Thai police: Sentence in body parts case may have been low

webfact

So if get this right I can murder someone chop them up package them send to an address is the states and say it's chocolate and if I get caught I'm charged for filing false information about cargo and let go?

They are trying to defend the indefensible .

Well no, i thought they stole the body parts.

There was no proof or indication they stole the parts when questioned by police. How do they suspect them of stealing something when they don't even know if and who the victim might be? The certainly could have done more but not like they could have got answers quick and not sure how long they could hold them while investigating and/or filing charges.

And of course you could not chop somebody up and .... if you can't see the difference it is not worth explaining.

Keep in mind too that police could probably make an arrest if they witness a crime but not one they are investigating without a warrant. Not really different than most places. However, in the US I do know they can arrest somebody and hold them without charge or appearing in front of a judge for anywhere from 48 to 72 hours. I would think police in Thailand have the same authority ... seems they messed up as the story indicates.

In the end it is about a couple petty and ignorant thieves getting away ... not really a big deal except just odd because of what they stole.

Regarding para 3, it's actually 84 days here... thought we all knew that by now! wink.png

No it's not, a judge has to approve the multiple 12 day detention, not the police. That means arrests and charges have to be made and suspects need to appear in court first. Thought we all knew that by now.

• Like 1

"Chawalit said the officers would have needed arrest warrants to detain them further..."

Right. The police never detain or arrest anyone unless that first have an arrest warrant. I might not have that much intelligence, but the little I do have has really been insulted by your BS statement. bah.gif

"I might not have that much intelligence, but the little I do have..."

I don't think anyone is going to dispute that bearing in mind your understanding of what the police said in relation to detaining people without warrants in these kind of circumstances.

They could have done a lot of things. But they didn't . That's the whole reason this thread exists.

As you said before you started contradicting yourself, there was nothing else the police could have done at the time of the release. The only offence that had been committed was that of falsely describing the contents of the courier parcel, at that stage the hospital did not even know some items had been stolen.

Regarding para 3, it's actually 84 days here... thought we all knew that by now! wink.png

There was no proof or indication they stole the parts when questioned by police. How do they suspect them of stealing something when they don't even know if and who the victim might be? The certainly could have done more but not like they could have got answers quick and not sure how long they could hold them while investigating and/or filing charges.

And of course you could not chop somebody up and .... if you can't see the difference it is not worth explaining.

Keep in mind too that police could probably make an arrest if they witness a crime but not one they are investigating without a warrant. Not really different than most places. However, in the US I do know they can arrest somebody and hold them without charge or appearing in front of a judge for anywhere from 48 to 72 hours. I would think police in Thailand have the same authority ... seems they messed up as the story indicates.

In the end it is about a couple petty and ignorant thieves getting away ... not really a big deal except just odd because of what they stole.

With everything about 84 days being in the press, odd you still don't get it. The police cannot hold somebody for 84 days without going before a judge and no judge is going to hold somebody for theft when there is no proof an item is stolen nor is anyone claiming the items were stolen from them. Minor offenses often don't require arrest anywhere and a case like this in other places likely would be handled in a similar fashion with police taking a report and turning it over to detectives. Sure a hard nosed cop could do more but freaking Amazing some posters here would be up in arms about them holding a fellow foreigner for days while they investigated them to see IF a more serious crime took place. A no win situation for police but always a win for those who want to whine and act superior after the fact.

The police can do whatever they like. I think they've proved that with the whole Kho Tao affair.

Just make it up as they go along.

"Just make it up as they go along"

Like so many ThaiVisa posters.

• Like 1

With everything about 84 days being in the press, odd you still don't get it. The police cannot hold somebody for 84 days without going before a judge and no judge is going to hold somebody for theft when there is no proof an item is stolen nor is anyone claiming the items were stolen from them. Minor offenses often don't require arrest anywhere and a case like this in other places likely would be handled in a similar fashion with police taking a report and turning it over to detectives. Sure a hard nosed cop could do more but freaking Amazing some posters here would be up in arms about them holding a fellow foreigner for days while they investigated them to see IF a more serious crime took place. A no win situation for police but always a win for those who want to whine and act superior after the fact.

The police can do whatever they like. I think they've proved that with the whole Kho Tao affair.

Just make it up as they go along.

"Just make it up as they go along"

Like so many ThaiVisa posters.

Brilliant! Even John Thailand John agrees.

So if get this right I can murder someone chop them up package them send to an address is the states and say it's chocolate and if I get caught I'm charged for filing false information about cargo and let go?

They are trying to defend the indefensible .

No mate...thats Red thinking...fortunately illegal these days

Yeah, the items in question now appear to be museum pieces

- but the cops didn't know that at the time.

It's completely irrelevant to their escape.

I don't suppose we'll ever learn what punishment the cops received.

I assume they'l have to share the spoils.

This place is completely off the rails.

"This place is completely off the rails."

Well, no, it's just that it's very hard for foreigners to understand. Trust me, I've been here a long time, Thais have reasons for what they do. The reasons may seem strange or even crazy to you, but they seem good to the Thais, which is what matters. Also, something I've noticed about Thailand, truth is so valuable here that it's rarely given out freely. The United States is becoming like that; it's just that Thailand is a few years (couple of centuries?) ahead of us.

• Like 1

I'd love to see those two clowns arrested and extradited to Thailand to face charges. How daft must one be to steal HUMAN BODY parts from a museum?!?!?! and then post them to friends?!?!?!?!

Idiots, the both of them!

And the police officer who let them go should also be punished accordingly.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

"I don't suppose we'll ever learn what punishment the cops received."

Punished for what? Read your own first paragraph.

All the cop knew was that the unidentified remains of several human beings were in the posession of two tourists- and they let them walk. What kind of police let a person walk in those cirtcumstances?

I'm not sure how my first paragraoh conflicts.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

"I don't suppose we'll ever learn what punishment the cops received."

Punished for what? Read your own first paragraph.

All the cop knew was that the unidentified remains of several human beings were in the posession of two tourists- and they let them walk. What kind of police let a person walk in those cirtcumstances?

I'm not sure how my first paragraoh conflicts.

In what circumstances? Doesn't appear to be illegal to possess such items. At most they had on them was filling out a shipping form incorrectly. They clearly were not part of recent murders and were more more medical pieces. The type of things you can see in schools and medical offices all over the world as well as in people's private collections in some countries.

I can only imagine the outrage here and bashing if these two farangs were held for days in jail only to find out they had purchased the items legally at a market.