New passport overseas...old visas?

I just want to confirm that if one receives a new passport while overseas, the Thai extension of stay and re-entry remain active if both new and old passports are presented upon return?

Am I also right to assume that upon extending the stay, one just takes both passports and required docs and the new extension is placed in the new passport - and the old passport is no longer needed for anything...

No problem to enter and use both passports. Just show the re-entry permit in the old one and get stamped in the new one.

Then go to immigration and they will transfer the stamps to the new passport.

If a new extension is due they will transfer the stamps first and hand the old one back to you. Then they do the extension in the new passport. My immigration office did that and made copies of the transferred stamps in my new one to attach to my application and trashed the copies of my old passport I had attached.

• Like 1

No problem to enter and use both passports. Just show the re-entry permit in the old one and get stamped in the new one.

Then go to immigration and they will transfer the stamps to the new passport.

If a new extension is due they will transfer the stamps first and hand the old one back to you. Then they do the extension in the new passport. My immigration office did that and made copies of the transferred stamps in my new one to attach to my application and trashed the copies of my old passport I had attached.

Thanks. Is there any deadline to have the stamps transferred over? Or just before your next travel/90 report/extension of stay?

And if you are transferring it in Chiang Mai allow plenty of time - I've so far failed to get mine transferred in 4 visits, I'm always too late all the tickets have gone for today.

I do wonder what will happen if I go for my extension (already booked on-line) and immigration have still not managed to find the time to transfer the visa?

Don't forget to get an embassy letter regarding the new passport.

Thanks, so even if the passport was issued overseas and already used to travel into Thailand, the embassy letter is required still?

Depending on the office, they might be willing to accept an official receipt you got when you paid for your passport overseas.

Don't forget to get an embassy letter regarding the new passport.

Thanks, so even if the passport was issued overseas and already used to travel into Thailand, the embassy letter is required still?

I was in the same situation as you and a letter from the embassy was NOT required. At passport control I showed my re-entry permit in my old passport, and they stamped me in on my new passport that I got while back in UK.

At the immigration office they said that if I had got my new passport while in Thailand then the letter would have been requried, but because I got it from outside of Thailand and had the entry stamp in the new passport they would transfer the visa extension no problem. So that is what they did, no letter needed.

Oh, and I had no payment receipt either, as I had to give this to the passport collection counter in order to get the new passport.

Edited by Jay1

I was in the same situation as you and a letter from the embassy was NOT required. At passport control I showed my re-entry permit in my old passport, and they stamped me in on my new passport that I got while back in UK.

At the immigration office they said that if I had got my new passport while in Thailand then the letter would have been requried, but because I got it from outside of Thailand and had the entry stamp in the new passport they would transfer the visa extension no problem. So that is what they did, no letter needed.

Oh, and I had no payment receipt either, as I had to give this to the passport collection counter in order to get the new passport.

It would be helpful when doing posts like this to mention which immigration office it was because not all offices have the same policy.