Fake Phuket monks used donations for partying and drugs

webfact

Fake Phuket monks used donations for partying and drugs
Eakkapop Thongtub

1416536979_1-org.jpg
Manit and Sod after their arrest.

PHUKET: -- Two phony monks were arrested on Wednesday (November 19) in Patong while soliciting donations.

Manit Keawsen 33, and Sod Namjaidee, 49, both from Suphanburi, were arrested on Phrabaramee Rd after a call from a resident who was suspicious about their authenticity.

After the call, patrol officers were sent to look for the duo and found them talking to people on the street and handing out envelopes. When asked for their official monks’ IDs, both men said they had forgotten to bring the IDs with them.

Both were sent to Kathu for questioning and were searched. Officers found 1,000 donation envelopes with the address of a wat in Kanchanaburi, along with B2,780 in cash and – the real giveaway – some condoms.

A check with police records showed that both had been arrested before, in Hua Hin, for posing as monks. Manit was also arrested in August for possession of drugs.

The two admitted masquerading as monks, and said they could make B8,000 to B10,000 a day and used the money for partying and drugs.

They were defrocked and charged with fraud and misleading people into believing they were Buddhist monks.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/fake-phuket-monks-used-donations-for-partying-and-drugs-49742.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-11-21

These look like the two wandering around the sois of Sai Yuan a few days ago. You tell they're fake. Monks solicit donations very early in the morning and they don't usually carry envelope stuffed ornate silver pots with them and tell the dogs to f#ck off laugh.png

I don't donate to monks on the street anymore - because of people like these two.

There should be a specific charge, carrying a harsh penalty, for this type of fraud.

There is a specific charge. Real monks should never collect cash, it is illegal.

Edited by Sviss Geez

These look like the two wandering around the sois of Sai Yuan a few days ago. You tell they're fake. Monks solicit donations very early in the morning and they don't usually carry envelope stuffed ornate silver pots with them and tell the dogs to f#ck off laugh.png

I think I saw those 2 this morning while I drove by in Sai Yuan.

I don't donate to monks on the street anymore - because of people like these two.

There should be a specific charge, carrying a harsh penalty, for this type of fraud.

There is a specific charge. Real monks should never collect cash, it is illegal.

If that is the case then there are atleast a couple of hundred fake (criminal) monks going up and down my soi every morning.

Edited by tingtongfarang

I got the death stare once from a monk when I saw him sporting a rolex and a hot babe on each arm standing next to a top of the line people mover. It was then I knew why we shoud never look at monks. Made absolute sense to me at the time. I actually asked him where can I join up and he gave me one of those "if looks could kill" looks and muttered some thing that had the word falang. Seeme he did not take it kindly to being found out.

• Like 1

so one of them was previously arrested for the same crime? Must not have been much of a punishment if he is at it again. Without any accountability or punishment I expect we will see these two again soon.

Here in Bkk you see these scammer fake monks begging for money all the time. Many of them not even Thai. Give a share to the BIB they will let you do whatever you want on their streets (at least the BIB sell the streets like they think they own them).

How can they be defrocked if they have never been frocked?

just asking.wai2.gif

I think you just rip their robes off and wink at them.you never know.

On the contrary, I thought that if you ripped their robes off, theirs would wink at you???!!!

and that is why .... those people deserve 0 respect and 0 baht

as anyone can "pretend" to be a monk ... specially liked by criminals on the run ... shave your head, wear a robe and accept donations

NO THANK YOU

buying you way to heaven (merit) is all common in western beliefs that lost their credibility long time ago (pedo priests and other abuses)

• Like 1