'I Hate Thailand' star comes clean: Video funded by TAT

webfact

'I Hate Thailand' star comes clean: Video funded by TAT
By Coconuts Bangkok

ihatethailand2.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The star of the popular feel-too-good video “I Hate Thailand” said this evening the production was indeed funded by Tourism Authority of Thailand.

Oliver Smith, who appears as “James” in the video’s sugary tale of boy-loses-bag, boy-gets-girl which has been met with equal parts love and hate, told Coconuts today the project was indeed a scripted work by production company "Hub Ho Hin" that was paid for by the government to remind the world of the hospitality and friendliness of Thai people.

"It was funded by TAT," Smith said by e-mail. " I believe the purpose of making it was to portray Thailand in a good light. This is another angle on Thailand, an upbeat angle that shows the friendly, accommodating Thailand that a lot of expats and travellers alike can relate to."

Thailand’s image has been battered by an unrelenting storm of real-life incidents and crises. So the video seems a government attempt to counter reality with fiction.

Although the video was heavily staged, Smith said he can't deny he has experiences similar to those in the video.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2014/11/20/i-hate-thailand-star-comes-clean-video-funded-tat

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2014-11-21

• Like 2

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now is it possible that the ''star'' of this cunning stunt is still here in Thailand or has this cunning stunt forced a move abroad along with perhaps a reluctance to return after his confession that the window dressing was excellent but in truth the character along with the stock was and is flawed?

fsr_banner2.jpg

Edited by siampolee
  • Like 2

The 2015 discover Thainess campaign will be fantastic and should boost the tourist numbers to the Kingdom making it No1 destination on the planet and showing the world that it is very safe with courteous service minded people who love tourists.

http://www.tatnews.org/thai-tourism-team-presents-%E2%80%9C2015-discover-thainess%E2%80%9D-campaign-at-wtm-2014/

http://www.thaiembassy.org/chennai/en/news/4113/51329-2015-Designated-%E2%80%9CThainess%E2%80%9D-Tourism-Year-%281411201.html

• Like 2

To say this is all B.S. would be wrong.. It does show the two sides of Thailand? But why the video I thought and been reading from the government how the tourist are coming in waves? Maybe this was just one of those white lies Thai tell that feel as long as it is beneficial to them it is OK?

They shot themselves in the foot now they should expect themselves to walk around like they did get shot! look in the mirror and you will find and see the problem try putting that on a video if you can?

In fairness, the best bit of marketing done by TAT for years.

Cheesy, but a good effort.

Did people really believe 100 Thais would take to a beach with candles for free to find someone's bag?

Yes, I was a good effort.

And yes, maybe not 100 people, but a dozen or so to help look for one's bag.

Now is it possible that the ''star'' of this cunning stunt is still here in Thailand or has this cunning stunt forced a move abroad along with perhaps a reluctance to return after his confession that the window dressing was excellent but in truth the character along with the stock was and is flawed?

fsr_banner2.jpg

Cunning stunts or stunning c*nts, Whatever, Thailand has it all.

cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif

(I'm sorry, spoonerisms are a feature of my speech in real life.)

Edited by TechnikaIII
  • Like 2