so app an extra 3 hours on your journey. Total price return for 2 people about 2 weeks ago was just over 5000 baht, and equivalent price on Bangkok Air was about 16,000 baht! So, if you don't mind taking a bit longer over your journey - no contest! Plus if you're a first time visitor, the bus and ferry gives you the chance to see a bit of scenery. Happy hols!

After reading your OP I find it more astonishing that these airports have ceased using Thai currency. If I want to fly to Samui I now have to change my Thai Baht into $ .....is that the way it is now....strange that. It was so much handier when I could just use my Thai money.

• Like 1

Seems reasonable to me of course i only spent 2 minutes searching

attachicon.gifkoh samui.JPG

Blimey, does it really take five hours from Don Mueang to Koh Samui and seven and a half hours back?

A return fare of 4600 baht is a bargain for that long in the air.

Edit: okay, I see it's a Fly'n'Ferry service. Is it worth it?

Edited by wooloomooloo

would it be possible for everyone on Thaivisa, to put the prices in Thai Baht please, if someone writes in pound, or dollar or euro, or zwagili rand..... everyone have to start search exchange or calculate.. everyone should suppose to be able to estimate Thai Baht

Thank you

Oh, you want everything on a plate LOL

Does the brain good to have to use it a little LOL

The Don Muang to Surat Thani option seems even more reasonable to me!

Trip SummaryModify Search
Total: 9500 THB
Departing
  1. Economy
  2. Flight: PG155
  3. Depart: Bangkok (Suvarnabhumi), Thailand (BKK)
  4. departure: Thu 27 Nov/15:35
  5. Fare Basis: KWW
  6. Arrive: Samui, Thailand (USM)
  7. arrival: Thu 27 Nov/16:40
Arriving
  1. Economy
  2. Flight: PG146
  3. Depart: Samui, Thailand (USM)
  4. departure: Thu 04 Dec/15:45
  5. Fare Basis: Y
  6. Arrive: Bangkok (Suvarnabhumi), Thailand (BKK)
  7. arrival: Thu 04 Dec/16:50
Passengers: 1
Price Summary:
  • Fare view9100 THB
  • Taxes view400 THB
  • Discount
  • Fees
  • Ancillaries
  • Seats
TOTAL:
BOOKING SUMMARY

Total THB

Bangkok - Don Mueang (DMK) to Surat Thani (URT)
FD3231
DMK
URT
1535, 27 Nov 20141425, 27 Nov 2014
Fare
1 x 551.41 THB1 Adult(s)
Taxes and fees
138.60 THBAirport charges and fees
690.01 THB
FD3240
URT
DMK
1420, 4 Dec 20141320, 4 Dec 2014
Fare
1 x 1,199.07 THB1 Adult(s)
Taxes and fees
133.93 THBAirport charges and fees
1,333.00 THB
Total THB

Blimey, does it really take five hours from Don Mueang to Koh Samui and seven and a half hours back?

A return fare of 4600 baht is a bargain for that long in the air.

Edit: okay, I see it's a Fly'n'Ferry service. Is it worth it?

That is to Surratthanii air port, not directly to Samui, so involves bus and ferry ride.... that's why the extra time!

• Like 1

That is not to Koh Samui Airport or island, that is flight to Surat Than, than a bus to the pier and than a ship-ferry transfer for 2,5 - 3 hours +? With a boat and possibly rough seas. rolleyes.gif

Depends on your priorities i guess. If you don't mind paying an extortionate price to get from B/K to Samui with Bangkok Airways in an hour - go for it. On the other hand if you don't mind taking a little longer, but a lot cheaper go via Surat Thani.

If you are buying a ticket to Koh Samui, remember that besides Surat Thani, there is the same option of bus and ferry if you book to nearby Nakhon Sri Thammarat airport. (Air Asia "Fly-Ride" section when booking online, all booked as one)

When I went down from Bkk a little while ago, the cheapest deal with Air Asia at the time was to use Surat thani on the way there and Nakhon Sri Thammarat on the way home.

Best part of the holiday? The beautiful ferry trip through the Ang Thong National Park area, on the way, in my case, to Koh Phangan.

As, for KP, you have to go from Airport in KS to get a ferry anyway, the cheaper option for KP makes most sense, and the time could be identical, if, as for my trip, the bus link managed to catch am earlier ferry on the way (the 10 AM) and knock 2 or 3 hours off the advertised time..

I have gone to Koh Samui direct using Bangkok Air out of Swampy...B3000 for first flight of the day but quick and easy. Expensive taxis on Samui end, 6 to 700 Baht to Lamai.

Also have used Nok Air air/land/ferry combo via Surat Thani (about B2000)...Lots of walking, waiting, vaning; almost 11 hours by the time I got to hotel in Lamai. not including 2 hours advance time at Don Muang.

To me, just as good:

Bus (VIP) from Mor Chit, 24 seat, very comfortable (B1000 inc. ferry, bus to Lamai) usually about 12 hours to Lamai and IMHO, a more comfortable trip than air combo via Surat Thani without the uncertainty of delays and missed connections.

AFAIK, there is only one daily bus from Mor Chit (many more from Southern Bus Terminal) and it usually needs to be purchased in advance. Window 21

Every year since 2009, my husband and I have travelled from Singapore to Koh Samui in January and February. Since last year, airfares have risen from THB 11500 per person to THB17250 last January and to THB 20285 next January. I realize that this is the high season but what justifies the increase? Especially since oil prices are down. Our friend who runs a high end resort tells us that his occupancy is way down. With airfares this high, I am not surprised. Yes, we know Bangkok Airways wants to recoup their investment in the airport but this is price gouging. Unfortunately we can only travel during January/February so we may have to make other plans and by pass Samui/Thailand all together.

Yes, I agree that Bangkok Airways seem to be hiking their already expensive prices up to another level, so why don't you (a) send/e-mail a complaint to their Customer Services Dept and ask them to justify their reasons, and (B) check if other airlines could take you to Surat Thani or another mainland airport, Nakhon Sri Thammarat (as per next OP). I'm sure (not really!) that Bangkok Airways will eventually get the message, but unfortunately they seem to be following the old Thai logic - "We have less customers, so we will have to put our prices up"! Crazy eh? And the same applies to bars and numerous other "tourist traps".

Edited by sambum

That is not to Koh Samui Airport or island, that is flight to Surat Than, than a bus to the pier and than a ship-ferry transfer for 2,5 - 3 hours +? With a boat and possibly rough seas. rolleyes.gif

Depends on your priorities i guess. If you don't mind paying an extortionate price to get from B/K to Samui with Bangkok Airways in an hour - go for it. On the other hand if you don't mind taking a little longer, but a lot cheaper go via Surat Thani.

-sambum-

-yankee99- posted in a way, at least I understood it in that way, as he has found "The egg of Columbus" = travel to Koh Samui (Airport) with a plane in a cheap way.

I believe, the way threw Surat Thani or Nakhon Sri Thamarat is a completely different pair of shoes.

So I tried to show that.

Anyway, I not care Koh Samui, I was there and I find it to small for me. rolleyes.gif

Edited by ALFREDO